The Next Step For Ronin

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

The Next Step For Ronin

Postby onlxn » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:48 pm

Ronin's been the subject of a late of discussion lately. He's getting a huge push, and he's becoming a pretty good worker, but some people (myself included) still think he's missing a little something. For a big ass-kicker with killer offense, he seems kind of "aw shucks" and almost... shy. Just doesn't have the swagger that you'd expect for the type of worker he is. Jay and TD98 saw more fire in him than before at NGW, so that's a good sign, but I realized there's another thing he could do do help the situation.

Ronin needs a new mask.

This isn't the usual "Ronin needs to change his gear" thing. Yes, his look isn't good, and yeah, he'd probably be well-served to change it... but Steen has a bad look, and that hasn't hurt his PWG reactions one bit. Ronin can get by with this gear. But he'd be helped greatly if he got a full mask, one that covered his entire face.

Ronin's been billed, mainly in other feds, as Super Dragon's protege. The similarities are obvious, to the point where there's a "Ronin = Super Dragon" thread on this board. Ronin is clearly trying to wrestle like Dragon, and as a Dragon mark, I think that's a good thing. But there's a big difference between the two of them: Dragon wears a full mask. It adds gravity and mystique to his performance, and makes you extra-intimidated by the sadistic asshole underneath.

With Ronin... you can see part of his face. And his face never looks intimidating. For that matter, Ronin's face never shows pain, fear or any other emotion. He's just not a facially expressive worker. And if you're going to wear a half-mask, you have to be. Look at guys like Ultimo Guerrero and Abismo Negro, and the intensity, the emotion, of their facial expressions. Hell, look at Generico and Quick on the main page. You still have to emote with a half-mask.

Dragon's come up with a different strategy: cover your whole face, so all your expression comes from your body language. Works great for him, as he pulls off all this subtle prick stuff without ever talking or showing his face. I think Ronin's capable of that too, but it's compromised by the fact that you can see half of his decidedly un-angry face.

It may sound like nitpicking, but it's really not. A lot of Generico's brilliance comes from his masked facial expressions -- it's one of his greatest strengths. It's *not* a strength for Ronin -- in fact, his facial expressions are perhaps his *weakest* attribute as a worker -- so he might as well get a scarier and more concealing mask. It'd make the crowd be more intimidated and intrigued by him, which is what he seems to be going for. You give Ronin a full mask and those "Hello Kitty" chants will go away for good. Not just because the mask would (hopefully) look less Kittylike, but also because you wouldn't be able to see his sheepish face. A fully masked enigma who wrestles like Ronin does -- people wouldn't be too eager to piss that guy off.

A new mask for Ronin, I say. Who's with me?
onlxn

Postby Big Joe » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:19 am

Big Joe

Postby shotcaller784 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:16 pm

this thread is the reason why PWG still isnt legitimate in many parts of the wrestling community. Ronin has got to be on of the biggest sanbaggers in the buisness. i dont think that getting him a new mask or pushing him like hell will do anything for his carrer. here's a list of what needs to be done:
1. Go to the Lance Storn Wrestling academy and get some proper training.(dont be a wrestling school drop out like Super Dragon)
2. Lose some weight.
3. Buy a gym pass
4. Dont listen to SuperDragon.
:twisted:
shotcaller784

Postby watchxyoxface » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:17 pm

shotcaller784 wrote:this thread is the reason why PWG still isnt legitimate in many parts of the wrestling community. Ronin has got to be on of the biggest sanbaggers in the buisness. i dont think that getting him a new mask or pushing him like hell will do anything for his carrer. here's a list of what needs to be done:
1. Go to the Lance Storn Wrestling academy and get some proper training.(dont be a wrestling school drop out like Super Dragon)
2. Lose some weight.
3. Buy a gym pass
4. Dont listen to SuperDragon.
:twisted:

lol
watchxyoxface

Postby curbstomp » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:45 pm

Changing his mask won't do shit. That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard on this board. It won't alter how he behaves in the ring or how the fans will react. It might make him look tougher depending, but its only an superficial alteration.

A better move would be a face turn. He kicked ass as a face at Next Gen. So unexpected, and incredibly entertaining. It allowed him to be far more technical & innovative than he's been as a heel.
curbstomp

Postby onlxn » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:02 pm

curbstomp wrote:Changing his mask won't do shit. That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard on this board.

WOW, you haven't been paying much attention, then!

It won't alter how he behaves in the ring or how the fans will react. It might make him look tougher depending, but its only an superficial alteration.

There's nothing superficial about changing one's look. Wrestling is all about how you present himself -- I think Ronin would be able to present himself much more effectively with a full mask.

A better move would be a face turn. He kicked ass as a face at Next Gen. So unexpected, and incredibly entertaining. It allowed him to be far more technical & innovative than he's been as a heel.

I wasn't at Next Gen, so I can't comment on his performance... I hope it was as awesome as you guys are saying. Even if he starts to work face, though, a full mask would help. The same unexpressive face that hinders his heel reactions would hinder his face pops, as well.
onlxn

Postby PsychoDriver » Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:58 am

I'd rather see Ronin attack fans again. He should also kick people's faces more often.
PsychoDriver

Postby Meltman » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:14 am

A new mask won't be a turning point for Ronin. What makes the guy interesting is the fact that he plays a complete badass, yet he's got kitty ears. That's actually a good thing... It's different. Let the fans make fun of him, and he can prove them wrong by going apeshit against his opponents. It'd make for a fun angle.

Oh, and don't let him talk much, and bring someone in to do the talking for him. If PWG isn't doing anything worthy with Excalibur, I'd love to see him as Ronin's manager/mouthpiece. No joke.

Hell, have him wear a suit over his body suit. :lol:
Meltman

Postby SoCalAndyIsGay » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:21 pm

Just look at him. How can you possibly take him serious as a wrestler. Ronin epitomizes all the stereotypes of bad indies. If you are watching an Indy fed and you're pretty sure you can wrestle in it, then its probably not very good. The guy needs to lose weight, change his look and refine his skills because when half of the crowd looks more athletic than you then theres problems.
SoCalAndyIsGay

Postby PsychoDriver » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:32 pm

The guy needs to lose weight, change his look

Only fags care about what dudes look like, fag.
PsychoDriver

Postby SoCalAndyIsGay » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:41 pm

Good one. Now back to your homework.
SoCalAndyIsGay

Postby PsychoDriver » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:53 pm

Fail.
PsychoDriver

Postby SoCalAndyIsGay » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:05 pm

Grow up seriously. What are you 12?
SoCalAndyIsGay

why?

Postby freehat bonch » Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:03 pm

how can anyone say that ronin isn't the next big thing in pwg. In independent wrestling your look is not important, unless you're a guy like ronin or joey ryan. Just as joey's mustache let him hold on to the title as long as he did, so will it be for ronin. If anything ronin should keep his look or get an even more ridiculous/awesome(bigger ears would be good) mask that will take him to the top and KEEP HIM THERE. I honestly predict a ronin title reign in 2007.
freehat bonch

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum