DDT4 Kicks Off 2013 on January 12, 2013!

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Re: DDT4 Kicks Off 2013 on January 12, 2013!

Postby bennym6 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:52 am

CreedP wrote:
camstun187 wrote:Was Super Dragon there for the farewell speech?

He was, in the sense that the person under the mask was there, but no - 'Super Dragon' didn't appear as such.

CREED

Was he in the ring?
bennym6

Postby CreedP » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:01 pm

Not that I saw, but I'm sure he wasn't far.

CREED
CreedP

Postby arizero » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:50 pm

Curious if anyone has any star rating they want to share. I know those aren't everyone's cup of tea; I just finished watching Mystery Vortex (my new all-time favorite PWG show) and I want to see how this stacks up. Thanks!
arizero

Postby SlayJ » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:01 pm

arizero wrote:Curious if anyone has any star rating they want to share. I know those aren't everyone's cup of tea; I just finished watching Mystery Vortex (my new all-time favorite PWG show) and I want to see how this stacks up. Thanks!

Well I texted the results of the DDT4 show to a friend of mine who couldn't make it and I included star ratings to help keep things simple and straight forward. Keep in mind though that my ratings here are definitely influenced by the live environment, the emotion of seeing perhaps El Generico's last PWG show (and a decent amount of cervesa being consumed), so take that in to account. As someone who has seen pretty much every PWG event live over the past 3+ years, this was definitely one of the best top to bottom shows of that run. So here's the snowflakes...

1) The Young Bucks -vs- Ricochet/Rich Swann (****1/4)
I would say this rivaled the "Mystery Vortex" opener between the Bucks and Team Dojo (which is no easy feat). The crowd was insanely hot for this and the action delivered.

2) The Super Smash Bros. -vs- Michael Elgin/Brian Cage (***1/2)
Very solid match and would've been even better if Uno didn't have the injury happen. Elgin and Cage do a great spot keeping Dos elevated in a vertical suplex position while tagging in and out and simply handing him off to one another. Very original!

3) Future Shock -vs- Roderick Strong/Eddie Edwards (****1/4)
I really loved this match. Hard hitting stuff as you'd imagine. Lot's O' Chops (lot's O' Wooo's)...and let's just say, Adam Cole probably won't ask Roddy to suck his dick again after this.

4) Kevin Steen/El Generico -vs- The Briscoes (***3/4)
When a match-up this awesome is the 5th or 6th best on the card, you know you must of had one hell of a show! There was some wackiness early...Mark Briscoe busted out his hokey Redneck Kung-Fu. And maybe this wasn't quite the all out war that people might have expected. But there was a good story developing around Steen and Generico trying to coexist again. And down the stretch the action picked up really well leading to this becoming a really good contest.

5) The Young Bucks -vs- Michael Elgin/Brian Cage (***3/4)
I'd say quality wise that this was comparible to the previous match. The Young Bucks simply do not have bad matches in PWG (at least any that I recall). Cage plays the "face in peril" role which seems a little strange to say. But again, awesome stuff down the stretch!

6) Kevin Steen/El Generico -vs- Future Shock (****)
Lotsa storylines intertwining here (Steen/Generico, Steen/Cole, potentially Generico's last PWG match, Winner is in the finals). You could really feel the emotion levels rising for all of these things. And the match itself played out perfectly for its place on the card.

7) Willie Mack -vs- B-Boy (**3/4)
For what seemingly was a last minute special attraction match with no hype surrounding it, this was more than solid. The two came out hot right away and kept things hard-hitting. Only negative was that the finish seemed to kinda come out of nowhere. But even as the "worst" match on the show, this is absolutely worth a look.

8) Drake Younger -vs- Sami Callihan (****1/2)
Two words...HOLY SHIT! One of the most brutal matches in PWG history! MUST SEE!

9) Kevin Steen/El Generico -vs- The Young Bucks (****3/4)
If there was ONE match that could follow Drake/Sami this was the one! On the emotional scale this blows the lid off of 5 Stars, but I'm trying to be at least somewhat reasonable and drop it down a slight notch. So much great stuff here! The build up towards Generico's fever pitch attempt to get the pinfall in his last Pro Wrestling Guerrilla match and win DDT4 is as dramatic as Pro Wrestling gets. Just tremendous work all around! And of course the ceremony for Generico that followed is one of those things I'll never forget seeing.

Hope this helped. I realize I hurled more stars here than a gang of ninjas, but I really did love this show live. And those were my gut calls at the time. Hopefully it will hold up as well during a second viewing. I'm definitely looking forward to finding out!
SlayJ

Postby Garden State Saint » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:48 am

I've never pre-ordered a wrestling DVD until this one. 8)
Garden State Saint

Postby Garden State Saint » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:05 am

I just watched SSB vs. UFM and Uno's arm was pretty sick after that dive. And the delayed vertical suplex with Cage and Elgin switching on & off with Stupefied was just ridiculous.
Garden State Saint

Postby Garden State Saint » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:58 am

What was the general take on how the finals of DDT4 2013 ended? And I'm not talking about the winners.
Garden State Saint

Previous

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum