Nice Boys (Don't Play Rock 'n Roll)

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Nice Boys (Don't Play Rock 'n Roll)

Postby El Asian » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:08 pm

Might as well do the topic now, the card for the show

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Tag Team Championship Title Three-Way Match
The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson - Champions) vs. Ricochet & Matt Sydal vs. REY FENIX & PENTA el ZERO M

Singles Match
Sami Callihan vs. Adam Cole

Tag Team Match
Best Friends (Chuck Taylor, & Trent?) vs. LDRS (Zack Sabre, Jr. & Marty Scurll)

Singles Match
Trevor Lee vs. Lio Rush

Tag Team Match
OI4k (Dave & Jake Crist) vs. Chosen Bros (Jeff Cobb & Matthew Riddle)

Singles Match
Brian Cage vs. Keith Lee

Singles Match
Shane Strickland vs. Dezmond Xavier

And also sell or ask if anyone has extra tickets...

Tickets manage to sell out on me before I could buy them :(
El Asian

Re: Nice Boys (Don't Play Rock 'n Roll)

Postby skitch » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:37 am

I'm glad to see more tag matches taking place!
skitch

Postby eastbay510 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:21 am

Last show was fucking awesome, and this looks great too. PWG is off to a great start this year.
eastbay510

Postby El Asian » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:51 am

Yeah, I really hate being that guy but if anyone has 2 or 3 extra tickets, please PM me
El Asian

Postby eastbay510 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:30 am

I know PWG doesn't really do promos, but if they want to keep this Best Friends/LDRS thing hot, promos would go a long way. And it would help Zack as a heel and cement Chuck as a legit main event player.
eastbay510

Postby pwggrodd » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:23 pm

Agreed. This might be controversial, but I like Sabre Jr. as a heel, and I hope his reign lasts a good long while in that vein. I like PWG most when a long-reigning heel's on top.
pwggrodd

Postby eastbay510 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:11 pm

eastbay510 wrote:I know PWG doesn't really do promos, but if they want to keep this Best Friends/LDRS thing hot, promos would go a long way. And it would help Zack as a heel and cement Chuck as a legit main event player.

I 100% agree with this. Even a short 2 minuite video would help keep things nice and hot.
eastbay510

Postby eastbay510 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:12 pm

Lol I just agreed with my own comment, I'm a fucking idiot :lol: :lol: :lol:
eastbay510

Postby Garden State Saint » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:30 am

No title shot for Cobb & Riddle?
Garden State Saint

Postby shyboy13 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:37 am

Oops. I posted this in the wrong thread last night. But I have a single general admission ticket available in case anyone needs it.
shyboy13

Postby shyboy13 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:26 pm

Results? Review?
shyboy13

Postby eastbay510 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:09 am

Wow, what a difference a year makes. PWG feels so fresh and exciting this year. There are actual stories, more tags than last year, debuts. I am so in love with PWG right now.

-So before the show Excalibur annouces Adam Cole had stiches under his skin and won't be able to compete and Sami can interject in any match he pleases.

-We start off with Brian Cage vs The debuting Keith Lee. The speakers are working this show which really helps keep up crowd noise. Christian Cole (Bay Bay) is ring announcer, always a good thing. As Cole is about to introduce the competitors Sami comes out and says he isn't waiting, this is a triple threat. Callihan and Cage are at their best in matches where they can just go crazy with spots. All three guys are big enough to base off each other, which allows Cage and Lee to do some insane flying for big guys. I have said for years now that Trevor vs Everett vs Cedric is the best opener in PWG history, well now the 2 best openers in PWG history are triple threats,and I don't know which I perfer. Keith Lee was soooo over in this match, he got the best reaction not only out of the debuts, but overall. He looked like an absolute star, can't say enough good things about him.

-OI4K vs Chosen Bros. next. I am not a fan of OI4K at all,and to be honest, the first half they almost didn't look like they were even close to being in the same league as Cobb and Riddle. Towards the end this really picked up. OI4K does have some sweet spots, but they just aren't my thing.

-Trevor vs Rush. Rush is awesome, his strikes look absolutely killer. And I love his attitude, he is no bullshit, no fucking around. He does the crowd popping spots, but everything looks painful and malicious. Trevor is his usual southern heel self. Intresting to see him as the veteran when he was the young guy for so long.
Spoiler: show
Huge upset as Rush reverses Lee's small package into his own

-The other two debuts next. Strickland vs Xavier. I talked to both guys before the show, they were both all smiles, super happy to be there. Swerve is the more over guy here, which you would expect since he has been on Lucha Underground, Progress, CZW, wXw, ect. Dezmond is just starting to break out and has been on AAW and CZW, but not much else as far as major indys... yet. However, despite Swerve getting the louder reaction it was Dezmond Xavier who blew me(and everyone I talked to after the show) away. Shane was really good, and had some really nice spots, but Xavier looked like a future superstar. After this was done I was just thinking how amazing a Dezmond Xavier vs Mark Haskins match would be. I'm not gonna spoil any spots, but it was insane as you would imagine. After the match Shane left Dezmond alone in the ring to get the standing ovation and it looked like he was holding back tears.

-Best Friends vs LDRS. How do you get a heel over in PWG? Have them feud with Chuck Taylor. I still have no idea why the fans turned on Zack, but let's go with it, he is such a fun heel. This was not a "spots" tag match. This was all about the story and building heat. PWG has done such a great building up Chuck and Trent as serious main event level faces that they don't feel out of place against Sabre and Scurll. This had tons of heat as the LDRS beat down Trent for several minutes. Great stuff.
Trent pins Zack, and is presumably gonna get a title shot down the line.

-After the match Sabre and Scurll beat down Best Friends. Chuck challanges Marty to a Reseda street Fight. Which is a cool Easter egg to longtime PWG fans as the last time Chuck was push this hard was when he was feuding with El Generico in 2009 and they fought in a a Reseda Street Fight with Chuck winning I believe.

-Main event was insane, I can't really comment on the quality of this since I was running around all match trying not to die. Lots of fun, but I can't tell you if it was just fun or an all time classic until I see the DVD and can just sit back and take it all in.
huge upset, with Penta and Fenix walking away with the titles, but they didn't pin the Bucks, so it will be intresting to see if that leads to anything

-After the match as The Lucha Brothers were standing in the ring getting money thrown at them Larry got on the mic and ruined the celebration. He made them give him the money or "there won't be any more shows". I have no idea if he kept the money, but it was incredibly unprofessional and very uncomfortable to sit through.

-Overall awkward ending aside this was great. Lots of story stuff, everything was good to great. So far 2 for 2 for PWG this year, and with the preview amazingly already up and the next show announced this company feels the most exciting it's felt in a long time.
eastbay510

Postby toby80 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:59 am

Thanks for the review eastbay! They're always a ton of fun to read.

Great to hear that the new guys made such a good impression. And I was genuinely thrilled to read the result of the main event.

Larry, on the other hand… what an utterly charmless man.
toby80

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum