UFC 100

Everything Else, Except for Advertising. Nobody likes a shill.

UFC 100

Postby CheMateo » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:38 pm

Tonight is a historic landmark for UFC. They're running their 100th show on PPV. Well, technically it's their 133rd show. The show is stacked.

- Michael Bisping vs. Dan Henderson. The winner will likely become the number one contender in the middleweight division.

- Welterweight Champion Georges St. Pierre vs. Thiago Alves. I'm going to go with St. Pierre.

- UFC Heavyweight Champion Brock Lesnar vs. Interim Champion Frank Mir. Now this is the match that I really want to see. It's a title unification match. Lesnar beat Randy Couture for the title in Couture's first match back in the UFC. However during Couture's absence, before his fight with Lesnar, the UFC created an interm-Heavyweight title. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira won the title by beating Tim Sylvia. Nogueira would end up losing the title to Mir, in what some considered an upset. Now it's champion vs. champion.

Brock and Mir faced before in Lesnar's first UFC fight. Lesnar came out strong and seemed to have Mir beat with some powerful blows. But Lesnar got himself easily locked in a knee bar and tapped out. This bout has an extra bit of pride on the line. Lesnar wants to avenge his loss and prove that he has improved as an all around fighter. Mir of course wants to be able to prove that his first victory was no fluke. It should be an interesting fight. I was hoping to see this at a friend's house but some other matters are precluding me from doing so. I'll probably try and catch the match on youtube later tonight.

Anyone else checking out the fight?
CheMateo

Re: UFC 100

Postby Zwarrior2 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:39 pm

Won me some money thanks to Brock, GSP humbled another man and Hendo ended Bisping's life with that horrifying KO. Here are the full results...

Preliminary card
Lightweight bout: Matt Grice vs. Shannon Gugerty
- Gugerty defeated Grice via submission (guillotine choke) at 2:36 of round 1.
Middleweight bout: C.B. Dollaway vs. Tom Lawlor
- Lawlor defeated Dollaway via submission (guillotine choke) at 0:55 of round 1.
Welterweight bout: Dong Hyun Kim vs. TJ Grant
- Kim defeated Grant via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-26).
Light Heavyweight bout: Jon Jones vs. Jake O'Brien
- Jones defeated O'Brien via submission (guillotine choke) at 2:43 of round 2.
Lightweight bout: Mac Danzig vs. Jim Miller
- Miller defeated Danzig via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27).
Light Heavyweight bout: Mark Coleman vs. Stephan Bonnar
- Coleman defeated Bonnar via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28).

Main card
Middleweight bout: Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Alan Belcher
- Akiyama defeated Belcher via split decision (30-27, 28-29, 29-28).
Middleweight bout: Dan Henderson vs. Michael Bisping
- Henderson defeated Bisping via KO (punch) at 3:20 of round 2.
Welterweight Championship bout: Georges St-Pierre vs. Thiago Alves
- St-Pierre defeated Alves via unanimous decision (50-45, 50-44, 50-45) to retain the UFC Welterweight championship.
Heavyweight Championship unification bout: Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir
- Lesnar defeated Mir via KO (punches) at 1:48 of round 2 to become the undisputed UFC Heavyweight champion.
Welterweight bout: Jon Fitch vs. Paulo Thiago
- Fitch defeated Thiago via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28).
Zwarrior2

Postby GravityMan » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:05 pm

I love how everyone hates Lesnar after what he said to Mir after the fight, but if they in Lesnar's place and had Mir calling them a fucking loser and a fake wrestler in general they probably have done the same thing. That post fight interview that Lesnar did was pure fucking gold.

I wish UFC did huge entrances if only for an over the top Akiyama entrance. And for those who said Belcher was robbed, all he did was leg kicks 75% of the time and didn't do nothing on the ground.

I had hope for Bisping to upset Hendo but when I saw that he was lean and had a pencil neck, he was going down. Hendo killing Bisping with that right was hands down the Knockout of the Year.

GSP was GSP, and when he is like that he is damn near unstoppable.

Overall it was definitely worth the $25 I paid (My friend paid the other half.)
GravityMan

Postby GravityMan » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:12 pm

Spoiler: show

WAR HENDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GravityMan

Postby CheMateo » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:37 am

I couldn't wait to see if Brock won or not. I asked a friend how Brock did. He told me that Brock "ground and pounded him like a high school bully." That got me excited. I couldn't wait to get him and check it out. Brock certainly approached this match differently. He was more cautious and he started destroying Mir's face toward the end of the first round. Then in the second round, Brock certainly bludgeoned Mir's face with those lunch pale blows.

I'm happy that "fake wrestler" won and is now the undisputed champion. Take that naysayers! Brock let his actions speak for himself and when it was time to speak to Rogan I saw no problems with his comments. That's what Mir gets for mouthing off so much before the fight.
CheMateo

Postby KickToKill » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:48 pm

hell yeah I loved Brock's post fight comments. Flipping off the MMA marks was pretty sweet too
KickToKill

Postby kenssmith » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:37 pm

Saw the fights this morning online. Lesnar did nothing but pound Mir's face in for about seven minutes. I'd been done after the first round if I was Mir.

Getting to watch Dan Henderson ending a man's life right in front of your eyes is an incredible thing to see.
kenssmith

Postby KickToKill » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:06 pm

Chalk, talk one up for pro wrestling as Lesnar tops UFC field
BY JIM VARSALLONE
jvarsallone@MiamiHerald.com
So this former pro wrestler is the baddest man on the planet. No script needed. This is the real thing, the next big thing, the now big thing.

Former World Wrestling Entertainment champ Brock Lesnar made all the MMA disbelievers including his opponent Frank Mir eat their words on Saturday, July 11 in Las Vegas.

Lesnar avenged his only MMA loss by destroying Mir, one of the best in the business.

Pro wrestling/sports entertainment uses a script, and the results are pre-determined, but make no mistake about it, pro wrestlers are athletes.

In high school and college, they've competed in baseball, basketball, bodybuilding, football, hockey, lacrosse, softball, weightlifting, amateur wrestling and more. Even a few Olympians like Kurt Angle, Mark Henry, Ken Patera and The Iron Sheik turned to pro wrestling.

But it took Lesnar to open the eyes of the sports' world.

This former amateur wrestling standout from Minnesota is the man. A strong freak of nature, he took the negative and sarcastic comments of the elitists in MMA and its sports' fans -- who are ignorant to the athletic background of pro wrestlers and the conditioning and athleticism it takes to participate in pro wrestling -- and stuffed every word down their throats.

It was unprofessional, but I can understand Lesnar firing off after the big win. For the good of UFC and Mr. Dana White, Lesnar apologized for his attitude and lack of sportsmanship following his victory, but MMA fighters, fans, media and naysayers should also be apologizing to Lesnar and pro wrestlers, period.

Pro athletes from other sports know.

Not only are they fans of pro wrestling/sports entertainment -- like Wade Boggs, Johnny Damon, Darin Erstad, A.J. Pierzynski, C.C. Sabathia, Shaq, Kimbo Slice, Alfonso Soriano, Jason Taylor, Zach Thomas and Frank Wychek to name some -- but a few from other pro sports worlds tried it like Karl Malone, Dennis Rodman and Lawrence Taylor. They agreed just how tough it is to be a pro wrestler.

With Lesnar leading the charge, pro wrestling is a sport, and like other sports, it is entertainment. For sure, others who follow him into MMA now will be watched differently.

MMA competitors, fans, media and naysayers will think twice before knocking the athlete because he comes from the scripted world of pro wrestling.

Inspiring others from his world, Lesnar proved to be no fluke.

Watching inside the Mandaley Bay on Saturday, another man who made a mark in professional wrestling and is a powerhouse with an stellar amateur wrestling background.

Be ready MMA world for Bobby Lashley.

Another former WWE guy in MMA?

Anyone laughing now?
KickToKill

Postby kenssmith » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:12 pm

Don't forget the day when broken down Kurt Angle gets in the octagon.

:roll:
kenssmith

Postby Kaijin » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:42 am

i loved brock's heel promo, you could see $$$$$ signs in Dana White's eyes as brock was ripping into mir after the fight.
Kaijin

Postby er0k » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:46 am

Lesnar is the UFC heavyweight CHUMP!!! I would of backed him up all the way if he wouldnt have gotten a title shot with a 1w1l in his UFC record. Dana is going to make UFC look like WWE with that bs he pulled!! i love lesnar as a wrestler and when he first entered MMA in japan i was backing him up till his title shot bs!! I would love to have Fedor come in and demolish him, but Fedor will not sign with UFC and he just wants a one fight deal. So for him to make lesnar look like his bitch after the fight would make Zuffa's precious Heavyweight title a joke!!
er0k

Postby er0k » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:47 am

I hope Cane Velasquez is next in line. He looked amazing after his chek congo fight!!
er0k

Return to General Discussion