The Future of Joey Ryan & the World title

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

The Future of Joey Ryan & the World title

Postby npdavis » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:42 pm

I haven't had a chance to watch any shows from this past spring (following ROH will do that to you, financially). So let's just say that I can only go on results I've read and nothing seen on TV.

I am a huge fan of Kevin Steen and therefore, I was a little upset that Joey Ryan won the title. But judging by the results, Ryan's reign has certainly been interesting to say the least. I'm not one for a lot of screwy finishes to the World title but it certainly creates good heel heat for the Champion. Even with the huge debate the ending to the Anniversary Show got, it still shows that the plan worked. People want to see Ryan lose the title.

If there is one thing that I thought we could rest our hat on, it was that B-Boy would finally fufill his destiny and win the PWG title. It certainly seemed to be heading that way with Threemendous. Maybe it still is, but I'm less sure of it.

So who is going to take the title off of The Technical Wizard?

To me, it comes down to just one man: Chris Bosh. I would love for it to be Davey Richards but with him getting bookings on all future ROH shows, his schedule probably won't allow it. It doesn't appear that Gabe will be bringing in Arrogance anytime soon (even though he should), so the schedule would be perfect for Bosh to make a string of shows.

Then you have Chris Bosh, who won the Battle of Los Angeles. Since then, he's had six chances at the PWG title but has come out of the short end all six times:

L vs. Kevin Steen (After School Special)
L vs. Kevin Steen in a match featuring AJ Styles (Straight to DVD)
L vs. Kevin Steen (All-Star Weekend 2: Night Two)
Countout Win vs. Joey Ryan (Teen Outreach Summit)
L vs. Joey Ryan in a match featuring Kevin Steen and AJ Styles (Card Subject to Change 2)
L vs. Joey Ryan in a match featuring Super Dragon (All-Star Weekend 3: Night One)

Now the first thing that stands out to me is that Bosh hasn't had a straight singles match with the Champion since he won by countout. That means he should get a return match with no one else involved. It's only fair that Ryan agree to this.

What about The Dynasty, you say? I think The Dynasty is a great idea because I'm all for heel stables really dominating a company. The one problem I have with it is you have an amazing talent in the ring that can talk, which you do with Bosh, don't limit him.

A six month reign with Bosh could generate some really good matches. The guy is talented in the ring and has very good mic skills from what I've seen. And you can really push the next main event star of PWG (Scorp, Koslov, Quicksilver, etc) into the role of hunting down Bosh.

I just think it's time for a change and give the title to someone who can really do wonders with it: Christopher Bosherelli.

Thoughts?
npdavis

Postby WrestlingFanMatt » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:22 pm

As much as I love Bosh, they missed the boat with him. Lets go back and look at Bosh from Smells Like Steen Spirit up to Battle of Los Angeles.

At that show, he had a match with Christopher Daniels and while it wasn't anything special and Bosh did lose the match, he had an intresting comment after the match saying that was the last he was gonna lose and that he was gonna win Battle of Los Angeles. Fast forward a month and Bosh goes through El Generico in the 1st Round, James Gibson in the 2nd round, Quicksilver in the Semi-Finals, and AJ Styles in the Finals. After the finals, Bosh then throws down the trophy and says he's coming for Kevin Steen and the PWG Title.

So you look at that and you can say Bosh would have been a good champ after Battle of Los Angeles considering he went through four guys and was arguably one of the most over guys in the company. But what hurt him the most was the loss he had at After School Special. Granted it was a DQ, but we all saw Bosh hit the Steiner Screw Driver and pin Kevin Steen CLEAN in the middle of the ring and everyone in the building including myself popped big time! That would have been the perfect way for Bosh to get put in the main event. The fans were behind him and it was clear that Bosh was the guy most people wanted to see with the title.

After the disaster at After School Special, Bosh has had a number of title shots and has yet to come out on top. The count out win over Joey was just dumb and they could have ended it in a DQ or maybe have Lost accidently cost him the title.

Like I said, i'm one of Bosh's biggest fans but they missed the boat with him and now he's back with the tag team titles. If I had to pick one guy who should get the belt it would be Davey Richards. He's basically in the same boat that Bosh was around this time last year and is one of the most over guys in PWG. But the problem not only is ROH but at some point after the Battle of Los Angeles you know Super Dragon and Davey are gonna go after Arrogance for what they did.

As for Joey, I actually think he's done a good job with the belt. It's pretty clear that fans want to see him lose the belt already and he's got a TON of heel heat in the past few months. Was the cage match a little shady, yeah it was but you know there's a reason behind it and all we can do is wait.
WrestlingFanMatt

Re: The Future of Joey Ryan & the World title

Postby WannaB » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:46 pm

npdavis wrote:If there is one thing that I thought we could rest our hat on, it was that B-Boy would finally fufill his destiny and win the PWG title. It certainly seemed to be heading that way with Threemendous. Maybe it still is, but I'm less sure of it.

Destiny... Hahaha.

At the moment Bosh would be a worse decision than making Topgun the champ. Nothing against Topgun, but I don't see his love of cocaine going away anytime soon so he can focus on becoming champ.

If you have Bosh win the belt FROM Joey then you jeopardize the Dynasty which at the moment is one of the best things PWG has going for itself. Enchantment Under The Sea was one of the best PWG shows ever. It was already looking good, but the last 20 minutes of the show are what solidified it in greatness. Why throw the Dynasty away? Granted you could have Bosh win it from Joey in a Multi-man match and that might preserve the Dynasty, but at the moment and the immediate future there isn't any point to such a move.

On top of that you have the boat as Matt put it. It has sailed. If you're going to make a title change in Bosh's favor have any kind of meaning then you need several shows to build it up and get the fans either behind Bosh or Joey. Otherwise it's just match with limited interest, and that's not a good way to start off a new championship reign. Bosh isn't as popular as he was last year, at which time it would've been more prudent for him to win the strap.

Steen, Davey, & SuperDragon seem like the more logical choices to win the belt from Joey. Dragon makes the most sense from a storyline point of view... revenge. Sergio Leone anyone? Davey would certainly have the most crowd support. He's PWG's baby. We've seen him grow all the way from obscurity to what we have today. If Davey won there would be more excitement than there was in those few seconds when everyone thought B-Boy won with the Snuka through the table. Steen would be an interesting win. Regaining it from the man he took it from him. It could make for a good angle. There's always Sabin, Frankie, and a few others, but Davey, Dragon, & Steen bring a certain atmosphere and personality that you don't see from anyone else right now who could be in contention for the belt.
WannaB

Re: The Future of Joey Ryan & the World title

Postby luca brasi » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:54 am

npdavis wrote:I just think it's time for a change and give the title to someone who can really do wonders with it: Christopher Bosherelli.

Thoughts?

I believe it is "Christmas Bosharelli"
luca brasi

Postby noah_ther » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:52 am

No offense to Super Dragon, but that guy doesn't need the belt. It's clear he's over with the crowd as is, either for those who mark for him or those who hate him, he always gets a mixed reaction either way, but still there is no denying he puts on his workin' boots every time he's in that ring. I just don't see how putting the title on him does any more for the title or himself than it would for anyone else. I keep reading interviews where people talk about putting the belt on someone who needs it, and clearly SD doesn't need it to be over. I hate to say it, but BoLA could be the beginning of big things for PWG and putting the belt on someone like Davey (who is now getting all kinda of East Coast Love), Sabin (one of the only TNA regulars we have left), or even B-Boy (East coast and now Japan cred) would be a better choice. Not to say SD isn't well known on the east coast, but these guys cud use the belt alot more than SD cud. Hell, look at Joey, he was getting good heat before the title, now he's gettin' heat like Encino in July. Clearly the next guy to take the belt has to be face and I think SD cud do better taking on Sky or Joey without the belt and letting someone else have the lime light. Besides, SD had that tag team belt for like 6 months, i think he can go without gold for at least another 6.
noah_ther

Postby onlxn » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:21 am

Problem is that they can't put the belt on Davey for any extended stretch of time, due to his ROH commitments. As a matter of fact, I'm guessing that they'd hesitate to even put it on Sabin or Frankie, what with TNA getting more and more hands-on about their workers' schedules.

Any long-term champ needs to be a guy who's not working ROH, and probably one who's not contracted to TNA, either. That means that the title picture will probably continue to focus on the same guys it's been focusing on: Joey, B-Boy, Steen, and SD, with guys like Scorp, Tornado and Koslov entering into the mix down the line.

As for Bosh, people have nailed it: they missed the boat with him, and it wouldn't make any sense to go back to him anytime soon. He's doing a great job as a heel tag champ, anyway.
onlxn

Postby TheOutlawinLa » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:56 pm

I think they could put it on Frankie . .. TNA doesn't use him nearly as often as they use Sabin . . and Richards doesn't need the belt.

He's over without, same reason SD don't need it.

I say give it to Scorpio and let him run with it. .. .But thats just me
TheOutlawinLa

Postby npdavis » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:59 pm

Trust me in that I see where the time for Bosh to win wouldn't be right. I'm not campaigning for it to happen in the next 2-3 months. More like before 2007. Now would be a perfect time for Bosh to either

A) go out on his own and stick less with The Dynasty
B) start to undermining the Champion within the group

It could go either way but I like plan B a little bit more because Bosh is a better heel so he can continue to be himself more with B than A.

I see Scorp getting a run with the title in 2007.
npdavis

Postby noah_ther » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:16 pm

I don't see Scorpio Sky winning the title this year, only because its clear a face has to take the belt off Joey Ryan and Sky is clearly better as a heel. He was kinda bland as a face and I can't see Sky screwing Joey out of the belt because at this point it would take Joey overcoming 3 forms of cancer, saving the life of 5 orphans and buying the entire audience a round of hookers to be a face. If Sky does become champ it won't be till 2007 probably. Frankie I don't see as champ again and Sabin kind of lost all momentum, same as Bosh. It'll probably be Steen or Davey at this point. It kind of seems like PWG painted themselves into a corner because only Davey hasn't had a long drawn out title chase that resulted in nothing and going back to one of the "usual suspects" at this point seems like it would only be a rehash. Unless someone else becomes a viable top face. Any ideas?
noah_ther

Postby npdavis » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:04 am

noah_ther wrote:I don't see Scorpio Sky winning the title this year, only because its clear a face has to take the belt off Joey Ryan and Sky is clearly better as a heel. He was kinda bland as a face and I can't see Sky screwing Joey out of the belt because at this point it would take Joey overcoming 3 forms of cancer, saving the life of 5 orphans and buying the entire audience a round of hookers to be a face. If Sky does become champ it won't be till 2007 probably. Frankie I don't see as champ again and Sabin kind of lost all momentum, same as Bosh. It'll probably be Steen or Davey at this point. It kind of seems like PWG painted themselves into a corner because only Davey hasn't had a long drawn out title chase that resulted in nothing and going back to one of the "usual suspects" at this point seems like it would only be a rehash. Unless someone else becomes a viable top face. Any ideas?

I agree with this pretty much dead on. PWG has put itself in a spot that where I don't think anyone knows who the successor will be. It could've been Bosh, it could've been B-Boy, it could've been Richards. Now, none of those seem likely.

As it stands, I don't see any mid-card babyface being turned into a serious title contender. Maybe Perkins but that wouldn't be until 2007 and I don't know if fans could take him serious.

Richards would be my personal choice but I really think his time in PWG might be ending, or at least reducing.
npdavis

Postby WrestlingFanMatt » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:22 pm

As much as I enjoy Davey's work in the ring, I don't see him getting the belt YET. Once Dragon comes back, you know they're gonna have a re-match with Arrogance and it'll probably be a brutal match especially after what the Dynasty did to Dragon. Right now, they may just keep the belt on Joey since he's got a TON of heat and there's no one left who could be a serious contender. The only person I can think of is Sabin especially since he had him beat two times already. Maybe the 3rd time could be the charm
WrestlingFanMatt

Postby npdavis » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:06 pm

It would be really nice to see Chris Sabin wearing gold again. I just don't know how well rounded of a champion he would make.

Like I've said, the change can be somewhere down the line in the next four to five months. But it's always fun to try and predict the future.
npdavis

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum