AJ Styles

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Postby Mac Machine » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:37 pm

SoCalAndy wrote:Yeah dude. AJ Styles isn't on the level of Comedian Killer, Sexy Sonny Samson, The Young Bucks, XTREME LOCO, Sexy Chino, Crayz, and Bo Cooper with a broken hip.
How freaking dare you put Sexy Chino and Bo..bo...Cooper...bo bo bo Cooper...on the same level as Aj! But, in all seriousness, maybe 90% is a little high since all those guys fall into that. I'm just saying he's not the super dooper rocking I want to see him every month kind of guy any more. If I was PWG though, I'd fly him in every chance I get, he draws.

I'm going to go pop in my Best of Aj in NWA Wildside now, I need my weekly fix of Air Paris/Aj Styles/Onix(whatever happened to that guy?)

PS: Remember that time Comedian Killer was at PWG? He looked so out of place.
Mac Machine

Postby SoCalAndy » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:19 pm

Comedian Killer is a monster, a monster who looks 12 years old.
SoCalAndy

Postby The Masked Akeem » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:43 pm

I don't understand the AJ hate either.

For those who think the "AJ/Joe/Daniels" stuff in TNA is repetetive, so what? What is the negative about excellent matches on every TNA PPV?

Where is the negative on a guy who works a solid highspot-based style coupled with a fair amount of stiff believable strikes, and sells beatdowns with the best of them?

I don't know what Mac Machine means by "AJ is soooo 2001," but I eagerly await an explanation.

There's maybe two wrestlers in So Cal better than AJ. I'll leave it to you to figure out who they are.
The Masked Akeem

Postby CheMateo » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:15 pm

For the people who have grown tired with AJ Styles, around when did you start to grow tired of him in PWG and what did you guys think of his title run? For all those people who still love AJ, what exactly is he doing that keeps you drawn, do you not see the POV of other people (i.e. his repetitiveness)?
CheMateo

Postby MrPWG » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:41 pm

CheMateo wrote:For the people who have grown tired with AJ Styles, around when did you start to grow tired of him in PWG and what did you guys think of his title run? For all those people who still love AJ, what exactly is he doing that keeps you drawn, do you not see the POV of other people (i.e. his repetitiveness)?

I don't think I can ever grow tired of AJ...I'm not sure what it is about him...I think it's the fact that despite the repetition he's innovative...He has come up with moves that make you say "What the hell!!!"...This is the same reason the Jack Evans has grown on me...When he lost his shoes at All-Star Weekend 2 Night 1, and kept wrestling, and not missing a beat, it blew my mind...

As far as AJ's title run...I think that is what helped PWG get the mass recognition that it enjoys to this day...The General Wrestling Public didn't care who Adam Pearce or Super Dragon are...But they know the name AJ Styles!!! That's one of the main things that turned me on to PWG...
All-Star Weekend 1 Night 1...My First PWG Show...I came for AJ, Daniels, Sabin & Petey (a.k.a. The TNA Guys), and I kept coming back because of Joey, Arrogance, Tornado, etc...
MrPWG

Postby dude1971 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:43 am

The Torch podcast made a good point recently that every TNA pay per view had JJ defending the title, a pointless X division 4 way, the Dudleys against Team Canada, that lame 3LK feud and some combo of AJ, Daniels or Joe going after the X division title. Maybe AJ isn't boring, he's just getting booked wrong by TNA?

The Dude
dude1971

Postby It's A Bomb » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:25 am

For those who think the "AJ/Joe/Daniels" stuff in TNA is repetetive, so what? What is the negative about excellent matches on every TNA PPV?

There would be no negative if they where having excellent matches every month. The AJ/Joe/Daniels matches during the summer of 2005 where really great, but now everything is predictable. Every match now has TNA trying to make Joe look like the monster, but instead of looking like one they let AJ look really strong but they still have Joe destroying him at the end making all his offense look pointless. Daniels' work in the series of matches with AJ and Joe has been the same character wise, and it's hard to take him seriously when he's made to look like the weak link in the feud.

Everything those three can do with eachother has already been showcased, twice. There is nothing left for any of them to do with eachother they need to move on.

Where is the negative on a guy who works a solid highspot-based style coupled with a fair amount of stiff believable strikes, and sells beatdowns with the best of them?

Because AJ Styles matches are the same, and it gets boring. Every match has AJ and his opponent coming out and having a feeling out process, AJ gains some cotrol, makes a mistake and his opponent taking advantage, then AJ doing one of his extremely predictable spots(Pele kick or Moonsault DDT, take your pick), then the match goes to a back and forth battle with AJ doing his tope con hilo when his opponent goes to the outside, and then they go back to going at it and somehow AJ gets his finish for th win.

AJ's selling of beatdowns is also a problem. A lot of times AJ makes his opponents look stronger than usual, but then AJ comes back and makes their offense look less effective and just comes back with stiff strikes. It doesn't matter what type of situtation AJ is in, the same forumla is used in every match of his.

His signature spots are also really contrived and add nothing to matches other than getting the TNA marks to pop. The moonsault DDT is so easy to call out. A lot of the ways he gets a person in a Styles Clash are so dumb also. When he does that one pinning thing and purposly jumps up and rolls backwards to do a Styles Clash, it looks dumb. AJ Styles over the past year has become a novelty act. All he adds to shows is name value and an extra 50 or so fans.

There's maybe two wrestlers in So Cal better than AJ. I'll leave it to you to figure out who they are.

I'm willing to go on record that half the PWG roster is better than AJ. Although I have to say that nobody outside of PWG is better than AJ, but that's not saying much.

As far as AJ's title run...I think that is what helped PWG get the mass recognition that it enjoys to this day.

You do know that PWG was getting a lot of hype before AJ's title run, right? AJ's title run didn't generate record attendence numbers, and it didn't generate any MOTYCs. What got PWG hype was the booking, Frankie Kazarian getting signed by the WWE, All Star Weekend, and amazing matches along with the generated interest from Canadian fans with the use of Steen and Generico. To credit AJ's four month title run for the sucsess of PWG is laughable.

The General Wrestling Public didn't care who Adam Pearce or Super Dragon are

Really? Is that why Dragon is one of the most over wrestlers in America and one of the most demanded wrestlers in the indy scene? Is that why he is mega over in Europe?

But they know the name AJ Styles!!!

Yeah, they also know the names Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Rikishi, Scott Steiner, Kanyon, and Jeff Jarrett. The opinion of what names the general wrestling public knows doesn't mean shit.
It's A Bomb

Postby astro_zombie » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:19 pm

It's A Bomb wrote:

Yeah, they also know the names Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Rikishi, Scott Steiner, Kanyon, and Jeff Jarrett. The opinion of what names the general wrestling public knows doesn't mean shit.

this reminds me of an m.s.i. song:

"youre tellin me that 50million screaming fans are never wrong
im tellin you that 50million screaming fans are fucking morons"
astro_zombie

Postby d_mon » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:01 pm

How did Kanyon get put into the same category as Scott Hall and Kevin Nash? Kanyon is good, I don't know how he is anymore I haven't seen him since he left WWE, but he used to be really good. I haven't seen his match against Joey Ryan, was it any good?
d_mon

Postby Dangerous Robot » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:05 pm

d_mon wrote:How did Kanyon get put into the same category as Scott Hall and Kevin Nash? Kanyon is good, I don't know how he is anymore I haven't seen him since he left WWE, but he used to be really good. I haven't seen his match against Joey Ryan, was it any good?

(Dullest) Match Of The Night! Pretty slow without the guys seeming to mesh well with each other. And what was that "interference" at the end? At least Kanyon was a nice guy after the show.
Dangerous Robot

Postby Paul Burns » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:41 pm

astro_zombie wrote:
It's A Bomb wrote:

I like MSI
Paul Burns

Postby astro_zombie » Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:34 am

Paul Burns wrote:
astro_zombie wrote:
It's A Bomb wrote:

I like MSI

how can ya not? 8)
astro_zombie

Postby Paul Burns » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:38 am

Well, my sister said its "Heavy psycho goth shit" when its CLEARLY not.
Paul Burns

Previous

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum