Since there seems to be alot of good reports for this show already and I'm kinda tired, I'll keep my thoughts somewhat short
- Before the show, Scorpio Sky (with CHUCK MERCURY~! bring him back!) came out and taunted the people in line, particularly PWG board poster "Pinky"
- Good turn out, finding enough chairs seemed to be an issue.
- Disco Vs. Excalibur: Decent enough, but they are capable of more. Red card bit was really funny though. Disco wins after blocking the heart punch with a nerve hold.... then hit the Chokebreaker for the win. Fans seemed dissapointed in this out come...
- Ronin Vs. Nemesis: Good match. It was pretty short, but it filled the time well. Ronin wins with the DVD. Huge heat for Ronin on his exit.
- Colt Cabana w/ Jewish entourage (cardboard pictures of Jewish Couples) Vs. Top Gun Talwar: Thought this was a whole lot of fun. Perhaps my favorite Top Gun singles match. Colt Cabana got the submission victory with an Bear hug from a Tombstone position.
After the match Joey Ryan hits the ring and gives Top Gun a piledriver on a chair. Then proceeds to cut a promo on B-Boy, and then gives Top Gun another piledriver on a chair. Goes for it again, when Excalibur (with taped up ribs from the earlier chokebreaker... nice tough) chases Joey Ryan off.
- Dynasty Vs. Steen/Davey/Tornado: Excellent match. Dynasty enter to the Run DMC version of the DX theme and do a whole DX act. Match was alot of fun, and super heated. Steen/Bosh, Sky/Tornado, Davey/Lost really work excellently together. Scorpio Sky wins after his Blackout DDT on Human Tornado.
- Intermission: bought my BOLA tickets for all 3 nights (which completed my $110 spending day at PWG... yikes) Judging by the numbers on the back of my tickets, Night 3 and 2 were the biggest movers.
- Back in the building, I can't say I'll miss that thick blanket of heat that hits you when you re-enter the JCC.
- Roderick Strong Vs. TJ Perkins: Started off weird, with TJ having to break to tie his boot, and Strong being distracted by drunk fans (imagine when they add a BAR to the mix! Then the fun will never end!) But it really picked up and grew into a very good match. As echoed in other people's thoughts. This wasn't really the kind of match the crowd wanted to see. This is upsetting, as it was real good. Strong is one of my favorite wrestlers right now, and TJ has really impressed me lately (forever endeared himself as a worker to me, when he carried a totally blown up Kid Vicious to a decent match in UPW). So yeah, I really liked this one.
- KOW Vs. Cape Fear: Pretty much what you'd expect from these teams. Fancy double teams and fun galore. Not much else to say, other than great match...
Joey Ryan Vs. B-Boy - BATTLEDOME!!! AWESOME! I just love matches like this. Loads of prop shots, epic overbooking, blood (RICK KNOX getting BUSTED OPEN!) Tornado diving off the cage, the valets getting into the action. It was a blast...
Now, I was sure going into this, that Joey wasn't losing the title (I mean think about it, if B-Boy wins, then Sky's whole BOLA quest is pointless, plus I saw that Joey was booked for a PWG title defense with PUMA in NoCal in two weeks... so it all pointed to him winning) but even I bit on the Big Splash near fall.
Which was easy to do. As it was an amazing moment, with a good deal of the guys Joey had wronged in the past, Steen, Davey, Tornado cheering him, it was like one of those cheesy sports movies where time stands still right before the hero finally wins the big one over his tormentors.
Then Joey goes smokey mountain on us, with the ether rag. What will he think of next?
Crowd hated the finish, but I'm sure outrage was the intended crowd reaction here. The ring being flooded with water bottles, soda cans and assorted debris only added to chaos. Big E. Biggz going psycho on people throwing stuff was fairly funny as well.
I imagine we'll see a rematch of some kind at the BOLA.
- Still hard to believe, the 2 year long JCC era is over. They had a really good run.
- Overall, a really fun show. But I must say the Briscoes no showing PWG again, really hurt the show. Even though, I think they are really good wrestlers, and a great tag team.... If they can't be bothered to show up when they are booked, I'd rather see their spots go to people who'll actually appear. If they end up being replaced in BOLA (don't know if it's worth risking them no showing again), I'd like see someone like Alex Shelley, American Dragon, Human Tornado or Austin Aries get their spots if possible.
- Picked up "Hollywood Globetrotters" (wanted "Thunderdome" but had already far exceeded my rasslin' budget at this show) Glad to see that the promos have returned! Good stuff...