The "Which DVDs Should I Get" Super-Thread

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Re: The "Which DVDs Should I Get" Super-Thread

Postby SenimSilla » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:26 pm

Ok, here's a bunch of shows I've enjoyed...

Astonishing X-Mas (Guerrilla Warfare with Dragon and Steen, Roddy/Jack vs. Generico/Tornado, Fun 8 man tag, Lost/Shelley)

Hollywood Globetrotters (Dragon/Davey vs. Strong/Jack, Sabin/Shelley, B-Boy/Frankie, Generico/Quick vs. Bosh/Lost)

Enchantment Under the Sea (Dragon/Davey vs. Bosh/Lost, Briscoes vs. Quick/Generico, B-Boy/Sydal, Steen/Aries, Sky/Tornado)

All Star Weekend IV [Night 1] (8 man tag, PAC/Styles, Sabin/Shelley vs. Black/Jacobs, Strong/Davey vs. Dragon/B-Boy)

All Star Weekend IV [Night 2] (4-team tag, PAC/Generico, Cabana/Daniels, Styles/Romero)

Based on a True Story (Tornado/Joey, Cabana/Romero, Steen/Bosh, Zokre/Phoenix Star vs. Quick/Generico, Kazarian/Sky)

Holy Diver Down (Tornado/Generico, Steen/PAC, Sabin/Shelley vs. Bosh/Lost)

And since I'm about to go out, and don't have time, the following tournaments/double shots are all great as well. You can see the match listing on the site.

All Star Weekend 5, DDT4, BoLA 2007, All Star Weekend 6
SenimSilla

Postby K-Federation » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:02 am

Hey. Can anyone here tell me if the Bicentennial Birthday Extravaganza shows are good? I'm thinking about buying them, but I thought I'd ask here first.
K-Federation

Postby supersonic » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:32 am

How long do these usually take to ship? I ordered mine 12 days ago.
supersonic

Postby SenimSilla » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:53 pm

K-Fed - I haven't seen either show, but I've heard great things about both nights.

supersonic - It depends where you live. If you're in the continental U.S., they should arrived by now. But if you're in another country, it might take a little longer.
SenimSilla

Postby supersonic » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:56 pm

I'm in Texas.
supersonic

Postby K-Federation » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:28 pm

Thanks SenimSilla.

I have one more question. Which would be a better 4-for-40 deal to go with... Album of the Year, 70 | 30, and All Star Weekend 5 or Self-Titled, Horror Business, and All Star Weekend 4?
K-Federation

Postby SenimSilla » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:06 pm

I'd go with ST, HB, and ASW IV. Mainly because I enjoyed all shows, while in the other deal, AotY sucked sans one match.
SenimSilla

Postby WannaB » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:17 pm

K-Federation wrote:I have one more question. Which would be a better 4-for-40 deal to go with... Album of the Year, 70 | 30, and All Star Weekend 5 or Self-Titled, Horror Business, and All Star Weekend 4?

All Star Weekend V was all around much better than All Star Weekend 4. Self-Titled was okay, but nothing great. Horror Business is a very underrated show. It's not too shabby, but not great. Album of the Year is okay like Self-Titled. 70/30 is another underrated show with some good match ups.

I'd go with the 4 for 40 with ASW5.
WannaB

Postby CrOwNMeKiNG23 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:49 pm

Hey guys, I know these shows are not out yet but I would Recommend Dia De Los Dangerous, Scared Straight and 1.21 Gigawatts. All of these shows were really good and you can't go wrong with any of them.
CrOwNMeKiNG23

Postby delbusto » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:03 pm

Just got my dvd's I ordered and I must say I highly recommend ALL of them. In fact of you're someone like me who is just now really getting into pwg, almost ANY pwg dvd will hook you, as these matches are of amazing quality/wrestling/comedy. Not only that, but almost every match goes at least 15-20 minutes.

I'll review one of my DVD's and the rest later cause I gots stuff to do :0
Based on a True Story
1. Franky Kazarian vs Scorpio Sky: Both these guys went all out for this match. This match was very entertaining with MANY near falls towards the end, and I'm not sure what Kaz calls his finishing move off the top rope, but that was very sick. The powerslam on the floor was also pretty brutal.

2. Colt Cabana vs Rocky Romero: Cabana is EXTREMELY funny in the ring, and pulls it off very well, unlike WWE's attempt at comedy matches. Very good match for a laugh, but these two guys also display impressive technical wrestling skills as well.

3. Karl Andersen, Bino Gambino, Scott Lost vs TJ Perkins, Nemesis, Disco Machine: Very good six-man tag match, with each man getting a good amount of time in the ring. I also love Karl Andersen's screams throughout the match

4. Chris Bosh vs Kevin Steen: I was VERY impressed by both men in this match. Steen really amazed me, not only with his strength, but at how this guy can move for his size. Chris Bosh really portrays himself so well as a cockyass dude, and it even shows in his ringwork which is very cool. Shorter Terms - Amazing match.

5. Super Dragon vs Ronin: Seeing as I was really hyped to see my first Super Dragon match, I was a bit dissapointed with this one. This match was very slow paced with lots of ground/rest holds. But, I think I read that Super Dragon had already been injured previously, so I think that could have easily affected his ring work. Not a terrible match by any means, just could have been better I think.

6. Cape Fear vs Los Luchas (Tag Team championship): I absolutely loved this match! Los Luchas are an amazing tag team, and I love their high flying/luche libre style wrestling. Now on to Cape Fear! El Generico is quickly turning into one of my favorite wrestlers with not only his ringwork and unique moveset, but with how amazing this guy is at selling moves lol. I hadn't heard much of Quicksilver before, but this guy really impressed me and I was actually really bummed out when I read that he doesnt wrestle anymore (correct me if I'm wrong please!) Very very good/fast paced tagteam match, also my match of the night for this dvd.

7. Human Tornado vs Joey Ryan (PWG World Championship): One word explains this match; brutal. Very stiff hardcore action from these two, including beer bottles (that part was sick!) ladders, tables, chairs, barbed wire, and even a sickass Canadian Destroyer off the stage through a table! Absolutely loved this match with things really picking up in the later parts of the match, with the last moveset by Tornado being awesome. Very good match!

As you can see, I was very impressed with Based on a True Story, and for anyone who has not seen it, please, GET IT! :D
delbusto

Postby WannaB » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:13 pm

^^^^
^^^^
Frankie's top-rope finisher is called "The Flux Capacitor."

Yes, Super Dragon did suffer some injuries previously, and was not working at 100%.

Yes, you are correct in that Quick Silver no longer wrestles. A Shame really.
WannaB

Postby LunchBoX » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:50 pm

It really is a shame that Quicksilver is retired, i was really starting to get into his matches, he was a damn good wrestler. Id like to see him return.
LunchBoX

Postby GravityMan » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:35 pm

LunchBoX wrote:It really is a shame that Quicksilver is retired, i was really starting to get into his matches, he was a damn good wrestler. Id like to see him return.

All the concussions he has received took a toll on him. I blame Super Dragon for this due to killing Quicksilver with multiple Barry White Drivers and the different versions of Psychodrivers
GravityMan

Postby CheMateo » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:45 pm

GravityMan wrote:
LunchBoX wrote:It really is a shame that Quicksilver is retired, i was really starting to get into his matches, he was a damn good wrestler. Id like to see him return.

All the concussions he has received took a toll on him. I blame Super Dragon for this due to killing Quicksilver with multiple Barry White Drivers and the different versions of Psychodrivers
That's a bit preposterous. Considering the last two concussions Quicksilver got were in matches without Super Dragon.
CheMateo

Postby SenimSilla » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:17 pm

What was the one he got before the Davey German suplex or whatever it was?
SenimSilla

Postby supersonic » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:50 pm

supersonic wrote:Okay well for my first order (besides The Musical which I got ages ago and only watched once) I got:

- BOLA 2006 and 2007
- the four newest AVAILABLE shows
- DDT4 Night 1
- ASW 5 Night 1
- Fourth Anniversary Show (in a separate order)

I consider this to be PWG's one chance to really impress me, as I've spent almost $150 on their product. If they fail, I'll stick to ROH.

Ok, PWG just really impressed me with their customer service (no sarcasm.) Due to the issue that came up, they offered me an extra free DVD and I took ASW 5 Night 2. Any quick thoughts on the show? Shelley vs. Claudio and Ki vs. Joe sound promising to me.
supersonic

Postby WannaB » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:57 pm

You've got a pretty good order there.

And ASW5 night 2 is just as good as night 1, if not better. Shelley vs. Claudio is great. Joe vs. Ki is solid. But then you've also got Pac vs. Kaz Hayashi... amazing match! Arrogance vs. Jack Evans & Roderick Strong isn't too shabby either. The Joey Ryan vs. Kevin Steen street fight is a great opener. Some history about this match that didn't make the DVD. The opening match was supposed to be the 6 man tag, but the top rope broke as soon as Ronin (the 1st guy out) got in the ring. So PWG tried to kill time while the rope was fixed. 45 minutes of Jon Ian & Excalibur telling stories, and even a surprise promo by former commissioner Paul T. After 45 minutes of that the DVD starts with Joey Ryan getting jumped by Steen and they have their match, and the rope still isn't fixed. Great stuff.
WannaB

Postby SenimSilla » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:21 am

I didn't really like Hayashi/PAC at all. But it was still a pretty good show.
SenimSilla

Postby WannaB » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:58 am

SenimSilla wrote:I didn't really like Hayashi/PAC at all. But it was still a pretty good show.

BLASPHEMER!
WannaB

Postby SenimSilla » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:37 pm

Well I've only seen it once, but from what I remember, PAC got little to no offense in and it really dragged at points.
SenimSilla

PreviousNext

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum