Upcoming Movies

Everything Else, Except for Advertising. Nobody likes a shill.

Re: Upcoming Movies

Postby CheMateo » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:07 pm

TigerDriver98 wrote:
CheMateo wrote:This morning I heard Ralph Garman mention that a certain TV show that used to star Mr. T is being made into a movie. I wonder how TigerDriver98 will take to this. Yes, The A-Team is getting made into a movie.

Sacrilege. But by now, I am very used to seeing things that I enjoy being remade as things I cannot stand. For example, I hear they are remaking the Warriors...
Oh, no they didn't. I can't dig it. Yeah, I was ranting the other day about them remaking The Taking Of Pelham 1-2-3. Another film where the lead, in this case Walther Matthau, cannot be replaced. Nothing is at all sacred anymore. Just for the sake of trivia, I wonder what was the first major re-make that got studios into tarnishing the memory of fondly remembered original material.
CheMateo

Postby CheMateo » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:23 am

So I hear Zac Efron is set to be Jonny Quest. Dwayne Johnson may be cast as Race Bannon.

GI Joe teaser.

Public Enemies trailer.

Bruno red band trailer.

It's probably old news but I barely found out that Seth Rogen has turned turned the Green Hornet into a comedy. That sucks.

Taking of Pelham 1-2-3 trailer.
CheMateo

Postby WannaB » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:02 am

I've missed this thread.

Few talking points. Linkin Park just revealed that Michael Bay is having them and Hans Zimmer work together on the score for Transformers 2 following the great reception of both the orchestral score from the first movie, and LP's contribution of their single What I've Done to the soundtrack and trailers of the original. They said that Zimmer took one of their songs they recorded for the soundtrack and has turned it into an interesting orchestral piece, and that they'll collaborate further. Thought that was interesting.

Michael Caine has joined Chris Nolan for their 4th film together, Inception, which will be released before the next Batman.

Ridley Scott is getting back into Sci-Fi, adapting the novel The Forever War. It's about a guy who goes off to fight in a war against an alien race, but because of travelling faster than light across the stars he stays young while hundreds and even thousands of years pass by. Essentially by the time he gets to battle he's travelled into the future to fight in a war that may go on forever. The meat of it is supposed to be when he returns to Earth after the war, and deals with being disconnected from the world and how it's changed. Sounds really interesting, and if Blade Runner and Alien are any indication of what Scott can do in Sci-Fi...
WannaB

Postby kenssmith » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:41 pm

I'm bracing myself for GI Joe, just to see how badly they kill my childhood. Also pumped for Transformers 2 and Wolverine, obviously.
kenssmith

Postby atox » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:00 pm

OMG Bruno looks awesome
atox

Postby CheMateo » Fri May 01, 2009 10:07 am

WannaB wrote:Michael Caine has joined Chris Nolan for their 4th film together, Inception, which will be released before the next Batman.
Nolan still hasn't agreed to do the next Batman film, correct? I thought I read somewhere that Bale was a bit nervous since he was contractually obligated to do another but Nolan was not. And Bale was really hoping that Nolan would come back to the fold for one more.

Ridley Scott is getting back into Sci-Fi, adapting the novel The Forever War. It's about a guy who goes off to fight in a war against an alien race, but because of travelling faster than light across the stars he stays young while hundreds and even thousands of years pass by. Essentially by the time he gets to battle he's travelled into the future to fight in a war that may go on forever. The meat of it is supposed to be when he returns to Earth after the war, and deals with being disconnected from the world and how it's changed. Sounds really interesting, and if Blade Runner and Alien are any indication of what Scott can do in Sci-Fi...
Now that sounds interesting. I hope it turns out okay as I haven't really liked most of Scott's work from this decade. WannaB, did you like Gladiator?

I thought it was interesting that Oliver Stone and Michael Douglas are re-uniting to make a sequel to Wall Street. I think Gordon Gekko is one of Michael's best pieces of work. I always felt that Douglas was best at portraying cold, greedy and ruthless type characters.
CheMateo

Postby CheMateo » Fri May 01, 2009 1:00 pm

The official GI Joe trailer. The teaser looked bad, now I'm sure this is going to be a huge disappointment.

Little Ashes. It's about the surrealist artist Salvador Dali. It opens in limited release on May 8th. I kind of want to see it even though it looks a bit hokey and I'm not entirely sold on the new "it" guy, Pattinson, as Dali. The few reviews I glanced at however have been positive.

Let's take a look at some of the other summer blockbusters.

The new Harry Potter film, the Half Blood Prince.

Transformers 2. Is there anyone else that is not interested in seeing this?

Angels & Demons.

Terminator: Salvation. I was surprised to find out that it's rated PG-13. Was this done simply to attract a larger audience?

(Not your father's) Star Trek.
CheMateo

Postby WannaB » Fri May 01, 2009 8:53 pm

CheMateo wrote:Nolan still hasn't agreed to do the next Batman film, correct? I thought I read somewhere that Bale was a bit nervous since he was contractually obligated to do another but Nolan was not. And Bale was really hoping that Nolan would come back to the fold for one more.

Correct in that he is not signed on for a 3rd, but every indication he has ever given about his attachment to the franchise indicates he will do a 3rd. In fact when Begins was being written, Nolan along with Goyer were also creating a rough outline of where they wanted to take the franchise over the course of a trilogy. Themes, developments, possible characters. Everything mentioned on the subject suggested it was a very vague outline, but it is the biggest indicator that Nolan has had plans for the 3rd film for a long time.

Now that sounds interesting. I hope it turns out okay as I haven't really liked most of Scott's work from this decade. WannaB, did you like Gladiator?

I liked Gladiator, but thought it was slightly overrated, and I do believe that it ranks somewhere above the middle of his body of work. I did enjoy Black Hawk Down very much. I was a bit underwhelmed by Hannibal, but perhaps because it made a better read than it did a film. While I am a huge Julianne Moore fan, I suppose it was just to hard to live up to Silence of the Lambs. Kingdom of Heaven, American Gangster, and Matchstick Men were all enjoyable movies, but seem marginal in contrast to some of his other efforts.

One thing that irritates me about Gladiator & Kingdom, being a history major, is that both were very bad history. Kingdom I was a little bit more okay with, even though certain relationships were completely ass-backwards. Balian for example was not Godfrey's son in real life, but the two were actually rivals and despised each other. And when surrendering the city, Balian was far more threatening. In the film he told Saladin (in a line that seemed downplayed compared to the rest of the dialogue in the scene) that if he tried to take the city he would destroy all the Muslims relics, shrines, mosques, etc..., but in real life he threatened to do that AND to murder every muslim man, woman, and child in the city. I think they tried to make Balian into more of a noble individual than he really was.
WannaB

Postby WannaB » Fri May 01, 2009 8:54 pm

^^^Arghhh! Missed a quote box.
WannaB

Postby CheMateo » Thu May 07, 2009 9:15 am

WannaB wrote:I liked Gladiator, but thought it was slightly overrated
Finally, I've come across someone who thought it was overrated. Although I suspect you probably enjoyed Gladiator more than I did. I actually fell asleep in the theater the first time I saw Gladiator. I am interested in seeing Scott's new production of Robin Hood.

Edge of Darkness has been given a release date of January 29, 2010. It stars Mel Gibson and Ray Winstone. Originally De Niro was set to co-star with Gibson in the role Winstone is playing now, but he was replaced due to "creative differences." Martin Campbell is directing and I hope he does an okay job because outside of his two Bond entries I think his work is horrible. Quick IMDB synopsis:As homicide detective Thomas Craven investigates the death of his activist daughter, he uncovers not only her secret life, but a corporate cover-up and government collusion that attracts an agent tasked with cleaning up the evidence.

Speaking of Martin Campbell, he is also directing the Green Lantern movie. The release date for GL has been pushed back six months to June 17, 2011. That is partially due to the fact that no one has been cast as GL yet.

I also hear that there is plans to release a third Harold & Kumar movie in late 2010. "A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas." That kind of surprised me since I knew Kal Penn was planning on taking time off from acting to work with Obama administration.

Did anyone see the new Wolverine movie? I still want to give it a go around but from I keep hearing it sounds like Marvel just rushed this one out and skimped on the substance.
CheMateo

Postby kenssmith » Sun May 10, 2009 5:58 pm

Wolverine was pretty good. Better than the X-Men trilogy movies. Wasn't the best comic book movie ever, but it was good for what it was.

I also recommend Star Trek. I had never seen a minute of Star Trek on television until last night at the theater, but I'd go watch it multiple times.
kenssmith

Postby CheMateo » Fri May 15, 2009 1:50 pm

kenssmith wrote:Wolverine was pretty good. Better than the X-Men trilogy movies. Wasn't the best comic book movie ever, but it was good for what it was.

I also recommend Star Trek. I had never seen a minute of Star Trek on television until last night at the theater, but I'd go watch it multiple times.
I was disappointed with the Wolverine movie. I wouldn't say it was better than X-1 or X-2, as I liked those two. It was better than X-3 but that's not really saying a whole lot. I noticed that X-3 and Wolverine were both produced by Jackman's production company. Maybe that is part of the problem.

There was way too much CGI and it was poorly done. It's liked they took half a step backwards after the X-Men trilogy.

Liev Schreiber was awesome as Sabertooth. I look forward to seeing him continue as Tooth.

As for the post-credits ending, I got the one with Wolverine in Japan, drinking sake at a bar. So I'm assuming this will lead to Mariko and Silver Samurai. Maybe. One day I'd like to see Omega Red brought to the cinematic mythos.
CheMateo

Postby kenssmith » Fri May 15, 2009 6:21 pm

My showing had the Deadpool 'secret' ending. I agree with your assessment of Wolverine. I wasn't blown away, but I didn't feel like I was ripped off or anything. I'm just not a huge Marvel fan outside of a few storylines like Civil War and etc. I'm more of a DC guy.
kenssmith

Postby TigerDriver98 » Sun May 24, 2009 10:57 am

So what did everyone think of Terminator: Salvation? Is it worth seeing? How does it compare to the last three movies?
TigerDriver98

Postby kenssmith » Sun May 24, 2009 11:26 am

Took a whle to build to the good stuff. But it was better than the third, maybe even the first. T2's my favorite out of them all, so it'd be hard to touch it. Definitely worth a watch
kenssmith

Postby OSKMIA » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:08 am

Now here's a movie I am actually looking foward to see, the remake of The Stepfather.
OSKMIA

Postby WannaB » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:44 am

TigerDriver98 wrote:So what did everyone think of Terminator: Salvation? Is it worth seeing? How does it compare to the last three movies?

The action set pieces got progressively smaller, in terms of explosions and shit getting blown up and shot at, as the film progressed. The story was well done, although the ending felt cliche in a sense, but acceptable. Bale as Connor was a great choice. Worthington as Marcus Wright was very good. I can't wait to see Worthington's work in James Cameron's Avatar. Moon Bloodgood...hot, and she did a good job. She makes a nice new addition to the Terminator universe. Bryce Dallas Howard is worlds better than Claire Danes as Connor's wife. Common was the most useless character. Let's waste a crap load of money on musician to play an ancillary role, when we could've had a cheaper, and better character actor play the role...I'm sure that's what the casting directors thought to themselves. Michael Ironside was okay in his small role, but like Common he could've been played by someone who didn't elicit visions of other sci-fi universes like SeaQuest, Starship Troopers, Heavy Metal, Command & Conquer, Highlander, etc... lol Plus there were a number of scenes that were deleted which. For example the scene from the trailer of the T1 that pops out of the water behind Connor, or the Bloodgood nude scene (but this is understandable as a matter of taste), etc...

Overall I'd agree that it is worlds better than the 3rd film, but probably on par with the 1st film at best. I think McG could've done better, but I do appreciate what he was able to do, and all of the little details he added that referrenced or honored the original films. For example in the first film when Michael Biehn's Kyle Reese ties a leather string to his shotgun to help hold on to it...we see in the film where Kyle Reese first learned to do this. It was a fair attempt at a beloved franchise, and I can honestly believe that McG will only improve with the 2nd and 3rd films planned for this trilogy.
WannaB

Postby CheMateo » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:05 am

I was disappointed to hear that Sean Penn has dropped out of the upcoming Three Stooges movie. Penn seemed like the ideal choice for Larry right off the bat. All I would do is think of his role as Kleinfeld the lawyer from Carlito's Way.

Larry Fine, ladies and gentleman!

Jim Carey as Curly and Benicio Del Toro as Moe still seem odd to me. Rumors are going around that Paul Giamatti might replace Penn. Although Giamatti has denied that he is joining the cast.

I've also been reading rumors that the next Batman film may be four years away. Damn, that's a long time.

I had some other points I wanted to bring up but I can't remember them right now.
CheMateo

Postby CheMateo » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:48 pm

One of the points that I wanted to bring up but forgot was a new production of the Crow.

Stephen Norrington, director of Blade & League of Extraordinary Gentleman, has been working on remaking The Crow. It will apparently be different from the original. The character of Eric Draven will not be revisited. It will apparently be a new story with a new protagonist. Norrington has stated, "Whereas Proyas
CheMateo

Postby CheMateo » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:34 pm

So I hear the Bryan Singer has been tapped to direct a cinematic presentation of Battlestar Galactica. WannaB, you are the expert in these parts on all things related to Battlestar. How do you feel about this project?

Capitalism: A Love Story

Teaser trailer for Inception.

The Road.

Brothers. I cannot take Tobey seriously as a dangerous individual.

The Informant.
CheMateo

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion