The "Which DVDs Should I Get" Super-Thread

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Re: The "Which DVDs Should I Get" Super-Thread

Postby Kamikaze » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:08 pm

CheMateo wrote:
GravityMan wrote:
LunchBoX wrote:It really is a shame that Quicksilver is retired, i was really starting to get into his matches, he was a damn good wrestler. Id like to see him return.

All the concussions he has received took a toll on him. I blame Super Dragon for this due to killing Quicksilver with multiple Barry White Drivers and the different versions of Psychodrivers
That's a bit preposterous. Considering the last two concussions Quicksilver got were in matches without Super Dragon.

He got one at Guitarmageddon 2 and the one before that was Passive Hostility when he faced B-Boy and Super Dragon.
Kamikaze

Postby CheMateo » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:29 pm

Kamikaze wrote:He got one at Guitarmageddon 2
Right, that was his last match.

and the one before that was Passive Hostility when he faced B-Boy and Super Dragon.
Are you sure? I don't recall hearing anything about a concussion. I don't think anything that serious happened to him at Passive Hostility. The concussion before Guitarmageddon 2 that I can recall was at ASW 2.
CheMateo

Postby stylesclash516 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:23 pm

i have the following pwg dvds

based on a true story
chaunakuh chaos (the c's are silent)
astonishing x-mas
88 miles per hour
zombies shouldn't run
smells like steen spirit
holy diver down
guitarmaggedon II
passive hostility
card subject to change 2
enchantmeant under the sea
hollywood globetrotters

i want to know which other ones i should get.
stylesclash516

Postby SenimSilla » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:48 pm

Check out the All Star Weekends and BoLA's.
SenimSilla

Postby supersonic » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:48 pm

Everyone needs to get a copy of the Musical. For the ROHbots, your main event is Samoa Joe vs. Bryan Danielson, but there is also one of the worst segments I've ever seen involving one Tedward Hart.
supersonic

Postby PWG4ever » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:24 pm

Is PWG good with re-stocking DVD's? Because I would love to buy them all chronologically lol.
PWG4ever

Postby WannaB » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:02 pm

PWG4ever wrote:Is PWG good with re-stocking DVD's? Because I would love to buy them all chronologically lol.

It's rare that the old ones get restocked; especially the first several shows. If there is something which is not available on PWG's site, then you can always check Highspots.com. They have just about everything from Taste The Radness on up to the present.
WannaB

Postby TheZeroMan » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:28 am

I hope 70/30 and Album of the year are good because I just got that deal with them and All Star Weekend V.

I LOVE Mat Classic.

Love.
TheZeroMan

Postby SenimSilla » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:30 am

70|30 was a good show, Album of the Year was not. Though AotY features Generico/Davey, which was really good.
SenimSilla

Postby TheZeroMan » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:48 pm

SenimSilla wrote:70|30 was a good show, Album of the Year was not. Though AotY features Generico/Davey, which was really good.

Which BOLA was better in your or anyone else's opinion? I'm going to order 2006 or 2007. I'm sure they were both good but if you were going to order one first which would you get? Anyone please help me.
TheZeroMan

Postby WannaB » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:17 pm

TheZeroMan wrote:Which BOLA was better in your or anyone else's opinion? I'm going to order 2006 or 2007. I'm sure they were both good but if you were going to order one first which would you get? Anyone please help me.

It depends on your taste. Night 3 of BOLA 2007 is arguably the best show PWG has ever produced, and for that matter one of the best indy shows ever. It has Pac/Claudio, CIMA/Shingo, Pac/CIMA, Shelley/Sydal, Shelley/Strong, Generico/Dragon Kid, Generico/Strong/CIMA... all of which were amazing. Night 1 had a good tag opener, Pac & Jack which was really fun, Strong & Aries which was probably the tourny match of the night, and a great tag team main event in Generico & Steen vs. Dragon Kid & Susumu Yokosuka. Night 2 had Shingo vs. Scott Lost which I think is one of the most underrated matches of that tournament, and Dragon Kid vs. Susumu.

The 2006 BOLA has a different vibe on DVD. Night one had some okay matches, Strong vs. Romero (the first of their series in PWG). Night two caters more to the fans of hardcore. A brutal tag title match with The Briscoes vs. Lost/Bosh vs. B-Boy/Homicide. This match can be summed up in two words, "fork stabbing." Plus it has the Super Dragon vs. Necro Butcher match which was simply incredible. Night 3 of '06 was very much like night 3 of '07 in that everyone steps up their game for their final matches and delivers some incredible performence. Generico/Sabin was great. Generico vs. CIMA is considered the '06 match of the year for PWG by many. The loser-tag was hilarious.

You really should own both, but if you have to choose I'd say go with '07 as it will keep you a little more up to date with PWG, it has much better production values (although both years are leaps ahead of other companies including ROH), and it has (at least I think) a couple more matches than '06 which will make your jaw drop. Get '07 now, and later go back and get '06.
WannaB

Postby delbusto » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:34 am

I would also strongly recommend BOLA 2007, as in my opinion the wrestling is just outstanding for all 3 nights. You get amazing matches such as Yokosuka vs Dragon kid, Steenerico vs Yokosuka/Dragon kid, Shingo vs CIMA, Shingo vs Scott Lost, Austin Aries vs Roderick Strong, and CIMA vs El Generico vs Roderick Strong. Keep in mind though I have never seen BOLA 2006, just giving my opinion on 2007.

Very good show :D
delbusto

Postby The Psycho Shooter » Wed May 07, 2008 4:05 am

Hello, I'm a new PWG-Fan from Germany. I already bought all three nights of the BOLA 2007 and i loved it! Anyway, I plan on ordering some more DVDs from the PWG Website, this time i want to buy 4 DVDs.

I'm definately getting All Star Weekend 5 Night 1 & 2 from 2007, but i'm not so sure about the other two. I also thought about buying Cruisin' for a Bruisin' from 2006 and Zombies (Shouldn't run) from 2005, but before buying DVDs which are not so good, I rather ask here.

So what "non big" show (no BOLA's) would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!
The Psycho Shooter

Postby maxx powerz » Wed May 07, 2008 8:14 pm

I'd consider it to be a big show, but its non-BOLA, so I'd say the first DDT4 from last year. Seven tag team matches over the two nights, and besides the Pitbulls/TPB match from Night 1, I'd consider all the matches to be well above average. The finals are fantastic. So a must have if you like tag team wrestling. And in addition, you've got Danielson/CIMA and Generico/Steen on Night 1, and then Generico/CIMA, Danielson/Ryan and a really fun fourway on Night 2.

If you're looking for lower profile shows, Based on a True Story in 2007 with Tornado vs. Ryan and Frankie vs. Scorpio in grudge ending finales and Enchantment Under the Sea with Dragon & Davey vs. Bosh & Lost, Briscoes vs. Generico & Quicksilver and a bunch more from 2006 have always been two of my favorites.
maxx powerz

Postby The Psycho Shooter » Thu May 08, 2008 3:02 am

maxx powerz wrote:I'd consider it to be a big show, but its non-BOLA,...

I actually meant that BOLA is a big show, sorry if it wasn't so clear. I also first wanted to buy a DVD with a Super Dragon match (sorry for don't mentioning that). Enchantment under Sea looks like a really good show. What are your thoughts about Cruisin' for a Bruisin' and Zombies (shouldn't run), if you have seen these shows. I saw that Zombies is liked by many people on this board, but i couldn't find anything about Cruisin' for a Bruisin'.
The Psycho Shooter

Postby delbusto » Thu May 08, 2008 7:59 am

Not sure about Cruisin for a Bruisin, but I received my copy of Zombies (Shouldnt Run) yesterday, and I must say it is an amazing DVD. EVERY match on there delivers, but the ones that stand out are Super Dragon/Quicksilver, Richards/Romero, AJ Styles/Steen, and 2 Skinny Black Guys/Arrogance. These matches are soooo good with all of these guys just giving it their all. I would DEFINATELY recommend getting this DVD! Like, right now! :D
delbusto

Postby Dr.Gonzo » Thu May 08, 2008 11:32 am

I really liked Cruisin and would recommend it. The opening match between Claudio and Hero was fun and the show was closed with a great main event with Super Dragon and Davey vs Cape Fear.
Dr.Gonzo

Postby The Psycho Shooter » Fri May 09, 2008 10:23 am

I bought All Star Weekend 5 Night 1 & 2, Zombies (Shouldn't run) and Enchantment under sea now, i hope i made the right decision, i'll buy Crusin for a Bruisin the next time then, thank you all for the help :) .
The Psycho Shooter

Postby stylesclash516 » Fri May 09, 2008 6:27 pm

The Psycho Shooter wrote:I bought All Star Weekend 5 Night 1 & 2, Zombies (Shouldn't run) and Enchantment under sea now, i hope i made the right decision, i'll buy Crusin for a Bruisin the next time then, thank you all for the help :) .

very rarely can you make a bad decision when it comes to buying pwg dvds.
but next time you will definately have to get holy diver down, based on a true story, and giant sized annual #4
stylesclash516

Postby Project Satan » Sun May 18, 2008 6:59 pm

So I am missing a big portion of 06 and all of 07. I was wondering which of these deals would go best. I would rather not spend over $100 - $110, so keep that in mind.

Giant Size Annual #4 is a must for me.

- BOLA 2006: $34.95
- Self Titled/Horror Business/All Star Weekend IV Night 1 & 2: $40
- Passive Hostility/Based on a True Story/Guitarmageddon II/Holy Diver Down: $40
- Album of the Year/70-30/All Star Weekend V Night 1 & 2: $40
- DDT4/Roger Dorn Night: $35
- BOLA 2007: $34.95
- European Vacation #2 Pack: $40
- High Cost of Doing Business/ASW6 Night 1 & 2/Pearl Habra: $40
- Scared Straight/Dia de Los Dangerous: $25

For shows without deals from 05 - 07 I am missing
2nd Annual Bicentennial Night 1
2nd Annual Bicentennial Night 2
Straight to DVD
Beyond the Thunderdome
Hollywood Globetrotters
All Star Weekend 3 Night 1
All Star Weekend 3 Night 2

- Passive Hostility/Based on a True Story/Guitarmageddon II/Holy Diver Down $40
- Giant Size Annual #4 $15
- BOLA 2007 $35

Total: $90
Seemed like that was the best to go with.
Project Satan

PreviousNext

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum