2010 Battle of Los Angeles takes place September 4 & 5!

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Re: 2010 Battle of Los Angeles takes place September 4 & 5!

Postby jacob_burman » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:34 pm

krayzie Bone wrote:Eh, Daniels is still good but not as good as he used to be. To be honest with you his matches in ROH since his return were quiet boring. Chris Hero must win BOLA this year. He is the best guy on the card hands down.

His match with Omega was rated very highly. I was going to get the iPPV, but my computer pretty much sucks at playing videos. I really don't want Hero to win. Don't get me wrong, he's damn good and legit, but I feel the winner of BOLA will probably be the guy going over Davey. I say that because December, from what I read, is when PWG usually takes time off. I don't think PWG is going to let Davey retire as champion (and I hope not). The person winning BOLA gets Davey at the October show and in the November show, Davey gets his final PWG match with the guy he wants to finish it with (Kind of like how Lost did it). I'm pulling for Joey Ryan to win BOLA and get the strap. Dude has made himself look really good lately, going everywhere he can to wrestle, and I'd love for him to get the strap again.
jacob_burman

Postby krayzie Bone » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:31 pm

Wrong, Hero is the next champ. You gotta admit that pound for pound Hero is the best wrestler in the world. Davey is too small, Danielson is one dimensional (don't get me wrong one dimensional doesn't mean bad) Joey relies on comedy too much, so I don't see him winning BOLA. Hero on the other hand is what I call a total package (Fuck Lex Luger) Hero is the best striker, best technician, best brawler and actually a decent arial wrestler as well. Yes I agree with those who criticize Hero for using an elbow strike too often, but overall Hero is still the best. Watch all his matches thou, not just PWG, get some Chikara and ROH, and some old IWA, the guy defines wrestling.
krayzie Bone

Postby The_Sharpshooter » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:53 pm

Just got my tix for NIGHT 1 :mrgreen:
This is going to be awesome.
The_Sharpshooter

Postby WrestlingFanMatt » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:04 pm

krayzie Bone wrote:Wrong, Hero is the next champ. You gotta admit that pound for pound Hero is the best wrestler in the world. Davey is too small, Danielson is one dimensional (don't get me wrong one dimensional doesn't mean bad) Joey relies on comedy too much, so I don't see him winning BOLA. Hero on the other hand is what I call a total package (Fuck Lex Luger) Hero is the best striker, best technician, best brawler and actually a decent arial wrestler as well. Yes I agree with those who criticize Hero for using an elbow strike too often, but overall Hero is still the best. Watch all his matches thou, not just PWG, get some Chikara and ROH, and some old IWA, the guy defines wrestling.

Davey is too small?! Since when have we gotten back into the 80's and said that a champ has to be over 6'6 and around 300lbs. Davey IS the best worker on the Indy Circut right now and has been stepping up his game over the past year or so. Hero has gotten really repatitive when it comes to his matches and has been using the rolling elbow far too often for my liking. My friends and I had a bet at the last show on how many elbows he would throw during his match with Davey. As for him getting the strap, I really hope not. His build up to getting the title was really good and I enjoyed the fued he had with Tornado but toward the end of it he had the type of heat that people didn't wanna see him with the belt and we're tired of him as champ. Don't get me wrong Hero is a great worker but i'd hope that someone else get the win this year
WrestlingFanMatt

Postby krayzie Bone » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:47 pm

Like I stated before, the criticism for the repeated elbow strikes is valid but you gotta understand the style thou. Hero is wrestling in a text book Noah style and this is why you are seeing a lot of repetative moves. Bottom line is his elbow is stiff as fuck, it looks realistic, much like Roderick's chops and it does the job.

Yes I agree he is using the elbow too much but these days most wrestlers are repetative especially in ROH. Watch Roderick matches for example, every other move is a backbreaker, and don't tell me Davey Richards does not overdo his kicks, come on now.

But this is good wrestling thou, Davey got lethal kicks and it works fine, Hero got strong elbows, if it "knocks" mother fuckers out, why not use it?

Yes we are all smart marks here and we know wrestling is not MMA, but as smart marks we are also looking for realism in wrestling and I think Hero delivers that realism like no one else in the business.

Don't get me wrong, Davey Richards is awesome and I'm not advocating champions over 300lbs. I'm not a WWE fan or the fan of the 80's. But comparing to Hero Richards does lack size, thats just stating the obvious.
krayzie Bone

Postby Langdon Alger » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:48 pm

krayzie Bone wrote:Like I stated before, the criticism for the repeated elbow strikes is valid but you gotta understand the style thou. Hero is wrestling in a text book Noah style and this is why you are seeing a lot of repetative moves. Bottom line is his elbow is stiff as fuck, it looks realistic, much like Roderick's chops and it does the job.

Yes I agree he is using the elbow too much but these days most wrestlers are repetative especially in ROH. Watch Roderick matches for example, every other move is a backbreaker, and don't tell me Davey Richards does not overdo his kicks, come on now.

But this is good wrestling thou, Davey got lethal kicks and it works fine, Hero got strong elbows, if it "knocks" mother fuckers out, why not use it?

Yes we are all smart marks here and we know wrestling is not MMA, but as smart marks we are also looking for realism in wrestling and I think Hero delivers that realism like no one else in the business.

Don't get me wrong, Davey Richards is awesome and I'm not advocating champions over 300lbs. I'm not a WWE fan or the fan of the 80's. But comparing to Hero Richards does lack size, thats just stating the obvious.

Hands up, who's sick of Hero? The fact is that with Hero as champ we're going to get the same matches we endured for most of 08 & 09. It makes no sense to hand the strap right back to someone who people are sick of.

Besides if anyonr deserves to win the belt it's Roddy. Alw
ays a bridesmaid never a bride.
Langdon Alger

Postby krayzie Bone » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:08 pm

First of all no one "deserves" anything. Hero proved himself all over the globe. If you are sick of Hero, you are sick of wrestling.
krayzie Bone

2010 Battle of Los Angeles takes place September 4 & 5!

Postby PWG_Silverback » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:20 pm

First Round Mathces of the 2010 Battle of Los Angeles, taking place September 4 & 5, 2010!
By Silverback, Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Staff Writer

August 18 - With the peculiar number of entrants in the 2010 Battle of Los Angeles, fans have been speculating on how exactly the First Round, and the entire tournament for that matter, will be structured. Well, speculate no longer, because much like the majority of previous Battle of Los Angeles First Round matches, each match on Night One will be single fall singles matches.

However, the Quarter-Final, Semi-Final, and Final Round match structures, as well as the brackets for the tournament, will remain shrouded in mystery until the Night Two of the 2010 Battle of Los Angeles actually takes place!

Tickets for both nights of the 2010 Battle of Los Angeles are on sale now, so don't miss your chance to witness the annual tournament spectacular in person! On Night One, the First Round of the 2010 Battle of Los Angeles will feature:

2010 Battle of Los Angeles First Round Match
Brandon Gatson vs. Ryan Taylor

"Mr. Instant Replay" Matt Jackson vs. "Slick" Nick Jackson

El Generico vs. Akira Tozawa

"The Fallen Angel" Christopher Daniels vs. Chris Hero

Check back tomorrow for more information about the opening round of the 2010 Battle of Los Angeles!

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla's 2010 Battle of Los Angeles takes place Saturday, September 4, 2010, at 8:00 PM and Sunday, September 5, 2010 at 7:00PM at American Legion Post #308 in Reseda, CA. American Legion Post #308 is located at 7338 Canby Ave., Reseda, CA 91335. Front Row tickets are $30 per night when purchased in advance, and $35 per night when purchased at the door. General Admission tickets are $25 when purchased in advance, and $30 per night when purchased at the door. Tickets are on sale NOW at http://www.prowrestlingguerrilla.com, and will be available for pre-sale through 11:59PM on August 30, 2010. Any remaining tickets will be available for purchase at the door. Seating is limited. Video recording devices are not permitted. Card subject to change.
PWG_Silverback
Site Admin

Postby krayzie Bone » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:35 pm

Langdon Alger wrote:
krayzie Bone wrote:Like I stated before, the criticism for the repeated elbow strikes is valid but you gotta understand the style thou. Hero is wrestling in a text book Noah style and this is why you are seeing a lot of repetative moves. Bottom line is his elbow is stiff as fuck, it looks realistic, much like Roderick's chops and it does the job.

Hands up, who loves Chris Hero? The fact is that with Hero as champ we're going to get the best matches in wrestling. It makes no sense to hand the strap to someone who is half the man Chris Hero is.

Besides if anyonr deserves to win the belt it's Chris Hero.

I absolutely agree. lol
krayzie Bone

Postby jacob_burman » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:05 pm

krayzie Bone wrote:First of all no one "deserves" anything. Hero proved himself all over the globe. If you are sick of Hero, you are sick of wrestling.

No, that isn't true. Just because you are sick of someone doesn't mean you are sick of wrestling. In no way am I comparing their wrestling ability, but how people are sick of seeing the same thing. Think of HHH and his reign in the WWE. MANY would argue HHH was one of the best entertainers at the time, but because he was always at the top, it got tiring. PWG fans, they've had that nice long Hero reign and matches. He may be the best (everything is a matter of opinion) and he was even compared to being the next Chris Jericho (Jericho even oked the article and I'm sure most of us can agree Jericho is one of the best in the world), but he doesn't need the strap.

Ryan, on the other hand, he might be dropping the comedy act. It seems like he wants to be taken seriously and if so, why not let him run as champion as a serious wrestler.

As for the matches just announced, I'm totally down for Gatson against Taylor. Two young guys going at it and both want to get to the next level. Can they carry a match without an older wrestler involved? I hope they tear the house down, turn heads, and showcase what they got. Most underrated match on the card, I'm calling it.

Jacksons against each other, something I'm sure we all want to see. I hope their younger brother gets involved, maybe a Bucks break up, something. A guy can hope. They've done so much for PWG as a tag team, I think it's time to see what they can do on their own.
jacob_burman

Postby The Franchise13 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:29 pm

Brother vs Brother... this match could be moty! Thus guys team together and i know both are going to step up to give us a show...hopefully
Brandon vs Taylor, they had great matches in the past, add one more to the books.
The Franchise13

Postby Langdon Alger » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:37 pm

jacob_burman wrote:
krayzie Bone wrote:First of all no one "deserves" anything. Hero proved himself all over the globe. If you are sick of Hero, you are sick of wrestling.

No, that isn't true. Just because you are sick of someone doesn't mean you are sick of wrestling. In no way am I comparing their wrestling ability, but how people are sick of seeing the same thing. Think of HHH and his reign in the WWE. MANY would argue HHH was one of the best entertainers at the time, but because he was always at the top, it got tiring. PWG fans, they've had that nice long Hero reign and matches. He may be the best (everything is a matter of opinion) and he was even compared to being the next Chris Jericho (Jericho even oked the article and I'm sure most of us can agree Jericho is one of the best in the world), but he doesn't need the strap.

Ryan, on the other hand, he might be dropping the comedy act. It seems like he wants to be taken seriously and if so, why not let him run as champion as a serious wrestler.

As for the matches just announced, I'm totally down for Gatson against Taylor. Two young guys going at it and both want to get to the next level. Can they carry a match without an older wrestler involved? I hope they tear the house down, turn heads, and showcase what they got. Most underrated match on the card, I'm calling it.

Jacksons against each other, something I'm sure we all want to see. I hope their younger brother gets involved, maybe a Bucks break up, something. A guy can hope. They've done so much for PWG as a tag team, I think it's time to see what they can do on their own.

I was just thinking of Hero's reign as on par with Triple H.... It's like when Joey was champion a few years back, people were foaming at the mouth to see a new champ, Hero is the exact same way.... Only with a shit load of elbows that are cool when he does it the first couple times, but by elbow 6 or 7 its kinda like what else you got? To say I'm sick of wrestling just because I'm tired of the repitition of a Hero title reign, well that's ridiculous. In your opinion Hero is the best wrestler in the world, and hey that's cool but we've seen that title reign before.... and can you honestly say that if Hero gets the belt again it will be any different than what we've seen? I can't.
Langdon Alger

Postby El Hijo del Generico » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:26 pm

Langdon Alger wrote:
Hands up, who's sick of Hero? The fact is that with Hero as champ we're going to get the same matches we endured for most of 08 & 09. It makes no sense to hand the strap right back to someone who people are sick of.

I'm not. And your too many elbows assertion doesn't hold water. Go watch all his PWG shows, and you'll see they aren't any more common than Davey's kicks or suicide dives by anyone.

Langdon Alger wrote:Besides if anyonr deserves to win the belt it's Roddy. Alw
ays a bridesmaid never a bride.

I think Roddy is going to get the ROH strap in September, so he's set.
El Hijo del Generico

Postby krayzie Bone » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:58 pm

allright time for my humble education session for you young California fans;

I saw Chris Hero when he first became a wrestler back in Louisville area. I also saw his 90 minute iron man match against CM Punk (yes I was in the building live) so believe me when I say that Hero is not just elbows. Hero is the most versitile wrestler on earth right now. It is true that lately he has been using an elbow strike often but as I explained earlier it is a very effective and realistic weapon in his arsenal, so whats the problem with that?

Please don't compare Hero with Triple H, Hero can work circles around HHH anytime anywhere any day. Now someone here mentioned that they want Joey Ryan to win the belt again. Well I remember Ryan's reign very clearly and I remember that Ryan cheated every match to retain the title, do you guys really want this to happen again? Now I personally enjoyed Joey Ryan as a champion I think it was a very interesting title reign and Joey at that time was probably the best heel in PWG history. But do I want to see it all over again, No I don't.

Now back to Chris Hero. You see its very simple, if you understand good wrestling you will be a fan of Chris Hero, if you want comedy or sports entertainment you are not gonna like the guy. Yes sir its that simple. I happen to like wrestling and Hero is wrestling. He is what this sport should be all about which is; realistic, innovative, hard hitting and athletic. You think Hero just does elbows? Jesus dude buy some dvd's. When Hero comes out most of the fans chant, "Chris is Awesome" so I doubt people are sick of him, as a matter of fact we need more Chris Hero. As far as Chris Jericho goes the only good matches I've seen from him was in early days of ECW and some in WCW. WWE ruined Jericho just like they ruined all other good wrestlers that ever entered that disguisting promotion. I guarantee you thou that Jericho would never last 90 minutes against CM Punk, I guarantee you that Jericho could never go strike for strike with Eddie Kingston either, I guarantee you that Jericho can never have classic matches against Samoa Joe, or Brian Danielson, but you see Hero did. So is Chris Hero the next Jericho? No, Chris Hero surpassed Jericho long long time ago. Get out of California guys and watch some wrestling.
krayzie Bone

Postby BurningHammerMark » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:40 pm

krayzie Bone wrote:allright time for my humble education session for you young California fans;

I saw Chris Hero when he first became a wrestler back in Louisville area. I also saw his 90 minute iron man match against CM Punk (yes I was in the building live) so believe me when I say that Hero is not just elbows. Hero is the most versitile wrestler on earth right now. It is true that lately he has been using an elbow strike often but as I explained earlier it is a very effective and realistic weapon in his arsenal, so whats the problem with that?

Please don't compare Hero with Triple H, Hero can work circles around HHH anytime anywhere any day. Now someone here mentioned that they want Joey Ryan to win the belt again. Well I remember Ryan's reign very clearly and I remember that Ryan cheated every match to retain the title, do you guys really want this to happen again? Now I personally enjoyed Joey Ryan as a champion I think it was a very interesting title reign and Joey at that time was probably the best heel in PWG history. But do I want to see it all over again, No I don't.

Now back to Chris Hero. You see its very simple, if you understand good wrestling you will be a fan of Chris Hero, if you want comedy or sports entertainment you are not gonna like the guy. Yes sir its that simple. I happen to like wrestling and Hero is wrestling. He is what this sport should be all about which is; realistic, innovative, hard hitting and athletic. You think Hero just does elbows? Jesus dude buy some dvd's. When Hero comes out most of the fans chant, "Chris is Awesome" so I doubt people are sick of him, as a matter of fact we need more Chris Hero. As far as Chris Jericho goes the only good matches I've seen from him was in early days of ECW and some in WCW. WWE ruined Jericho just like they ruined all other good wrestlers that ever entered that disguisting promotion. I guarantee you thou that Jericho would never last 90 minutes against CM Punk, I guarantee you that Jericho could never go strike for strike with Eddie Kingston either, I guarantee you that Jericho can never have classic matches against Samoa Joe, or Brian Danielson, but you see Hero did. So is Chris Hero the next Jericho? No, Chris Hero surpassed Jericho long long time ago. Get out of California guys and watch some wrestling.

LOL at Hero being "Better than Jericho"!!

Have you even watched Jericho since he came back in '07, He's had spectacular matches with HBK, Mysterio, Morrison, Edge, Hardy and Orton.

I love Hero but Jericho/Mysterio from The Bash last year OWNS half of Hero's career and so do a lot of other matches Jericho has had since he came back....

The following matches before he left WWE in 2005 are also better than alot of what Hero has done.

vs. The Rock from No Mercy 2001
vs. HHH from Fully Loaded 2000
vs. Benoit from Royal Rumble 2001
vs. HBK from Mania 19
vs. HHH from RAW 4/17/00
with Benoit vs. The Hardy vs. The Dudleys vs. Edge and Christian in TLC IV from Smackdown from 5/24/01
Money In The Bank 1 from Mania 25

Also another Hero reign would be totally boring and repetitive and this is from someone who liked his first reign, Another reign is not needed so soon unless he undergoes and Austin Aries like transformation with his character and mannerisms.

Joey has evolved as a wrestler since his reign which was four years ago so another Joey reign would be fresher than another Hero reign.
BurningHammerMark

Postby jacob_burman » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:54 pm

Hero gets a pretty split reaction from the crowd, at least, he did when he faced Alex Shelley a few months ago. I wasn't there for his match against Richards, so I don't know how the crowd was. As for his elbows, I'm cool with it. Everyone has their bread and butter and that happens to be his.

I'm not even going to touch the Jericho topic because you are so anti ANYTHING WWE it's not even funny. I personally would have loved to have tried to talk to Danielson at the last PWG show and asked him about his match with Jericho. But again, not even worth my time with your clouded thoughts.

As for Ryan, his reign was years ago. From what I can tell teaming up with the Cutler Brothers two shows ago, he's not a heel anymore. Like I said, I believe it's a new era for Ryan. Let him go as a serious face wrestler and see what happens. If that happens, this reign will be NOTHING like his old one. Again, I'm guessing he is going with a serious run with his comments on facebook and twitter. There's a reason he got into shape and got a better look.
jacob_burman

Postby krayzie Bone » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:28 pm

Thats right I haven't seen any Jericho matches since he came back to WWE. I watch wrestling and WWE was never about wrestling. When I was a kid watching WWF was fun, thats all I watched actually, but when I became an adult I gave that shit up. I evolved from sports entertainment fan to a wrestling fan.

Actually I don't understand how any indy fan can like WWE, to me its an alien concept. Sad thing is thou that WWE fans recently discovered Indy wrestling and are trying to ruin it for all of us, this board clearly demonstrates that lol

Do I think Jericho used to be a good wrestler, yes he was, but now he is just another WWE clown, can't call that shit professional wrestling, its a soap opera for degenerates and mentally challenged, (sorry to be so honest)

So Jacob you think that Joey Ryan is capable of having another great title reign and Hero can't? You don't know Hero dude. I've seen Hero as the most loved baby face and as the most hated heel, the guy can do it all, like I said get out of California.
krayzie Bone

Postby b2u » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:47 am

Claudio vs. Rocky
Aries vs. London
Ricochet vs. Bonham
Strong vs. Cage
Taylor vs. Ryan

I'm saying it right now, Chuck Taylor is going to shock the world and take it.
b2u

Postby WrestlingFanMatt » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:09 am

I can see where you're saying Davey uses a lot of kicks and Roddy uses the back breaker but lately both guys have been cutting down on they're respective moves. And Davey usually uses his kicks as a set up for another move and doesn't throw as many as you think. As for Hero, his match is based around the elbow but it's getting annoying. When I first saw Hero in 2005, he was WRESTLING and using more holds and not relying on strikes. Now, he's just throwing elbows left and right and is making me NOT wanna watch a match involving him and that's hard to say since I really enjoyed his work in the past.

As for Joey, his run was good when it started because he was the top heel in PWG. But after a while and him constantly cheating to get the win the fans we're getting tired of seeing him with the belt and Hero was in the same boat at the end of his reign. Now, Hero is sort of a tweener because at the last show the crowd was sort of split on both him and Davey as far as support. Joey has gotten into real good shape and is starting to lose the sleezy character and is going into a more serious mode and i'd like to see him with the belt since you can never rely on fly-ins always being at the show. Hero COULD have a good run but i'd rather see someone else get the belt at this point in time

And I wouldn't say i'm tired of Hero because I think the guy is really talented in the ring and has had some great matches not just in PWG but all over the world. My beef is that he's gone away from what made him a good worker and that's wrestling and is relying heavily on the rolling elbow when it should be used as his finisher and not thrown 5-10 times a match
WrestlingFanMatt

Postby BayAreaPWGFan » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:02 am

I remember I used to groan everytime Chris Hero would come out to wrestle 4/5 years ago and remember seeing him face Chris Daniels during WM21's ALL Star Weekend (My first ever PWG event). I was never a fan of Hero's matt based style but I'll be the first to admit that Chris Hero has upped his game tremendously the last year or so. The guy actually looks like a wrestler and not like some random Indy guy now. (If he added a bit more muscle I'd bet WWE would take a really hard look at him). Hero is in the Chris Jericho mold to me now. He can adapt to any style and his travels around the world have made him that much better. And, while people complain about his redundant elbows, I really don't see a difference between his elbows and roddy's chops.

Anyhow, with Kenny Omega and Davey Richards' title reigns being big failures (more in part to those guys' scheduling conflicts). I think PWG should give the strap to someone they can bank on every month. It just might be Roderick Strong's turn. Generico would be fun also.

This would be the perfect time for Scott Lost to finally have gotten the PWG belt. He usually never had a bad match and could have easily transitioned to the headliner for every show. This would have been the time for Lost to win BOLA and cash in his title shot at the last PWG show of the year. Its too bad he retired.
BayAreaPWGFan

PreviousNext

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum