Joey Ryan vs. Super Dragon iron man match

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Joey Ryan vs. Super Dragon iron man match

Postby jobberforlife » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:22 am

What does everyone think of this match? Is it known mainly for the Duff Drop to the floor or is it pretty quality the whole way through?
jobberforlife

Postby Chris » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:38 am

Better than 95% of the Ironman matches ever. Make that 99.999% because it wasn't solid rest holds like most other Ironman matches.

Probually one of the best PWG matches ever. 8)
Chris

Postby Exodus » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:39 am

I actually wrote a review of this match recently on another wrestling board. I called it the best Iron Man match of all-time:

I recently got a chance to see the PWG show 'Use Your Illusion 4', which was headlined by an hour-long Iron Man match between Super Dragon and Joey Ryan. Naturally, I had my doubts. Most 60 minute matches consist of nothing but restholds, or both wrestlers stalling a lot to waste time. Heck, AJ Styles and Christopher Daniels had an hour-long match in PWG and it wasn't that great. Sometimes it's best just to do a very good normal match instead of giving a boring 60 minute match as a way to "prove yourself".

So I watch the match. I was expecting it to be pretty dull, but I was strill trying to keep an open-mind.

69 minutes later (they went into over-time because they were both tied at 3 falls apiece), and I'm completely floored. This was everything an Iron Man match should be. This should be the measuring stick when comparing all other Iron Man matches (sadly, this seems to be the match that gets the least coverage when comparing long matches).

Very little restholds were used, most of which were done in the first 5 minutes (kinda weird when you think about it). Even then, this was more of a feeling out process instead of a "we're tired and need to use a boring resthold" type of deal.

Psychology was used. Mid-way through the match, Ryan had just started working on Dragon's leg. Dragon fought back and gained the upper-hand. Finally, when Joey got the advantage again 10 minutes later, he remembered to go right back to the leg. He worked on that leg and put Dragon in a Figure Four, forcing him to submit. Then after SD submitted, Joey went back to the leg and put him in another Figure Four. That's smart wrestling there.

It told a great story. About 40 minutes in, Dragon was up 3 falls to none. Things looked bad for Joey Ryan. But Ryan played the underdog part to perfection and was able to fight back, finally tieing the score with only 5 minutes left.

- On an unrelated note, the commentary was hilarious. Apparently, Joey Ryan is a huge Christian, Dragon is an Atheist, and the referee is a Pagan who enjoys burning down churches in his spare time. Hahaha...

This match single-handedly made Joey Ryan a main eventer in my eyes. Before this, he was mainly a tag team wrestler, but this match made him look so good. I am now a fan of Joey Ryan.

Best of all, the match was entertaining. Yeah it had psychology, almost no restholds, told a good story, and elevated someone into the main event, but the entertainment value only adds to this awesome match. It may have been 69 minutes, but the time seemed to fly by.

So that is why I find this to be the best Iron Man match of all-time. If you ever get the chance, see this match.
Exodus

Postby dxreydx » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:18 pm

This is the only PWG DVD I owned before the BOLA purchase.
dxreydx

Postby Big Joe » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:30 pm

I fucking LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVED it. My MOTY for 2004, kickass on so many levels. I loved the Super Dragon dickhead mentality after getting his third fall, doing the Flair strut and such. The Psycho Driver on the floor to end it was DISGUSTING.
Big Joe

Postby SoCalAndy » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:42 pm

I remember watching this and someone told me it went 40 minutes already and I thought only 15 minutes passed. It was so much fun to watch live and the time went by so fast. Too bad Joey was knocked retarded in this match.
SoCalAndy

Postby astro_zombie » Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:32 pm

awesome, awesome match
astro_zombie

Postby Crazy » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Do you think the ironman was better than the first Guerrilla warfare match?
Crazy

Postby B3 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:29 pm

Crazy wrote:Do you think the ironman was better than the first Guerrilla warfare match?

not even close.

though, they are my #1 and #3 favorite PWG matches ever. just my opinion though.
B3

Postby shyboy13 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:26 pm

SoCalAndy wrote:I remember watching this and someone told me it went 40 minutes already and I thought only 15 minutes passed. It was so much fun to watch live and the time went by so fast. Too bad Joey was knocked retarded in this match.

Sorry to bring up an old post but I just watched this match for the first time last night and I thought the same thing. After 20 minutes passed, I thought WHAT? That seemed like 6 or 7 minutes. The second 20 minutes were kinda long but the last 20 minutes before overtime flew right by. It was really a very good match. I usually hate long matches but this one was not bad at all. If I didnt know better I would have thought Dragon was killed after that Duff Drop to the outside. That guy is going to have neck problems when he gets older. That suplex to the outside was sick as hell too.

I could be wrong but I think Joey gets knocked out by a closeline toward the end of the match. He looks like he is going to throw up when he goes outside of the ring right after.
shyboy13

Postby theboy » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:43 pm

Yeah Joey said in an interview that was when he was knocked out.

The suprising thing is that the Psycho Driver wasn't even the planned ending, it was going to be a second rope Pyscho Driver but Joey was so senseless that he couldn't climb the turnbuckle apparently so they just did this on the spot.

Dragons bump on the Duff Drop to the outside and ryans suplex bump are some of the sickest things I have ever seen though.
theboy

Postby Suicidal Youth » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:30 pm

Match of the Year 2004 indeed. The match rocked big time, from Dragon nailing a Curbstomp on the floor, the Ric Flair strut, the bumps on the outside, and many more. Dragon and Joey went all out in this one.
Suicidal Youth

Postby onlxn » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:24 pm

Somebody had to do it...

I wasn't a fan. They worked hard, they built to some big crazy spots, but they didn't have an hour's worth of story. They told a bunch of little stories and kept working restarts, which completely took me out of the match. And while I get that they were building to the spots on the floor, they kicked out of EVERYTHING late. There'd be a fall where a guy went down easily, followed by a series of crazy head-drops, followed by a fall of working the leg. We all know from the booking that it was supposed to be Joey trying to prove himself against Mount Dragon, but there wasn't a true story told in the wrestling -- it was two guys filling an hour with stuff.

Okay match, and an impressive feat of athleticism and stamina. Not nearly as good as their Guerrilla Warfare Match, and not even as good as their BAM3K match. Ironman matches are almost always overrated, due to their epic nature, and this one was no exception. Wouldn't make my top fifty PWG matches list.
onlxn

Postby SoCalAndy » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:44 pm

I disagree. The story was very simple and effective. Exodus brought up good points when he talked about the match, and the entire story really meshed together really well. The parts with Joey finding flaws with Dragon and using them to his advantage really helped things out. The entire epic match feel to it is what made things better, as it was ment to be like that. The kicking out of things also didn't bug me. It wasn't really overdone like other stuff that has been done. Like when CM Punk kicked out of the Pepsi Plunge in his match with Austin Aries at the count of one. I liked the BAM3K match more, and the Guerrilla Warfare match was also up there, but this match was pretty special and I think that's what made this match great.
SoCalAndy

Postby Peace » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:55 pm

What I remember the most about this match was Andy said. 45 minutes into the match, it seemed like we were still under the 20 minute mark.

Great and entertaining match.
Peace

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum