The "Which DVDs Should I Get" Super-Thread

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Postby PWG_Silverback » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:37 am

It seems like there's an abnormal amount of these posts popping up, and the new message board supports merging of topics, so all question about which DVDs are right for you should go here, please.
Last edited by PWG_Silverback on Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PWG_Silverback
Site Admin

DVD order help!!!

Postby truemetalhero » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:31 pm

have only money for 3 DVDs so which one should I pick up

-Zombies shouldn
truemetalhero

Postby WannaB » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:32 pm

Zombies is a must. From Parts Well Known is a very underrated show. And the Germany show was pretty cool. The OC show was good as well, but I personally am not to interested in it. I'd get that one or the Germany show.
WannaB

Postby Dangerous Robot » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:45 pm

I'd skip the two Europeaan shows and Black Planet if you're short on cash.
Dangerous Robot

Postby TigerDriver98 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:52 pm

I go with Zombies, From Parts Well Known and The OC from that bunch.

"Zombies" is a top to bottom classic PWG show.

"From Parts Well Known" as mentioned is a pretty underrated show.

I think "the OC" is overrated by some people, but it's still a good show. It's very heavy on the comedy.
TigerDriver98

Postby WannaB » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:34 pm

TigerDriver98 wrote:I think "the OC" is overrated by some people, but it's still a good show. It's very heavy on the comedy.

Yeah, it seemed like everyone decided to take their matches in the direction of comedy that night. Plus the main event seemed like a bit of a clusterfuck, but still good.
WannaB

Postby KENTA » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:41 am

EV2 UK has some 'eh' matches, but PAC/Tornado and Steenerico vs Davey/Dragon are pretty must see.
KENTA

Postby truemetalhero » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:03 pm

really tough decission...not one show sounds really bad but most of the cards don
truemetalhero

Postby CheMateo » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:24 pm

The cards may not seem great to you but believe me Zombies is a top to bottom great show. Every one worked hard on that show. From Parts Well Known is also truly underrated show. Fun with good action. I guess it gets overshadowed by Threemendous. You won't regret those two choices. As for a third choice I'd go with the Euro Vacation Germany show. Great matches in the very cool Musikpallete venue. Or wait for Euro Vacation II to be released.
CheMateo

Postby Rednave » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:11 pm

Hi, I don't want to start a new thread and since this tread is asking the same question I'm asking I'll just post it here.

I'm pretty new to PWG, just got BOLA 2005 & 2007 (A Christmas present from me to me) and started watching them and I'm really enjoying what i see, so I'm going to take advantage of the buy 5 get 1 free deal and I'm having some problems trying to decide what to get, so far I've decided on; (This topic helped me already)

Zombies Shouldn't Run
Smells Like Steen Spirit
Astonishing X-Mas
Permanent Vacation - Card Subject To Change 2

But I'm not sure what the last 2 I should pick are, I like the look of the European Vaction shows, but any advice people could offer would be greatly appreciated. Those 4 are pretty dead certs, but if there is a show people think I should pick up instead I'm willing to listen.

I also like pretty much any style of wrestling and I don't mind that much comedy in matches either.

Thanks, and sorry for hijacking the thread.
Rednave

Postby SenimSilla » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:17 pm

I assume you're talking about one of the PWG website deals? If so, the following shows are all shows I really enjoyed:

Holy Diver Down (Shelley & Sabin/Arrogance and Steen/PAC were awesome, Tornado/Generico was a really good main event, the undercard is alright, but those three matches are worth the price)

Based on a True Story (Tornado/Joey was a great main event, Bosh/Steen was pretty good, Cape Fear/Los Luchas was fast paced and a really good tag match, Rocky/Cabana was fun, and Frankie/Sky was very well done)

Hollywood Globetrotters (Dragon/Davey vs. Jack/Strong was terrific, Sabin/Shelley was very crisp, Cape Fear/Arrogance was good, and the undercard was ok)

All Star Weekend IV [Night 2] (PAC/Generico was loved by many, including myself, the 4-way tag title match was great, Joey/Quicksilver was good, Cabana/Daniels was hilarious, Styles/Romero was a great technical match, and the rest was all good)

There are plenty of other shows that I'd reccomend, but I don't think you can go wrong with any of those shows.
SenimSilla

Postby truemetalhero » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:33 pm

would you really recommend

-Smells Like Steen Spirit
-Card Subject to Change 2

how about

-Straight to DVD (those got rave reviews)

plmk your thoughts

thanks
truemetalhero

Postby WannaB » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:05 pm

truemetalhero wrote:would you really recommend

-Smells Like Steen Spirit
-Card Subject to Change 2

how about

-Straight to DVD (those got rave reviews)

plmk your thoughts

thanks

Straight To DVD is often considered a very underrated show, but just the same there are still a lot of shows that are more entertaining.

Card 2/Perm Vac. was a really interesting show, but it might have more appeal to serious wrestling fans. The main event was 50 plus minutes Very good show.

Smells Like Steen was another good one. Fun card, fun matches.

If you're looking for the MUST-HAVES, or at least the more popular titles...

88 Miles Per Hour
The Musical
Reason For The Season
Uncanny X-Mas
All Nude Revue
ASW 1 (both nights)
2nd Annual Bicentennial Birthday Extravaganza (night 1)
Zombies Shouldn't Run
Smells Like Steen Spirit
BOLA 05'
Astonishing X-Mas
Card Subject To Change 2
Hollywood Globetrotters
Beyond The Thunderdome
ASW 3 (night 2)
Enchantment Under The Sea
Threemendous
BOLA 06'
ASW 4 (both nights)
Based On A True Story
Holy Diver Down
ASW 5 (both nights)
DDT4 (night 2)
GIANT-Size Annual #4
BOLA 07'

I haven't really seen anything prior to Taste The Radness so I can't attest to their quality. But as for the ones I just listed I'm pretty sure that's close to a full list of the more popular PWG DVDs.
WannaB

Postby Rednave » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:58 pm

Thanks for the suggestions people, really appreciated it.
:) Yeah I meant the PWG website deal in my original post, sorry if i didn't make it clear.

In the end I went for;

1- Zombies Shouldn't Run
2- Smells Like Steen Spirit
3- Astonishing X-Mas
4- Permanent Vacation - Card Subject To Change 2
5- Hollywood Globetrotters
6- All Star Weekend IV [Night 2]

But I decided that since I have (or now had) more money than sense, I went and got these as well;

Giant Size Annual #4
Passive Hostality
Based On a True Story
Guitarmageddon II
Holy Diver Down

I was originally going to get "Based On a True Story" & "Holy Diver Down" as part of my choices in the deal, but when I saw them in their own deal with the other two I decided to just get it, for $10 more getting two other DVDs in a good deal in my books.

Now I'm stuck, do I watch BOLA 2007 or should I wait till this order arrives and watch them in order?
Rednave

Postby Dangerous Robot » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:19 pm

Rednave wrote:Now I'm stuck, do I watch BOLA 2007 or should I wait till this order arrives and watch them in order?

I say get started with BOLA 2007 while you wait for your order. Three amazing nights of wrestling and it won't ruin any of the storylines in the DVDs you've ordered.
Dangerous Robot

Postby SenimSilla » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:02 pm

Rednave wrote:Thanks for the suggestions people, really appreciated it.
:) Yeah I meant the PWG website deal in my original post, sorry if i didn't make it clear.

In the end I went for;

1- Zombies Shouldn't Run
2- Smells Like Steen Spirit
3- Astonishing X-Mas
4- Permanent Vacation - Card Subject To Change 2
5- Hollywood Globetrotters
6- All Star Weekend IV [Night 2]

But I decided that since I have (or now had) more money than sense, I went and got these as well;

Giant Size Annual #4
Passive Hostality
Based On a True Story
Guitarmageddon II
Holy Diver Down

I was originally going to get "Based On a True Story" & "Holy Diver Down" as part of my choices in the deal, but when I saw them in their own deal with the other two I decided to just get it, for $10 more getting two other DVDs in a good deal in my books.

Now I'm stuck, do I watch BOLA 2007 or should I wait till this order arrives and watch them in order?

Nicely done. You won't be disappointed.
SenimSilla

Postby adamcoven » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:12 pm

these are some of my favorite dvd to watch from PWG.

Uncanny X-Mas
Zombies Shouldn't Run
Card Subject To Change 2
Hollywood Globetrotters
Beyond The Thunderdome
Enchantment Under The Sea
Threemendous
BOLA 06'
Based On A True Story
Holy Diver Down
GIANT-Size Annual #4
adamcoven

Re: DVD order help!!!

Postby Chicago's Finest » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:11 pm

I didn't want to start another "DVD order help" thread, so I figured I'd just use this one. Anyway I was looking for some good indy wrestling to purchase yesterday. Of course PWG is the first place I come. I wanted to get some shows from AJ's title reign, so I bought the 2nd anniversary shows, both nights. Can anyone give a quick recap on how good the shows were? Thanks in advance.
Chicago's Finest

Show Reccomendations

Postby GhostMan4 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:26 am

Im new to PWG, All I have is BOLA 2006. I need a reccomendation of 2 Show's outside from BOLA 2007 which I plan on getting next, Thanks for any help.
GhostMan4

Postby PWG_Silverback » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:40 am

It seems like there's an abnormal amount of these posts popping up, and the new message board supports merging of topics, so all question about which DVDs are right for you should go here, please.
PWG_Silverback
Site Admin

Next

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum