Gabe gone from ROH?

Everything Else, Except for Advertising. Nobody likes a shill.

Gabe gone from ROH?

Postby onlxn » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:11 am

http://www.rohwrestling.com/news/article.aspx?id=1999

I'd think work, but news sites are reporting it, too... I'm sure Meltzer will confirm or deny sometime today.

If true, this could have some interesting consequences for PWG. Supposedly one of the big conflicts between Cary and Gabe was the latter's hesitation about getting on TV. There's a chance that ROH will be setting up some kind of minor TV deal -- Versus or some fringe channel like that -- which could slightly raise the visibility of those workers. Could slightly boost PWG's drawing ability.

The other big thing is Low-Ki. Low-Ki's absence from ROH is believed to be due to a personal beef with Gabe... with Gabe gone, the odds of Ki returning skyrocket. That'd be a negative for PWG... the fact that they had Ki and ROH didn't was a potential drawing card in terms of DVD sales. There'll probably be some other talent shifts as well, so maybe certain ROH guys might become more bookable.

More generally, this really says interesting things about the ROH business model. They had to cancel a Florida double-shot a couple weeks ago due to poor advances, and they drew badly this weekend. Their DVD sales are apparently dipping. It's clear that that way of doing business simply isn't working for them the way it used to.

PWG's business model is slightly different in certain ways. PWG only runs one area, and runs it less often... PWG generally spends less on talent (though more on venue rental)... PWG offers savvy deals to encourage people to buy all of their shows, which ROH doesn't. PWG's business model has always struck me as the smarter one. But a trend that hurts ROH is likely to be affecting PWG a bit, as well. I wouldn't be surprised if PWG starts emphasizing locals more, or even goes back to one show per month most of the time (which has often ended up being the case anyway). The Guerrilla Six have steered things smartly so far, so I expect that they'll roll with this well. But it'll be interesting to see how things go from here.
onlxn

Re: Gabe gone from ROH?

Postby atox » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:54 pm

dude the line about PWG having sales on DVDS an ROH not is a lie. They have sales every week. Every week.
atox

Postby onlxn » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:28 pm

I'm aware they have sales... but they don't have sales encouraging you to buy all their new titles.

Every PWG show that comes out, big or small, is bundled with a couple other ones in a heavily discounted package. That makes it extremely likely that hardcore fans will purchase every single PWG show. ROH, on the other hand, doesn't do anything to entice you to buy new titles. Sure, they have overall sales, but the new stuff's never discounted beyond that. They never specifically try to get you to buy a show that didn't get good reviews, which means their less-praised shows just die on the vine. PWG's method is smarter... they take care to make sure you'll look at every new product they sell.
onlxn

Postby Lord Akiyama » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:00 am

The newest booker in ROH...

Scrap Daddy himself, "Scrap Iron" Adam Pearce.
Lord Akiyama

Postby Dr.Gonzo » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:34 pm

I like the fact that Adam Pierce is taking over the book. I really want to see what he will do with ROH. I also think that it's a good idea that they're changing bookers as things had gotten stale a long time ago. I don't get why people are acting like this is the end or that "Gabe's ROH" is dead and this new era of ROH is going to become the equivalent of McMahon's ECW.
Dr.Gonzo

Postby steven keen » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:48 am

good riddance. Never liked this promotion. always TOO serious never made me laugh nor was it ever really fun.

Im excited at the prospect of the Scrap Daddy in charge. hes got a good wrestling mind and i think ROH will benefit from it.
steven keen

Postby RoaringElbow » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:49 pm

being an ROH-mark I will miss gabe, but the business has to change and evolve. as long as pearce doesnt try to make himself the top heel or anything hes worth getting a shot. and with the return of samoa joe, appearances by nakajima, sasuke and more marufuji ahead, as well as another ppv taping and fb not far off. The table is set, Im ready to see what they do. and Im on the edge of my seat
RoaringElbow

Postby Joku2 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:17 pm

steven keen wrote:good riddance. Never liked this promotion. always TOO serious never made me laugh nor was it ever really fun.

Im excited at the prospect of the Scrap Daddy in charge. hes got a good wrestling mind and i think ROH will benefit from it.

are you kidding me Both ROH and PWG are awesome and both deserve credit for making people stars such as Samoa Joe , Homicide , CM Punk, Chris Hero ,Super Dragon , Matt Sydal , Colt Cabana , The Briscoes, Jay Lethal , Jack Evans ,Jimmy Jacobs , Necro Butcher, Lowki, Austin Aries, Roderick Strong , Davey Richards , El Generico , Kevin Steen, Eric Stevins , Nigel Mcguiness, Chris Sabin , Alex Shelly, Human Tornado, Joey Ryan, Frankie Kazarien, and many more so ok so ROH never made you laugh but ROH & PWG Made these people into stars so you should respect that i do
Joku2

Postby CheMateo » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:51 pm

Joku2 wrote:
steven keen wrote:good riddance. Never liked this promotion. always TOO serious never made me laugh nor was it ever really fun.

are you kidding me Both ROH and PWG are awesome and both deserve credit for making people stars such as Samoa Joe , Homicide , CM Punk, Chris Hero ,Super Dragon , Matt Sydal , Colt Cabana , The Briscoes, Jay Lethal , Jack Evans ,Jimmy Jacobs , Necro Butcher, Lowki, Austin Aries, Roderick Strong , Davey Richards , El Generico , Kevin Steen, Eric Stevins , Nigel Mcguiness, Chris Sabin , Alex Shelly, Human Tornado, Joey Ryan, Frankie Kazarien, and many more so ok so ROH never made you laugh but ROH & PWG Made these people into stars so you should respect that i do
I can't blame steven keen. Don't take it personal, there is more variety in life if someone has a different opinion than you. I haven't really had the urge to buy anything from ROH in a long time. With Pearce taking over I am now willing to give it a shot. This move has certainly piqued my interest.
CheMateo

Return to General Discussion