Chanukah Chaos and Astonishing X-Mas DVD Thoughts

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Chanukah Chaos and Astonishing X-Mas DVD Thoughts

Postby SoCalAndy » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:54 am

So far I've watched all of Chanukah Chaos and parts of Astonishing X-Mas, and I'm enjoying the DVDs so far. If you don't want to be spoiled, stop reading.

Chanukah Chaos:

-The promos on this had to be the gayest block of promos ever. Not because of the quality of the promos, but because it had a near naked Joey Ryan and Chris Sabin talking about taking a shit.

-Kevin Steen vs. Joey Ryan was a really good match! The arm work was good, and Joey's heel stuff was awesome. I thought it was the third best match of the show, and the anticipation of Joey winning the belt from the crowd came off really well. The start of the Steen/Dragon build up to the Guerrilla Warfare match was neat too.

-The six man tag was a lot of fun. It wasn't as fun live for me, but on DVD is was better, mostly because I saw the spots this time. Koslov really shined in this match, and Generico was pretty great as always.

-The tag titles match was also much better on DVD than it was live. I like watching Dragon and Davey kill their opponents. Disco and Excalibur deserve a lot of credit for taking this punishment. I kinda liked it more than their ASW 2 match. Excalibur's reactions to Disco's actions were hilarious.

-The brawl between Steen and Dragon after came off great, and Steen's promo on the extras to build it up worked really well. The parts with Dragon throwing cans at Steen while he was in the ring was nice. The Guerrilla Warfare match build up couldn't have been any better.

-The main event was awesome. Sky and Scott where out of their element, but they worked so well in a hardcore match. Some people complained about the booking of Sky's comeback, but I thought it was done well and helped give Sky's win over Scott more importance. Very smartly worked(I don't think that makes sense) hardcore match.

Astonishing X-Mas:
-I've watched the Shelley/Lost match, and it was really good. Scott getting thrown in Alex's snot was a great comedy spot. I want to see more Alex Shelley matches in PWG, as his matches have been really great and this is a perfect example and a great showcase of what he can do.

-Ok, now I know everyone though Kanyon/Joey sucked. I did too. However, after watching it on DVD it was a lot better. No, seriously. There was some fun stuff. Joey worked well as a heel and did well with an injured shoulder, but Kanyon could of done a better job playing to the crowd. The Mortis run in could of been better. The best part of this match was when Joey threw Kanyon into this fat guy and the fat guy fell off his chair. And TARO's rant about golf is great.

-The Dragon/Steen match was awesome on DVD. I only saw half the spots live, so this was great to watch on DVD. It's amazing how these guys took so much punishment from eachother and were able to go on and continue their match. It's also amazing how they aren't dead, especially Steen who took a brutal beating. Great match, get the DVD for this.

If you haven't gotten these DVDs yet, well, get them now! They're worth the price.
SoCalAndy

Postby samoajoe » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:11 am

well ive only watched Kevin Steen vs Super Dragon on the Astonishing X-Mas dvd ill watch the rest tonight but i will agree with you it was a great match it gets 4 stars from me i dident like some of the camra work for some of the spots like the chair stomp but it dident hurt the match to much
samoajoe

Re: Chanukah Chaos and Astonishing X-Mas DVD Thoughts

Postby scrub » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:34 am

SoCalAndy wrote:-Ok, now I know everyone though Kanyon/Joey sucked. I did too. However, after watching it on DVD it was a lot better. No, seriously. There was some fun stuff. Joey worked well as a heel and did well with an injured shoulder, but Kanyon could of done a better job playing to the crowd. The Mortis run in could of been better. The best part of this match was when Joey threw Kanyon into this fat guy and the fat guy fell off his chair. And TARO's rant about golf is great.

PURPLE MORTIS!!!!

I hope the commentary saves the match.

I can't wait to see SD/Steen Guerrilla Warfare on DVD. Should be "wacky" to say the least.
scrub

Postby SoCalAndy » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:03 pm

I hope the commentary saves the match.

I watched it without commentary and it's still a good match. It's not on par with the other matches in terms of quality, but it's still fine.

And this morning I watched the GenNext/Skinny Black Guys match. I liked the match, the spots were really cool, but it wasn't as great as some people made it out to be. I remember reading someone giving this match like four stars, and I have to disagree big time and I'm not a big fan of star ratings.
SoCalAndy

Postby MrPWG » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:22 pm

Is Bosh's promo on Tard Boy on there?
MrPWG

Postby SoCalAndy » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:16 pm

No, shut up.
SoCalAndy

Postby astro_zombie » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:34 pm

MrPWG wrote:Is Bosh's promo on Tard Boy on there?

i hope you die.
astro_zombie

Postby El Asian » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:49 pm

how does Joe vs. Richards come off on DVD anyways?
El Asian

Postby It's A Bomb » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:35 am

Bro, it's not really cool to cut on your belt homies who are in your Top 8 like that bro, that's cold. You going to start making fun of you Jeff Hardy fan friend too? Bros Before Hoes My Boo.

The Richards/Joe match was alright. It was your typical "Joe smash, Joe bash, you get offense and Joe sell for you and then Joe do Muscle Buster for win" type match. I didn't like the eight man, too many predictable spots. The eight man from BOLA was worlds better than this. The camera work during the Guerrilla Warfare match was nice. It was like watching a legit fight on the street with some random guy there with a camera, only the camera quality is awesome.
It's A Bomb

Postby astro_zombie » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:17 am

It's A Bomb wrote:

Bro, it's not really cool to cut on your belt homies who are in your Top 8 like that bro, that's cold. You going to start making fun of you Jeff Hardy fan friend too? Bros Before Hoes My Boo.

The Richards/Joe match was alright. It was your typical "Joe smash, Joe bash, you get offense and Joe sell for you and then Joe do Muscle Buster for win" type match.

:lol:
astro_zombie

Postby dxreydx » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:35 pm

I don't buy many dvds, but this one is a must buy.
dxreydx

Postby scrub » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:53 pm

dxreydx wrote:I don't buy many dvds, but this one is a must buy.

Exactly. You'd be silly to pass up on "Astonishing."
scrub

Postby WrestlingFanMatt » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:58 pm

So did anyone else find Joey's promo from Chanuka DISTRUBING?!
WrestlingFanMatt

Postby Big Joe » Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:16 pm

Yes, yes indeed. Horrifying.
Big Joe

Postby Matt Flash » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:34 am

I just got Astonishing XMas on Saturday, and I was really impressed how most of it stacked up against being there live.

Lost/Shelley was really good for a PWG opener, as they're normally just thrown together tag matches. So this was a great treat.

Nemesis/Ronin vs. Topgun/Quick was good fun but not too much else.

Cabana/Sky was just weird. Either I'm completely blind or I just cannot see where Sky hurts his knee. Good comedy at the start, though.

GenNext vs. 2 SBD was craziness. It was all spots, but not every match has to be drenched in psychology. If they were, they'd be way less appreciated.

Joey vs. Kanyon was better than I expected but not really good or anything. Kanyon had no chance of winning due to it being a one shot appearance and all. Good buildup to the Kanyon Cutter but he cost himself the match by asking the crowd if they wanted one more.

Davey vs. Joe was a letdown, but not for quality. More for it being such a weirdly booked match. Joe, for all intents and purposes, squashed the hell out of Davey. And I'm a huge Davey fan so watching it live pissed me off pretty bad, and it felt way too short. But watching it on DVD actually helped my enjoyment. Gotta love Davey's intensity and firing up even when he's getting his ass kicked.

8man was fun but it wasn't meant to be anything special, as it was more of a break for the crowd so they could be charged up for the Main. The chain of Hiptosses was hilarious, as was the dancing by the heels.

Main Event was one of the craziest matches I've ever seen, let alone live. And Steen's promo in the extras was one of his best to me. Wasn't long, didn't need to be. Got his point across and did it perfectly in my eyes. I just hope they don't do another one of these for a really long time so it means something the next time as much as this one did.

And in an off-topic, what's everyone's idea about who/when Joey's FINALLY gonna lose and get what's comin' to him?
Matt Flash

Postby astro_zombie » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:48 pm

WrestlingFanMatt wrote:So did anyone else find Joey's promo from Chanuka DISTRUBING?!

i kinda feel bad for whoever has to touch the belt from now on. they now must endure joey ryan's cock-sweat. gross. :?
astro_zombie

Postby JustJay » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:15 pm

astro_zombie wrote:
WrestlingFanMatt wrote:So did anyone else find Joey's promo from Chanuka DISTRUBING?!

i kinda feel bad for whoever has to touch the belt from now on. they now must endure joey ryan's cock-sweat. gross. :?

Maybe they got a new belt BECAUSE no one wanted to touch that one anymore :lol:
JustJay

Postby MrPWG » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:42 pm

It's A Bomb wrote:

I'm not trying to "Cut on my homies" I'm trying to find out the answer to an entertaining segment...If I asked the people on the boards if Bosh's Promo on Mike Caldwell was on there do you think people would know who I was talking about...Proabably not...You all gave him the name Tard Boy...I was just using a reference that the masses would know...
MrPWG

Postby Big Joe » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:22 am

Go fall off a cliff.
Big Joe

Postby Paul Burns » Fri May 12, 2006 11:42 am

Good write up thanks. Astonishing Xmas looks like a boner-stacked card, I've gotta get this (But I also need to get that highspots deal....oh the tough decisions in life!)

Question, do you guys say that kinda shit to MrPWG when he's in person at PWG shows? Or is it restricted to the internet?

Also, MrPWG, do you bring that belt with you to live events?
Paul Burns

Next

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum