Am I the only 1 concerned w/ the recent price increase?

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Am I the only 1 concerned w/ the recent price increase?

Postby DjEn3rgy21 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:06 am

So I've been going to shows for a long time but for the past bit I've been missing out on shows. Not because of the sell out shows but more because it's become pricey to get tickets. I remember when $20-$25 not so long ago was the standard, and I was still fine when front was $35. But now it's almost what we would pay for the two day shows. That and aside from talent changing that's all that's pretty much has changed. So why the increase?

Trust me, no one understands more than I do about inflation but at the rate it's going, the increase is breaking the bank. I mean we go, pay tickets, sometimes tickets for more than one person, add drinks, merchandise, gas, some get hotel rooms, some fly. Add all that up and it's a pretty penny. $45 front row which is about a few feet from the ring and $35 is almost more than most other places I have been lately and this includes concerts, parties, other sporting events and even most dinners for two. Still not much has changed aside from new faces.
Now no one knows how much I do love this company, in fact it's pretty much no question that I do. But what worries me is it is beginning to reach further into pockets than most have today during tough times. I mean I've dropped probably literally thousands myself throughout the years but it wasn't as complicated as things are now. I just really want to know why so much and not have a larger place then. A better sound system that won't cut out, and other stuff. Then I could maybe see the reasoning but I have yet to see something like that. I used to go because it was affordable and it offered a great product all the time without stressing the old wallet. Now it's decisions, decisions.

As a fan it worries me because some of the diehards, we're all not made of money. Hell there were times all I had was enough for a ticket or a good friend would buy one for me. But as it goes up it makes it more difficult to enjoy the little things. If I had the money of course I'd gladly say hey I'd pay anything to go but I'm a realist. With tougher times coming ahead, it worries me that even more will begin to sort of see that and it will detour others and things will begin to drop or lack. I'd honestly hate to see that. I've loved PWG for a long time, I've introduced friends, family and even made new friends. So to me this is something a little close to the heart.
DjEn3rgy21

Re: Am I the only 1 concerned w/ the recent price increase?

Postby PWGLove » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:21 pm

I know people feel the increase. But I think it shows the company is doing well. It is supply and demand unfortunately. With Front row selling out in two minutes they have to increase prices, this is how they will grow. Even at 45 for front row it sold out in 2 minutes a good sign for the company, unfortunately bad for some old schoolers who remember old prices, but I support it. If they sell that fast they kind of have to and hopefully this will spark better things for them as company which I would like to see since they are THE GREATEST PROMOTION in the indies in my opinion. Rock and a hard place. I see both sides but say good for the company. Bitter sweet.....Bitter I have to pay more ...sweet they clearly are drawing a big crowd to every show.
PWGLove

Postby eastbay510 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:02 pm

I'm one of the guys who dosen't live in the area, to me I don't mind throwing an extra $20. The shows are only once or twice every couple months. If it helps the wrestlers get paid more and lets PWG fly in guys then Im okay with it. Unfortunatly inflation is very real.
eastbay510

Postby DeadBlueBlazer » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:27 pm

fuck man, this increase is nuts. I remember paying 15 bucks a tix. How much more will they want next year? I know they wont miss my business with all the new fans and all, but it still bums this old school fan out. Guess have have to check out a AWS show soon.
DeadBlueBlazer

Postby eastbay510 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:40 pm

I paid $100 for a ROH ticket before, PWG is more then half that and a better show.
eastbay510

Postby abouttreefitty350 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:52 pm

I've been going to PWG shows since they were at the Jewish Community Center. I'm fine with the prices. Would I rather pay $20? Sure. But I also understand that booking the level of talent they have show after show isn't cheap. Hell, do the second row for $40.

Even with the price hike, the Legion Hall is still going to be packed to the fucking gills for the next show.
abouttreefitty350

Postby The_Sharpshooter » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:18 am

I was a little bothered by it at first but then I just stopped giving shit...
Truth is, as long as front row keeps selling out within minutes, I think the price hike will slowly keep increasing out of pure curiosity. I know more money helps bring in more outside talent, but its not like that is completely necessary every show. Whatever happend to seeing the local talent?.. Also, I think half of the PwG crowd doesn't even really know what there watching. You got some dude buying like 20 front tix and then 2nd hand sells them to his buddies just to secure front row... You got peeps chanting stupid shit, which has been brought up already on a another thread. I seriously think a true fan brings his friend who doesn't know shit about wrestling, sees a decent show and is all like "this is awesome, I know wrestling now, despite that I've only been at one show" type of attitude. Next thng you know, we have about 20more peeps like those in the legion hall. The crowd has changed drastically over the years... And unless those same people decided to boycott a 'front row sell out' or the show itself, then I highly doubt this issue is ever going to change. Personally, I haven't been to the last (2) shows this year. I'm waiting for a card that's 'stacked'

it is what is is...
The_Sharpshooter

Postby DjEn3rgy21 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:01 am

The_Sharpshooter wrote:I was a little bothered by it at first but then I just stopped giving shit...
Truth is, as long as front row keeps selling out within minutes, I think the price hike will slowly keep increasing out of pure curiosity. I know more money helps bring in more outside talent, but its not like that is completely necessary every show. Whatever happend to seeing the local talent?.. Also, I think half of the PwG crowd doesn't even really know what there watching. You got some dude buying like 20 front tix and then 2nd hand sells them to his buddies just to secure front row... You got peeps chanting stupid shit, which has been brought up already on a another thread. I seriously think a true fan brings his friend who doesn't know shit about wrestling, sees a decent show and is all like "this is awesome, I know wrestling now, despite that I've only been at one show" type of attitude. Next thng you know, we have about 20more peeps like those in the legion hall. The crowd has changed drastically over the years... And unless those same people decided to boycott a 'front row sell out' or the show itself, then I highly doubt this issue is ever going to change. Personally, I haven't been to the last (2) shows this year. I'm waiting for a card that's 'stacked'

it is what is is...

I've noticed that too, the locals grow smaller and smaller now. I mean besides Joey and the occasion Peter Avalon, Willie Mack, Rey Rosas and such, the locals have shrunk drastically.

As far as the increase yes I can understand inflations and increase but it's becoming a bigger problem when added costs vs cost effectiveness comes into play. I've been missing a lot of shows, mainly because of affordability. I used to go because it was mainly affordable. And as I said before I love PWG, don't mistake that. But we already live in an expensive state and adding to that with increases but not much of an upgrade does make it a tough pill to swallow. It's just a major concern. What happens when it gets too high and it caps over what's reasonable? Something I think about a lot when I see the ticket sales. I've actually stuck to buying 2nd row and such because it's not really that far from the front. It's not an arena or like the armory so it's convenient. But once it starts getting higher for a difference of 3 ft, then things become a bit more complicated.

As far as that 20 person front row thing, then a suggestion would be sell tickets through eventbee and have limit caps. That's why I do for my events. I know how people try to even scalp or price gouge people and it still works well and even promotes itself for higher revenue. Limit 5 per person. That way some have a chance. (PWG if your reading this and your interested in that, I can tell you how that works, you can even set fees and such if needed.)

As far as that, the talent is never my problem, I love watching all those guys. But I think it should limit a bit if it's getting pricey. Can't spoil everyone, plus the diehard fans, those guys will love just wrestling. As we all have all these years.

Well I've voiced my concern, I think a few tweeks here and there can make it all work for us non 1%-ers.

P.S I'm still waiting for Matt Cross to return. Then maybe I could spend a bit more.
DjEn3rgy21

Postby ShadowMaster » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:49 am

If you guys are bitching that much about the increase in ticket prices do yourself a favor and look and see how much airfare has gone up over the years . Gas, Food, rent you name it's all gone up over the years especially in California , guess what that's the economy we live in . If fans don't wanna pay an extra 5 bucks for a ticket than don't come , you don't see PWG putting a gun to anybody's head and forcing them to buy tickets . At the end of the day this is the BEST Indy promotion out there no questions asked . If you feel like PWG is being unfair well take your money to the shitty WWE , TNA or the other lame Indy promotions in Cali that couldn't even hold PWG's jockstrap . You want the best wrestling and roster on the Planet well it's gonna cost you and i'll keep paying as will other fans and future fans to come .
ShadowMaster

Postby toby80 » Sun May 04, 2014 12:06 pm

As far as I can tell, PWG is very much a labour of love. The people who set up and run the company, did and do so, because of their passion for professional wrestling, and with the intention of putting on great shows, without the politics that mars other promotions. Once the talent has been paid, and other outgoings met, I can't imagine the company makes too much of a profit. Plus when you think of the risk the wrestlers put their bodies through when they perform, particularly in such a high-octane stage as PWG, I really don't think us fans should complain too much about an increase in ticket prices. PWG, for me, is something to cherish and celebrate. I don't think we should ever take it for granted.
toby80

Postby ShadowMaster » Sun May 04, 2014 6:23 pm

toby80 wrote:As far as I can tell, PWG is very much a labour of love. The people who set up and run the company, did and do so, because of their passion for professional wrestling, and with the intention of putting on great shows, without the politics that mars other promotions. Once the talent has been paid, and other outgoings met, I can't imagine the company makes too much of a profit. Plus when you think of the risk the wrestlers put their bodies through when they perform, particularly in such a high-octane stage as PWG, I really don't think us fans should complain too much about an increase in ticket prices. PWG, for me, is something to cherish and celebrate. I don't think we should ever take it for granted.

Totally agree with you the sad thing is I think some fans think PWG owes them something by keeping the ticket prices the same since 2008 which is laughable if you ask me . Same fans that would bitch and moan if the shows don't work with there work schedule .
ShadowMaster

Postby wmack » Wed May 07, 2014 2:15 pm

Are you really complaining about $45 for front row and $35 for GA??? The shows are AMAZING, if anything I wish they'd raise the amount so front row didn't sell out instantly. The company can get 2x what they are asking right now, ROH gets $90-$100 easily and PWG has been putting on better shows consistently.

There have been PWG shows where if I was told I had to pay $1,000 to see them I'd be happy to do it. The product is that good.
wmack

Postby The_Sharpshooter » Thu May 08, 2014 6:56 am

wmack wrote:Are you really complaining about $45 for front row and $35 for GA??? The shows are AMAZING, if anything I wish they'd raise the amount so front row didn't sell out instantly. The company can get 2x what they are asking right now, ROH gets $90-$100 easily and PWG has been putting on better shows consistently.

There have been PWG shows where if I was told I had to pay $1,000 to see them I'd be happy to do it. The product is that good.

$1,000?!?! Wow!! I applaud you, my friend.
PWG, Super Dragon, if your reading this... Take advantage of it. Dude is willing to fork over
a grand for nxt month's show. As a promoter and owner I know id be a happy camper :mrgreen:
The_Sharpshooter

Postby fatallylost » Fri May 09, 2014 4:15 pm

Being someone who has only been to 1 show in the last couple years (partially because of price, mostly because of long drives through LA) I can understand why the increase happens, and no offense to anyone, but I think supply and demand ideals only account for a small percent. Almost everyone is a fly-in, so that costs. Add on anyone's pay increase as well would probably account for most.

Yes, as long as people will pay, they will charge. I have no problem with that (other than the fact that it's extra doubtful I'll get to see another show until 2015 or passed now) let's just call it as it is. If they really wanted to "grow" they could easily do it, find a bigger place, maybe it'll cost them a little more, but, add in another 50 seats, 100. At the same price, or even a bit more for the new venue, and it's covered.
fatallylost

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum