2009 Battle of Los Angeles - Nov 20 & 21!

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Re: 2009 Battle of Los Angeles - Nov 20 & 21! Tickets On Sale!

Postby npdavis » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:42 pm

Nevermind, it does appear that there is a DDT show on 11/22.
npdavis

Postby CheMateo » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:51 pm

OSKMIA wrote:Didn't Masada wrestle for ROH a looooong time ago? If it is the same guy, then yes I fully want him in PWG. I remember I showed my cousins one of his matches from Defying Gravity: the Best of Jack Evans, me trying to show them Jack, and all they kept talking about was Masada. :lol:
Yes, that's the same guy!

El Asian wrote:
krayzie Bone wrote:Masada is a good wrestler but I dont trust him. He was booked for IWA Deep South Carnage Cup this year and totally no showed, only 8 guys were booked for the tornament, so when a major name like Masada does a no show it really effects the entire show. Thank God for Thumbtack Jack he saved the day.

yeah, he no showed one fed and its in Alabama of all places plus he manage to show up working for Mr. California of all people
Exactly. So MASADA didn't appear at one show in the boonies. There may have been a legitimate reason. But if MASADA will actually appear and wrestle while in great pain for a fly-by-night promotion, then it stands to reason that he would definitely appear for the prestigious PWG.

npdavis wrote:...

We're talking about Kota Ibushi right?
Yes. Ibushi needs to make his West Coast debut that didn't happen awhile ago. It'd be lovely to see a golden shower in person one day.
CheMateo

2009 Battle of Los Angeles - Nov 20 & 21! Tickets On Sale!

Postby PWG_Silverback » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:28 am

On the official mini-site for Pro Wrestling Guerrilla's 2009 Battle of Los Angeles, the final competitor in this year's tournament has been announced! Now, the focus turns to the 2009 Battle of Los Angeles First Round Matches, which will be revealed over the coming weeks starting this Wednesday, November 4!

For those wondering about the status of Chris Hero, as a former Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Champion he would normally be entitled to a rematch with the individual that defeated him for the title, in this case, "American Dragon" Bryan Danielson. With the special circumstances surrounding Bryan Danielson's departure from Pro Wrestling Guerrilla, Chris Hero has been granted a future title match with the next Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Champion. Rather than gamble with his rematch clause by entering the 2009 Battle of Los Angeles, where he would have to win four matches in order to reclaim the Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Championship, Chris Hero has opted out of the tournament and to take his chances in a single match with the new World Champion in 2010.

Tickets for this year's two-day tournament event are on sale at the 2009 Battle of Los Angeles mini-site. Tickets for Night One, Night Two, and Two-Night Passes are all available for purchase at the tournament mini-site. Be sure to order your tickets now in order to guarantee yourself a seat for the annual spectacular known as the Battle of Los Angeles!

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla's 2009 Battle of Los Angeles - Night One takes place Friday, November 20, 2009, at 8:00 PM at American Legion Post #308 in Reseda, CA. Pro Wrestling Guerrilla's 2009 Battle of Los Angeles - Night Two takes place Saturday, November 21, 2009, at 8:00 PM at American Legion Post #308 in Reseda, CA. Front Row tickets are $30 per night, and General Admission tickets are $25 per night. Front Row and General Admission Two-Night Passes may be purchased for only $50 (Front Row) and $40 (General Admission).

American Legion Post #308 is located at 7338 Canby Ave., Reseda, CA 91335. Online tickets orders are available through the 2009 Battle of Los Angeles mini-site, and are subject to the PayPal Service Charge (2.9% + $0.30). Tickets purchased in advance allow for priority admittance to the venue, along with guaranteed event seating. Online tickets sales for this event will end on November 17, 2009 at 11:59PM. Any remaining tickets will be available for purchase at the door. Video recording devices are not permitted. Card subject to change.
PWG_Silverback
Site Admin

Postby MatRykiel » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:56 am

Since neither Hero or Davey is in BOLA I think my pick is goin with Roderick Strong.I would love for Shelley or Sabin to win it but I got to be realistic.
MatRykiel

Postby CheMateo » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:58 am

Too bad Hero could not be a part of the tournament but he'll still get his title shot eventually. I'm so glad Shelley is in the tournament. I got my top three picks so I'm happy. I'm going to pick Kendrick for the win.
CheMateo

Postby onlxn » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:57 am

Well, that works. Glad to see Shelley involved.

My revised bracket:

Round One
Kenny Omega b. Joey Ryan
Austin Aries b. LTP
Roderick Strong b. Colt Cabana
Kevin Steen b. Brandon Gatson
Scott Lost b. Chris Sabin
Brian Kendrick b. Alex Shelley
Generico/Tornado b. The Young Bucks

Second Round
Kenny Omega b. Austin Aries
Kevin Steen b. Roderick Strong
Bryan Kendrick b. Scott Lost
El Generico b. Human Tornado

Semi-Finals
Kenny Omega b. Kevin Steen
Brian Kendrick b. El Generico

Eight-Man Tag
Colt Cabana/MCMGs/LTP b. Joey/Young Bucks/Brandon Gatson

Finals
Brian Kendrick b. Kenny Omega

...with Hero looming as Spanky's first challenger.
onlxn

Postby Matt Flash » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:47 pm

Shelley and Sabin will be great for match quality, but there's just no way they win, so I'm conflicted on them being involved. Hopefully I'm wrong though and their matches will still have some drama to the finishes.

Opening Round
Brandon Gatson def. Joey Ryan
Roderick Strong def. Chris Sabin
Kevin Steen def. LTP
Kenny Omega def. Austin Aries
Scott Lost def. Matt Jackson
Nick Jackson def. Human Tornado
Brian Kendrick def. Alex Shelley
El Generico def. Colt Cabana

Quarter Finals
Roderick Strong def. Brandon Gatson
Kenny Omega def. Kevin Steen
Scott Lost def. Nick Jackson
Brian Kendrick def. El Generico

Semi Finals
Roderick Strong def. Kenny Omega
Brian Kendrick def. Scott Lost

Finals
Roderick Strong def. Brian Kendrick to become the PWG World Champion and 2009 BOLA Winner

Crazy 8-man
Joey Ryan, Chris Sabin, Matt Jackson and Austin Aries vs. Alex Shelley, LTP, Colt Cabana and Human Tornado

Yeah, Sabin and Shelley on different teams. It's not a straight up 2 on 2 tag match, so why not try and use them a little differently? MCMG vs. Tornado/LTP vs. Aries/Ryan vs. Cabana/Jackson would have a neat atmosphere to it, too, with Jackson HATING having to team with Cabana, who is just being the most terrible tag partner ever (Kind've akin to him and Steen teaming at the '06 TPI where they couldn't stand being tagged up)

I think Lost going up against the unholy trio of the Young Bucks and Kendrick will cement him as a face, while not giving him EVERYTHING at once. This way he can still build up to getting a win over Kendrick and having that be another huge point in his ascension up the ranks to the PWG Title.

Logic would dictate Kendrick winning the rematch between himself and Strong, but I think that would just make the nearfalls he gets even hotter as everyone would assume he'd win. Kendrick does not need the Title to be PWG's "mainstream" draw. And I personally think Strong deserves the Title after being the go to guy for tournaments outside of his 2008 BOLA against Low Ki. And not just tournaments, but overall quality. If Strong is on a PWG card, you know he's going to bring 100% and then some.

Gatson getting the shocker of a win works, because he is REALLY catching on after the 4-way performance at Against The Grain, and I think it would do a lot for future booking if he could get an upset win like that over Ryan. Then it sets up a future match where if they want, Ryan can get the win back and still make Gatson look good.

Shelley and Sabin both have the featured matchups on Night 1, as they should, because they're featured wrestlers whenever they come to PWG. This would be no different.

Not that I think it'll look anything like this, but it''d be a really fun weekend and do the BOLA name proud.
Matt Flash

Postby CrOwNMeKiNG23 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:52 pm

Can someone please explain to me how Brian Kendrick is all of a sudden the front runner to win bola or atleast end up in the finals? the guy has been back in PWG since Speed of Sound, how the fuck does he deserve to even be in the finals much less win the whole damn thing? when he was on the independent circuit he was just another guy but now since he spent time in WWE it means he's big shit all of a sudden and automatically deserves to be champion?...bullshit.
CrOwNMeKiNG23

Postby The Six » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:12 pm

I certainly don't see Kendrick going in as a huge heel. Nobody seems to want to dislike Spanky, he's just too cool. He could earn the title just from his awesome strut to the ring.

As for Omega, he couldn't win the tag titles, so I don't see why he would make the finals of BOLA. Guy's kind of a dweeb, too.

A month ago I predicted Strong to win. Lost has been pretty solid lately, so it looks like that could be the finals matchup. Heck, Lost might win it.

And I express my sincere gratitude to the board of directors for leaving Hero out of this. Thank you!
The Six

Postby CheMateo » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:53 pm

The Six wrote:I certainly don't see Kendrick going in as a huge heel. Nobody seems to want to dislike Spanky, he's just too cool. He could earn the title just from his awesome strut to the ring.
Absolutely. Kendrick is my top pick.

As for Omega, he couldn't win the tag titles, so I don't see why he would make the finals of BOLA. Guy's kind of a dweeb, too.
This is where I got to disagree with you. If Kendrick doesn't take the title then I want my main man Kenneth Masters Omega to be victorious.

And I express my sincere gratitude to the board of directors for leaving Hero out of this. Thank you!
They have never shown themselves. Board of Directors? Or Deus ex machina?

Alan4L and Rob Naylor have thrown out some excellent possible match ups. I too would like to see El Generico take on Alex Shelley in BOLA. Should Kenny Omega become the new PWG World Champion then I just want to see Omega defend that title against Ibushi in an "Anywhere match." Dream, dream, dream dream, dream, dream. When I want you in my arms, when I want you and all your charms whenever I want you, all I have to do is Drea-ea-ea-ea-eam, dream, dream, dream.
CheMateo

Postby jdrouskirsh » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:36 pm

CrOwNMeKiNG23 wrote:Can someone please explain to me how Brian Kendrick is all of a sudden the front runner to win bola or atleast end up in the finals? the guy has been back in PWG since Speed of Sound, how the fuck does he deserve to even be in the finals much less win the whole damn thing? when he was on the independent circuit he was just another guy but now since he spent time in WWE it means he's big shit all of a sudden and automatically deserves to be champion?...bullshit.

Are you fucking kidding me? That can be said for Sydal, but definitely not Kendrick...
You remember Samoa Joe's nearly two year reign as ROH champion? never would have happened had Kendrick stayed with WWE... Kendrick was slated to be champion before he signed with WWE...
At the time he first signed with WWE in late 02, he was on par, if not a tier above Danielson... had he stayed on the indies, he would have been on the same level (if not above) as AmDrag in the independent wrestling scene..
And yes, the fact that he had a fairly decent run in WWE does mean something... Regardless of how shitty the product itself is, it is, has been, and always will be the major leagues of pro wrestling, and it does put him above people that would otherwise be equal or slightly ahead of him
-
here's how I would like to see the tournament go down:
Day one:

Brandon Gatson def Joey Ryan
LTP def. Scott Lost (this enables to put over brandon Gatson and LTP, enabling them to make it to day two, one of which to the semifinals and therefore making a huge boost and possibly one or two new homegrown stars, and imo Joey and Scott would be the best to put them over so nobody else in the tourney would be wasted)
Austin Aries def. Kevin Steen (having the two non regulars face off against other
Kenny Omega def. El Generico (with the Generico-MoLMF feud, it just fits to have these two face off in the opening round)
Matt Jackson def. Nick Jackson (they have to have the young bucks up against each other, and at the same time it would be a waste to have both of them in round two so it's more fitting they face off in round one)
Roderick Strong def. Human Tornado (pretty much a default matchup)
Chris Sabin def. Alex Shelley (see: note on Young Bucks)
Brian Kendrick def. Colt Cabana (it just makes sense to me to have the two ex-WWE guys face off)

Day two:

Brandon Gatson def. LTP
Kenny Omega def. Chris Sabin
Roderick Strong def. Matt Jackson
Brian Kendrick def. Austin Aries
(just seemed to be the best set of matchups with who I had winning the first round)

Kenny Omega def. Brandon Gatson
Roderick Strong def. Brian Kendrick
(having the wrestler most deserving to be champion against the most over guy in PWG, seems like the best finals matchup...Omega-Gatson seems like a fun matchup and Strong and Kendrick are the two best guys PWG have, so those are my semifinals matchups

Finals:
Roderick Strong def. Kenny Omega

8 man tag
El Generico, Human Tornado, Kevin Steen, and Colt Cabana vs. Alex Shelley, Nick Jackson, Scott Lost, and Joey Ryan
jdrouskirsh

Postby Zwarrior2 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:11 pm

Round 1
Block A
Scott Lost vs. LTP (SoCal battle)
- Lost pins LTP with Big Fat Kill
Roderick Strong vs. Joey Ryan (Someone for Roddy to beat up)
- Strong via Stronghold
Brian Kendrick vs. Kevin Steen (First time meeting)
- Kendrick gets the win with a low blow/small package
Brandon Gatson vs. Nick Jackson (Another SoCal battle)
- Gatson pins Jackson with Superkick
Block B
Colt Cabana vs. Austin Aries (Who will be wackier?)
- Aries pins Cabana with the Brainbuster
Alex Shelley vs. Chris Sabin (MCMGs battle)
- Shelley submits Sabin with the Border City Stretch
Human Tornado vs. Matt Jackson (2SBGs over YBs again)
- Tornado via DND
Kenny Omega vs. El Generico (Continues grudge)
- Omega gets win with a Hadouken

Round 2
Block A
Scott Lost vs. Roderick Strong (Rematch from 100)
- Lost submits Strong with Sharpshooter
Brian Kendrick vs. Brandon Gatson (Kendrick's cheating quest continues)
- Kendrick via schoolboy with feet on ropes
Block B
Austin Aries vs. Alex Shelley (Battle of former GN leaders)
- Aries taps Shelley with the HOA
Human Tornado vs. Kenny Omega (Omega destroys another friend of Generico)
- Omega via Croyt
Zwarrior2

Postby BOLA4ever » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:43 pm

CrOwNMeKiNG23 wrote:Can someone please explain to me how Brian Kendrick is all of a sudden the front runner to win bola or atleast end up in the finals? the guy has been back in PWG since Speed of Sound, how the fuck does he deserve to even be in the finals much less win the whole damn thing? when he was on the independent circuit he was just another guy but now since he spent time in WWE it means he's big shit all of a sudden and automatically deserves to be champion?...bullshit.

i was gunna post this too lol
kendrick is good and all but he does not deserve to win BOLA hes hasint been around too much nd ever since his he left WWE non of his matches impressed me
BOLA4ever

Postby Whoblehwah » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:04 pm

Woah. No Hero, thats a shocker. I guess it does make sense though now that Silverback explained it. Nice to see Shelly in.
Whoblehwah

Postby El Asian » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:39 pm

1st round matches I hope to see

Chris Sabin vs. Alex Shelley
Roderick Strong vs. Brandon Gatson
El Generico vs. LTP
Joey Ryan vs. Brian Kendrick
Kevin Steen vs. Nick Jackson
Kenny Omega vs. Human Tornado
Scott Lost vs. Austin Aries
Colt Cabana vs. Matt Jackson
El Asian

Postby Alex08 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:13 pm

yeah, no Hero is quite unexpected but Shelley is a nice addition but what i`m not so happy about is (no disrespect to the participants) but the anticlimacity of the final participants is not really something that i expected. But nonetheless heres what I want the tournament to look like:
Block A:
Brian Kendrick vs. Colt Cabana
Brian Kendrick pins Colt with the lowblow/small package combo
Kevin Steen vs. Nick Jackson
Kevin Steen pins Jackson with a steenalizer/Package piledriver combo
Block B:
Roderick Strong vs. LTP
Strong pins LTP after a super Gibson Driver
Kenny Omega vs. Human Tornado
Omega pins Tornado with school boy after attempted Croyts wrath
Block C:
Alex Shelley vs. Matt Jackson
Match Goes to a no contest after a double pin and refused sudden death by Matt Jackson
Austin Aries vs. Joey Ryan
Aries submits Joey to the HOA
Block D:
El Generico vs. Brandon Gatson
Generico pins Gatson after the top-rope brainbuster
Scott Lost vs. Chris Sabin
Lost pins Sabin after the big Fat kill

Round Two:
Block A:
Brian Kendrick vs. Kevin Steen
Kendrick pins Steen after a sliced bread #2 on the apron
Block B:
Roderick Strong vs. Kenny Omega
Omega rolls up strong for a quick 3
Block C:
Austin Aries get a bye
Block D:
El Generico vs. Scott Lost
Generico pins Lost after a super Half and Half suplex

Semi-Finals:
Brian Kendrick vs. Kenny Omega
Omega Pins Kendrick after reversing a school-boy
Austin Aries vs. El Generico
Aries pins Generico after interfernce by Omega

3-way Nine-man Tag
MCMG &Brandon Gatson vs. The Young Bucks & Joey Ryan vs. Colt Cabana, Human Tornado, and LTP

Finals:
Kenny Omega vs. Austin Aries
Austin Aries pins Omega after a brainbuster on the apron and the horns of Aries.
Alex08

Postby OSKMIA » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:27 pm

Hahaha! I've got to admit doing this years BoLA predictions was kinda fun. I used this random name picker generator I found on google to come up with the first round matches, and I was quite satisfied with the end result. The rest of the tournament results were my own predictions.

Round 1

LTP vs. Brian Kendrick
Colt Cabana vs. Kenny Omega
Austin Aries vs. Matt Jackson
Chris Sabin vs. Kevin Steen
Scott Lost vs. Roderick Strong
El Generico vs. Brandon Gatson
Alex Shelley vs. Joey Ryan
Nick Jackson vs. Human Tornado

Quarter Finals

Brian Kendrick vs. Kenny Omega
Austin Aries vs. Kevin Steen
Scott Lost vs. Brandon Gatson
Alex Shelley vs. Human Tornado

Semi Finals

Brian Kendrick vs. Austin Aries
Scott Lost vs Alex Shelley

Finals

Brian Kendrick vs. Scott Lost becomes the new PWG World Champion and the 2009 Battle of Los Angeles winner

Crazy Loser 8-man Tag

LTP, Colt Cabana, Matt Jackson, and Chris Sabin vs. Roderick Strong, El Generico, Joey Ryan, and Nick Jackson
OSKMIA

Postby DjEn3rgy21 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:10 am

I'm so torn... So many favorites for me.

Generico, Omega, Lost and Tornado!!!

Either way I can't wait this tourney is going to be nuts!!! I'm not much on predictions, I just want to see the action unfold in the ring and get hyped on the tournament!!! I'm totally for the element of surprise!!!!

Either way I'm ready for my 1st LIVE BOLA!!!!!
DjEn3rgy21

Postby bford24 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:37 am

I am equally excited for the tournament to begin, I am ready to get on my plane and fly to LA. I like the people in the tournament, with the title on the line almost anyone can win. I am glad there is no Hero, he still really, really bores me when he wrestles. I am also not big on predictions but I do also kinda hope Scott Lost wins BOLA.
bford24

Postby npdavis » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:11 pm

I have to say, that picture of Alex Shelley looks like he's aged 10 years since I saw him last August in NYC.
npdavis

PreviousNext

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum