TNA's Against All Odds

Everything Else, Except for Advertising. Nobody likes a shill.

TNA's Against All Odds

Postby MrPWG » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:55 pm

What are everyone's thought on Christian becoming the NEW NWA Champ?
MrPWG

Postby SoCalAndy » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:55 pm

Eh. The NWA Title doesn't mean shit anymore. Either way, congrats Christian. You have now reached the legendary status that only a select few wrestlers get to uphold as NWA World Champ. You are now on the level of Mike Rapada, Jeff Jarrett, and that guy who sucked a dick to become an NWA champion. You're in great company. Sure, you couldn't hack it in the WWE, but atleast you're in a place where once mid card comedy acts go on to become main eventers and hold down young and talented wrestlers. Viva TNA.
SoCalAndy

Postby astro_zombie » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:34 pm

SoCalAndy wrote:Eh. The NWA Title doesn't mean shit anymore. Either way, congrats Christian. You have now reached the legendary status that only a select few wrestlers get to uphold as NWA World Champ. You are now on the level of Mike Rapada, Jeff Jarrett, and that guy who sucked a dick to become an NWA champion. You're in great company. Sure, you couldn't hack it in the WWE, but atleast you're in a place where once mid card comedy acts go on to become main eventers and hold down young and talented wrestlers. Viva TNA.

:lol:
astro_zombie

Postby Big Joe » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:36 pm

The PPV as a whole was fucking AWESOME.
Big Joe

Postby SoCalAndy » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:16 pm

Another interesting fact about the NWA World Title is that Mike Rapada won the title in a 2000 tournament against none other then, "Lightning Foot" Jerry Flynn.
SoCalAndy

Postby naosix » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:43 am

SoCalAndy wrote:Sure, you couldn't hack it in the WWE, but atleast you're in a place where once mid card comedy acts go on to become main eventers and hold down young and talented wrestlers. Viva TNA.

Wow, you still think wrestling is real? Apparently you don't read the news sites. Christian's shirts were the highest selling shirts at the WWE merchandise stands at live events, he was the most over man in the WWE for a while. The only reason why he never held the world title there is because of his size.

As for your comment about holding down talent, Spike TV told TNA, as per the tv deal, that a recognizable face needed to be world champion in order to draw fans to the tv show. I don't know why the network makes the final booking decisions. Afterall, this network did give us Stripperella.
naosix

Postby noah_ther » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:17 am

I gotta agree with SCandy on this one, I mean, its not like winning the WCW belt that the likes of Ron Simmons, David Arquette, and Vince Russo have won. Or the WWF belt that such luminaries as Psycho Sid, JBL, and Vince McMahon have won. I dunno, but to me, the TNA belt still means something. I mean, man can't live by Indy wrestling alone. And he DEFINATELY can't live by WSX alone.
noah_ther

True

Postby DustyRhodesSplotches » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:57 pm

True, it's not like the NWA belt has meant anything in last decade or two, but maybe, MAYBE, this is a step in the right direction? If TNA does blow up down the road and compete with WWE, that belt could once again hold some esteem in the Wrestling world. Christian is someone I walsy wanted to see as a tp card player to see what he can do. Now he's got the ball, so I'm excited to see what he can do.

Putting him in a fued with Monty Brown as his first defense? That's eh. I'd rather see a Christian/Samoa Joe fued. Why not put the two most over characters at the top and see if it catches fire?
DustyRhodesSplotches

Postby SoCalAndy » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:04 pm

Wow, you still think wrestling is real?

Wait, are you trying to tell me that wrestling isn't real? Dear lord, my life is over. :(

Apparently you don't read the news sites.

You're right. I don't. I have better things to do on the net instead of browsing internet sites that fill my harddrive with spyware and bitch about Vince McMahon over and over again.

Christian's shirts were the highest selling shirts at the WWE merchandise stands at live events, he was the most over man in the WWE for a while.

Well it's pretty obvious that those numbers must be true since TNA is obviously pulling in the big time ratings and are packing the houses.

The only reason why he never held the world title there is because of his size.

Yeah. WWE only puts their titles on big steroid monsters like Edge, John Cena, Chris Benoit, Shawn Michaels, Eddie Guererro, and have main eventers like Rey Mysterio. They also put their titles on no talent hacks like Kurt Angle.

As for your comment about holding down talent, Spike TV told TNA, as per the tv deal, that a recognizable face needed to be world champion in order to draw fans to the tv show. I don't know why the network makes the final booking decisions.

I'm sure Spike TV really wanted Jeff Jarrett, a guy who hasn't been seen on mainstream television since 2000 and gets suck heat from fans, to hold the main title for the company instead of guys like Rhino who is/was a fresh face to most casual fans.

Or the WWF belt that such luminaries as Psycho Sid, JBL, and Vince McMahon have won.

Trying to sarcasticly lump JBL into the likes of Sid and Vince McMahon is dumb seeing as JBL actually has some talent in the ring, and is a great promo guy and can drew real heel heat.

I mean, man can't live by Indy wrestling alone.

I know I can be satisfied by watching ROH and PWG alone month after month, since they provide quality wrestling. My life isn't that empty to the point where I need a billion promotions to make me happy.

True, it's not like the NWA belt has meant anything in last decade or two, but maybe, MAYBE, this is a step in the right direction? If TNA does blow up down the road and compete with WWE, that belt could once again hold some esteem in the Wrestling world.

I doubt TNA will be able to blow up huge anytime soon. Once they start running more shows outside of Orlando and start charging fans to go to shows they could be on the level of ECW when ECW was at their peak. Plus I think the mainstream wrestling fan will forever look at the NWA title as the title that wasn't good enough to be apart of ECW and was thrown down by Shane Douglas.
SoCalAndy

Postby RM Punk » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:28 am

What TNA fail to realise is that the Impact Zone is very smarky crowd so cheering for an internet favourite - such as Christian - means very little towards being over in the eyes of a 'casual' crowd.

TNA did NOTHING to elevate the mid-card jobber status of Christian, they simply put him in the position of a main eventer and expected everything to just fall into place as if he was unbelievably popular with every wrestling fan. Perhaps if TNA built him up A LOT more, I would say this was a good move, but in the eyes of most WWE fans, TNAs heavyweight champion is an ex-jobber in their company. What does that say for TNAs heavyweight division?

I would much rather see Raven as Heavyweight Champion than Christian, before he won the title, he was built up very well and looked very strong.

What's Christian gonna do to beat all these guys like Abyss and such people? No way is he credible, at least Jarrett had cheating.
RM Punk

Postby noah_ther » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:46 am

Guys, I think we're kinda jumping the gun here. I mean, let the man have at LEAST one title defense before we go crapping all over him. He JUST won the belt, let's just see how it all plays out.

As for crapping all over TNA and still treating the WWE like it was the WWF from it's hey day. I enjoy both promotions, in fact PWG has small elements of both, the comedy and storyline from WWE and the high flying action and some of it's wrestlers from TNA. I think its' great to support PWG, RoH, SoCal Indy's etc... and I fully enjoy Indy wrestling more than WWE and TNA, but its almost too trendy to just crap over both of the bigger companies just to show how what a "true" wrestling fan you are by enjoying the more obscure promotions. There's plenty of room for a good handful of promotions out there and if I could afford to buy each RoH dvd I would. Otherwise I gotta hope for something good on youtube.com... besides watchin' a fat girl get the poooooooounce. Period.

Anyone know anywhere else to download good RoH or indy stuff?
noah_ther

Return to General Discussion