Results from tonight?

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Results from tonight?

Postby Kekumba » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:44 pm

Anyone?
Kekumba

Postby Big Joe » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:04 pm

It's only 10 PM PST. Wait another couple hours.
Big Joe

Postby npdavis » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:25 pm

Was this show named yet?
npdavis

Postby onlxn » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:10 am

Started an hour late, due to some movie filming in the JCC. Show was re-named "Card Subject To Change 2", due to the last-minute and much-feared cancellation of Samoa Joe. Turned out fine...

Disco, Ronin & Nemesis beat T.J. Perkins, Fergall Devitt & Bino Gambino (really, really good for a PWG opener)

Colt Cabana beat Alex Koslov (great, simple little match)

Scorpio Sky & Human Tornado beat Quicksilver & El Generico (started really slowly, but got great by the end)

Excalibur beat Topgun Talwar (nice comedy match, best Topgun match in a while)

Super Dragon & Davey Richards beat Los Luchas (weird, short match, stopped after a seemingly real Zokre injury; afterwards, Dino & SD brawled, and Dino set up another tag title match later, making the Zokre injury seem like a worked shoot)

Frankie Kazarian beat Scott Lost (good to see Scott looking well, nice match)

Joey Ryan beat Kevin Steen, Chris Bosh & A.J. Styles to retain the PWG Championship (all three eliminations were dirty, which the crowd didn't like, but considering that, a really well-done match)

Super Dragon & Davey Richards beat Chris Hero & Claudio Castagnoli (too long, but the last 15 minutes were great)

Good show, with no classics but everything working fairly well. Too long as always, but a good job, considering all the monkeywrenches thrown in their plans.

Next shows are in Europe, o' course; next JCC show is on 3/4, with nothing announced.
onlxn

Postby Ole, Ole Ole Ole! » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:24 am

Super Dragon and Davey Richards booked twice that night? I enjoy Davey very much, but that's too much Super Dragon for me.
Ole, Ole Ole Ole!

Postby JayJay » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:11 am

To the best of my knowledge, the Zokre injury is legit. It appeared to be only a stinger, as he was carried from the ring to the parking lot to shake it off. I really don't know the extent of the injury, though I would say it's a good sign that he was only taken to the parking lot and not to the hospital.

While I'm on the subject, if the injury is legit (and to my knowledge, it was) why on Earth would Dragon or Davey continue to move Zokre after Knox had thrown the "X" signaling the end of the match? Clearly Zokre was hurt - his legs weren't moving and he appeared to not respond to Knox. It's DANGEROUS and a little careless of Davey and Dragon to continue the match in any way.

In any case, solid show (though I think a LOT of fans wanted to see Joe). Let's hope the kinks in the PWG machine can be worked out in time for the next one (let's start with tightening up the ropes and sticking to a set of rules - namely the one that saw Steen DQ'd for the chair but let Joey use it for the finish in plain sight of the referee).
JayJay

Postby Psycho_Freak » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:43 am

Looking forward to the DVD Release of This Show 8)
Psycho_Freak

Postby Kekumba » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:14 am

Big Joe wrote:It's only 10 PM PST. Wait another couple hours.

I forgot about the time change on the east and west coast. :oops:
Kekumba

Postby bford24 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:01 am

Actually the ref was Marty. I didn't know what to think cause Marty is yelling at people to come help, and there were about 6-7 guys just standing right outside the ring staring. I might have well been an injury but that was kinda odd.

The true sign is if we see Zokre on Thursday at the MTV show.
bford24

Postby SoCalAndy » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:17 am

The show was really good. I thought the main event was great, but the lack of crowd heat kinda ruined it. The storylines going on with Dragon and Davey having problems and Hero and Claudio being able to take advantage of that where fun. The finger snapping by Hero on Davey was awesome. The AXP/2SBG random tag was really good aswell. Lost/Kazarian was a really nice surprise, and the title match was really fun to watch.
SoCalAndy

Postby WrestlingFanMatt » Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:49 pm

Zorke should be fine and probably had a concussion. I just feel bad because thats twice now that their match with Davey/Dragon have been cut short due to a freak accident. I was really enjoying the match to especially since Los Luchas were going all out to start. Hopefully he'll be back soon
WrestlingFanMatt

Postby WannaB » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:08 pm

JayJay wrote:To the best of my knowledge, the Zokre injury is legit. It appeared to be only a stinger, as he was carried from the ring to the parking lot to shake it off. I really don't know the extent of the injury, though I would say it's a good sign that he was only taken to the parking lot and not to the hospital.

While I'm on the subject, if the injury is legit (and to my knowledge, it was) why on Earth would Dragon or Davey continue to move Zokre after Knox had thrown the "X" signaling the end of the match? Clearly Zokre was hurt - his legs weren't moving and he appeared to not respond to Knox. It's DANGEROUS and a little careless of Davey and Dragon to continue the match in any way.

In any case, solid show (though I think a LOT of fans wanted to see Joe). Let's hope the kinks in the PWG machine can be worked out in time for the next one (let's start with tightening up the ropes and sticking to a set of rules - namely the one that saw Steen DQ'd for the chair but let Joey use it for the finish in plain sight of the referee).

Ummm... first off I wouldn't start saying his injury appeared to be a stinger considering that you have nothing to go on other than a visual observation. It's just a bad idea because misinformation can get out there and confuse other people. People here stinger and they might assume broken neck, temporary(or)/permanent paralysis, etc...

Zokre suffered a concusion. Plain and simple. It doesn't take much to cause such an injury. It doesn't necessarilly have to be a hig impact move to cause it.

As to why Petey & Dragon continued with the match, and why he wasn't immediately taken to the hospital... Keep in mind that pretty much everyone in the locker room has been knocked out at one point or another. A concussion can at first seem very much like a simple KO. Usually they come to in a moment or two. Sometimes a few minutes. Davey, Dragon, & Pheonix were acting under the assumption that this was the case. Even still when Zokre was removed from the gym. Everyone was hoping that he'd snap out of it. He was conscious at this point but very much out of it.

I know what a lot of you are thinking. Why not just take him to the hospital? Why not call an ambulence? Well its not secret that you can't make a living off a pro wrestling when you're at this level. All of these guys have other jobs. And a ride in an ambulence costs a shit load of money. A trip to the hospital costs a shit load of money. As bad as it may be for health reasons, a lot of people in this industry don't want to rush their conclusions about these kind of situations because often times it will end up costing them money that didn't need to be spent.

For example. Human Tornado passed out from dehydration and exhaustion at an AWS show this past year. Once they got him backstage he snapped out of it after only a few minutes and was fine. Unfortunately someone who jumped the gun went ahead and called for an ambulence. It ended up costing them a pretty penny.

I know that it seems a little irresponsible to be guessing when someone is in physical distress, but it can come back to bite them hard and a lot of guys don't want to take the financial risk. And no, I am not just speaking of the promoters or the promotions.

As far as kinks in the PWG machine goes...

PWG was not responsible for Joe's absence. The agent that Joe is booked through, never made Joe aware that he was booked at PWG that night. Joe's agent dropped the ball; not PWG.

The ropes... are being tightened consistantly throughout the night now. In some cases however it doesn't do much good because some ropes such as the middle one have been streched out to much and no amount of tightening on the turnbuckles will improve them beyond a certain point. Furthermore the cost of replacing the ropes is an issue for the group that PWG rents the ring from. Typically the group that provides the ring would leave during a PWG show after the ring is set up. The ropes only became a problem several months back and the volunteer crew has recently been tasked with the responsibility of the ropes. In the past they didn't have this responsibility because the ropes are a big issue, and the liability would lie with them should something happen. Now that they are seasoned and do much of the tasking for the show's setup and tear down, the ropes are now something that they are trusted with.

And I don't really understand how a theatrical complaint can be grouped with real life issues. Joey using the chair...

In my opinion it was presented in a way that made its use by Joey unintentional. Yes Joey planned on hitting AJ with it, but he didn't plan on AJ german suplexing him and having the chair swung behind him only to knock AJ out. That's the way it was presented. There have been other matches in all of the industry where unintentional injuries from illegal objects have not been grounds for DQ's. Besides, if there is an actual referees handbook and PWG rulebook (which there isn't) and you can find a contradiction to the chair spot then keep this in mind...

Who cares? If you can actually call it a fuck up, keep in mind there have been real fuck ups before that actual screw with the shows progression. Besides, the finish was unique, inventive and all together a great way for Joey to steal a win.
WannaB

Postby JayJay » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:31 pm

Easy, killer.

I called it a "stinger" based on my ringside (fan perspective, and going through them myself) observation. He wasn't responding to anything that you or I saw (and if you saw him after the fact, I didn't), and Marty screaming "someone get the fuck out here NOW" made it apparent that something had gone wrong. When a referee throws up the "X", everything should stop - it's common knowledge amongst every wrestler I've ever spoken to. I'm well aware that these wrestlers have other jobs - where I come from, I call "Zokre" Willy and we go to lunch together. ;)

No need to take offense in my criticisms of PWG. I'm new to this fed, and I love what I've seen so far. As far as tightening the ropes goes, it's minor - and I'm also well aware that the ropes in PWG are actual ropes and not the steel cables you'll find on Monday nights. Then again, at $20 a head and a packed house, I really don't think the $50 for a spare length of rope is going to break the bank. I'm willing to bet that the TNA guys that PWG flew in are willing to shell out $10 a piece to ensure their safety.

Now I don't know how the laws work in California, but to the best of my knowledge (as someone who is simply a friend of a wrestler and a member of the "IWC"), these shows are booked as a sporting event. In doing so, one can assume to promote a show as such, you must obtain a) a license, b) a sellers permit, and c) insurance against shit like this. The last thing a growing promotion such as PWG needs is a potential lawsuit from something as simple as a fan getting knocked around - accidents happen. Insurance will cover injuries too, BTW.

The chair? A completely minor observation. Yes, I know this is the indys and not Monday or Friday night. It's nothing more than my observation. Honestly and truthfully, I -love- the product put out by PWG and I love what PWG does for the SoCal wrestling scene - between an MTV pilot and FHM magazine, this federation is going places.

Commence the hate.
JayJay

Postby WannaB » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:38 am

Sorry if my response came out as being aggressive. It's not how I meant it to sound. Its just what my writing style is like. I was just trying to offer my objective view on the issues you mentioned.

While I don't necessarilly agree with what Davey & Dragon were doing, I can understand why they did it. As for the ropes. Yes I agree. It's a great ring, but the ropes have been becoming a big issue. Especially the pegs on the turnbuckle. I've repeatedly brought it up with PWG and with the group from which they rent the ring, but I don't believe that they view it is a big concern at the moment.

On the insurance issue. I agree, but I have never been aware of any insurance policies that PWG has (but its not like I'm supposed to know anyway). However, the previous concerns I've observed and heard from many wrestlers on hospital and ambulence costs, and the actions taken at the show during Zokre's (Willy's :wink:) injury might suggest they lack of a desire to involve an insurance claim or investigation. I don't know, I can only speculate on that one.

Again, sorry if my comments came off as being aggressive. Glad to know that new fans take an avid interest. Next time you have lunch with Willy give him my best. I haven't heard any word on his condition since after the tear down last night.
WannaB

Postby SoCalAndy » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:49 pm

PWG had wrestling. I think we should talk about wrestling. I posted this on DVDR in onlxn's thread, and I might as well post this here(Although I left out my rant on retarded fans).

I had a lot of fun even with some annoying fans. The Koslov/Cabana match was a lot of fun. The comedy portions of the match where funny. Colt needs to keep coming back to PWG. The AXP/2SBG random tag was really good, the story was fine, but I do think it went a little long. Even though it went long, the fans seemed to love it(even to the point where they busted out the annoying "this is awesome" chants). The Kazarian/Lost match was one of the better Kazarian matches I've seen lately, and Lost looked really good for a guy with a shoulder injury.

The title match was really fun as hell, and the crowd seemed to eat everything up. Joey playing the chickenshit heel has been fun, and the direction of his title run seems to be going in a way where he can't use his cheating ways to win matches or get people DQ'd. The Steen/Bosh interactions where fun. While AJ's Pele kick thing doesn't do much for me, the way it was used in this match was awesome as it came out of nowhere and nobody really knew what to make of it. The involment of Johnny Fairplay was good, whether he was ment to get involved or not, and he sold a chop better than most indy wrestlers out there. The finish was really nuts, and was a smart way to have Joey retain and not hurt AJ in the process.

The entire tag team title stuff was nuts. If the angle was booked in advance, it was done well(and if it was, it was a strange coincidence that Zokre got hurt). If it was booked on the fly, then amazing job by PWG for the audible. The Dino/Dragon brawl was fun, and Dragon tapping Davey on the head with the mic was funny as hell to me. I enjoyed the tag title match a lot. By the looks of things, Hero and Claudio where ment to be the faces with Dragon and Davey being heels, but Davey trying to act as the voice of reason to Dragon's insanity. Hero snapping Davey's fingers made me cringe. Had the show not started late and had it not been midnight, the crowd probably would of been more into it. Either way, awesome job by PWG by keeping things in control in chaotic situtations.
SoCalAndy

Postby Ryan! » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:33 pm

Dont forget Dragon dumping cheetos on Davey only to have the survivor dork's friends pick them up and eat them.
Ryan!

Postby JayJay » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:16 pm

For the record, Zokre suffered a concussion after being kicked in the head. Completely accidental (obviously), but he'll be alright and back in the ring as soon as he gets the OK. He's a trooper. I talked to him today, and he remembers waking up in IHOP (which is a pretty decent place to wake up in if you're gonna get knocked out - get some pancakes, you're good to go) thinking it was Friday - technically, he was knocked into last week. ;). He's a good sport about it and was laughing today - it looked a LOT worse than it actually was.

Aside from that, I'd like to fully support PWG booking Colt Cabana more often. Tell him to bring Punker and MDogg next time.
JayJay

Postby evilpaz » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:42 pm

Ryan! wrote:Dont forget Dragon dumping cheetos on Davey only to have the survivor dork's friends pick them up and eat them.

The bitch who picked up the cheetos was fucking hot.
evilpaz

Postby scrub » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:07 pm

Ryan! wrote:Dont forget Dragon dumping cheetos on Davey only to have the survivor dork's friends pick them up and eat them.

HAHA, truth.
scrub

Postby WannaB » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:36 pm

Don't expect to see much of CM Punk JayJay. I probably shouldn't say this but I will give you one word.

Heat.
WannaB

Next

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum