PWG Presents "Self-Titled" on Friday, October 6!

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Romero vs. Perkins added to "Self-Titled!"

Postby PWG_Silverback » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:19 pm

Just added to "Self-Titled," taking place on Friday, October 6, 2006 at American Legion Post #308 in Reseda, CA:

In a rematch from "(Please Don't Call It) The O.C.," Rocky Romero will be taking on TJ Perkins! Perkins believes this match could prove to be a huge opportunity for him to climb the ladder here in PWG, since he went undefeated in both the 2005 & 2006 Battle of Los Angeles tournaments. Rocky Romero lost in the second round of last year's tournament to Quicksilver, and in the first round to Roderick Strong this year.

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla's "Self-Titled" takes place at American Legion Post #308 on Friday, October 6, 2006 at 8:00PM. The American Legion Post #308 is located at 7338 Canby Ave., Reseda, CA 91335. Tickets are $20 each, and will be available at the door. For more information, please visit http://www.prowrestlingguerrilla.com or email info@prowrestlingguerrilla.com.
PWG_Silverback
Site Admin

Postby SoCalAndy » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:18 pm

Whoa, that match is going to be awesome.
SoCalAndy

Postby evilj » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:59 pm

god damnit, pwg finally put alesy shelley on a card, but it has to be even farther than jcc, and the bola venue. :(
evilj

Re: Romero vs. Perkins added to "Self-Titled!"

Postby cspariah » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:20 pm

PWG_Silverback wrote:Perkins believes this match could prove to be a huge opportunity for him to climb the ladder here in PWG, since he went undefeated in both the 2005 & 2006 Battle of Los Angeles tournaments.

BWAHAHAHAAHA!
cspariah

Postby WorldsFinest. » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:36 pm

is the oct.21st show going to be at the legion post too?
WorldsFinest.

Postby Jamboree » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:53 am

WorldsFinest. wrote:is the oct.21st show going to be at the legion post too?

God, I hope so haha
Jamboree

Postby onlxn » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:30 am

All right, Rocky/TJ helps this card a lot. I really liked their match at the O.C. show, but it was pretty short and simple, being the opener; here, they'll probably get a lot of time to do their thing. Admittedly, TJ sometimes meanders when he gets a lot of time to work with, but I think they could put together something real nice here.

Still not delighted about the booking cuteness in the Frankie/Scorp feud (are we really supposed to root for Frankie to cut open a woman? and does anybody have any doubt about the finish?), but this is starting to look like a solid low-wattage show.
onlxn

Postby SoCalAndy » Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:05 pm

are we really supposed to root for Frankie to cut open a woman?

Seeing as Jade Chung tried to stab Frankie, turned her back on one of the most popular faces in the promotion, and gets a shitload of hate from fans at live shows, I say yes. Plus Super Dragon giving her a curb stomp got one of the biggest pops at BOLA weekend. Plus she's an evil bitch. Plus she cut Frankie's hair.

And a quick question to the PWG staff, if Jade Chung goes on the rag, does that mean Frankie wins automaticly?
SoCalAndy

Postby urmomsurdad » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:51 pm

SoCalAndy wrote:And a quick question to the PWG staff, if Jade Chung goes on the rag, does that mean Frankie wins automaticly?

read my mind like your inside it.
urmomsurdad

Postby PsychoDriver » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:54 pm

onlxn wrote:Still not delighted about the booking cuteness in the Frankie/Scorp feud (are we really supposed to root for Frankie to cut open a woman? and does anybody have any doubt about the finish?)

RING RING BRO, it's a work.
PsychoDriver

Postby onlxn » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:01 pm

PsychoDriver wrote:RING RING BRO, it's a work.

And a shitty one.
onlxn

Postby PsychoDriver » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:01 pm

Yeah, and you're getting worked up by a "shitty" work. Stop being so uptight and stop being such a sexist.
PsychoDriver

Postby onlxn » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:14 pm

I wouldn't say I'm getting worked up -- I'm not morally offended by it. I just think it's dumb booking. It'll be a worse match than a straight Frankie/Scorp match would be, and going after a non-worker (Jade's semi-trained, but she's presented in PWG as a valet) isn't gonna get Frankie much face heat. Doesn't help the show, doesn't help the feud. To me, that's dumb booking.

In fact, sub in "booking" for "wrestler" in the following quote...

"I think you should just shut the fuck up and let people express their opinions without you having to tell them to change their thoughts just because they think some shitty wrestler you like sucks."
-- PsychoDriver
onlxn

Postby SoCalAndy » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:44 pm

It'll be a worse match than a straight Frankie/Scorp match would be, and going after a non-worker isn't gonna get Frankie much face heat. Doesn't help the show, doesn't help the feud. To me, that's dumb booking.

Do you know that for sure? Do you know what everyone who goes to PWG thinks? You can't say things like that because things haven't played out yet. Saying the match could either be shitty or great is one thing, but to imply that it wont generate heat or help the feud without even seeing how it plays out is pretty dumb. There are many scenarios PWG could go with and that would help this feud. You're not even giving it a chance to see what happens, you're just automaticly assuming it's going to be dumb.
SoCalAndy

Postby onlxn » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:00 pm

All right, fine -- I think the match will be shitty. That suit you better?

Obviously there are a million ways they could go with it. That doesn't justify every booking decision before the fact. I think, had we all known that Petey would be at BOLA, we wouldn't have liked it -- we wouldn't have needed to wait for the actual shows to think it was a shitty decision.

Frankie and Scorp had a great match last month. Injecting a pseudo-worker who the babyface is supposed to bust open into the actual *match* -- not as a valet, but as a participant -- realistically precludes the possibility that they'll have a great match. Handicap matches generally suck. The only good thing about them is that they stack the odds against the babyface -- and since the extra person is just a valet, that doesn't even factor in here. Frankie's not facing impossible odds here; he's just in some weird match.

It's nice that people like to be so positive about PWG on this board -- I generally do too -- but it's pretty silly that people are so terrified of criticizing any move the promotion makes. Uniformly positive discussion is pretty fucking boring and pretty unproductive. I'm contending that this is a poorly booked match, with infinitely less potential than other things they could've done. "You're uptight" isn't a real argument against that; "you don't know what will happen" isn't a real argument against that. If you want to argue that it's actually well-booked, go right ahead. But all this "I luv PWG, don't rock the boat" bullshit is pretty lame.
onlxn

Postby BMH55 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:20 pm

onlxn wrote:All right, fine -- I think the match will be shitty. That suit you better?

Obviously there are a million ways they could go with it. That doesn't justify every booking decision before the fact. I think, had we all known that Petey would be at BOLA, we wouldn't have liked it -- we wouldn't have needed to wait for the actual shows to think it was a shitty decision.

Frankie and Scorp had a great match last month. Injecting a pseudo-worker who the babyface is supposed to bust open into the actual *match* -- not as a valet, but as a participant -- realistically precludes the possibility that they'll have a great match. Handicap matches generally suck. The only good thing about them is that they stack the odds against the babyface -- and since the extra person is just a valet, that doesn't even factor in here. Frankie's not facing impossible odds here; he's just in some weird match.

It's nice that people like to be so positive about PWG on this board -- I generally do too -- but it's pretty silly that people are so terrified of criticizing any move the promotion makes. Uniformly positive discussion is pretty fucking boring and pretty unproductive. I'm contending that this is a poorly booked match, with infinitely less potential than other things they could've done. "You're uptight" isn't a real argument against that; "you don't know what will happen" isn't a real argument against that. If you want to argue that it's actually well-booked, go right ahead. But all this "I luv PWG, don't rock the boat" bullshit is pretty lame.

I don't think that this match is the best way to go, ,but they need to drag this fued out until ASW4, so this is pretty much all I could see them doing. If Scorpio is available for this show then he should be replaced with Jade, otherwise this is all that they could do and keep it interesting at the same time. Ex. look at John Cena/Edge fued.
BMH55

Postby onlxn » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:46 pm

Well, I know what you mean... still, their match at BOLA was their first singles match, and it ended in a DQ. They could just run a straight Frankie/Scorp First Blood match -- those matches are goofy enough so that it wouldn't seem conclusive anyway. I mean, if you want Frankie to beat on Jade, you should save that for the end of the feud anyway... I don't get the upside of having him smack her around while things are still going on.
onlxn

Postby SoCalAndy » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:05 pm

All right, fine -- I think the match will be shitty. That suit you better?

Yes.

Obviously there are a million ways they could go with it. That doesn't justify every booking decision before the fact.

You're right, but it also doesn't justify you going around saying "it's not going to get Frankie face heat" like you are in this thread.

I think, had we all known that Petey would be at BOLA, we wouldn't have liked it -- we wouldn't have needed to wait for the actual shows to think it was a shitty decision.

Apples and oranges. We already know Petey doesn't put effort into PWG and that he's a poor worker, but we don't know how Jade Chung will effect the match quality.

The only good thing about them is that they stack the odds against the babyface -- and since the extra person is just a valet, that doesn't even factor in here. Frankie's not facing impossible odds here; he's just in some weird match.

Jade Chung can be a huge factor against Frankie. He could gain a lot of control over Sky and Jade can come in and give him a low blow, hit him with some sort of object, or cause a distraction for Frankie which would end up helping Sky gain control. The fact that this is a First Blood match that will obviously involve weapons and is NoDQ stacks things against Frankie. The Dynasty can get invovled without costing Sky a DQ. Jade can break up pins aswell now too. There are plenty of things that can be done now with the stipulation then before.

It's nice that people like to be so positive about PWG on this board -- I generally do too -- but it's pretty silly that people are so terrified of criticizing any move the promotion makes.

It's not that there's criticism about PWG, it's that the criticism is something someone doesn't agree with.

Uniformly positive discussion is pretty fucking boring and pretty unproductive.

And uniformly negative discussion is pretty boring too and could be a lot less productive. Luckily, there's no uniformly postitive/negative shit going on here. Besides, even if everyone was positive about PWG, the bookers would know that they're pleasing their fans. I don't see anything wrong with that.

I'm contending that this is a poorly booked match, with infinitely less potential than other things they could've done. "You're uptight" isn't a real argument against that; "you don't know what will happen" isn't a real argument against that.

That's great that you have an opinion and all, but to say that me telling you that you don't know how things will turn out is a very valid point. You were saying that because Frankie going after Jade wouldn't get him face heat, but you don't know if he is even going to try and bust her open. You also don't know how the crowd will react to things. Say what you will, but it is a valid point.

If you want to argue that it's actually well-booked, go right ahead.

I'm not going to argue that right now, because I don't know how it's going to play out and I don't want to make any assumptions about what will happen.

But all this "I luv PWG, don't rock the boat" bullshit is pretty lame.

And all the "PWG is doing something I think is stupid and don't agree with and you people disagreeing with me so you are obviously way too positive about the promotion thus you have problems" stuff is really lame too. I don't have a problem with you man, but honestly your post makes you come off as a child who is complaining that people aren't seeing things his way.
SoCalAndy

Postby SoCalAndy » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:06 pm

onlxn wrote:I don't get the upside of having him smack her around while things are still going on.

Simple, he tries to get rid of her which results in Frankie having one less factor to deal with when trying to get revenge on Sky.
SoCalAndy

Postby onlxn » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:02 pm

I think, had we all known that Petey would be at BOLA, we wouldn't have liked it -- we wouldn't have needed to wait for the actual shows to think it was a shitty decision.

Apples and oranges. We already know Petey doesn't put effort into PWG and that he's a poor worker, but we don't know how Jade Chung will effect the match quality.

Jade could be Jaguar fuckin' Yokota -- her abilities aren't the point. Handicap matches suck. I would say that, as wrestling fans who have seen a lot of them, we know that.

Besides, Petey's had a decent match or two in PWG -- the Sabin match, for example. I don't like him, and I don't want him back, but his hurting a card is no more of a guarantee than an intergender handicap First Blood match.

The only good thing about them is that they stack the odds against the babyface -- and since the extra person is just a valet, that doesn't even factor in here. Frankie's not facing impossible odds here; he's just in some weird match.

Jade Chung can be a huge factor against Frankie. He could gain a lot of control over Sky and Jade can come in and give him a low blow, hit him with some sort of object, or cause a distraction for Frankie which would end up helping Sky gain control. The fact that this is a First Blood match that will obviously involve weapons and is NoDQ stacks things against Frankie. The Dynasty can get invovled without costing Sky a DQ. Jade can break up pins aswell now too. There are plenty of things that can be done now with the stipulation then before.

All that stuff could be done in a straight-up First Blood, or a no-DQ match, or a bunch of different stips. Jade could interfere in any number of types of matches without her being an actual participant.

It's nice that people like to be so positive about PWG on this board -- I generally do too -- but it's pretty silly that people are so terrified of criticizing any move the promotion makes.

It's not that there's criticism about PWG, it's that the criticism is something someone doesn't agree with.

Problem is that nobody's really disagreed with me -- people have said I'm uptight or, in your case, pointed out that we can't predict the future. I've been DYING for somebody to actually disagree -- you've finally done that here, which will at least get some discussion going.

Uniformly positive discussion is pretty fucking boring and pretty unproductive.

And uniformly negative discussion is pretty boring too and could be a lot less productive.[/quote]
Agreed, which is why most of my posts contain nothing but praise for the product.

Besides, even if everyone was positive about PWG, the bookers would know that they're pleasing their fans. I don't see anything wrong with that.

I don't either... but why act like it's a perfect product when it's not? I think it's clear that we all love PWG here... I've personally put several hundred bucks into the fed, as have you, I'm sure, as have a lot of us. As fans and supporters, I think we're certainly entitled to criticize parts of the product we don't like.

I'm contending that this is a poorly booked match, with infinitely less potential than other things they could've done. "You're uptight" isn't a real argument against that; "you don't know what will happen" isn't a real argument against that.

That's great that you have an opinion and all, but to say that me telling you that you don't know how things will turn out is a very valid point. You were saying that because Frankie going after Jade wouldn't get him face heat, but you don't know if he is even going to try and bust her open.

Well, if he doesn't try to bust her open, why the fuck is she in the match? That's a pretty weird justification for the booking.

You also don't know how the crowd will react to things. Say what you will, but it is a valid point.

You're right -- it's a valid point. I think the match won't be as hot as it would've been otherwise, but I could be wrong about that.

If you want to argue that it's actually well-booked, go right ahead.

I'm not going to argue that right now, because I don't know how it's going to play out and I don't want to make any assumptions about what will happen.

Give me a break -- we're all making assumptions here. I think we all assume that the tag title match will be great, that the Cape Fear match will be great... you've gone on record as assuming that Rocky/TJ will be great (which I agree with). I'm *assuming* that the handicap match will suck, for reasons I've stated. To use an extreme example, if somebody had shat on DDP/Arquette vs. Jarrett/Bischoff beforehand, would you have intervened with, "You shouldn't say that, you don't know what will happen"? Even if Arquette wouldn't have won, it still would've sucked, yes?

But all this "I luv PWG, don't rock the boat" bullshit is pretty lame.

And all the "PWG is doing something I think is stupid and don't agree with and you people disagreeing with me so you are obviously way too positive about the promotion thus you have problems" stuff is really lame too. I don't have a problem with you man, but honestly your post makes you come off as a child who is complaining that people aren't seeing things his way.

I have no problem with people not seeing things my way. If you think I sound like a child, that's fine, man. People on here can think I'm an idiot, an asshole, a pussy... whatever. I really don't care.

All I'm interested in here is discussion. If I criticize a match, a booking, whatever, I'd fuckin' love for people to disagree with me, so we can discuss it. Saying "you're uptight, dude" doesn't offend me, but it impedes discussion. Saying "you can't know what will happen" is certainly technically correct, but condemning speculation impedes discussion.

Throughout this thread, I've been responding to other people's points in an attempt to provoke discussion. You seem much more interested in snuffing out discussion than starting it.
onlxn

PreviousNext

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum