No More Friday Shows!

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

No More Friday Shows!

Postby CreedP » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:55 pm

Please, for the love of god, stop holding these shows on a weekday! My group has to get up to work before the sun's up, work all day, try to leave early to make the near 3-hour drive into L.A. from the desert... watch a great PWG show, but then haul back to desert for nearly 3 hours driving, arrive home around 4am... only to have to get up and work again on Saturday.

Also, it doesn't help that the last two PWG weekends have been followed by major server crashes at clients that have caused weekend-long work on nearly no sleep.

So my group is seriously considering boycotting these Friday shows - it's just too much. I realize PWG is so big, they sell out every time, and they don't really have to cater to their fans anymore. With a building full of standing-room only fans, they can do whatever they want, hold shows whenever they want, wait a few weeks to put out preview videos and DVDs and such... but damn I miss 2013, when shows were on Saturdays unless it was a weekend event. (At least for that, we HAVE to stay in town, take Saturday off, etc)

But it's very likely we'll skip PWG if they keep booking on Fridays. Damn shame, too.

CREED
CreedP

Friday shows

Postby eastbay510 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:57 pm

So the next show is on May 23rd... a Friday, I don't want to sound ungrateful or anything, but a lot of the fans come from far away. Some from the bay area, some from Vegas, some fly ins from Seattle and New York. I really feel like us regular who travel won't be able to make these Friday shows. So I'm asking Super Dragon and Excalibur to please consider having more Saturday shows.
eastbay510

Re: Friday shows

Postby CreedP » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:08 pm

Exactly. Not to mention it's a hell of a way to travel just to see the Young Bucks win by cheap heel tactics and Adam Cole steal another victory, lol.... we've paid price increases from when I started going at Failure to Communicate in 2012, we're glad to support the wrestlers that come by buying T-shirts, it'd just be nice to have the shows back on Saturdays instead. SO much nicer for the fans coming in from out of town. Loyalty and such.

CREED
CreedP

Postby SlayJ » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:12 pm

Ya know something, Tim (I'm gonna pretend we weren't just talking about this on Facebook)…that's a GREAT idea, fine sir!!!!! ;) But yeah, it seems to be that PWG is getting all warm and fuzzy with the idea of running Friday night shows over Saturday ones. For the LA locals, that's probably pretty easy to deal with. But like Tim said, quite a few of us diehards come in from out of town. And when you're "takin' what their given' 'cause you're working' for a livin'", it's not always easy to fake having the runs (like I have done in the past) to make it to Friday shows. So as a fan that loves nothing more than being front and center at every PWG event possible, I hope we can get back to having at least a majority of shows on Saturdays. I had to miss "Mystery Vortex"…and I cried in to the pitcher of beer I was drinking from a few hundred miles away. :*(
SlayJ

Postby eastbay510 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:17 pm

I'm not mad, I understand that PWG needs to work with guys schedules, but I'm pretty upset. I love this company(serioulsy, I've waited in line for over 12 hours before), but I'm possibly moving to Phoenix, and as much as I don't mind the long drives, it just isn't possible to make it to the shows when I start working.
eastbay510

Re: No More Friday Shows!

Postby SlayJ » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:24 pm

Yeah Creed, 100% agreed. It can be really tough to make weekday shows for some of us. I know we both just posted on Tim's thread about the same topic, but I wanted to back you up here as well. I know that a good portion of us long time front row fans make the trip from outside of LA. And in my situation of recently finding a new job after several months of being unemployed, I cannot afford to miss work at all right now which means Friday's will be tough to make it to. The Saturday shows are (were) perfect and I hope they can be brought back. I love PWG more than most parents love their kids! And nothing bums me out more than having to miss a show. And I mean that!
SlayJ

Postby eastbay510 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:47 pm

What about sunday shows around 2? Like BOLA night 2? I'd be able to make those shows.
eastbay510

Postby abouttreefitty350 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:51 pm

Summer shows in the legion hall at 2pm? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that!
abouttreefitty350

Postby PWG_Dragon » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:53 pm

Saturday is always my first choice. Sometimes the shows are incredibly difficult to schedule and get all the wrestlers together for one night. If the only way possible to do that is to run a show on a Friday that's when the show happens. I can tell you the Anniversary show in July will take place on a Saturday.
PWG_Dragon
Site Admin

Postby PWGnorthern » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:36 pm

Thanks for clearing it up Dragon, Saturday night anniversary show in July...move that to a bigger venue and you could get 1000 people maybe haha, nah Reseda is too good.
ps Everett/Alexander/Lee vs Bucks/Steen and Cole/OReilly KO or Submission match... great fuckin start to the May 23 card
PWGnorthern

Postby ShadowMaster » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:10 am

I live here in Long Beach California to pick up my usual friends that go we gotta be on the freeway by 4 3O to make it to the Valley by at least 7 o'clock . Not gonna lie like most posters it's really hard to do Friday shows , Traffic like i'm sure everybody else notices on a Friday at rush hour is a completely insane bumper to bumper . I do think it effect's the atmosphere as most fans are burnt out by the time the show arrives . With that being said I'll still continue to attend every pwg event as traffic won't stop me from the best wrestling on the planet .
ShadowMaster

Postby The_Sharpshooter » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:50 am

You guys need to stop be being selfish and stop complaining... Who cares if its on a Friday or Saturday??.. If you can make it, then you can.. If you can't, then you can't. Your not the only one who is traveling or working. Seems to me that you need to prioritize your situation. PWG goes out of its way to book some great shows with workers who cannot all work on one specific day of your choice. As fans we already ask a lot and now you wanna tell (yes "Tell, cuz if you were asking, then you wouldn't be bitching) PWG what days to run their shows on?..
The_Sharpshooter

Postby Dangerous Robot » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:51 am

^^^^
What he said. Seriously.
Dangerous Robot

Postby Itchypanda » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:47 pm

I have to agree most indy wrestlers have real jobs, as well. They are trying to work around their work schedule with their respective wrestling schedule and it's hard enough for the booker to try to find accomodating days and book cheaper travel, which is likely why they book Fridays to avoid the cost of a Saturday plane ticket vs. a Friday plane ticket. It's inconvenient for quite a few of us but they need to maximize their profit while putting on a great show. I would simply say, cut the team some slack. PWG is getting bigger and giving fan service to each and every fan is becoming more and more difficult.
Itchypanda

Postby JAG » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:25 pm

I work in costa mesa now. It is impossible to get to PWG's Friday shows. When I see a Friday show announced, I am instantly disappointed because I know I wont be able to make it. Previously, I was lucky to have a flexible schedule take the day off of work, and make a day of being in LA.

I have not been able to make it to as many shows as I'd like to for multiple reasons: Friday shows are impossible for me, when it is on a Saturday I have a prior arrangement (wedding, important event, ect.) I can't blow off, and PWG has run less shows over the more recent years. Like, Super Dragon said, I understood Friday shows weren't the first choice, but out of necessity. So when I finally can make it to a show, its even more special for me. Its become a treat for me again, like when I first started attending shows in 2006, rather than a bad ass routine I just did because I could.
JAG

Postby SlayJ » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:25 pm

Hey The_Sharpshooter, not sure if your comments were directed towards me, somebody else here or the collective group of us that have requested a return to Saturday shows. I just wanted to respond to your comment about us being "selfish". That's honestly a load of crap. Whenever I take the time, money and effort to drive in to Reseda from out of town, spending a good chunk of change on gas, food, and a hotel room in the process, I do it out of love and complete respect for PWG and everybody involved in it. I have gone to shows dating back to 2004, purchased nearly every DVD release and turned several friends on to PWG because I take pride in doing my part to help support the company. And yes, it is important to me to continue buying those tickets, t-shirts, etc. I understand and respect Dragon's position on this and I'll try to do whatever I can to keep attending the shows moving forward. But I don't see anything wrong with bringing up the subject here. If it doesn't matter to you what day the shows run on, maybe you'd be better off finding a topic here that DOES matter to you.
SlayJ

Postby camstun187 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:06 am

Hey guys, I know a lot of you regulars always wanna go to every show...but other people would like to actually not get turned away from a show, as well.

People who don't ever get to go to PWG shows, for example.

Maybe it's a good thing that you can't make it, sometimes. It lets other people have a chance to get in.

My friend from China apparently had a hard time getting in with his wife, and he got there pretty early and apparently there was some line confusion and he almost wasn't let in.

I can imagine it'd be pretty hurtful to be turned away when you have traveled from far away, just because you don't know the line procedure like all the regulars do.
camstun187

Postby ShadowMaster » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:20 am

If people are having a hard time getting into shows well that's easy to fix if you just buy a ticket online not really rocket science either . As for the guy from China having a hard time getting in well that's his fault sadly he was behind us in line and paid some fan $2O to let him cut in line . You bet if I was coming anywhere that was over a 1OO miles away I'd get a ticket in advance just the smart thing to do . I always see the same pwg fans waiting in the line to get tickets at the door and just never understood why go thru the headache of waiting in line for a ticket if you know you might not get in .
ShadowMaster

Postby The_Sharpshooter » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:18 am

SlayJ wrote:Hey The_Sharpshooter, not sure if your comments were directed towards me, somebody else here or the collective group of us that have requested a return to Saturday shows. I just wanted to respond to your comment about us being "selfish". That's honestly a load of crap. Whenever I take the time, money and effort to drive in to Reseda from out of town, spending a good chunk of change on gas, food, and a hotel room in the process, I do it out of love and complete respect for PWG and everybody involved in it. I have gone to shows dating back to 2004, purchased nearly every DVD release and turned several friends on to PWG because I take pride in doing my part to help support the company. And yes, it is important to me to continue buying those tickets, t-shirts, etc. I understand and respect Dragon's position on this and I'll try to do whatever I can to keep attending the shows moving forward. But I don't see anything wrong with bringing up the subject here. If it doesn't matter to you what day the shows run on, maybe you'd be better off finding a topic here that DOES matter to you.

Dude, bringing up a topic is one thing ,but your just "bitching". Again, prioritize you situation and this entire topic wouldn't even had been mentioned. You brought it up cuz your obviously upset about something. Which is fair, but your entire
"stance" on the situation isn't helping to solve the problem. Your just being selfish, bro...
That last line you wrote was "weak". Trying to push me out of the topic cuz u didn't like my comment.. Good one :mrgreen:
The_Sharpshooter

Postby bford24 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:56 pm

Don't complain guys, at least you get great wrestling to see live. I used to attend every show when I lived out there and would love to have any decent wrestling to see where I am living. There is no perfect night so just continue to enjoy what you have the privilege of seeing.
bford24

Next

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum