PWG's Camera Filming

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

PWG's Camera Filming

Postby Paul Burns » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:21 pm

So I popped in Allstar Weekend Night 1 today, and was pretty dissapointed with the cameraing. Theres lots of awkward shots that are either not zoomed in enough or TO zoomed in (As the floorcam did a number of times) On some of my 2003/04 shows I noticed the same thing but didn't pay much attention to it, and hoped PWG had made it cleaner and easier...but from what I'm seeing, it hasn't.

I dunno, seems nit-picky but its really annoying. Does anyone else find the filming of the events to be a little unprofessional?
Paul Burns

Postby bford24 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:24 pm

I have only seen 1 of the dvd's and I felt it was alright. It isn't the best but for what it is I have no problem with them. Hopefully one day when PWG gets even bigger they can get a good professional to do the dvd's.
bford24

Postby SoCalAndy » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:46 pm

Maybe PWG can hire you to bring the camera guy some drinks during the show, or switch tapes for him!

So I popped in Allstar Weekend Night 1 today, and was pretty dissapointed with the cameraing. Theres lots of awkward shots that are either not zoomed in enough or TO zoomed in (As the floorcam did a number of times)

Yeah, the floor camera was horrible. Although the guy doing it wasn't PWG's usual camera guy. This guy was a "professional". The camera work for PWG is great(although the hardcam stuff after BOLA hasn't been great) and there's no need for improment.
SoCalAndy

Postby bford24 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:48 pm

I didn't say anything about you Andy in this topic. Lay off.
bford24

Postby Paul Burns » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:03 pm

In retrospect I'm watching Jason Takes PWG...and the camera work is like, moving along with the action and stuff.....and, whose that INCREDIBLY hot chick at ringside during Tornado/Generico?
Paul Burns

Postby astro_zombie » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:26 pm

bford24 wrote:I didn't say anything about you Andy in this topic. Lay off.

:? wtf?

dude, you are touchy and confusing
astro_zombie

Postby CheMateo » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:23 pm

Paul Burns wrote:whose that INCREDIBLY hot chick at ringside during Tornado/Generico?

Yeah that is Sarieha, I believe her name is. She is quite the number. I personally like her better than Jade Chung, not that I'm insulting Jade. I wish she would have worked more PWG shows.

I'm usually pretty content with the camera work. But just guessing that maybe the Guerrilla Warfare match from this past December could have used more cameras due to its wild nature, along with Dragon's great beat down on Zokre. But I've been wondering lately, why PWG doesn't use one or two more cameras, I think it would help so the regular camer guy wouldn't have to run around or have any awkward shots.
CheMateo

Postby Paul Burns » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:14 am

CheMateo wrote:
Paul Burns wrote:whose that INCREDIBLY hot chick at ringside during Tornado/Generico?

Yeah that is Sarieha, I believe her name is. She is quite the number. I personally like her better than Jade Chung, not that I'm insulting Jade. I wish she would have worked more PWG shows.

I'm usually pretty content with the camera work. But just guessing that maybe the Guerrilla Warfare match from this past December could have used more cameras due to its wild nature, along with Dragon's great beat down on Zokre. But I've been wondering lately, why PWG doesn't use one or two more cameras, I think it would help so the regular camer guy wouldn't have to run around or have any awkward shots.

Yeah thats a good idea, but I reckon they haven't done that because:
a) To much money
b) Would take way longer to edit, and as a result, dvds would be delayed/take longer to come out.

ROH used 3 camera's for Joe/Kobashi and it was awesome, I feel PWG should do the same, it'd definately tone up their look and professional feel.
Paul Burns

Postby CheMateo » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:28 am

Paul Burns wrote:b) Would take way longer to edit, and as a result, dvds would be delayed/take longer to come out.

Yeah that sounds dissapointing as it has taken them awhile to release certain DVDs lately. However I have a digital camera that I would gladly loan them for shows. All they would need to provide is the tapes and the extended life batteries.
CheMateo

Postby HeartPunch33 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:42 am

Interesting note about that chick Sarieha, she was the first chick eliminated in the Los Angeles round of the last WWE Diva Search contest (before the final contestants were chosen). They showed her on tv crying after getting the heave-"ho." It's funny that a chick that hot at an indy show, can't even sniff a shot in the big time. Too bad, she's really hot and was a pretty cool chick as well
HeartPunch33

Postby Suicidal Youth » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:29 pm

The only time I've ever been agitated with PWG camera work was as ASW 1 Night 1 when Super Dragon's Flying Double Foot Stomp to Generico's head was completely blocked on the hard cam shot(which begs the question of why they didn't use the floor cam shot, but whatever).
Suicidal Youth

Postby Mac Machine » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:37 pm

bford24 wrote: Hopefully one day when PWG gets even bigger they can get a good professional to do the dvd's.
Which two or three flyin's do you want them to stop bring in so they can pay for that? I'd rather have them spend the money on the shows and the talent myself. Don't like the DVD's? Move to LA.
Mac Machine

Postby shyboy13 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:46 pm

Chris V,

As one of PWG's biggest fans, I would like to say thank you for giving my favorite promotions good reviews. I know the reviews are well deserved as PWG has been doing a great job. Your reviews help the promotion grow by getting the word out to people who may not otherwise purchase the product. I also would like to thank you for pointing out some of the things you feel are flawed. Without a doubt the product can be improved. They will not improve the product unless they are aware that an improvement CAN be made. I am happy that the DVD quality (camera, sound, lighting, etc) has improved since the BOLA. At the same time, I think it can improve even more. The DVD quality is still not as good as ROH, IWA-MS, or CZW and I cannot wait until the day it is. PWG's fanbase is much greater than SoCal. The DVDs are the only way that most fans are able to see the shows. Higher quality DVDs are more likely to acquire/maintain a larger fanbase. Since I do not have access to PWG's financial data, I can only speculate that ticket sale revenue is only a portion of the revenue that PWG receives. The only other major source is DVD sales. Without DVD sales, I think the PWG product would drastically worsen due to a major source of revenue.

PWG will always have diehard fans such as myself who will support the product. It is the fans outside of Los Angeles who make PWG one of the hottest feds in the US today. Keep up the good work PWG! Thanks again Chris V for helping PWG obtain this success.

note: I never said Chris V singlehandedly made PWG great.
shyboy13

Postby scrub » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:37 pm

I think the PWG DVD's far exceed other wrestling indy DVD's. The artwork and the DVD menus are tremendous. Re: BOLA.
scrub

Postby Paul Burns » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:40 pm

scrub wrote:I think the PWG DVD's far exceed other wrestling indy DVD's. The artwork and the DVD menus are tremendous. Re: BOLA.

The only indy dvd's I buy are from PWG and ROH, and ROH's production is far far superior and the filming is always great (In the 25+ shows of ROH I have I think I recall, one...maybe 2 awkward camera shots ever)
Paul Burns

Postby Slappy » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:08 am

Joe vs Punk 2 was nearly unwatchable due to the drastic change in white balance between the 2 cameras.
Slappy

Postby Paul Burns » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm

Slappy wrote:Joe vs Punk 2 was nearly unwatchable due to the drastic change in white balance between the 2 cameras.

Oh yeah I forgot ROH sometimes has two different colours for some shows (which I also find annoying)
Paul Burns

Postby theleapinglemur » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:18 am

I havent seen a PWG dvd since the next show and use your illusion 3. The camera in those was absolutely dreadful. Filming from the back was stupid. You could see people moving all the time and that was really annoying. Has the camera got any better since e.g. closer to the ring without the heads?
theleapinglemur

Postby astro_zombie » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:33 am

theleapinglemur wrote:I havent seen a PWG dvd since the next show and use your illusion 3. The camera in those was absolutely dreadful. Filming from the back was stupid. You could see people moving all the time and that was really annoying. Has the camera got any better since e.g. closer to the ring without the heads?

i just watched ASW2, Chanukah Chaos, and Astonishing XMas and i really enjoyed the camera action... good times there, IMO
astro_zombie

Postby Rish To The Rosh » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:18 am

The camera work on Astonishing X-Mas was excellent, they handled the very difficult Guerrilla Warfare match really well.
Rish To The Rosh

Next

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum