BOLA 2017

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Re: BOLA 2017

Postby pwggrodd » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:07 am

Well, if he's having surgery, there's no way he makes it. Austin Aries anyone?
pwggrodd

Postby pwggrodd » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:39 am

Or maybe Jonathan Gresham?
pwggrodd

Postby pwggrodd » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:06 pm

Woo, the Bad Boy himself, Joey Janela, is the sub.
pwggrodd

Postby eastbay510 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:16 pm

So what are the Bucks gonna do? Will it just be 7 matches? How about Banks and Haskins vs Bucks?
eastbay510

Postby El Asian » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:57 pm

Yeah, I hope something does change and maybe have the Bucks wrestle WALTER and another partner, maybe Haskins or Banks, or maybe have Joey Janela team with someone, or since I'm 98% sure Chuck will be at BOLA weekend anyways, have Chuck with most likely Trent against the Bucks or maybe have the Bucks have an open challenge at night 1
El Asian

Postby pwggrodd » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:23 am

It would suck to just have a match be dropped altogether, especially since that's already happened twice this year.
pwggrodd

Postby eastbay510 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:11 am

Mabey they do an angle where the Bucks make an open challange and two random people's music hits. No matter who it is it's the Bucks, gonna be quality.it would suck if we lose TK Cooper and then lose the Bucks match too.
eastbay510

Postby pwggrodd » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:27 pm

Unfortunately, it does look like they're just going to drop the match altogether. Fingers crossed though...
pwggrodd

Postby abouttreefitty350 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:46 pm

It's gonna be hot as fuck this weekend, and even hotter once everyone is inside. Everyone, please clean your assholes prior to arriving.
abouttreefitty350

Postby shyboy13 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:35 am

Results?
shyboy13

Postby toby80 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:28 am

toby80

Postby toby80 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:31 am

I'm really pleased with the guys who have advanced to night 3. Should be a great climax to the tournament!
toby80

Postby eastbay510 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:07 pm

I'm tired as fuck, this weekend was completely exhausting, I'll write some thoughts tomorrow. For now I just wanna say please PWG, please book WALTER vs Jonah Rock.
eastbay510

Postby eastbay510 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:24 pm

So BOLA 2017, not bad right? Here are some of my thoughts, not sure how many small detailes I will remember, should have done these after the shows.

Night 1:

-Two Australian wrestlers on ring crew, Mick Moretti who is in Chikara, and Jessica Troy, who was on the last set of Shimmer tapings. Got to meet both, super cool.

-Joining the Aussies on stage behind Excalibur were Haskins, Cooper and Banks. Haskins and TK were marking out like crazy throughout the night, pretty cool to see.

-As I was walking to the restroom both Haskins and Banks recognized me(I was at Progress's Super Strong Style 16 in May) and gave me hugs. I talked to them, TK, and Jonah multiple times throughout the weekend, I now have a 4 way man crush.

-N1 was the hottest night temperature wise, crowd is usaully not super loud on N1's anyway due to it being a travel day. Crowd was very good, but not as loud as they were on N2 and 3.

-We start off with Xavier vs Cage. I was not expecting a lot, not a Cage fan personally, and judging by the crowd not a lot of people were behind him. He was mostly booed. Solid match.

-Flash Morgan Webster vs Scurll. I wasn't sure how Flash would get over to be honest. To be fair Webster has improved a ton since returning from an injury. He brought an intensity here that I have never seen from him before. Marty proved to be the right oponent and Flash got over in a big way, 2nd best match of the night for me.

-We follow up the 2nd best match of the night with the match of the night. Rey Horus vs Rey Fenix. I figured they would have chemistry since they have simular styles, tons of crazy lucha stuff. I am currently having a tough time remembering specific spots, but it's exactly what you would expect, and I mean that in the best possible way.

-Chosen Bros. Vs Lee/Dijak. This was really good, a lot of people had this as the best match of N1, all four guys beat the piss out of each other. Lee and Riddle were not messing around and making faces in this one.

-After a great first half the 2nd half wasn't nearly as good. Penta vs Sydal was next. This is one of two matches the entire tournament that wasn't good, but the only one on this night.

-Jonah Rock vs Zack Sabre Jr. With SPPT vs Bucks off the card this was my most anticipated match of the weekend. I liked this a lot, but for a debut I wish it would have been better. Started hot, then they went to the crowd. When they got to the ring it never got to that next level, just didn't have that hot finish. Like I said, not amazing, but very good. Rock has a great look and presence, and got a huge "please come back" chant after the match. Rock was much more impressive on N3, but I'll get to that.

-Main event time, Ricochet vs Flamita. Ricochet comes out to 5000 candles in the wind, amazing BOLA tradition. To me this was good, but it was a very simular match to the Horus/Fenix match, and they did it much better. I would say Ricochet's weakest match of the weekend. It was solid. One note is Ricochet hit a neck breaker on the apron, Flamita hit the apron, but Ricochet took a flat back on the wood and apparently jacked up his back.
eastbay510

Postby eastbay510 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:52 pm

N2:

-After a really good Night 1 it's on to night 2, crowd is way hotter tonight as it normally is.

-Start off with Lee vs Dijak. Lee felt really stale last year in PWG, he was doing very heavy heel work, and I felt it hindered some of his matches. That being said, I have really enjoyed his recent stuff. Dijak is coming off that awesome tag match the night before. Great stuff, tremendous way to start the show. Dijak is absolutely killing it this weekend, and we haven't even got to his best stuff yet.

-Sammy Guevara vs Joey Janela. I'm gonna be honest, I was devastated that TK got injured. And on top of that me, and a lot of people I talked to in line before the show were disappointed Janela was even booked, we didn't think he belonged in the tournament. Well, We were dead wrong, I was dead wrong. This was easily the best match of the first two nights. In fact I was extremely confident that nothing on N3 would touch this. Both bumped like madmen, and Guevara was flying all over the ring. This is must see, and a huge statement by both men. Joey got over like crazy, and Sammy proved he can be a main event level heel. Absolutely loved this. If I were to rank this I'd say ****1/2.

-Banks vs Haskins. Loved it until the finish. Both guys are super intense and hit really hard. Banks hit Haskins with the Slice of Heaven and Justin stopped counting at 2 but called for the bell anyways. Both were pissed after, and it completely killed the crowd. They deserved better, and Banks would have much better matches on N3.

-LDRS vs Sydal/Ricochet. This was fantastic, but I don't remember much to be honest.

-Cobb vs Callihan. I hated this. The other bad match of the weekend, this was the worst match. I am so happy Sami lost.

-Riddle vs Elgin. This is BROLA. Elgin is great in NJPW, but his stuff in PWG, meh. But this was great. Felt like a G1 style match(and it might be next year). Some people had this as match of the nightN I had it third, which speaks to how great this show was.

-Lee vs WALTER. Wow. If it wasn't for Janela/Guevara this would have been match of the night. Both guys super over. Before Angelo could even announce either guy there was a 2 minuite chant battle. Speaking of G1 style, how great would these guys be in New Japan? Suplexs, stiff chops, and even some technical wrestling. Great match, WALTER is almost Chris Hero level, he really is that good.

-Main event, the match that made tickets almost imposible to get. To be honest this was just tons of fun. Not a 5 star classic, but just chaos (no pun intended) tons of kivks, Lucha, and a broken light bulb.

-For years I have said Steenwolf, Threemendous III, and BOLA 2013 N2 are the best PWG shows of all time, this joined that list. Top 5 shows of all time.
eastbay510

Postby pwggrodd » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:10 pm

Saw more than a few reports suggest that Janela could fill Drake Younger's old role of "beloved hard-bumping lunatic".
pwggrodd

Postby eastbay510 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:35 pm

N3:

-Like I said, N2 is a top 5 PWG show, well this blew N2 away. In my opinion this topped Steenwolf, and is the greatest PWG show of all time.

-We start off with Xavier vs Ricochet. Finally Dezmond gets a good oponent and not one of Sami's friends or Cage. This is by far Xavier's best PWG match. It felt almost like Ricochet wrestling himself from previous BOLAs. Fast paced with lots of action, exactly how you want to start a show.

-Banks vs Scurll. After the botched finish you know Banks is dying to get another chance to shine. Marty is so good at getting heat even though he is so fucking cool. He cut a promo at the beginning of the match telling Trav to get out of his ring, which gets the crowd behind Banks. I loved Banks/Haskins, but this is much better since and there is a clear heel/face dynamic. Banks rolls up Scurll and gets a huge pop.

-Keith Lee vs Donovan Dijak. After Janela/Sammy I thought nothing would touch that match. Well Lee and Dijak had not only match of the weekend, but possibly the greatest match in PWG history. Un-fucking-believable match. Crowd was up on their feet the second half of this. This is an absolutely must see match. I wouldn't go the full 5 personally, but just below it. ****3/4. Dijak is by far MVP of the weekend.

-How could anyone follow that match? Well Fenix and Zack just went to the mat and had another killer contest. The crowd was not hurt at all by Lee/Dijak. This was great, and another match I never even thought about. Fenix had a great weekend.

-Guevarra vs Cobb. This was a short sprint. Sammy got most of the offense, and did some of the most athletic stuff I've ever seen in a wrestling ring. Eventually Cobb hit Sammy with Tour of the Islands to advance. This weekend was a huge statement for Guevarra.

-Riddle vs Pentagon. Stiff and intense. So cool to just see these two in the ring together. Not my favorite match of the night, but the floor is higher on this show than the ceiling on other indys.

-On to the semi-finals. We start with Travis vs Ricochet. This was Banks's best match, and one of my favorites of the weekend. Banks jumps Ricochet as he is making his entrance. Banks screams when he throws elbows, it adds so much to the intensity of the match. These two are throwing bombs, Banks is super over at this point. This is just a fight and in the end Ricochet is just the better man. After the match Banks gets a huge standing ovation. My only gripe is he didn't stay in the ring long enough, he should have let the ovation last. As he was walking back he gave me a big hug, which dosent mean anything to anyone else, but to me it's a moment I won't forget. Travis had a fantastic weekend, and I can't wait to see him again.

-Fenix vs Lee. Not as good as Fenix's other outings, but still solid. David vs Goliath. Fenix was in tears after the match as he was getting the cash treatment.

-Cobb vs Riddle. Expectations were very high for this after they teased a match last year, and their MOTYC in Progress in May. It didn't quite reach that level, but very good. I forgot to mention Cobb was bleeding from his nose in every match.

-Chuck Taylor, Flamita, Joey Janela, Mark Haskins, & Flash Morgan Webster vs Brian Cage, Jonah Rock, Sami Callihan, Trevor Lee, & WALTER. This was not the typical comedy match. There were some silly moments like when Lee cut a promo saying he would get all his teammates Impact contracts, and Flash diving with his helmet while the crowd chanted "safety first". This was really good as a serious match. What really stood out was a miscommunication between Rock and WALTER. They just started beating the shit out of each other and the crowd really came alive. This is the type of Jonah match we should have gotten on N1. Jonah Rock vs WALTER seriously HAS to happen ASAP.

-Finals, Ricochet over Lee and Cobb to become the first 2 time BOLA winner. Very good match, and a great way to finish an amazing weekend. After the match Ricochet cuts a heel promo on Chuck and hints that before he leaves he wants the PWG title.
eastbay510

Postby eastbay510 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:50 pm

Final thoughts:

-This is what BOLA should be. About the top talent and best up and comming talent on the indys, not names like Morrison, Brian Myers or whoever else.

-In my opinion this is the best BOLA of all time. Two of the best shows of all time including THE best in many people's opinion, and one of if not the greatest PWG match ever.

-This BOLA also left you excited for the future. We are gonna get to see Ricochet vs Chuck again for the first time in 6 years. I am absolutely salivating over a potential Rock/WALTER match. Can't wait to see how high Guevara will rise by bext years BOLA. And we still have a SPPT/Bucks match to look foward to(by the way I forgot to mention TK came out during the 10 man and Sami used his crutch. There was a HUGE TK Cooper chant, gave me goosebumps).

-Top 10 matches:

1. Donovan Dijak vs Keith Lee
2. Joey Janela vs Sammy Guevara
3. Travis Banks vs Ricochet
4. WALTER vs Keith Lee
5. Rey Horus vs Rey Fenix
6. Flash Morgan Webster vs Marty Scurll
7. Matt Riddle vs Michael Elgin
8. Travis Banks vs Marty Scurll
9. Donovan Dijak vs Trevor Lee
10. Fenix vs Zack Sabre Jr.

And I'd actually say Dijak and Keith are co-MVPs.
eastbay510

Postby toby80 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:09 am

Fantastic review, as always, eastbay. Can't wait to watch these shows!
toby80

Postby eastbay510 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:38 pm

So Meltzer gave Lee/Dijak the full five.
eastbay510

Previous

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum