The 10/7 Show

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

The 10/7 Show

Postby onlxn » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:59 pm

There is life after BOLA -- let's talk about the next show. We know very little about it at this point (they haven't even announced the venue), but here's what we *do* know:

- It'll feature Super Dragon & Davey Richards challenging Arrogance for the PWG Tag Team Titles.

- It'll also feature some type of ceremony commemorating Davey's BOLA victory.

- It will *not* feature Roderick Strong, Austin Aries, Bryan Danielson, Matt Sydal or the Briscoes, as they're all working ROH that night (as are guys like Delirious, Joe and Daniels).

So it sounds like it'll be a somewhat lower-wattage affair, kind of like the June shows. I always enjoy those shows, and frankly it wouldn't hurt to follow BOLA with a quicker, simpler show. I'm guessing we'll see Joey/Tornado, a Scorp/Frankie rematch and possibly the return of Alex Shelley. Thoughts?
onlxn

Postby Sillentassasin » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:19 am

Seems like it's gonna be a good follow up to BOLA since im flat broke :P

well if i could add in my Two Cents i wouldn't want it in Reseda.. maybe somewhere closer to Hollywood but that may be impossible. Maybe PWG will go back to the OC who knows.

Too bad none of the ROH regulars will ditch that to come to PWG but we may see topgun :)
Sillentassasin

Postby El Asian » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:25 am

Sillentassasin wrote:Seems like it's gonna be a good follow up to BOLA since im flat broke :P

well if i could add in my Two Cents i wouldn't want it in Reseda.. maybe somewhere closer to Hollywood but that may be impossible. Maybe PWG will go back to the OC who knows.

Too bad none of the ROH regulars will ditch that to come to PWG but we may see topgun :)

well from what I heard, I don't expect PWG to come back to Reseda anytime soon
El Asian

Postby JasonDunn » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:32 am

Another great spot from BOLA last night. Davey saying "October 7th, Dynasty, you're fucking dead!" And then Dino getting all Price is Right in saying "All right folks, October 7th, the Dynasty is fucking deeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaad!"
JasonDunn

Postby Wreckless » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:37 am

i'd love it if the next show was called "the Dynasty is fucking deeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaad!" :D
Wreckless

Postby Jamboree » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:18 am

I guess I'm one of the only people who actually liked the venue, because of the air conditioning and I dug the...intimateness of it. And a lot of people enjoyed the bar, too. But I liked it mostly because I can't drive and live about 15 minutes from it. I hope it really is their "new home".
Jamboree

Re: The 10/7 Show

Postby TigerDriver98 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:46 am

onlxn wrote:- It will *not* feature Roderick Strong, Austin Aries, Bryan Danielson, Matt Sydal or the Briscoes, as they're all working ROH that night (as are guys like Delirious, Joe and Daniels)

Yeah, after the performance Roderick Strong gave, it's upsetting he won't be back next show. If he made more shows, he'd for sure be one of PWG's MVPs.

- As for who should be brought back. I think after their BOLA performances, Necro Butcher and M-Dogg 20 deserve to be brought back more. They have no ROH ties so it shouldn't be as hard to get them. Also Alex Shelley needs to be on every show possible. Petey Williams... not so much.

- Still not sure if they should attempt to bring the Briscoes back. They are an incredible team (no denying that), but they only make every other PWG booking. I do like the whole "we hate PWG" gimmick though (which would have been even better suited for Samoa Joe)

- Also be interesting to see what's next for B-Boy, Steen, Sabin and Cape Fear come Oct 7th. Not sure what they will do with them.

- Glad it doesn't look like they are returning to Resada. I didn't much care for the venue (though it was cool to see Macho Aries, Necro Butcher, Homicide etc all hanging around the bar) but the building is just too cramped (which turned a simple trip to the rest room or outside into an epic crusade thru chairs and dozens of people) Not to mention the whole "no outside food, buy our expensive crap" thing. Plus for me personally, the drive was a real pain. So yeah I won't miss it...
TigerDriver98

Postby head_bump » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:59 am

This years BOLA sounds awesome I loved last years there were so many great matches. I can't wait for Septembers pay day as I'm getting at least 8 PWG DVDs.

Arrogance vs. Davey Richards/Super Dragon is going to be great seems the Dynasty is making "enemies" very quickly and in great amount.

Get Strong back into PWG at every possible chance, if he isnt booked elsewhere first get him in PWG!
head_bump

Postby onlxn » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:17 pm

M-Dogg did a nice job this weekend... between this and ASW3, it's clear he's a much better worker now than he was in his initial PWG run. I'm not sure if he's really worth flying out consistently, as he's neither a huge name nor a huge presence, but I wouldn't mind seeing him again here and there.

I think the way they handled the Briscoes this weekend was perfect... it'd be cool if the Briscoes were always presented as a surprise, so nobody was disappointed if they no-showed. They're so good that I think it's worth rolling the dice with them again. (Maybe they can just try to book Briscoes/Los Luchas every show; we'd get to see it about once a year.)

This may sound crazy, but what about Necro/Cabana next show? Colt is notably absent from ROH's talent list for that night (at least so far), and it'd play nicely off of Colt's fear of Necro from the eight-man. (Homicide also isn't yet listed, but I doubt he'd work PWG on an ROH night... Colt's done it a couple times before.)

Also on the ROH front, Hero's schedule doesn't list anything for the date yet, leading people to believe that he and Claudio will be defending their newly won ROH tag straps that night. So a good chance we won't see the Kings.

With all that in mind, here's some nerdy fantasy booking...

7) Joey Ryan vs. Human Tornado (PWG Championship)
6) Super Dragon & Davey Richards vs. Arrogance (PWG Tag Team Championships)
5) Scorpio Sky vs. Frankie Kazarian
4) Colt Cabana vs. Necro Butcher
3) Kevin Steen & Chris Sabin vs. Cape Fear - #1 Contender's Match
2) B-Boy vs. Alex Shelley (as a hired Dynasty assassin)
1) Disco Machine vs. Ronin

That'd work for me. Probably off on most of it, though.

However the card ends up looking, you get the definite sense that 10/7 will be another show filled with Dynasty wins. I can't see Joey losing to Tornado with such little build; there's no way SD & Davey are gonna regain the straps, with Davey's ROH commitments; and it's too early to blow off Scorpio/Frankie. They're gonna need a real feel-good match to counteract all the unsatisfying finishes. Maybe a big singles match for Generico is in order...
onlxn

Postby PWG-G-G-Unit! » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:37 pm

^ That'd be a great card. Unfortunately for me I spent way too much money this weekend for the BoLA so I'll have to skip the 10/7 show. I'll definitely be making the trip for the November show, though.

As for the American Legion; I, too, loved the intimacy of the venue, and the AC was easily felt the whole night. However, Reseda is a bit far from San Diego, and the Howard Johnson Express Inn was probably the wors hotel/motel I've ever stayed the night in. It'd be interesting to see where they move to, if they even move at all.
PWG-G-G-Unit!

Postby evilpaz » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:41 pm

From what it sounds, you guys hate everywhere PWG goes. The OC was too far and lacked parking. JCC was a sweat box with shitty parking. And now Reseda is too cramped. Vultures, I tells ya.. you're all vultures.

Reseda's a nice place. It has a FUCKING BAR and A/C and all that fun stuff. The average number of people that have been coming to shows this year has been around 310, so the place won't be as full as it was for BOLA. Overall, I think it's the place they've ran at in 2006.
evilpaz

Postby TigerDriver98 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:14 pm

evilpaz wrote:From what it sounds, you guys hate everywhere PWG goes. The OC was too far and lacked parking. JCC was a sweat box with shitty parking. And now Reseda is too cramped. Vultures, I tells ya.. you're all vultures.

Most of those happened to be valid criticisms though (distance issues vary of course)

I liked the La Harba venue, had alot of space, wasn't that hot inside. But it literally had a tiny parking lot and no street parking. If you came too late, it looked as if you'd have no other choice but to turn around and go home (or park illegally)

JCC: I loved. The street parking wasn't bad once you got used to it... but it was an oven in the summer months. But that's not even an option anymore.

Legion Hall: I can only speak from my own experience with it. I could see how would like it... but I just didn't. People have been hinting at PWG having other issues with the venue as well. So who knows.

No venue will ever be all things to all people. But hopefully PWG will find a nice "happy middle" venue for the next show.
TigerDriver98

Postby PWG-G-G-Unit! » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:43 pm

Distance issues are just a part of following indy wrestling. That was my only concern with the new venue, but the BoLA obviously made up for it 10 fold. Other than that I relly believe the Legion could/should be PWG's new home.
PWG-G-G-Unit!

Postby Matt Flash » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:58 pm

I think Generico should have a high profile match following his performance at BOLA. I couldn't believe he beat Sabin and I can't imagine anyone not wanting to see him get more top flight opponents. Whenever Sydal comes back I'd LOVE for them to have a match. But for the next show, how about against Scorpio? I think it's too soon to already have another Frankie/Scorpio match, even though stuff with them is very heated. Scorpio doesn't really do it for me as a heel, but anyone can draw heel heat when they're going up against Generico. And you can have him win, too. It's not like Scorpio is gonna die from another loss, what's he gonna go for? The World Title? Not while Joey is champ.

Let's see if I can get a card together and have it not suck...

Tag Team Title Match: Arrogance vs. Davey Richards and Super Dragon
World Title Match Joey Ryan vs. Human Tornado
Scorpio Sky vs. El Generico
Frankie Kazarian vs. Alex Shelley (I like the idea of bringing him in as a hired Dynasty Hitman)
Quicksilver/Topgun Talwar/Bino Gambino vs. Disco Machine/Ronin/TJ Perkins
Kings of Wrestling vs. Kevin Steen and Chris Sabin (They ARE still a tag team, don'tcha know)

After that, whatever.
Matt Flash

Postby Sillentassasin » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:10 pm

I wasn't a big fan of the Reseda building because it was crampped and maybe that's why some spots were kinda absent from BOLA. But i did like Mdogg's dance on the top of the bar. As for distance i really dont give a care because when i start to drive ill be sure to go to every show and not depend on other people....

I just want this.. PWG should have the same deal they had for BOLA 2006 dvd's at this show... or at least have highspots do teh deal online. iono i didn't wanna preorder cause i was flat broke lol
Sillentassasin

Venue

Postby sockfoley » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:55 am

Venue wasnt bad.. $2 beers is good, felt the AC on night one but nights two and three where bad.. was it on then? Also it did seem a little cramped and getting out of the way for spots on the floor a little hard.. other than that it was good though.. maybe something a little bigger though.. but the bar and AC (on night 1) where nice
sockfoley

Postby PWG-G-G-Unit! » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:15 pm

I felt the AC pretty well on night 2.
PWG-G-G-Unit!

Postby cspariah » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:05 pm

The AC reaaaaaly varied depending on where you were sitting. It was definitely on all three nights, you could see the little streamers on the vents fluttering.

The first night, when I was at the corner, far-right from the hard cam, I was nice and cool.

The second and third night, I sat on the aisle directly in front of the hard cam, second row, and it was BRUTALLY hot. But during the Necro/Dragon match, when I got backed up into a different part of the venue, I could feel the AC right on me.
cspariah

Postby cspariah » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:05 pm

cspariah wrote:The first night, when I was at the corner, far-right from the hard cam, I was nice and cool.

Blah! Far-LEFT.
cspariah

Postby PWG-G-G-Unit! » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:14 pm

That's exactly where I sat during night 2.
PWG-G-G-Unit!

Next

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum