Questions about Japanese Wrestling/Puroresu

Everything Else, Except for Advertising. Nobody likes a shill.

Questions about Japanese Wrestling/Puroresu

Postby So Cal Punk » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:34 pm

I'm not new to puroresu, but still after watching it for awile I have a few questions; 2 inparticular.

1. What is the statue quo on Jr weight wrestlers winning the Heavyweight Title? I bring this up because to me KENTA seems to be one the best & most popular wrestler in japan, but has never been a heavyweight champ in NOAH or anywhere elae. he's had matches for the title before, but has never won it. I think if anyone deserves that title, it's him.

2. Is there something against showing personaliy in promos? I'm mostly speaking of New Japan here. Everytime I see promos from them the wrestler always talk in the most monotone voices i've ever heard. even the heel always show respect (a little to much it seems sometimes considering they are suppose to be hated). I don't know if it's just part of Japanese culture or what.

If anyone could answer my questions that'd be great. Thanks.
So Cal Punk

Re: Questions about Japanese Wrestling/Puroresu

Postby El Asian » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:01 pm

So Cal Punk wrote:1. What is the statue quo on Jr weight wrestlers winning the Heavyweight Title? I bring this up because to me KENTA seems to be one the best & most popular wrestler in japan, but has never been a heavyweight champ in NOAH or anywhere elae. he's had matches for the title before, but has never won it. I think if anyone deserves that title, it's him.

I think KENTA is getting a shot soon but as for jr. heavyweight guy getting a heavyweight title shot, it depends, some mostly just gain some weight to fit in the heavyweight division (like Naomichi Marufuji) but some do get into the heavyweight division eventually like Tatsumi Fujinami and the late Mitsuharu Misawa, NOAH has been losing attendance as of late though

So Cal Punk wrote:2. Is there something against showing personaliy in promos? I'm mostly speaking of New Japan here. Everytime I see promos from them the wrestler always talk in the most monotone voices i've ever heard. even the heel always show respect (a little to much it seems sometimes considering they are suppose to be hated). I don't know if it's just part of Japanese culture or what.

depends, I'd say its the language barrier as well as the fact Japanese wrestling is more into being the wrestling as aspect than the sports entertainment as aspect but some do have gimmicks in NJPW like Takashi Iizuka, Hideo Saito, Jado, or Gedo or the foreign wrestlers and freelancers in NJPW currently like Tajiri, Minoru Suzuki, Yoshihiro Takayama, Kenny Omega, Giant Bernard, Karl Anderson, or MVP though other feds in Japan like DDT, Dragon Gate, BJW, or Osaka Pro have wrestlers with personality
El Asian

Postby So Cal Punk » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:19 pm

El Asian wrote:
So Cal Punk wrote:2. Is there something against showing personaliy in promos? I'm mostly speaking of New Japan here. Everytime I see promos from them the wrestler always talk in the most monotone voices i've ever heard. even the heel always show respect (a little to much it seems sometimes considering they are suppose to be hated). I don't know if it's just part of Japanese culture or what.

depends, I'd say its the language barrier as well as the fact Japanese wrestling is more into being the wrestling as aspect than the sports entertainment as aspect but some do have gimmicks in NJPW like Takashi Iizuka, Hideo Saito, Jado, or Gedo or the foreign wrestlers and freelancers in NJPW currently like Tajiri, Minoru Suzuki, Yoshihiro Takayama, Kenny Omega, Giant Bernard, Karl Anderson, or MVP though other feds in Japan like DDT, Dragon Gate, BJW, or Osaka Pro have wrestlers with personality

yeah DDT, Dragon Gate, & the others have personality. it's mostly New Japan I see this in. in ring they show plenty of personaliy, but when being interviewed they're all the same.
So Cal Punk

Postby El Asian » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:17 pm

So Cal Punk wrote:
El Asian wrote:

yeah DDT, Dragon Gate, & the others have personality. it's mostly New Japan I see this in. in ring they show plenty of personaliy, but when being interviewed they're all the same.

most likely as NJPW sees itself more focused in the wrestling aspect than the sports entertainment aspect aside for your typical backstage beatdown from another, although guys like Giant Bernard and Karl Anderson have showed personality interview in interviews in NJPW, mostly because they speak English anyways
El Asian

Return to General Discussion