Monday Night War revisited

Everything Else, Except for Advertising. Nobody likes a shill.

Monday Night War revisited

Postby CheMateo » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:17 pm

So last night TNA had their Monday night special and the WWE had a very special guest host in Bret Hart. Did you folks tune in? What did you all think of each show?
CheMateo

Re: Monday Night War revisited

Postby fatallylost » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:36 pm

I think TNA blew it away. I mean, The Nasty Boys? Hall and X-Pac? VAL VENIS! That's ratings dammit!

But, to be honest, I did DVR it for the first time in months. It was ok, it seemed to leave about 10 fully open questions, which almost seemed desperate to keep viewers. But, I don't blame them. Do what you gotta do.
fatallylost

Postby OSKMIA » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:23 pm

Yeah TNA put on an interesting, surprising, and yet confusing show. So much stuff didn't make any sense but it really kept me interested, and the main event was top notch.
OSKMIA

Postby CheMateo » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:37 pm

I have a lot to say. I hope you don't mind.

I have to say that I was excited for the first time in a very long time. I didn't realize how much I missed the opportunity we once had, to have two competing wrestling shows airing simultaneously. It used to be nice to flip back and forth and see what was going on TNT or USA if you didn't particularly care for what was going on one program. I didn't watch them live but DVR'd them both.

I thought TNA's program was uneven but fun. That dome cage was okay but that DQ ruling I thought was stupid. Then unfortunately Homicide got gassed and couldn't get out. It would've been neat to see Jeff and Homicide fight on top of that dome. I was a bit miffed the cameras moved away as I did want to see Homicide fall. I found it amusing. Homicide did take a wicked looking chair shot from Jeff. Could be an interesting program assuming the long arm of the law doesn't come around for Jeff.

Spike shouldn't have tried to censor the audience cussing, it was distracting. Also when ODB rolled up Tara and there was some arse cleavage, they cut away to a shot from earlier in the show. Just wonky. I was spinning my wheels looking at the telly.

What else was there? Lashley garbage didn't care for. Nastys...their old material still amuses me, I do have some fondness for them because of their time in the WWF and their brawls with Cactus Jacks/Sullivan/Maxx Payne in WCW.

I liked their WWF music.

But at the same time...they're only there because of their amigo Hogan. While the world is not clamoring for a Dudleys/Nastys feud, I'll still check out their match. But I thought it was a bit much they were there along with Val Venis.

Sarita/Taylor Wilde vs Kong/Hamada was fun. I liked that match. It was a nice counterpoint to WWE's sloppy women's matches. Everything was fluid and tight.

Joe/Abyss-crap. Raven/Richards vs Morgan/Hernandez...crap. Too bad too as I still like Stevie and well I wish the WWE put over Raven in his lawsuit of horror match.

Pope vs Wolfe. That was good match but much too short. I hope they get more time to do their dance.

Flair was a surprise. I really didn't see that one coming. Made me think back to those days of Nitro when one by one you had someone popping up. You just never knew who was going to be next. One day Ted Dibiase walked down and took a seat. Counts on his fingers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. And Tony Schiovane exclaims "Oh my gosh! There is going to be a fifth Horseman!" Or Raven sits around, gets paid to be drunk. Although, I knew when Raven's debut was coming thanks to a sign in the ECW Arena. Back on track. TNA can now offer us an exclusive dream match that WWE has been unable to pull off. Flair vs Sting FOR THE LAST TIME!!

AJ vs Kurt was just swell. Four snowflakes~!

Good and bad. But I still had fun with the show. They brought around a lot of old names some big, some irrelevant. They used those names to attract new viewers, which can be frustrating to some older fans. But at the same time I thought they were able to still focus on their younger talent.

- Someone laid out Beer Money, the MCMG, and Rhino. So there is a program brewing there.

- Homicide is loco and he might have been set up for a feud with Jeff Hardy. The man who was the number two face in WWE about three months ago and who was rumored for a return for a big Wrestlemania match with CM Punk.

- The Pope cut a good promo and scored a major upset over Wolfe in a nice match which hopefully leads to a better match.

- The newly formed tag team of Kong and Hamada had a to notch match to win the Tag Titles and start a natural feud with the daredevil and skilled tag team of Sarita/Wilde, who now need to find a way to take down the devastating power team.

- ODB won back the Knockouts Title and Tara attacked her advancing that story and possibly Tara's loosening grasp on sanity.

- The Beautiful People got TV time displaying some skin and seem to be set in a program with Venis.

- AJ's masked attacker returned and attacked him again.

- AJ and Angle's long simmering feud was revolved by a decisive match end, something they haven't had in their last two encounters.

- AJ/Angle was watched by Flair for an unspoken reason but which seemed to imply Flair's interest in one or both of them going forward.

- AJ was put over as one of the best in the world by Hulk Hogan.

So I think some good came along with some lousy rubbish.

I always hated Hogan. I hated his run on top. Mr. Good Guy always hulking up and winning. Stupid yellow tights, skullet, and dumb entrance theme. I took great pleasure when he was shown the door and the Hitman was given the ball.

While Bret wasn't as big a fella as some of Vince's other pet projects you always knew you could count on the Hitman to deliver a good match. Diesel had a pretty miserable title run. But once Bret beat him at Survivor Series, we finally started having entertaining main event matches again. Bret provided me with so many memorable moments and feuds.

- Bret's match against Perfect. I was so happy when he became the new Intercontinental champion.

- Rented Summerslam 92 from this mom & pop shop I used to go to and just being blown away by Bret vs Davey at Wembley stadium. I watched that match over and over and incurred late fees.

- Bret and Lex Luger eliminating each other at the Royal Rumble then having a coin toss for the title match, being a part of my favorite Wrestlemania, WM X.

- Facing the Undertaker at the Royal Rumble, getting Tombstoned and pinned 1...2...and saved by Diesel and his middle finger. My heart was pounding!

- Against Shawn Michaels at WM XII. The Iron man match. Again my heart was just pounding, I was jittery. Come on Shawn! Give up! Give up! Time's up! Okay....damn sudden death? Then restart the match with the sharpshooter!! More heart pounding and then defeat and sorrow would follow. I miss those nervous heart pounding moments.

- Finally Bret would return at SS 96 and begin a great, great feud with that naughty Stone Cold. They brought out the best in each other. WM 13 Blood from a stone.

- To finally one of my favorite angles of all time. The Hart Foundation vs America. Bret managed to be a face in every other country (He was always huge overseas. I still remember all those Indian kids chanting "Ve vant Brit Hart, ve vant Brit Hart!" and a white clad Hitman walks onto the stage and then those same kids were chasing his taxi as he departed) and a heel only in the U.S. There was that awesome eight man tag at Calgary Stampede.

Then Montreal would happen and I wouldn't really understand or know what exactly went down. Back then I didn't have this newfangled device called the interwebs. 97-03 was a really tough time for him. Montreal screwjob, Owen's death, concussion/forced retirement, stroke, Stu's death. It broke my heart how things went for him. He deserved a better send off. I was disappointed with how things ended. I never thought I'd see Bret back in a WWF ring again.

So as you can imagine this past Monday was an emotional episode for me. Surreal to say the least. I only wish that it took place in Canada. The interactions between Bret/Shawn and Vince were interesting. To be honest just the little Hart segments were the only highlight of the show for me. Wow, that hug. I kind of thought Shawn was going to superkick Bret. Then later in the show, Vince awkwardly did that Bret "pose" where he shouts at the crowd with his arms out. I always wondered what he was saying. Anyway Vince looked like a goof but you knew something vile was about to happen.

Everything else was just so bad. I didn't know that DX became walking shills. I'll keep recording Raw just for Hart but it seems like WWE has no intention of improving their over all in ring action.
CheMateo

Postby The Dan » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:36 pm

I watched iMPACT! until the Nasty Boys appeared....then I couldn't simply tolerate it anymore. The Nasty Boys are horrible. iMPACT! felt so much like WCW, that it wasn't even funny. Half of me is thinking, ''when the the hell is wrestling ever going to evolve?" Or are we doomed to live re-harshes of re-harshes, with the same old feable guys over and over and over and over and over. But then again, I'm caught in two minds, because on the other hand, I loved WCW, and here I have a WCW re-run every week in 2010! Hell if TNA are going to go all out Dubbya C Dubbya, then lets get Tony Shaivone!

The Bret angle on Raw, I thought it was pretty good, but the rest of the show was pretty meh. Two good matches, but still just the same old stale, unsipiring programming that doesn't do a lot to differentiate from the weeks pior. It's not that it's bad, it's just that there really isn't a lot to draw you in and make you feel compelled to watch every week.

Overall the night was fun, and there was a excitement in the air that is rarely felt these days and is indeed missed. I hope TNA end up going head to head with Raw every week, because even thought I didn't exactly enjoy iMPACT!, it makes both shows more exciting, and intriguing to see what they will bring out next. Something that wrestling has lacked since the death of WCW.
The Dan

Postby DjEn3rgy21 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:08 am

I'm not going to go into too much detail since plenty was covered.

TNA:
Overall thoughts, the show was kind of shitty, the only match I really enjoyed was AJ vs Kurt, that match was wikkid.

Jeff Hardy's return was a surprise, but the way they brought it in was lame, they announced him like he was just some other guy, then the wikkid chair shot happened, that was nice.

The cage match sucked, how the fuck do you end an opening cage match in a DQ? That was bullshit, thats where they started to lose me. Tons of past wrestlers came back, but it didn't interest me much and I grew up during the old school days. Womens title match was ok Tara has a cute ass. Womens Knockout tag titles, was good. Desmond/ Pope, too short. show was bleh.

The show felt like WCW, bad writing and bad segments. It was one big clusterfuck as usual.

WWE:
Now I'm a huge Bret Hart fan. I was so happy to see him back after 12 years. I was at Wrestlemania 12 when he lost to HBK. So disappointed when he lost but I never stopped watching him. It was tense to see HBK and BRET in the ring burying the hatchet. I always admired BRET as an athlete, a performer and as a champion. He proved that even though it's been a while , his presence is still there. Even if it was only 3 segments watching BRET HART back made everything so worth it. I became a "PINK n BLACK ATTACK" fan again.

The ending was typical Vince but I love the set up. Bret wanted to bury the hatchet but Vince being evil Vince always tries to push the limits. I can't wait to see the story line build with this one. If anything and we know BRET, this is far from over. The HITMAN will return again. I also want to see if he plays a part in the HART DYNASTY. That would be insane.

The rest of the matches were okay like I said, it was just typical programming. It's just repeat matches and the same things leading into the big show coming in March with WM. I'm curious when the Draft will take place to see what they do. Personally I'd like to see Bret visit Smackdown too just to stop by with the HARD DYNASTY and make his presence known.

The Womens match sucked there, my sister could have done better, and if anyone knows my sister she can kick ass with the best of them. Shamus/ Bourne was eh, Shamus was better in FCW in my opinion. DX vs JeriShow for the millionth time he's gone we get it, lets get the Edge vs Jericho fued going. Kofi vs Orton was meh, I'm not a fact of Orton at all. Personally, he's overrated, even from his OVW and UPW days. Never liked him. The 4 way match was decent, wasn't great but decent.

The wrestling was okay, not spectacular. I've seen better. But watching Hart was all I needed, honestly.

The rest of the show was typical, but then again I know WWE didn't really need much to over take the other show. Too bad they didn't put up the dark match with Danielson and Chavo.

All in all I just watched it for HART. I was just happy to see him again. Besides after that I just played God Of War and then popped in a PWG DVD to get the bad taste of bad wrestling out of my mouth.
DjEn3rgy21

Postby TigerDriver98 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:13 pm

I just found it slightly depressing that in 2010 wrestling has to revert back to 1997 to get any sort of buzz.
TigerDriver98

Postby OSKMIA » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:07 pm

Let's face it without the legends both companies would have been what it was four months ago, no buzz at all. You have to admit MMA is taking over the world right now. Pro wrestling needs to step up! Even though their tactics may not be what true pro wrestling fans would like to see, you have to be pretty happy that more people are saying that they are going to tune in more often.
OSKMIA

Postby The Six » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:05 pm

The Nasty Boys are awesome.
The Six

Postby Meltman » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:07 pm

The Six wrote:The Nasty Boys are awesome.

I'd legitimately dig seeing a Nasty Boys run in DDT4 one of these years. Would be a must-see spectacle with the right opposing team(s). They should do it before one of them drops dead.
Meltman

Postby El Asian » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:01 pm

Meltman wrote:
The Six wrote:The Nasty Boys are awesome.

I'd legitimately dig seeing a Nasty Boys run in DDT4 one of these years. Would be a must-see spectacle with the right opposing team(s). They should do it before one of them drops dead.

its a really terrible idea honestly if only because the Nasty Boys have been known to shoot on workers and really wouldn't sell for them and honestly, I rather see PWG bring back Necro Butcher and have him team with "Mr. Insanity" Toby Klein or Masada instead
El Asian

Postby Meltman » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:53 pm

It just seemed like one of those ridiculous ideas PWG would pull off. You're totally right though, match-wise they'd put on a trainwreck, albeit an entertaining one.

I'm still holding out for the Abby/Kevin Sullivan team we were promised. :idea:
Meltman

Postby El Asian » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:56 pm

Meltman wrote:It just seemed like one of those ridiculous ideas PWG would pull off. You're totally right though, match-wise they'd put on a trainwreck, albeit an entertaining one.

fuck that, PWG needs to bring in the Faces of Fear, Meng and the Barbarian, instead
El Asian

Postby DjEn3rgy21 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:03 pm

El Asian wrote:
Meltman wrote:It just seemed like one of those ridiculous ideas PWG would pull off. You're totally right though, match-wise they'd put on a trainwreck, albeit an entertaining one.

fuck that, PWG needs to bring in the Faces of Fear, Meng and the Barbarian, instead

Since were pulling that out lets bring out Demolition lol
DjEn3rgy21

Return to General Discussion