PWG's "Fear of a Black Planet" on June 3, 2006!

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Moderators: PWG_Silverback, PWGTickets

Postby WannaB » Fri May 26, 2006 5:03 pm

JeremyKC wrote:
WannaB wrote:
HeartPunch33 wrote:If London is so great (with his tassled boots) I don't see why he is jobbing out on Velocity these days.


Because they're "shitcanning" him. :wink:


He's one of the current tag champions. And MNM, who've been Smackdown tag champs forever, jobbed to London and Spanky for the last month.


*ahem*





SARCASM!

Jeez.
User avatar
WannaB
 
Posts: 1342
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:22 pm

Postby dxreydx » Fri May 26, 2006 5:21 pm

wrestling in Mexico is huge, ever hear of Lucha Va Voom? Do they draw more then ROH? I don't know, but Lucha shows sure draw.
dxreydx
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:55 am

Postby SoCalAndy » Fri May 26, 2006 7:30 pm

First off, you're making the European market seem way smaller than it is. The european market as a whole is bigger than the market in Mexico.


Wrong. Many CMLL shows are drawing huge, and business in Mexico has been the best it has been in years. Plus the market for Mexican wrestling also transends into many American markets. Several promotions with top Mexican stars can draw anywhere near 1,000-9,000 people in places around the States.

The European market is very significant, check out 1PW sometime and see how they bring in all of the American indy stars they do. They fly them in over the Atlantic and put them up in nice hotels. There is alot of money there, because they draw well.


1PW is a small promotion. I've seen their shows and there is no way they draw more than 2,000 people. That's hardly bigger than a lot of promotions currently running in Mexico. Plus 1PW doesn't run as much as many of Mexico's top promotions(or several other promotions around the world at the moment).

I also think you underestimate how many people buy ROH DVD's and follow ROH. Just look at their message board. It's crazy. People from all over the world.


ROH is not a giant. Anyone can claim to be from "X" country, but chances are they really aren't. And just because they might have one of two fans from a country that isn't American, Canada, or in Europe doesn't mean there are a lot of fans in one of those countries. I think you're overestimating the size of ROH.

They are touring all over the east coast into the midwest, performing in the Chicago and Detroit markets.


Many of the cities they're touring are very close to eachother, so chances are 75-90% of the fans who go to those shows go to other shows in the areas that surround their hometown. If PWG toured all around California, it'd be just the same as the places ROH tours.

Danielson also is Heavyweight champion in Full Impact Pro, the biggest indy in Florida.


If FIP is the biggest indy in Florida, Florida must have a lot of small time indy promotions.

I'm not counting TNA as an indy, but what really has Puma/Perkins done in TNA lately? He was in the World X Cup, but casual wrestling fans probably don't even remember he was there.


I agree with this.

I just think that some of you west coast people don't realize that there is wrestling beyond the coasts. It's starting to thrive in the midwest.


If anything, I think people on the west coast(BTW, not everyone here is from the west coast) are being more rational than you are. You don't seem to get the reality about the size of promotions and territories.
SoCalAndy
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:00 am
Location: Pasadena, California

Postby ToddMartin » Fri May 26, 2006 9:33 pm

Wrestling is bigger in Mexico in 2006 than it is in the United States. To say the European wrestling scene is in any way comparable is preposterous.
ToddMartin
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:36 am

Postby JayJay » Fri May 26, 2006 11:38 pm

For the record, people recognize Puma because he actually has a gimmick.

No one gives a flying fuck about TJ Perkins because HIS NAME IS FUCKING TJ PERKINS. Welcome to WCW Saturday Night, pal.
JayJay
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:39 pm

Postby Aaron » Sat May 27, 2006 5:03 am

To say the European market is insignificant is very misinformed!

If it was insignificatn, why did PWG run two shows in Europe? Why are ROh running shows in Europe? Why has the USA only got one company that out-draws All Star, 1PW, NWE amongst others? Why did NJPW run shows in Europe? How come Europe has a channel dedicated to pro wrestling, with another for wrestling and MMA combined? How come WWE's largest ever crowd was in Europe, and why do they come to the UK every single year?

The fatc is that Europe is a very significant mraket. The population of Europe is larger than USA, Mexico and Japan combined. The UK was the golden land of wrestling in the 70s and 80's with 20% of the population watching wrestling on TV every Saturday afternoon.

Today, many shows are taking place in the UK of huge significance to the wrestling world and why? Because the European market is a huge chunk of international DVD sales!

American Dragon has performed in front of more fans in Europe than the number of fans in Mexico that will remember Puma. Fact! With one tour of All Star, Danielson would have competed in front of thousands of people and been remembered for his performances!

Also. . . another significant market that could count against my arguement. . . the sub indian continent! In India, TNA has a huge following. But then to counter this argument, Korea has a large market where Danielson would have featured more prominently due to his NJPW work.

You cannot discount other markets just because there are no companies drawing like WWE, CMLL or NOAH. There will be a show every month in England, approximately, that will draw 2,000. The same goes for Italy. If WWE did not exist, could USA claim the same?

Even Israel has a promotion from it's own country on national television. There is a huge global market that needs to be taken into consideration. I'd say take a look at where promotions are deciding to promote these days. Like a musician or actor will want to "break America", a promotion or a wrestler will want to "do Europe".
Image
Aaron
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:56 am
Location: England, UK

Postby onlxn » Sat May 27, 2006 7:53 am

Yeah, so anyway, I'm guessing the Dynasty goes 3-0 and that Steen drops Excalibur on his head a couple millions times. Also, I'm guessing that Scorp's restraining order against Frankie will never be mentioned again...
onlxn
 
Posts: 630
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:07 pm

Postby JeremyKC » Sat May 27, 2006 10:58 am

You SoCal people overestimate Mexico because of your location. I am in no way discounting Mexican wrestling. I love lucha and try to follow it as much as possible. I will still say that wrestling in Europe is bigger. Yes, it's a population thing too. I was saying this because of the post that said Europe is not a significant market for wrestling. If it wasn't significant, popular American wrestlers wouldn't be doing European tours. When's the last time PWG held shows in Mexico? I believe ROH is holding a couple in England this year too.

Also, you may think I'm this big ROH mark, but I was a PWG fan before I started watching ROH. A friend of mine from California sent me a DVD and I've been hooked ever since. I am also a huge ROH fan and have seen their following. They are the third biggest promotion in America. Can you say PWG could tour into Oregon, Utah, Nevada, and Arizona and consistantly draw? The argument that all of their shows are close is ridiculous. How is a NYC fan going to hit a show in Detroit? How often is a fan in Columbus or Chicago going to go to a Connecticut show? The fact is, ROH is bigger than you think it is. This is not a slam on PWG. I love it and follow it, even from Missouri. I hope PWG can start touring eventually and grow. If not, it will still be a good product. Some of you PWG fans need to realize, however, that America is a big country and there is alot of wrestling happening beyond the Southwest.
JeremyKC
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 5:23 pm
Location: Kansas City, MO

Postby Rish To The Rosh » Sat May 27, 2006 11:05 am

Business in Mexico is BOOMING right now. CMLL constantly draws crowds averaging around 14,000 to Arena Mexico. AAA can draw close to 20,000 depending on the card. Mistico is such a huge draw for CMLL. It's just, good, down there, y'know.
Puma > TJ Perkins!
Rish To The Rosh
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:14 pm
Location: Scotland, UK

Postby Aaron » Sat May 27, 2006 11:27 am

I'd just like to add that I am in no way discounting the Mexican market in any way shape or form as it is HUGE.

BUT it is only huge for WWE and Mexican companies and therefore not as important to the nice pleasant debate we're having about who's more known between Danielson and Perkins. :)

^ Yup, ROH are running two shows here this year. Plust a week long training camp. Plus Frontiers of Honour 2 with IPW:UK and FWA. And lots of the guys coming over will work lots of shows here and be exposed to a few thousand in memorable spots. :)
Image
Aaron
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:56 am
Location: England, UK

Postby urmomsurdad » Sat May 27, 2006 2:34 pm

u marks need to quit babbling about things that none of you really know about.

and it would rule if the dynasty came out to the theme from dynasty.
urmomsurdad
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:44 am
Location: cali.

Postby WannaB » Sat May 27, 2006 5:27 pm

urmomsurdad wrote:u marks need to quit babbling about things that none of you really know about.

and it would rule if the dynasty came out to the theme from dynasty.


That would so rule all that can be ruled in ruleness... :lol:
User avatar
WannaB
 
Posts: 1342
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:22 pm

Postby Evilguest » Sat May 27, 2006 8:16 pm

WannaB wrote:
urmomsurdad wrote:u marks need to quit babbling about things that none of you really know about.

and it would rule if the dynasty came out to the theme from dynasty.


That would so rule all that can be ruled in ruleness... :lol:


thank you, I thought my comment was going to be totally ignored and it was making me sad but now I'm all happy. 8)
User avatar
Evilguest
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:18 am
Location: the pit of despair

Postby urmomsurdad » Sat May 27, 2006 11:34 pm

when i read that dynasty comment i was laughin and then i wanted it to happen sooo badly.... it better happen or....... hell i dunno.
urmomsurdad
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:44 am
Location: cali.

I like The Dynasty................well kinda

Postby Pinky » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:29 am

I wasn't too pleased that Sabin did not show for his match against Scorpio, but hell, I got my money's worth to see The Dynasty appear and Scorpio gettin' in my face once again! *Damn, I am good, lol*

I had fun like always. See ya'll at the next show!!

Pinky
~~I am beautiful no matter what negative things others say, NOTHING can or WILL bring me down. I will continue to be beautiful just the same~~
Pinky
 
Posts: 148
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:25 am
Location: Tampa, Fl

Previous

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest