Quackenbush to PWG -Yes/No?

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Should Mike Quackenbush be brought back to PWG?

Yes
74%
No
26%

Total votes : 27

Quackenbush to PWG -Yes/No?

Postby JustJay » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:20 pm

I've always been an advocate of PWG "going out of the box" to find new regular talent - it's what netted them El Generico and Kevin Steen, and I really enjoyed the inclusion of guys like Jimmy Jacobs, Tyler Black and of course PAC for All Star Weekend 4.

One wrestler who is arguably one of the top 5 talents in indy wrestling, and has the advantage of not being caught up in the FIP/ROH/TNA triad of Priority Booking, is Mike Quackenbush. I've introduced a lot of wrestling fans whose knowledge of the indy scene doesn't go beyond ROH, TNA and PWG to Quack, and they've all been instantly blown away by what he's capable of doing. His matches with Claudio at Best of the Best 5, TPI '06 and CHIKARA's Negative Balance are regarded as incredibly matches, and rightfully so. I've never really seen anyone perform incredibly complex lucha so effortlessly as Quackenbush, and also keep up with the European matwork of guys like Hero and Alex Shelley. Quackenbush is one of the few guys I have NEVER seen have a bad match...and the tremendous respect he receives in places like IWA-MS and CZW are proof he's an asset to any company he competes in.

I'm aware he was previously booked in PWG at Use Your Illusion 4 as part of a CHIKARA touring indy 6-man tag and didn't make much of an impression - but that was 2 years ago when the CHIKARA students weren't nearly as advanced as they are now.

Quack coming can bring about a lot of potential "dream matches" that wouldn't happen elsewhere - Quack/Quicksilver, Quack/Generico, Quack/Scorpio Sky would all be tremendously entertaining additions to any PWG card.

A Quack/Shelley, Claudio, or Hero match would be a great introduction to him for PWG audiences, and I think he'd make a great impression on PWG fans. After all, why should IPW and IWA Deep South get to hog him?
JustJay

Postby SoCalAndy » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:36 pm

I went with no. Quack is a great talent and all, but I'd rather see PWG start focusing on bringing in newer talents that aren't already indy superstars. Plus PWG already books dudes like Sabin, Shelley, Hero, Claudio, Roderick, and so on. They should look into dudes who aren't already stars and should build them up. Generico and Steen were two guys who weren't big names at the time of their PWG debuts. I'm sure some will disagree, and claim that they were well known, but in my mind PWG made them stars. PWG did the same with Davey.

I think PWG would be better off by building up their own set of stars. Right now, Bino Gambino could end up becoming a star if PWG pushes him correctly. When Koslov comes back, PWG could elevate him to the next level. If Pac became a regular in the US, PWG could be the ones to claim to have made him a star in the US if they booked him on a regular basis. Quack is a great talent and all, but PWG should focus on making stars, and not booking guys who are already stars.
SoCalAndy

Postby JustJay » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:52 pm

SoCalAndy wrote:I think PWG would be better off by building up their own set of stars. Right now, Bino Gambino could end up becoming a star if PWG pushes him correctly. When Koslov comes back, PWG could elevate him to the next level. If Pac became a regular in the US, PWG could be the ones to claim to have made him a star in the US if they booked him on a regular basis. Quack is a great talent and all, but PWG should focus on making stars, and not booking guys who are already stars.

I do agree with building up Koslov and Bino - they're basically the future uppercarders of the company, with Koslov especially as a potential "franchise player." I was really hoping Pac would be booked in January, but unfortunately a 1PW show that weekend derailed that possibility. But they really DO need to capitalize on Pac's ASW4 momentum in the near future.
JustJay

Postby watchxyoxface » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:30 pm

I'm gonna go with no as well. For one, Quack has said himself he isn't going to really work anywhere besides CHIKARA with his back problems and new marriage. I do not see him wanting to fly out to California twice a month for some undercard work.

Plus, there are plenty of other guys out in the indies that could easily be brought in, are affordable, not in ROH or TNA, and could have some strong direction in PWG. Josh Abercrombie, Tyler Black, etc.
watchxyoxface

Postby onlxn » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:09 am

I went with "yes", though for the above reasons and others, I doubt it'll happen. Quack would help shows for the same reason that Necro would: he'd add variety. We're a bit heavy on highspot guys at the moment. That's PWG's general style, and that's fine, but guys who bring something different to the table, whether it be matwork, brawling, hardcore, whatever, really make cards pop better and stay hot longer.

True that PWG should focus on building new stars, but it's a double-edged sword: if you really put a guy on the map, there's a good chance he'll get bookings with ROH/FIP/etc and become less available. It's happening with Davey, and Generico and Steen are getting ROH shots again. For that reason, I agree with what Jay mentioned -- PWG should make use of the best talents that Gabe doesn't care about, as they're the guys who could become reliable regulars. I think Necro's a better example than Quack, but the point is, there are a number of guys like that. I actually think Ian Rotten would be a pretty fun fly-in every once in a while. (The problem is that Gabe is pretty smart about using top-flight talent... we were lucky that he missed the boat on Generico for as long as he did.)

I can't see Pac getting booked often in the future unless WSX is footing the airplane bill... I mean, with that money, they could just book AJ more than not, who's closer to a draw than Pac. I'd actually be interested in seeing some of the Vancouver-area guys that Danielson was talking up in a recent interview. That's a much cheaper ticket, and I could believe that there are a lot of great Canadian workers that nobody ever hears about.
onlxn

Postby Kamikaze » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:43 am

SoCalAndy wrote:I went with no. Quack is a great talent and all, but I'd rather see PWG start focusing on bringing in newer talents that aren't already indy superstars. Plus PWG already books dudes like Sabin, Shelley, Hero, Claudio, Roderick, and so on. They should look into dudes who aren't already stars and should build them up. Generico and Steen were two guys who weren't big names at the time of their PWG debuts. I'm sure some will disagree, and claim that they were well known, but in my mind PWG made them stars. PWG did the same with Davey.

I think PWG would be better off by building up their own set of stars. Right now, Bino Gambino could end up becoming a star if PWG pushes him correctly. When Koslov comes back, PWG could elevate him to the next level. If Pac became a regular in the US, PWG could be the ones to claim to have made him a star in the US if they booked him on a regular basis. Quack is a great talent and all, but PWG should focus on making stars, and not booking guys who are already stars.

So then what about the Chikara guys like Jigsaw, Hallowicked, Cheech, and Cloudy? I'd consider them at the same level now as Generico and Steen right before they came in.
Kamikaze

Postby TigerDriver98 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:27 am

I'm all for Quack coming in. I don't think there would be a problem with him being used semi-regularly. You know for special occasions like ASWs/BOLAs/Scattered shows (like M-Dogg is being used now)

I mainly would like to see him work with Claudio. I really enjoy their work together and it would be great to see it live. Quack Vs Generico/Steen/Arrogance ETC all sound like great potential matches too.

So yeah I think a Quackenbush BOLA or ASW appearance would do nothing but good. It'd be something different and a much better use of a "fly in" than someone like a Petey Williams. Who didn't bring much to the table in this last appearances.
TigerDriver98

Postby The Six » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:23 am

Just as long as he doesn't do any podcasts...
The Six

Postby SoCalAndy » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:15 pm

So then what about the Chikara guys like Jigsaw, Hallowicked, Cheech, and Cloudy? I'd consider them at the same level now as Generico and Steen right before they came in.

I think Jigsaw and Hallowicked are good, but not on the level of talent that Generico and Steen had when they debuted. I doubt they'd be able to do what Generico and Steen did to earn their spots in PWG.

Cheech and Cloudy, I think their matches are horrible. I hope they never get booked for a PWG show.
SoCalAndy

Postby onlxn » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:44 pm

Hallowicked's also making a splash in FIP right now, so he's definitely on Gabe's radar. The window for booking Chikara guys super-easily is closing fast.
onlxn

Postby scrub » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:36 pm

Yes, only if he does windmill chops.
scrub

Postby Deviant » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:22 am

No question. I'd kill for Quackenbush vs. Generico right now. Quack brings a new element and style that would mesh really well with a lot of the PWG roster. Speaking of good match ups for Generico, I still say Cape Fear vs. Team Incoherence would be an excellent tag title match.

As Jay said, Quack is a top talent, and there are plenty of interesting matches to be had. If he's willing and able, PWG should really look into it. Perhaps just give Chikara guys in general another chance to showcase their style. Depending on all of the other contributing factors, I'd love to see a bit of a talent swap between the two companies. The Dynasty are heading over for the trios tourney, Exaclibur has been over a fair few times, it'd be great to see that continue, and be reciprocated.
Deviant

Postby FL PWG fan » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:54 am

Hell Yes, Quack would bring so much to PWG.
FL PWG fan

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum