Hitman-Bret Hart Autobiography

Everything Else, Except for Advertising. Nobody likes a shill.

Hitman-Bret Hart Autobiography

Postby CheMateo » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:53 pm

I was just wondering if anyone has gotten their hands on the new Bret Hart autobiography. I'm really looking forward to this one along with A Lion's Tale.

Hitman was recently released in Canada. It is scheduled to be released here in the States in 2008. But I know you can get a copy from Highspots or ebay.

"For as long as I can remember, my world was filled with liars and bullshitters, losers and pretenders, but I also saw the good side of pro wrestling. To me there is something bordering on beautiful about a brotherhood of big tough men who pretended to hurt one another for a living instead of actually doing it. Any idiot can hurt someone."

"As a child I was drawn to my sweet mother and intimidated by my gruff father," "Stu (my father) had a temper so fierce that some would consider his corporal punishment child abuse." "Too many times I limped around bruised and battered, my eyeballs red and ruptured because of his discipline. On more than a few occasions, I thought I was going to die." "My dad was gruff," Bret says. "Corporal punishment was more common in those days. He was a product of his time, trying to deal with 12 kids all as wild and out of control as we were."

In Japan, Bret became Tom Billington's (the Dynamite Kid) drinking buddy.

"(Tom) grew lonely, dangerous and occasionally cruel. One morning as we waited to leave on the bus, Tom opened the window, calling and waving over a poor vagrant.

"I thought Tom was going to toss a few coins ... but instead he spit right in his face and said, 'F-- you, you dirty yellow bastard.'"

During a match in 1984, Bret badly injured his knee and went into surgery.

He was worried because Davey and Dynamite's careers were moving ahead -- mainly because they were bigger from steroid use -- while doctors told him he'd be out for six months.

"I realized that if I wanted to feed my family, I needed to heal and heal fast. I'd have to take steroids."

Within minutes, Dynamite had arrived and injected Bret in both buttocks. Bret became violently ill that night. It turned out the steroids were meant for horses.

"When I was working for my Dad, I didn't have to poison my body, I didn't need it,"

"But when I got to the WWF (World Wrestling Federation), everyone was doing it. And Dynamite and Davey Boy were making three to four times the money I was. If I didn't take them, I wouldn't have a career."
CheMateo

Postby KickToKill » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:53 am

yeah I can't wait to get it...almost 600 pages....you know there's gotta be some shitting on HBK in there :lol:
KickToKill

Postby BRADTHEDARB » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:55 am

ordered it from Highspots and it was here in 3 days with media mail shipping .......... great book ...if you like wrestling autos you will love this.............Hart might be a better book writer than in ring performer it's that good ....Jericho is on the self and will be next !!!!!!!!
BRADTHEDARB

Postby Danzig22 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:57 pm

That book made me lose some respect for Dynamite Kid to say the least.
Danzig22

Postby CheMateo » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:10 pm

I take it you never read Pure Dynamite. I remember loaning it to friends and it sort of turned them off to Dynamite. However I appreciated his honesty. In a sad way Dynamite did end up paying for some of his cruel actions. But I still respect his in ring work, which was brilliant and ahead of his time.
CheMateo

Postby Evilguest » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:04 am

CheMateo wrote:I take it you never read Pure Dynamite. I remember loaning it to friends and it sort of turned them off to Dynamite. However I appreciated his honesty. In a sad way Dynamite did end up paying for some of his cruel actions. But I still respect his in ring work, which was brilliant and ahead of his time.

It did that for me too, which was very sad as I had the school girl crush on him when I was a teen. I think was bothered me the most was the way he talked about not giving autographes to fans and his general dislike of us in general. Atleast thats the way it came across to me. For crying out loud who was buying the book but his fans.
Evilguest

Postby CheMateo » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:56 pm

True, signing autographs wasn't his favorite thing to do but when he was a face he still did it. Although I'm sure not enough or perhaps in a bit of a rude manner. I never like to think that some of my favorite wrestlers may be jerks in real life but it is evidently the case with Mr. Billington. However I'm grateful to the lengths he went to entertain us even though his body was paying the price. Jerk or not, nobody deserves to end up the way he did.

Evilguest may I ask, did you ever have the pleasure of seeing the British Bulldogs live?

Danzig22, some of Dynamite's pranks have made me laugh. Without any spoilers did the Hitman share any good yarns?
CheMateo

Return to General Discussion