Spinoff Topic: Best Era In PWG History

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Spinoff Topic: Best Era In PWG History

Postby SoCalAndy » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:59 pm

Taken from the next show thread, this thread could be fun to talk about. Personally, I think the 2003/Early 2004 era of PWG was awesome. The crowds where really great in terms of show enjoyment, and the matches where a lot of fun. The Joey Ryan vs. Super Dragon feud was the best feud in PWG history, and guys like Bobby Quance and Hook Bomberry putting on great technical matches. And as TigerDriver98 said:

I kinda miss the old venues, and the Older style PWG. It had a much better feel to it with the smaller crowds (back when PWG was a great little secret among 200 or so die hards that didn't need AJ on the card in order to show up. I'm sure PWG likes the extra money they get now though)

The old venues where so rad. The Elks Lodge lighting sucked though, and the acoustics where weak. However, the Elk Statue that was donated by Monday Night Football ruled. I'm going to have to go back and steal that "Head Elk" sign. The old school JCC was my favorite PWG venue. I wish PWG could have stayed there, too bad Joey Ryan had to join the PLO and get PWG kicked out of there.

Right now, the new era from December till now has been really cool wrestling wise, and the storylines are great.
SoCalAndy

Postby onlxn » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:47 am

Yeah, the era you're referencing may be my favorite era of PWG. The run of shows from "Taste The Radness" to "The Musical" just had really perfect mixes of talent. You had the Thomasellis doing matwork, the Pitbulls striking and working submissions, Quance's crisp flying, Pearce heeling it up, and even some nice tight undercard work from Kahn and Bomberry. Those shows really gelled, because they didn't go from spotfest to spotfest to spotfest -- they had changes of pace in every match, and the crowd reacted accordingly.

But as Andy points out, the shows have also been super-strong in the last couple months. I think it's because the Guerrilla brass have gotten back to varying the roster in terms of style. Koslov brings something new to the table - he's not yet another Rev Pro-esque flyer. Ronin, though trained in Rev Pro, differs stylistically from those guys. Davey Richards has been a HUGE asset to shows, by wrestling a stiffer and simpler style than most of the roster. And perhaps most importantly, they're doing a better job of choosing pricier talent. They've got an assload of local spot guys, so there's no need to fly many guys like that in. Sabin's been consistent enough that he's stuck around, but they don't fly Petey out anymore, and they aren't booking Frankie as consistently. And when they do book big names, it's now usually guys who bring something different, either hard hitters like Roderick and Joe or mat technicians like Hero or Shelley. That's EXACTLY what they should be doing.

IMO, the company had a mini-slump in the middle of '05, and it was because their big-name talent (AJ, Sabin, Petey) wrestled the same spotty style as the mid-card talent (Generico, Scott, the Rev Pro guys). Other than Reyes, who did an incredible job of providing something different (fly him in! fly him in!), the shows got a little monotonous. But that's changing now, and all credit to PWG for recognizing the problem.

One last thing: I enjoyed the Elks Lodge more as a venue, as it was more charming and more comfortable. However, PWG is doing the right thing by running where they do. The Hollywood JCC is in a real population center that's easily reachable from the major highways, and it's a cramped, intense venue. That makes it hotter, smellier and less pleasant for those of us in attendance, but that's sort of the way wrestling should be. More importantly, the JCC shows come off as a lot hotter and more intense on DVD than the Elk's Lodge shows ever did. I'll admit that I find a lot of the "clever" JCC audience members really annoying... still, it makes for much louder, more amped-up wrestling, and that's important.
onlxn

Re: Spinoff Topic: Best Era In PWG History

Postby sghost » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:28 pm

too bad Joey Ryan had to join the PLO and get PWG kicked out of there.

[/quote]

Could you please elaborate on this. Is this a joke, I could never picture a hardcore christian not supporting Israel and instead supporting PLO.
sghost

Re: Spinoff Topic: Best Era In PWG History

Postby TigerDriver98 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:52 pm

sghost wrote:too bad Joey Ryan had to join the PLO and get PWG kicked out of there.

Could you please elaborate on this. Is this a joke, I could never picture a hardcore christian not supporting Israel and instead supporting PLO.[/quote]

http://www.socaluncensored.com/board/sh ... hp3?t=5284 should answer your question.
TigerDriver98

Postby Peace » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:38 pm

Era's?! Are you fucking serious!? PWG hasn't even been around for 5 years. Get the fuck outta here.

Learn to enjoy the present before you can look into the past.
Peace

Postby astro_zombie » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:52 pm

Peace wrote:Era's?! Are you fucking serious!? PWG hasn't even been around for 5 years. Get the fuck outta here.

there have been highly noticeable changes in pwg over the span of their existence... you cant really lump all of the recent stuff into the same category as the earlier shows... there have been several noteworthy changes (storyline-wise, dvd production, commentary [bosh fucks pigs :lol: ], audio/visual improvements, fly-in talent). i think its fair to separate pwg into "eras"
astro_zombie

Postby It's A Bomb » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:21 pm

Peace wrote:Era's?! Are you fucking serious!? PWG hasn't even been around for 5 years. Get the fuck outta here.

No need to be a dick. There is no real set of rules that define when a promotion can or can't have eras. PWG can easily be divided up as to what eras they have had.

Late 2003/Early 2004: The Old JCC/Elks Lodge era
Late 2004: The New JCC/Post Reason For The Season Era
April 2005-July 2005: Post All Star Weekend Era with the rise in popularity of PWG
August 2005-November 2005: The Kevin Steen/Chris Bosh/Super Dragon/AJ Styles/Joey Ryan Main Events era
December 2004-Now: PWG going international/Joey Ryan title run and the rise of Chris Bosh era

That's the way I've seen things. And you can enjoy the present and look into the past at the same time and compare things now to the way they where.
It's A Bomb

Postby bford24 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:25 pm

It's A Bomb wrote:

No need to be a dick. There is no real set of rules that define when a promotion can or can't have eras. PWG can easily be divided up as to what eras they have had.

Late 2003/Early 2004: The Old JCC/Elks Lodge era
Late 2004: The New JCC/Post Reason For The Season Era
April 2005-July 2005: Post All Star Weekend Era with the rise in popularity of PWG
August 2005-November 2005: The Kevin Steen/Chris Bosh/Super Dragon/AJ Styles/Joey Ryan Main Events era
December 2004-Now: PWG going international/Joey Ryan title run and the rise of Chris Bosh era

That's the way I've seen things. And you can enjoy the present and look into the past at the same time and compare things now to the way they where.

Nice job. How the hell can you question me when you throw out this crap? You explain to me being so smart how you can go from 03 to 04 to 05 back to 04.
bford24

Postby It's A Bomb » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:31 pm

It's called a typo. Maybe you never heard of it in Hollywood since you're busy with your lifestyle of being some studio's punk, but people do make mistakes. Thanks for ruining the topic.
It's A Bomb

Postby bford24 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:34 pm

I didn't ruin a thing.
bford24

Postby Ryan! » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:47 pm

The OG JCC and Elks Lodge era was IMO the best. Everyone was excited to go to shows. The fly in talent used to get huge amounts of love when they were announced. They were also less frequent so the fans appreciated them more. If a fly in was on the card everyone would go crazy saying stuff like "OMG PWG RULEZ!!!!" Now if there isnt any fly ins people post "Im not going. There's no AJ." The crowds also seemed to be more about having a fun time and not trying to see which group could "get themselves over". The roster was also more varied than it is today. The shows had something for everyone where as today most of the matches are similar.

The Elks Lodge also has to be one of my favorite venues because of the seating and parking situations. I didnt even mind the hour drive I had to make. Knowing that I could park next to the head elk made me want to go to shows. Plus as Andy pointed out, the statue donated by Monday Night Football definetly helped.
Ryan!

Postby SoCalAndy » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:54 pm

IMO, the company had a mini-slump in the middle of '05, and it was because their big-name talent (AJ, Sabin, Petey) wrestled the same spotty style as the mid-card talent (Generico, Scott, the Rev Pro guys). Other than Reyes, who did an incredible job of providing something different (fly him in! fly him in!), the shows got a little monotonous. But that's changing now, and all credit to PWG for recognizing the problem.

I disagree. PWG's product was really starting to set the tone for what was to come. The crowds where starting to grow, and the Dragon/Steen feud along with the AXP's run for the titles made things great. The onyl downside for me was the work of Chris Daniels starting to decline and Petey not putting any effort into his matches. PWG had it's problems, no doubt aboutt hat. I'm sure the October shows could be considered a mini-slump with the fall in attendence, but shows where getting better around that time too. And I agree on flying out Ricky, he would be more useful to shows than guys like AJ or Daniels.

And like Ryan said, the fans back then where awesome. I remember getting excited reading about guys like Chris Hero or American Dragon being brought in. The atmosphere back then was amazing, where as now things are getting annoying with people trying to get over(IE all the Tard Boys and belt fags and liars and Juggalos).
SoCalAndy

Postby Paul Burns » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:57 pm

Wait....theres Juggalo's at PWG events now?
Paul Burns

Postby SoCalAndy » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:57 pm

Yeah, and they're ugly and they smell.
SoCalAndy

Postby Paul Burns » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:01 pm

Its weird....I consider myself an ICP/Twiztid fan, but some hardcore "juggalos" are total idiots, while others are laid back and don't really care. I'm guessing you've got the idiot ones *sigh*
Paul Burns

Postby astro_zombie » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:28 pm

juggalos suck and should die
astro_zombie

Postby Paul Burns » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:52 pm

*On goes the suit and glasses*

Many say that about wrestling fans. Its usually the stupid, faggotry wrestling fans that get attention, much the same with le juagglos. Look what you've all become!!!

...I'm not making any sense.
Paul Burns

Postby CheMateo » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:33 pm

Paul Burns wrote:theres Juggalo's at PWG events now?

What do these juggalo's look like? Are they those annoying looking fans, like long hair but shaved on the sides and don't believe in wearing underwear. The no underwear policy really disgusted me at ASW 2.
CheMateo

Postby SoCalAndy » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:40 pm

Juggalos usually dress like wiggers, only the jerseys they wear are of "Juggalo" music stuff. Here is a picture of some Juggalos:

And if anyone remember, there was a guy on the ringcrew who flipped off the crowd when they told him to pull his pants up. That guy was a Juggalo.

Now, enough of the Juggalo talk.
SoCalAndy

Postby onlxn » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:51 am

SoCalAndy wrote:

I disagree. PWG's product was really starting to set the tone for what was to come. The crowds where starting to grow, and the Dragon/Steen feud along with the AXP's run for the titles made things great. The onyl downside for me was the work of Chris Daniels starting to decline and Petey not putting any effort into his matches. PWG had it's problems, no doubt aboutt hat. I'm sure the October shows could be considered a mini-slump with the fall in attendence, but shows where getting better around that time too.

I think we basically agree. There was definitely a lot of great stuff going on last summer -- the AxP's chase of the tag titles and Steen's ascendance, as you point out, being the two big ones -- and it definitely was a growth era for the company. My only beef with that period is that the big name showcase matches were often A) not all that great and B) aerial and spotty, a lot like the work of most of the locals. Daniels and Petey were two of the main culprits, yeah. But I think Frankie, A.J., Sabin and even Scott, though they were generally sharper, were also part of the problem. There were just a few too many guys looking and wrestling the same way. That's becoming less of an issue again.

And I agree on flying out Ricky, he would be more useful to shows than guys like AJ or Daniels.

Yup. Adds freshness to the card, because he looks different and wrestles different. (And, most importantly, he wrestles really fucking well.)
onlxn

Next

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum