Bits of an Amazing Kong interview

Everything Else, Except for Advertising. Nobody likes a shill.

Bits of an Amazing Kong interview

Postby CheMateo » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:40 pm

After reading about Low Ki leaving TNA, I decided to visit the torch site. I came across this interview with Amazing Kong. I thought I would just pass parts of it along.

Kong said she goes under "Awesome Kong" in TNA because of property rights. "They own that name, I own mine." She said she prefers "Amazing Kong" on the indies and "Awesome Kong" when she's in TNA.

Kong said winning the TNA women's title would mean validating the last five years of "Hell" in Japan and the American indies. Her training in Japan was very rough, "and now it's time to cash in," she said. She began training under Jesse Hernandez in the School of Hard Knocks, before impressing All Japan Pro Wrestling at a tryout and going overseas permanently to train. All Japan Women's dojo put her through "the most rigorous routine I've ever experienced," far above any high school sports she had tried, as the trainers wanted to see how much she could take.

Kong liked living in Japan. The first time she was there she "pulled a George Bush," getting some at Disney Land. She said Japanese food is an acquired taste, and that Japanese people love to make Americans try everything to see their reactions.
-Okay, is this George Bush reference about the time G.H.W. Bush was in Japan and threw up? I remember coming across some video of it a couple of years ago and it was quite funny to see him throw up in Prime Minister Miyazawa's lap. This was the only footage I could find really quick. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnOnDatqENo

A caller asked if Kong was still allowed to go to SHIMMER, considering TNA has an embargo on ROH and ROH runs SHIMMER. Kong said she does her own bookings and will still do SHIMMER, but she would respect TNA's requests if she was contacted. If anyone wants to book Amazing Kong, they can contact Ed Chuman at edchuman@midwestwrestling.com . She also has an official website at http://www.amazingkong.com, and a myspace at http://myspace.com/carsonhomecomingqueen .
-Great, so there may be a chance that we can see Kong in PWG.

A caller asked if she ran into xenophobia in Japan. Kong said the Japanese were very receptive. Sometimes she was stared at, asked if she was Queen Latifah or asked to help practice their English, but nothing bad.
-Haha, Queen Latifah. Sometimes Japanese people just amuse me.

Kong is fluent in Japanese.

Steve Corino was a close friend in Japan. Kong told a story about when Corino pretended to be her agent and got her a tryout as a dancer for an Avian water commercial. She got a callback, but also got in trouble with Zero-1 over it.

She did some MMA in Japan, but it was a lot of training and hardwork. She won't return to that sport soon. She had trouble with some "rules," like not pulling hair or fish-hooking. She retired undefeated.

WWE did actually contact her, but she liked TNA's overall product better, and TNA offered her bookings first.

Jack asked about what it was like to win the All Japan Women's Pro-Wrestling world heavyweight title. She said it was a huge sense of accomplishment, as other wrestlers went years without so much as a titleshot.
CheMateo

Return to General Discussion