ROH 'Man Up' Full PPV Review

Everything Else, Except for Advertising. Nobody likes a shill.

ROH 'Man Up' Full PPV Review

Postby KENTA » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:16 am

Top American Indy promotion, Ring of Honor, aired it's third ever Pay per View, 'Man Up' on November 28th, via the DishNetwork. The PPV was taped on 15th September in the Frontier Fieldhouse, Chicago, IL. The past 2 PPVs have been excellent by quality standards and very well received, in many of the fan
KENTA

Postby Slappy » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:34 am

So if you're in the UK, where did you see this PPV?
Slappy

Postby KENTA » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:06 pm

Slappy wrote:So if you're in the UK, where did you see this PPV?

Isn't it obvious?
KENTA

Postby CheMateo » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:41 pm

KENTA wrote:

Isn't it obvious?
If it was, would he have asked?

My friends from London told me that ROH ppv's air in the UK on TWC Fight. I obviously cannot confirm this but I have to assume that it is correct.
CheMateo

Postby Slappy » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:32 pm

CheMateo wrote:
KENTA wrote:

Isn't it obvious?
If it was, would he have asked?

Exactly.
Slappy

Postby WrestlingFanMatt » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:23 pm

I thought it was a good PPV but I don't know if i'd give it a 10/10. The opening match was good and it was a way for new fans to finally see Hero in the ring and Marifuji is one of the best workers in Japan right now. The NRC/Resielience matches started slow with Rocky/Cross but I was impressed with Stevens/Strong. Danielson/Morishima had a lot of emotion going into the match and I can't wait to see what happens when they have they're match in NY for the PPV taping. The ladder match was what I expected especially since the build up for it was amazing. I was really hoping Steen/Generico got a run with the tag titles at some point but this match showed they can be future contenders in ROH. Overall i'd say 8/10
WrestlingFanMatt

Postby WannaB » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:06 pm

Personally I think the ladder match is overrated. Nothing against the competitors, as I thought they did an outstanding job, but I don't agree with the "Match of the year" chants, or anything along those lines.

They had a fun brawl on the outside, a couple of good spots in the ring, then two finishers on elevated ladders... There wasn't much structure to the match itself. I know matches like that don't typically have a lot of structure, but I thought it had unfulfilled potential. I don't recall seeing any double team moves that incorporated the ladders which is something you'd expect in a tag team ladder match.

I may just be picky about it, but I honestly believe the match could've been better. Nothing really surprised me, and it seemed like a typical ladder match. Again, I say that with the utmost respect for what those 4 guys did.
WannaB

Postby KENTA » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:48 pm

WannaB wrote:They had a fun brawl on the outside, a couple of good spots in the ring, then two finishers on elevated ladders... There wasn't much structure to the match itself. I know matches like that don't typically have a lot of structure, but I thought it had unfulfilled potential. I don't recall seeing any double team moves that incorporated the ladders which is something you'd expect in a tag team ladder match.

Really, what structure do you expect in a match where there are no rules and the only way there is to win is by climbing a ladder and pulling down X tag belts?

BTW, the Briscoes doomsday device THROUGH the ladder and double hip toss onto the ladder fit the bill of double teams incorporating a ladder.
KENTA

Postby shyboy13 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:18 pm

You know, for some strange reason I didn
shyboy13

Postby Slappy » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:12 pm

Two double team moves using ladders isnt really a lot from two tag teams, specially from one that does a lot of MOVES~!

Did everyone know the results before watching? that might be why the lack of being on the edge of your seat.
Slappy

Postby WannaB » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:23 pm

Slappy wrote:Two double team moves using ladders isnt really a lot from two tag teams, specially from one that does a lot of MOVES~!

Did everyone know the results before watching? that might be why the lack of being on the edge of your seat.

Nope. I didn't read the results beforehand.

As for structure, the first 1/3 of the match was a brawl (albeit a good one), and then the last 2/3s was comprised of random spots. The match didn't feel like it was building to anything special. I'm not looking for a Benoit/Jericho ladder match loaded with technical wrestling, but I was looking for more than just spots. It never felt like, "Oh shit, he's gonna get the belts... NO! Now he's gonna get 'em. Wait! He's gonna get 'em. It just seemed as though no one really had control. Even when one team was dishing out spot after spot, they were really slow to capitalize, and so it felt as though they were more intent on beating the crap out of each other than getting the belts. Again, I think it could've been better given what those 4 are capable of.
WannaB

Postby Slappy » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:12 am

Ok I finally watched it today and here are some thoughts on the main event. I also thought the match was overrated, I got halfway through the match and gave up caring. The pacing was terrible with wrestlers getting absolutely killed and then popping up 30 seconds later. I just didnt care at all towards the end and thats a shame as Generico is one of the best sellers in indie wrestling. I thought the brawling at the beginning with the 10+ unneeded chair shots also wasn't needed.

Say what you will about the WWE, but at least they know how to make a match flow well. The two double team moves with the ladder were very underwhelming, doing a move but without touching a ladder I dont count as a double team move.

I dont want to sound too negative, they all did a great effort in being able to take a lot of punishment and at the end some crazy moves but I just felt they were killing themselves when they really didn't need too.

The Dragon - Morishima match was amazing though, that was such a great wrestling match. Most of the PPV was entertaining to watch, if they started doing them over here on Sky Box Office, I would definitely purchase.
Slappy

Return to General Discussion