one of the greatest matches of all time

Everything Else, Except for Advertising. Nobody likes a shill.

one of the greatest matches of all time

Postby steven keen » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:38 am

for all the wrong reasons.

i decided to watch Starrcade 1999 last night. i havent seen this ppv since it aired.

for all the wrong reasons PLEASE go out of your way to watch the "Powerbomb" match with SID and Nash.

please post all thoughts here.
steven keen

Postby CheMateo » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:02 pm

Why are there pinfalls if this is a powerbomb match?

Nash delivered the worst low blow I've ever seen.

Sid delivered one of the weakest chair shots to the back I have ever seen.

I can't believe Nash couldn't even finish the match. I know the guy is prone to popping a hamstring answering the phone but this was a really bad ending.

Watching this match makes me really hate Nash and ashamed to have ever been a Diesel fan. I guess youthful ignorance to what a good wrestler is gives me an excuse. In my defense I always liked his feuds with Shawn Michaels and Razor Ramon and those two carried him well.

It's horrible that such a talentless guy could get paid so much money and at one point be allowed to run the asylum. I've only read about Nash's booking thanks to the Death of WCW book. It proved without a shadow of doubt that Nash does not have a very bright mind when it comes to wrestling. Unless you believe the theory that Vince was paying Nash to kill WCW.

At this point in time did Starcade feel like WCW's biggest show of the year or had it already lost that aura?
CheMateo

Postby steven keen » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:15 pm

CheMateo wrote:At this point in time did Starcade feel like WCW's biggest show of the year or had it already lost that aura?

Starrcade at this time was just another show. like all of the ppvs at that time. and when you think of it, late 99 - almost all of 2000 was just terrible

i cant believe people actually bought these shows
steven keen

Postby CheMateo » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:33 pm

steven keen wrote:i cant believe people actually bought these shows
So you had a black box, like me?

It's funny that at the time WCW had so many more talented wrestlers. Some of the WCW shows had a better undercard than the WWF. While the WWF always had great main events.

Did the 99 Starcade have anything redeeming?
CheMateo

Postby SoCalAndy » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:18 pm

Nothing beats Ric Flair beating Hulk Hogan in a First Blood cage match, after being busted open and beating Hogan by making him tap.
SoCalAndy

Postby steven keen » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:40 pm

CheMateo wrote:

It's funny that at the time WCW had so many more talented wrestlers. Some of the WCW shows had a better undercard than the WWF. While the WWF always had great main events.

it did have a decent ladder match with Jeff Jarrett and Benoit. other than that it was mostly laughable. on a down note though, this was the show where goldberg gave bret hart the concussion.
steven keen

Postby TigerDriver98 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:09 pm

Don't forget Uncensored 1995 where Hulk Hogan beat Vader in a strap match after dragging RIC FLAIR to all four corners. Hard to top that.
TigerDriver98

Postby IndyMadman » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:29 am

I've only read about Nash's booking thanks to the Death of WCW book.

The only thing that Death of WCW said that was unbiased or accurate was that the reason WCW died is because the wouldn't push the mid-card...

Seriously... look how many future World Champs that didn't get the main events that they had before they went to WWE... Austin, Helmsley, Foley, Mysterio, Jericho, Beniot, Guerrero and I'm sure I'm missing a few...

Speaking of match endings...

I loved the Cage match for the title (even announced as a World title match) at Starrcade 96 where Piper beats Hogan in the middle of the ring with the sleeper... but doesn't win the title because it was called a non-title match... which was never mentioned... until AFTER the match because according to Nash's shoot it was a last minute decision to have Piper go over.

I know wrestling is fake... but Piper never argued (though it was announced and billed as a World Title match) and NO STORYLINE was made to say why it was a non-title match... none... just at the end of the match the announcers... on the biggest card and the biggest match of the year... just say... it was a non-title match.[/quote]
IndyMadman

Postby LunchBoX » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:32 am

CheMateo wrote:

So true, if it wasn't for people like Ultimo Dragon i would have never cared from WCW. Its funny cause me and my friend were talking about WCW the other day he he recalled all these NWO moment i never remembered, but i was able to recall all these awesome Ultimo Dragon and Chris Jericho moments he can't remember.
LunchBoX

Postby adamcoven » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:08 pm

WCW from 99 to 01 was right for all the wrong reasons. I like popping in a old tape from time from time to get a good laugh.
adamcoven

Postby steven keen » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:27 pm

adamcoven wrote:WCW from 99 to 01 was right for all the wrong reasons. I like popping in a old tape from time from time to get a good laugh.

as do i. its alot of fun to watch what was supposed to be taken seriously. sorta like how fans take TNA seriously.
steven keen

Return to General Discussion