Been away for a bit . . .

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Been away for a bit . . .

Postby zachalxnder » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:13 am

All right, so I stopped with the whole wrestling thing around June of 2008 and here I am again. Now, the reason I am making this post is to ask what should be considered important information for a fan of Pro-Wrestling Guerrilla to know in regards to what he may have missed during that time frame? Also, I would be open to any sort of suggestions regarding quality cards and/or matches to hunt down.

I understand topics such as this can be rather bothersome so I apologize and send thanks for help in advance.
zachalxnder

Re: Been away for a bit . . .

Postby camstun187 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:56 am

First off: The Young Bucks became the face of PWG. They were probably the most dominating, awesome tag team champions since the early 90's/late 80's.

Secondly: Paul London came and started working for PWG. He formed a hilarious, short-lived team with Danielson, cut some funny promos, and is now tag team champions with El Generico.

Thirdly: This new team, the Cutler Brothers, are making a big splash and are now super-over. They started off rocky but they have now found their niche and are getting better and better.

Fourthly: Brandon Gatson is a big-time PWG breakout local star. The guy has got it.

Well, in july (after you stopped watching), PWG ran "Life During Wartimes", their 5th anniversary show, and it was damned good. The main event, Hero/Tornado in a guerrilla warfare cage match, was insane, and definitely worth getting (either for 15 or for 8 bucks when they run the sale this winter).

All Star Weekend 7 was good, and had some great matches on it. Look into it.

BOLA 08 was solid, with a dissapointing nigel/ki dream match on night 2. The finals match was probably one of the most unique matches you could ever watch in PWG, and is considered a classic.

09 is when the company really just went on a roll of good-to-awesome shows. Just about every card is worth a view (never seen Secrets of Guerrilla Island, and honestly it doesn't look too appealing to me), and they ran their best show ever since BOLA 07 Night 3 a year ago. It was called Guerres Sans Frontieres, and featured Danielson's "last" PWG match against Hero in a classic for the title. It also featured my MOTY - SHINGO Vs. El Generico. Definitely get that card...IN fact, here's just about every card you should look for, with the MUST-SEE matches listed next to them...*'s will be put next to the ones to get first.

The Gentle Art of Making Enemies - The Young Bucks Vs Roderick Strong and Davey Richards, Scott Lost Vs Danielson, Bobby Quance Vs. Joey Ryan

*Express Written Consent - El Generico Vs. Kenny Omega, Aries Vs. Necro, London/Young Bucks Vs Lost/Ryan/Anderson

99/100 (Weekend Double Shot) - Lost Vs. Strong, Bucks Vs. Shelley/Sabin, Danielson Vs. Omega (only if you like comedy matches), Strong Vs. Dutt, Bucks Vs. Cutlers, Luchas/Sky Vs. Lost/Cutlers, London Vs. Ryan

*DDT4 - Just get this show. Amazing top-to-bottom tag team tourney that just needs to be seen. Don't look at the card, lest you want to have it spoiled for you.

*Threemendous 2 - Gatson/Goodtime/LTP Vs. Mercury and the Cutlers, Shelley Vs. Lost, Strong Vs. Richards

Speed Of Sound - Ryan/Anderson Vs. The Young Bucks, Hero vs. Strong, Chuck Taylor Vs. El Generico (Street Fight)

*Guerres Sans Frontieres - SHINGO Vs. El Generico, Hero Vs. Danielson, Lost Vs. Tornado, Bucks/Kendrick Vs. CIMA/Shelley/Sabin, Strong Vs. Anderson

Never saw Against The Grain, but heard it was good.

*BOLA 09 - Omega vs Steen, Shelley Vs El Generico, Steen/Generico Vs. The Young Bucks, Omega Vs. Lost, and the finals

This year has been great, too.

Kurt Russellreunion - RVD had a match against Hero and Strong, and it was good. This was a big supershow with a lot of rare talent that don't usually appear in PWG. Check it out. I haven't seen the whole thing, but the main event and Generico Vs. Jushin Thunder Liger were all very nice.

As the Worm Turns - Davey Vs. Omega (MOTYC), Sabin Vs Strong, Young Bucks Vs. Tornado/Generico, Hero Vs. Shelley

Titannica - Only saw Roddy Vs. Richards, but it was awesome

DDT4 - Another great DDT4, though it's not as good as last years (and that's not an easy thing to pull off in the slightest). Everything was really good-to-great, and Brandon Bonham and Hero had quite the encounter together.

Seven - PWG's best show since Guerres Sans Frontieres. Davey Vs. Hero, Lost's retirement match against Scorpio Sky, Danielson returned for one last match against Strong, and the three way tag team guerrilla warfare between Generico/London Vs. The Cutlers Vs. The Young Bucks

BOLA 10 I hear was great, with Castagnoli being the MVP of the whole thing. Too bad I haven't seen it yet :(
camstun187

Postby zachalxnder » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:26 pm

Thank you so much for the reply, man. You definitely gave me more information and suggestions than I expected which is great. Once again, thank you very much!
zachalxnder

Postby talley_1986 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:24 pm

Secrets of Guerrilla Island was pretty decent for a June show. I'm not a big Necro fan, but Joey Ryan got a really good match out of him, much better than the Aries/Necro match that happened shortly before. I enjoyed Strong/Omega more than their BOLA 2009 match. It also has the AMAZING Davey Richards commentary during it.

Against the Grain has a really good Bucks vs Omega/Taylor match.
talley_1986

Postby camstun187 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:58 am

You're welcome man.
camstun187

Postby camstun187 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:05 am

And oh YEAH, at BOLA this year, a little unknown from DG named Akira Tozawa had a PWG MOTYC with someone special. Most people were ranking that match along the ****1/2 range.
camstun187

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum