Brand New To PWG

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Brand New To PWG

Postby boshog99 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:46 am

OK..

I am a long time wrestling fan. I grew up on WWF and NWA and once I discovered ECW in the mid 90's I pretty much let the others go away. I am gettin gback into wrestling after a few years of not watching (ECW being gone) and I have heard good things about PWG. I would like to start going to the shows (I live in Los Angeles) and i'd love to hear more about PWG and the shows, adn kinda where to start.

I am a uge ECW fan, also a fan of kucha libre and Japanese wrestling.

STR
boshog99

Postby WannaB » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:09 pm

Come to the show this Saturday. It's well worth it.

PWG doesn't exhibit a lot of hardcore style matches compared to ECW which you mentioned you were a fan of, though on occassion they will put a good one on. They do however have an incredible mix of japanese technical, lucha, european grappling, etc... styles & everything inbetween. PWG doesn't take itself too seriously so they also have an amusing sense of humor in their shows.

I have never once felt as though I have been robbed of my money. $20 gets you a 4 hour, 1st class show.
WannaB

Postby JustJay » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:21 pm

I've been to a lot of indy shows...including ROH, and some of the UK supershows, and I've never experienced as cool an atmosphere as live PWG. It's hard to describe, but the feeling in the arena is that it's like a "we're all family and let's have fun" kinda place.

If you enjoy lucha, then you'll like PWG, because a lot of the wrestlers in PWG are very lucha-influenced (like El Generico, Zokre, Phoenix Star, Quicksilver just for a few examples) and the product in general is very high-flying.

For on-tape shows...I'd recommend getting a little something from every year...PWG is great in that a lot of the early shows (like An Inch Longer Than Average and Adequately Prepared to Rock) still hold up REALLY well and have some classic stuff in them. Definitely get the show with the Dragon/Joey Guerrilla Warfare match if you like ECW-style wrestling, it's sick.

Recent stuff that's must-see are the Battle of Los Angeles tourney, and the new Astonishing X-Mas show that just got released (SD/Steen Warfare match, also real sick). After School Special is a really slept-on show too.
JustJay

Postby boshog99 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:56 pm

yeah i saw there was a show this saturday and i cannot make it!! damn!!! I want to come to the next show though for sure. I live in Los Feliz so it is right around the corner.

Just FYI, while i enjoy the hardcore stuff now and then, i am relaly a fan of the lucha style and the mat wrestlers ala Guerrero and Malenko. PWG sound sright up my alley. Does anyone know about any upcoming shows after the 18th. I wish I could make it but there is just no way.

I am really excited to find a wrestling promotion right in my backyard!!

STR
boshog99

Postby TigerDriver98 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:12 pm

I took a friend to BOLA Night 2, who was a big ECW fan and who hadn't watched wrestling since ECW died or attended a show since Heat Wave 2000. Wrestling was "dead" according to him, but he was blown away by what he saw. He said "I fully expected it to suck, but it was actually one of the best shows I've ever seen anywhere" So be all means try it, I'm sure you'll feel the exact same way. PWG is the real deal.

Some good shows to start out with are "Battle of Los Angeles", Astonishing X-Mas" and "Chanukah Chaos" It'll give you a good feel for the current product.

boshog99 wrote: Does anyone know about any upcoming shows after the 18th. I wish I could make it but there is just no way.

But of course... PWG runs twice a month so you have plenty of chances to check out a show. Some upcoming dates are:

April 8th and 9th (good first shows to attend, as I'm sure they will be huge)
May 6th
May 20th
June 3rd
June 24th

Attend them all... you won't be dissapointed.
TigerDriver98

Postby boshog99 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:13 pm

i will get some tickets for sure. I can't believe there has been a promotion in Los Feliz of all places and I did not now anything about it. I live her for christs sake.

thanks for the info, and I will definitely check it out.
boshog99

Postby scrub » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:08 pm

How did you stumble upon PWG?
scrub

Postby samoajoe » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:33 pm

you sould also try ROH if your looking for great wrestling. imo and many others they are #1 in usa and PWG right behind them at #2. as for PWG shows you sould get try All Star Weekend Night 1,Astonishing X-Mas,and heres a place you can buy from thats safe http://highspots.com/dvd.asp?id=433
samoajoe

Postby SoCalAndy » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:59 pm

Check out PWG before you check out anything else. PWG has a mix of nearly everything on the indies and seems to be the perfect fit for you. Go to the show Saturday if you can, even if it's a last minute thing. Tickets at the door are easy to get.

I don't recomend buying from Highspots, as their service with me has been really terrible and I have gotten damaged DVDs in the past and bad costumer service. Since you're in LA, buying from PWG. I live in LA and when I order them it takes 1 to 2 days to get my stuff. If you don't want to pay with your credit card, buy the DVDs at shows. Plus the money goes directly to PWG.

If you're starting out, get Battle Of Los Angeles, Astonishing X-Mas, and Are You Adequately Prepared to Rock.
SoCalAndy

Postby samoajoe » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:07 am

i disagree i say order one ROH dvd and one PWG dvd and see what you like better.and if you ever do order one ROH dvd order Steel Cage Warfare its the best show of last year imo
samoajoe

Postby Big Joe » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:30 am

SoCalAndy wrote:Check out PWG before you check out anything else. PWG has a mix of nearly everything on the indies and seems to be the perfect fit for you. Go to the show Saturday if you can, even if it's a last minute thing. Tickets at the door are easy to get.

I don't recomend buying from Highspots, as their service with me has been really terrible and I have gotten damaged DVDs in the past and bad costumer service. Since you're in LA, buying from PWG. I live in LA and when I order them it takes 1 to 2 days to get my stuff. If you don't want to pay with your credit card, buy the DVDs at shows. Plus the money goes directly to PWG.

If you're starting out, get Battle Of Los Angeles, Astonishing X-Mas, and Are You Adequately Prepared to Rock.

Coincidentally enough, I've only had ONE problem with a video company...and that was ROH, post-RF. Every other company I've ordered from has been more than friendly and took care of any problems I had VERY quickly. ROH dealt with me like I was an inconvenience. So fuck that shit. I bleed black and yellow anyway.

If you don't buy BOLA, you're a tool. Once Tango & Cash gets restocked, buy that too. And while you're here, pick up Use Your Illusion 3 & 4.
Big Joe

Postby boshog99 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:16 am

the way I found aout about PWG was that (as I mentioned I am trying to rediscover wrestling in a post ECW world) i was looking on OWW for any local stuff in Souther n California, and low and behold.. Los Feliz/Los Angeles... Can't make the show this weekend, but i will get to the next show for sure.

STR
boshog99

Postby SoCalAndy » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:17 pm

samoajoe wrote:i disagree i say order one ROH dvd and one PWG dvd and see what you like better.and if you ever do order one ROH dvd order Steel Cage Warfare its the best show of last year imo

Dude, go shill ROH elsewhere. The guy was asking about PWG and now you're making it seem like PWG isn't worth checking out compared to ROH.

the way I found aout about PWG was that (as I mentioned I am trying to rediscover wrestling in a post ECW world) i was looking on OWW for any local stuff in Souther n California, and low and behold.. Los Feliz/Los Angeles... Can't make the show this weekend, but i will get to the next show for sure.

http://www.socaluncensored.com

Check out that site. Tons of SoCal info. Although there's nothing really worth going out of your way to check out, PWG is the best in SoCal.
SoCalAndy

Postby dxreydx » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:02 pm

shill ROH, if it wasn't for ROH I would of NEVER went to my first PWG show. I was a ROH fan first and when I found out PWG had ROH workers I had to go and I've been a PWG fan since. This goes the same for many of the TNA fans turned PWG fans and so on and so forth.
dxreydx

Postby boshog99 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:15 pm

the TNA makes me crazy. they have what it takes to really take that company to the next level, but there are so many issues that i dont think they will ever get there.
boshog99

Postby samoajoe » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:21 pm

Andy you are the 1st PWG bot and i never said PWG wasent worth cheacking out so i dont know were you got that from
samoajoe

Postby Big Joe » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:38 pm

At this board, we practice something called "proper grammar". Look into it.
Big Joe

Postby SoCalAndy » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:46 pm

samoajoe wrote:Andy you are the 1st PWG bot

Sweet. Did it take you long to come up with that name?

samoajoe wrote:and i never said PWG wasent worth cheacking out so i dont know were you got that from

I never said you said that PWG wasn't worth checking out, re-read my post several times over until you get it. While you're doing that, you should work on your punctuation.
SoCalAndy

Postby The Masked Akeem » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:12 pm

Big Joe wrote:
"At this board, we practice something called "proper grammar". Look into it."

Proper grammar dictates that the period goes inside the quotation marks.
The Masked Akeem

Postby samoajoe » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:14 pm

Big Joe wrote:At this board, we practice something called "proper grammar". Look into it.
dont need to im a high school drop out and ill be the 1st to say i suck at spelling and grammar thoses 2 were always my wrost subject in school
samoajoe

Next

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum