The "Which DVDs Should I Get" Super-Thread

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Re: The "Which DVDs Should I Get" Super-Thread

Postby TigerDriver98 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:19 pm

Rockambition wrote:Hey guys I am a fairly new fan of PWG. I know of a fair amount of the roster due to exposure of Ring of Honor as I'm from the east coast. My question is what PWG shows of 2008 do you recommend? I have heard good things about the All Star Weekend Shows and I have been fortunate enough to see BOLA 06 so I was thinking about picking that up sometime when that is available as that is on pre-order.

As far as 2008 goes:

All Star Weekend 6, 1.21 Gigawatts, Life During Wartime, All Star Weekend 7, and BOLA 08 are the must own PWG shows of 2008.

If you want to dig any deeper than that: Pearl Habra, Dia De Los Dangerous, and the 2008 DDT4 are well worth your time.

The other 2008 PWG shows ("Scared Straight", "It's a Gift and a curse", and "It's It") all have their share of good to great stuff on them, but I wouldn't recommend them for new fans.

Also while I am at it are there any crucial shows I should get regarding the feud between Human Tornado and Chris Hero? It seemed like a great feud to me. Any help would be appreciated.

If you just want to see the best matches of the feud, I'd say High Cost Of Doing Business, All Star Weekend 6, Pearl Habra, 1.21 Gigawatts and Life During Wartime are what you should get.
TigerDriver98

Postby Colt Banana » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:30 am

Hey, I'm pretty new to PWG and so far all I've gotten is ASW7 and Life During Wartime plus I've orderd BOLA2008. So I'm planing on getting some of the older shows and I was wondering which is better, ASW4 or 5? Also which deal has the better shows in the specials page, the one with Threemendous, The O.C. etc or the one with Passive Hostility and Holy Diver Down? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Colt Banana

Postby SenimSilla » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:52 am

You can't go wrong with ASW4 or 5, either one's a great pick up.

And I'd say Holy Diver Down/Passive Hostility/Based on a True Story/Guitarmageddon II: Armoryageddon is a better deal.
SenimSilla

Postby Colt Banana » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:46 pm

Thanks man, but I just checked and both of the ASWs are out of stock, which is a HUGE bummer, so instead of getting the deals which had those ASWs, I'm going to get two of the following 4 sets, the 2 before(Holy Diver Down, Passive Hostility, etc, and Threemendous,The OC) or the deal with DDT4 07 or BOLA 07. Sorry for the hassle and again any help would be much appreciated.
Colt Banana

Postby maven effect » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:45 am

Is 70/30 worth purchasing? The card looks pretty good, and I am especially interested in. Generico vs. Daniels.
maven effect

Postby TigerDriver98 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:55 pm

maven effect wrote:Is 70/30 worth purchasing? The card looks pretty good, and I am especially interested in. Generico vs. Daniels.

Yeah, I would recommend 70|30. It wasn't an amazing show, but it was pretty solid. I'm not a huge fan of Daniels, but I did enjoy his match with Generico here. My favorite matches from this show were Romero vs. Shelley, Sabin and Lost, and Tornado vs Disco Machine (Mainly thanks to the hilarious commentary). The DVD also featured promos before and after a few of the matches, which really added to the DVD. I wish they would do that on more DVDs...
TigerDriver98

Postby Mr_BodyBag » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:40 pm

Im rocking the same 'fairly new to PWG' boat. Ive followed the promotion loosely for the past few years but really wanna get more into it. Ive noticed the shows which people have suggested but what im specifically looking for is some great matches from the duo of Chris Bosh and Scott Lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
Mr_BodyBag

Postby Whoblehwah » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:16 am

Mr_BodyBag wrote:Im rocking the same 'fairly new to PWG' boat. Ive followed the promotion loosely for the past few years but really wanna get more into it. Ive noticed the shows which people have suggested but what im specifically looking for is some great matches from the duo of Chris Bosh and Scott Lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

I would suggest picking up "Beyond the Thunderdome", "Enchantment Under the Sea", and "Zombies (Shouldn't Run)". You'll get Arrogance (Bosh and Lost)

vs. Cape Fear (El Generico and Quicksilver)
vs. Super Dragon and Davey Richards
vs. 2 Skinny Black Guys (El Generico and Human Tornado)

Also you could check out "Crusin' for a Brusin'" which features them going against each other in a great number one contenders match and a absoulutely classic main event (Super Dragon and Davey Richards vs. Cape Fear).
Whoblehwah

Postby Whoblehwah » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:39 am

Oh btw, you should add "Holy Diver Down" to that list. I has Arrogance vs. The Motor City Machine Guns (Alex Shelly and Chris Sabin), Kevin Steen vs. PAC, and Human Tornado vs. El Generico. I havn't got this show yet but I've heard its a classic.
Whoblehwah

Postby PhenomenalONE » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:36 am

I dont own any PWG DVD's. What are some shows from 2007 and 2008 that I should buy to help me get into PWG?
PhenomenalONE

Postby WannaB » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:13 am

PhenomenalONE wrote:I dont own any PWG DVD's. What are some shows from 2007 and 2008 that I should buy to help me get into PWG?

Based On A True Story
Holy Diver Down
All Star Weekend 5 (nights 1 & 2)
DDT4 - Dynamite Duumvirate Tag Team Title Tournament 2007 (nights 1 & 2)
GIANT Size Annual #4 (4th anniversary show)
Battle of Los Angeles 2007 (nights 1, 2, & 3)
- It's always a really good value to just get the entire set of BOLA even if there's a disc that doesn't interest you. Also night 3 is by far the best night of wrestling ever in PWG.

If you buy the Best Of DVD entitled PWG Sells Out for $15 you'll get 9 hours of matches which includes some matches from all of the above events that I just listed.

All Star Weekend 6 (nights 1 & 2)
Pearl Habra
- The show Pearl Habra was unusually bad for the live audience, but for some reason it comes across GREAT on DVD.
1.21 Gigawatts
DDT4 - Dynamite Duumvirate Tag Team Title Tournament 2008 (nights 1 & 2)
Life | During Wartime (5th anniversary show)
- I thought Life | During Wartime may have been PWG's best show of the year.
All Star Weekend 7 (nights 1 & 2)
- In my opinion this wasn't the best ASW, but there are some good matches.
Battle of Los Angeles 2008 (nights 1 & 2)

In all honesty you can rarely ever go wrong with the anniversary shows, BOLAs, or All Star Weekends, so I'd suggest you go with those to start off.
WannaB

Postby Colt Banana » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:49 am

Ok, so I need to choose three of the following
Astonishing X-Mas
Based on a True Story
Giant Size Anual #4
Holy Diver DFown
Passive Hostility
Uncanny X-Mas
Zombies Shouldn't Run

God that Guerrilla grab deal is glorious!
Colt Banana

Postby Kaijin » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:41 pm

Passive Hostility and Zombies Shouldn't Run are both really good.
of the rest, I'd get Holy diver down, but i haven't seen giant size annual or based on a true story.
Kaijin

Postby Colt Banana » Mon May 04, 2009 5:19 am

Thanks for the advice man, I appreciate it.
Colt Banana

Postby Tarfoo » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:39 pm

I'm interested in getting Uncanny X-Mas sometime soon, since the card looks very solid, but is it any good?
Tarfoo

Postby maven effect » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:13 pm

I know it's silly to ask for thoughts on these shows, because I actually just bought all of them, but I just wanted to start some conversation.

So, what are your guys' thoughts on:

- After School Special
- Hollywood Globetrotters
- Beyond The Thunderdome
- Enchantment Under The Sea
- Self-Titled
- Horror Business
- All Star Weekend IV (Both Nights)
maven effect

Postby TigerDriver98 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:36 am

Tarfoo wrote:I'm interested in getting Uncanny X-Mas sometime soon, since the card looks very solid, but is it any good?

Yeah, Uncanny X-mas was a great show for the time. I think it is one of the best overall PWG DVDs as well. It includes a very funny commentary with Colt Cabana sitting in with Excalibur and Disco (featuring this hilarious moment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Rbk8RfJ2w among others ) Plus around 18 minutes of bonus promos and stuff.

maven effect wrote:I know it's silly to ask for thoughts on these shows, because I actually just bought all of them, but I just wanted to start some conversation.

So, what are your guys' thoughts on:

- After School Special
- Beyond The Thunderdome
- Enchantment Under The Sea
- Self-Titled
- Horror Business
- All Star Weekend IV (Both Nights)

Let's see..

- After School Special is a very underrated show. Only 6 matches, but each of them delivered in my opinion.

Hollywood Globetrotters/Beyond The Thunderdome are both very good shows with some awesome tag matches on them. SD/Davey vs Strong/Evans from HG and Arrogance vs Cape Fear from Thunderdome are both must see.

Enchantment Under Sea is one of my favorite PWG shows ever. The card pretty much speaks for itself and the aftermath of the main event is very very memorable.

Self Titled: This was sort of a mixed bag type of show. From what I remember the crowd was most dead and it hurt a few of the matches. And I'd say the "First blood" stip really hurt the otherwise enjoyable Kazarian vs Sky/Jade match. Both tag matches from this show are very good however.

Horror Business: Not quite as good as it may look on paper, but it was still a pretty good show. I especially enjoyed Lost/Davey, Joey/Generico and Bosh/Tornado from this one.

ASW4: You can't go wrong with any All Star Weekend. This one in particular has some very cool stuff on it, such as PAC literally becoming a star before your eyes, and the great MCMGs vs Jacobs/Black match that still gets a ton of praise on the net.

Good choices I'd say. I'm sure you will enjoy them, I just hope you like dusty finishes ;)
TigerDriver98

Postby ninjaskrzypek » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:25 am

Highspots has a ton for $5. What do you guys recomend?
ninjaskrzypek

Postby Kaijin » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:20 pm

ninjaskrzypek wrote:Highspots has a ton for $5. What do you guys recomend?

The $5 dvds are:
- Based on a true story
- Horror Business
- Threemendous
- ASW 3 nights 1 and 2
- Hollywood globetrotters
- European vacation germany
- Chanuka chaos
- ASW 2 nights 1 and 2
- smells like steen spirit
- 2nd annual bicentennial birthday show nights 1 and 2
- guitarmageddon
- ASW 1 nights 1 and 2
- Jason takes PWG
- Uncanny xmas
- Free admission
- use your illusion 3
- reason for the season
- the next show
- free admission
- the musical
- kee the ee out of our ool
they are also selling after school special for $1.

of these, I'd highly recommend:
- Threemendous
- 2nd annual birthday show nights 1 and 2
- any of the ASWs.
also, $1 is a massive bargain for after school special, you may as well get that too, it's pretty good.
Kaijin

Postby ninjaskrzypek » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:52 am

Which shows have the best matches with Super Dragon and Davey richards as a team?
ninjaskrzypek

PreviousNext

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum