Old school questions

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Moderators: PWG_Silverback, PWGTickets

Old school questions

Postby shyboy13 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:40 pm

I have been sick lately and since I have nothing else to do except lay in bed I decided to begin watching all the PWG DVDs from the beginning. I know I am not going to get through all of them in such a short period of time but that is irrelevant anyway.

Here are my questions so far:

1. In Taste the Radness, some guy on crutches started beating up Frankie Kazarian with a crutch. I understand he was a local guy but was it ever explained why he got involved in the match?

2. In 88 Miles per Hour, there are two wrestlers I have never heard of: Black Tigers and Tigers Mask. Who are these guys and why are their names so similar to Black Tiger and Tiger Mask? Are they similar to the fake luchadores who sometimes wrestle in Southern California who just wear famous wrestlers
shyboy13
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:09 am

Re: Old school questions

Postby El Asian » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:50 pm

shyboy13 wrote:I have been sick lately and since I have nothing else to do except lay in bed I decided to begin watching all the PWG DVDs from the beginning. I know I am not going to get through all of them in such a short period of time but that is irrelevant anyway.

Here are my questions so far:

1. In Taste the Radness, some guy on crutches started beating up Frankie Kazarian with a crutch. I understand he was a local guy but was it ever explained why he got involved in the match?

2. In 88 Miles per Hour, there are two wrestlers I have never heard of: Black Tigers and Tigers Mask. Who are these guys and why are their names so similar to Black Tiger and Tiger Mask? Are they similar to the fake luchadores who sometimes wrestle in Southern California who just wear famous wrestlers
User avatar
El Asian
 
Posts: 1661
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:07 am

Re: Old school questions

Postby DuelingDragons » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:35 pm

You know, I'm starting to become the "old guy who shows up to wax nostalgic" around here but Jason Allgood was another guy who was a very solid worker that people have since forgotten. He was very entertaining in the ring and was one of my favs when he was working the "Britney Spears' Boyfriend" gimmick back in MPW. He would've made a fantastic bullet-stoppin' lackey for Adam Pearce during the title run.

Have I mentioned I miss those old Santa Ana Elks Lodge shows? They were about ten minutes from where I live and I never missed a one. Now I miss far more shows than I actually attend unfortunately.

Good times.
DuelingDragons
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:08 pm

Re: Old school questions

Postby Slappy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:17 am

I got a question, it was just before I started watching PWG but on the Card Subject to Change show, what was the original card?
User avatar
Slappy
 
Posts: 383
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:31 pm

Re: Old school questions

Postby TigerDriver98 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:46 am

Slappy wrote:I got a question, it was just before I started watching PWG but on the Card Subject to Change show, what was the original card?


That was the original card, except Danielson Vs. Hero was supposed to be a Barb Wire Exploding Cage With Circus Elephants Firing Rocket Launchers Death Match. But rumor has it that the venue vetoed that idea...

Also they did an online vote on here on this board where the fans would pick Super Dragon's challenger. The choices were American Dragon, B-Boy, Colt Cabana, Chris Hero, and Homicide. We ended up voting for Homicide, but in hindsight, I think we made the wrong decision there. I think the show would have been better if American Dragon had won it, and Arrogance challenged B-Boy and Homicide for the tag titles. But then again hindsight is always 20/20.
User avatar
TigerDriver98
 
Posts: 1778
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:47 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: Old school questions

Postby Vinniejames » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:47 pm

I believe Tigers Mask is named after the Hanshin Tigers baseball team in Japan and has no affiliation with Tiger Mask. Anyone back me up on this?
Vinniejames
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:52 am
Location: West Covina, CA

Re: Old school questions

Postby onlxn » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:09 pm

TigerDriver98 wrote:We ended up voting for Homicide, but in hindsight, I think we made the wrong decision there. I think the show would have been better if American Dragon had won it, and Arrogance challenged B-Boy and Homicide for the tag titles. But then again hindsight is always 20/20.

As I recall, you *were* pushing for Danielson, as was I. That voting result was quite the bummer, as SD/Homicide was only decent (though AD/Hero was a fun comedy match). Who knows if we'll ever get the long-awaited Dragon vs. Dragon rematch now...
onlxn
 
Posts: 630
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:07 pm

Re: Old school questions

Postby TigerDriver98 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:07 pm

onlxn wrote:As I recall, you *were* pushing for Danielson, as was I. That voting result was quite the bummer, as SD/Homicide was only decent (though AD/Hero was a fun comedy match). Who knows if we'll ever get the long-awaited Dragon vs. Dragon rematch now...


Actually, I will admit that I was for Homicide. It seemed like the more interesting match at the time. It was a first time ever dream match (who doesn't love those?). Heck, Danielson appeared on just about every other show back then, but this was the first Homicide appearance in almost a year! Surely, Danielson Vs. SD could happen some other time, right?

But looking back on it and knowing what we know now, American Dragon would have been the far better choice. The timing for that match was perfect too. Super Dragon was coming off what may have been his best year ever and Danielson was of course, Danielson. Their 2002 EPIC match was good, but you just knew that those two had a much better match in them. This could have been THAT match. Oh well... just funny to think back on it now.

In the 2006 voting however, I did think that Tornado was the right choice. Considering the 2nd place vote getter (Rocky Romero) didn't even appear on the show.

Anyway, this reminds me: I'd like to see PWG break out the fan's vote for the challenger gimmick again. I think it would go over pretty well right now.
User avatar
TigerDriver98
 
Posts: 1778
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:47 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: Old school questions

Postby onlxn » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:52 pm

You were a 'Cide guy?! BAH. Yeah, that logic did make sense, and I figured the silver lining was that they could really build to an AD/SD match, instead of having it be a random one-off. Hard to imagine that happening at this point.

Agree that the voting would be good again. It'd actually be kind of cool on a show with fewer names, in a way... would be fun to see Rocky or Scorp or TJ or Ronin get their first title shot.
onlxn
 
Posts: 630
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:07 pm

Re: Old school questions

Postby Meltman » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:36 pm

TigerDriver98 wrote:I'd like to see PWG break out the fan's vote for the challenger gimmick again. I think it would go over pretty well right now.
Couldn't agree more with you, man. This would definitely be a positive for the company right now; Tornado, while having been around the indies for a while now, really doesn't have that many stand-out matches with high-profile or well-known stars under his belt. A voting process could easily help change that.
Meltman
 
Posts: 1818
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:37 pm

Re: Old school questions

Postby shyboy13 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:42 am

The original Card Subject to Change has a dear place in my heart cuz it was my first PWG show ever. Since then, aside from the European shows, I have only missed two (one because it conflicted with a Las Vegas trip I had planned and the other because I had to baptize someone).

DuelingDragons wrote:Have I mentioned I miss those old Santa Ana Elks Lodge shows?


I attended the last Elks Lodge show ever. It was the WAR show where Jack Evans landed on his head and an ambulance had to come and get him. It was scary as fuck. I wonder if this is why they no longer allow wrestling there? Or was it cuz the wrestlers were dirtying the place with beer, water, etc. That was a really fun show that I hope one day comes out on DVD. Anyway, I too really like that venue. I believe it would be a great place to run a show now a days since it would look great on DVD when it is filled up, it can hold a lot of people, and the seats are quite cozy. I wonder if PWG can convince the owners that it was not their fault and it was another promoter that essentially burned the bridge. I love PWG but I hate the fuckin valley.
shyboy13
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:09 am

Re: Old school questions

Postby El Asian » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:04 am

shyboy13 wrote:The original Card Subject to Change has a dear place in my heart cuz it was my first PWG show ever. Since then, aside from the European shows, I have only missed two (one because it conflicted with a Las Vegas trip I had planned and the other because I had to baptize someone).

DuelingDragons wrote:Have I mentioned I miss those old Santa Ana Elks Lodge shows?


I attended the last Elks Lodge show ever. It was the WAR show where Jack Evans landed on his head and an ambulance had to come and get him. It was scary as fuck. I wonder if this is why they no longer allow wrestling there? Or was it cuz the wrestlers were dirtying the place with beer, water, etc. That was a really fun show that I hope one day comes out on DVD. Anyway, I too really like that venue. I believe it would be a great place to run a show now a days since it would look great on DVD when it is filled up, it can hold a lot of people, and the seats are quite cozy. I wonder if PWG can convince the owners that it was not their fault and it was another promoter that essentially burned the bridge. I love PWG but I hate the fuckin valley.

actually PWG had long left going to the Elks Lodge in favor of the Los Feliz JCC, a venue I miss going to as well, due to PWG got kicked out there somehow, I heard it had something to do with Steve Corino

personally I do kinda hope PWG goes back to the Elks Lodge if only to see those seats being filled up by PWG's current attendance number
User avatar
El Asian
 
Posts: 1661
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:07 am

Re: Old school questions

Postby DuelingDragons » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:24 pm

shyboy13 wrote:I attended the last Elks Lodge show ever. It was the WAR show where Jack Evans landed on his head and an ambulance had to come and get him. It was scary as fuck.


Yep, I was there for that too. Jack Evans is absolutely one of my favorites so that was probably the scariest moment I've had a wrestling show...

...well, that and Supreme running past me [about three feet] and being able to feel the heat from the flames burning his body. XPW, baby!
DuelingDragons
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:08 pm

Re: Old school questions

Postby shyboy13 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:04 am

In "Reason for the Season" the Ballard Brothers made a return as "Los Rojos Locos". I remember them saying in the previous show that they were getting no respect in the SoCal wrestling community but is there a reason why they came back as Rojos Locos? Sometimes one must really REALLY pay attention to figure out what is going on in PWG to the point where the events seem almost random.

Can anyone shed some light on the situation invloving the Ballards and Rojos Locos?
shyboy13
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:09 am

Re: Old school questions

Postby TigerDriver98 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:44 am

shyboy13 wrote:Can anyone shed some light on the situation invloving the Ballards and Rojos Locos?


At "44 Ways To Kill You With A Pimento" they cut a promo where they said they weren't getting respect and demanded a shot at the tag team titles. Commissioner Paul T. offered them a #1 contenders match with X-Foundation, however if the Ballards lost, they would be gone from PWG. Well, they lost that match. So order to get back into PWG they came back in under masks as Los Rojos Locos (a old gimmick they had done earlier in their careers).
User avatar
TigerDriver98
 
Posts: 1778
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:47 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: Old school questions

Postby SenimSilla » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:15 am

They sucked as both the Ballards and Los Rojos Locos.

But since this thread was bumped, question...

What's the deal with the Bosh/Quick/Sky vs. SBS feud? I got a few earlier DVDs, and I saw that at "Pimpin' in High Places," Bosh beat Excalibur and then Sky and Quick came out and beat down Excalibur, because they were pissed about not getting any praise and how everyone cared about the east coast wrestlers, not the hometown guys. So how did Bosh and Excalibur start to feud?
Your images may only be up to 240 pixels high.
Your images may only be up to 600 pixels wide.
SenimSilla
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:29 pm

Re: Old school questions

Postby super_chico » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:23 am

Quick question what show or shows did Alex Shelley wrestle Joey Ryan cause I was watching the DDT 4 tournament night 2 from least year and Excalibur was mention that match during the Danielson vs Ryan match.He kept saying how Shelley was putting on a clinic on Joey.
User avatar
super_chico
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:18 pm
Location: anaheim

Re: Old school questions

Postby TigerDriver98 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:34 am

SenimSilla wrote:So how did Bosh and Excalibur start to feud?


Excalibur knocked Bosh out with a Lariat at the Debut Show. Then Excalibur and Disco Machine beat Bosh and Quicksilver in a tag in October 2003. The following show Bosh appointed himself as the special guest for Team Chismo Vs. X-Foundation, and then cheated Excalibur out of the win. Which all lead to the hair vs. hair match.

super_chico wrote:Quick question what show or shows did Alex Shelley wrestle Joey Ryan cause I was watching the DDT 4 tournament night 2 from least year and Excalibur was mention that match during the Danielson vs Ryan match.He kept saying how Shelley was putting on a clinic on Joey.


That would be Guitarmageddon (the first one).
User avatar
TigerDriver98
 
Posts: 1778
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:47 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: Old school questions

Postby Slappy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:41 am

Excalibur joked how Joey Ryan would run to his car and then Alex Shelley would be a wristlock on the car. Great match and if you're a fan of Shelley its a must see.
User avatar
Slappy
 
Posts: 383
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:31 pm

Re: Old school questions

Postby SenimSilla » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:20 pm

Slappy wrote:Excalibur joked how Joey Ryan would run to his car and then Alex Shelley would be a wristlock on the car. Great match and if you're a fan of Shelley its a must see.

Be a wristlock on the car?
Your images may only be up to 240 pixels high.
Your images may only be up to 600 pixels wide.
SenimSilla
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:29 pm

Next

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], PWGnorthern and 5 guests