Upcoming Movies

Everything Else, Except for Advertising. Nobody likes a shill.

Re: Upcoming Movies

Postby WannaB » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:16 pm

CheMateo wrote:So I hear the Bryan Singer has been tapped to direct a cinematic presentation of Battlestar Galactica. WannaB, you are the expert in these parts on all things related to Battlestar. How do you feel about this project?

At Comic-Con I attended the Battlestar Retrospective panel where Richard Hatch of both the original & re-imagined series, and Tom DeSanto talked about it. I also spoke with both men briefly on the matter over the weekend at the Battlestar Concert and autograph signings. A little background...

The original series aired from 1978-1979 and spawned a gawdy spin-off, "Galactica 1980." Prior to 9-11 Richard Hatch, DeSanto, and Singer were trying to produce a movie based on the original series, but the material hit too close to home given the terrorist attack by Al-Qaeda, so the project was shelved. A few years later Ronald D. Moore was working on a sci-fi series dealing with artificial people, and Moore was put in touch with DeSanto among others about possibly blending the projects. The result was a re-imagined version of Battlestar that dealt with relative, modern, socio-political issues such as torture, rape, abortion, genocide, military occupation, war, suicide bombing and other terrorist activities, and religious fundamentalism & extremism...the show's material was honored with a Peabody award which is usually reserved for journalistic visual-media productions as they are most likely to present socially conscious material. The year they were honored, South Park also received a Peabody and the story behind Trey's & Matt's discovery of Battlestar as well as their acceptance speeches were priceless.

In any case, now that the re-imagined version of Battlestar has ended, DeSanto, Singer, and Hatch have been offered a chance to pick up the pieces of the movie/remake project they started on a decade ago. The downside is that it is Universal trying to capitalize on the popularity of the re-imagined show, and the desire of it's fans to see more Battlestar material. So the new Singer/Battlestar movies has nothing to do with the recent series, but rather the 1978 series.

I'd still like to see this film version of the original, however, I am more of a fan of the re-imagined version.
WannaB

Postby CheMateo » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:44 pm

WannaB wrote:In any case, now that the re-imagined version of Battlestar has ended, DeSanto, Singer, and Hatch have been offered a chance to pick up the pieces of the movie/remake project they started on a decade ago. The downside is that it is Universal trying to capitalize on the popularity of the re-imagined show, and the desire of it's fans to see more Battlestar material. So the new Singer/Battlestar movies has nothing to do with the recent series, but rather the 1978 series.
Is there any word if any of the cast members from the series will be involved with the film adaptation?
CheMateo

Postby WannaB » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:35 am

If there are any original cast members of "Battlestar 'Classic/Original'" involved...as it is supposed to be a continuation/re-visiting of the original series then I would wager Richard Hatch could make an appearence, and perhaps to appease the aging fanboys, Dirk Bendedict. Prior to the '03-'09 series the Sy-Fy (then Sci-Fi) channel did a video vignette of Starbuck (Dirk) having Starbucks with Starbuck (Katee Sackhoff) having Starbucks at Starbucks. He seemed a little sarcastic and "unsure" I guess you could say about one of his two most notable roles (the other being Face from The A-Team), a role of being a semi-sleazy, womanizing, ladies-man, now being played by a woman. However he did convey his support and best wishes, in so many words. When the show took off he put Katee on blast all over the internet and at conventions. She responded by saying he was two-faced, bitter, old man. Richard Hatch himself was uneasy about the reboot as well, but he gave it a chance and was rapidly welcomed onto the series with one of the most dynamic characters written for the show...his storyline ended magnificently. Other than that I doubt we'd see Jane Seymour since her character was dead I believe, and Lorne Greene & Lloyd Bridges obviously won't be back for reasons zombie-ism being fictitious. I'm sure some of the cast members who haven't had any other work in the past 30+ years are clamoring to come back...like Herbert Jefferson Jr., whose role was also replaced by a woman, and whom never seems to have anyone paying to get his autograph at his booth at Comic-con, he's like the sci-fi equivalent of Virgil. Although Ed begley Jr. did start out as a fighter pilot on the original show...however he was somewhat of an ancillary character. My thinking is that the film will pick up where the series left off, sans Galactica 1980, with the entire line-up re-cast , and will feature cameos from original actors. I'm sure Hatch will have loads of input as he actually wrote a series of Galactica novels after the original was cancelled.

This reminds me Mateo, I never lent you the 1st season DVDs for the '03-'09 series like we discussed a year ago.
WannaB

Postby CheMateo » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:44 pm

WannaB wrote:This reminds me Mateo, I never lent you the 1st season DVDs for the '03-'09 series like we discussed a year ago.
Ahhh, yes. We did talk about that. You got me more interested when you mentioned Lucy Lawless was on the show. Does the offer still stand? If it does, I'm hoping we can make a small trade. Some time ago we were talking about our favorite respective shows, Battlestar Galactica and The Wire. They both have the distinction of winning the Peabody award. I'll give you season one of The Wire.

Fair enough?
CheMateo

Postby CheMateo » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:08 pm

In older news, Machete is being made into a full feature length movie. Machete was one of the many mock trailers that appeared in the double bill of Grindhouse and Death Proof. What's new to me is the added cast members. Robert De Niro, Jessica Alba, Michelle Rodriguez, Cheech Marin, Lindsay Lohan, Don Johnson, and Steven Seagal. Seagal is supposed to play a drug lord. An interesting array.

Rambo V is in the works. The rumored plot sounded bad arse.
According to Variety, Nu Image/Millennium Films has greenlit a fifth installment of the Rambo franchise. Sylvester Stallone will return play his role from the last film as both star and director of the film. Right now, the story of the fifth film will see "Rambo fighting his way through human traffickers and drug lords to rescue a young girl abducted near the U.S.-Mexico border". Production on the film is expected to begin in the spring.

Apparently it is false.
Millenium Films recently announced that it plans to move forward with a fifth Rambo movie, which would focus on the famous former Green Beret stabbing and slicing his way through human traffickers and drug lords to rescue a young girl abducted near the US-Mexico border.

Turns out that while a fifth film is definitely in the cards, the storyline, as previously reported, isn't.

Harry Knowles of AICN spoke with Stallone to get the straight goods on the storyline. And according to Harry, the film is set in the United States, in fact, back where it all began
CheMateo

Postby CheMateo » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:52 pm

Mel Gibson is back kicking arse and taking names.

Edge of Darkness.

I'm also hoping that Lethal Weapon 5 will pan out. Originally I had heard Richard Donner say that LW 5 was dead in the water. I was so sad. But it is now listed as being in "Pre-Production" on IMDB. I hope that the film gets made, I want to see Lethal Weapon 5 more than anything else at the moment. I'm not a big fan of the third and fourth film. The fourth film was just an over the top farce. Shane Black has apparently written a fantastic screenplay and who else is better qualified to end the series than the creator? I know Shane Black can finally put the series to rest while letting it leave on a high note.
CheMateo

Postby CheMateo » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:46 pm

Some quick tidbits.

Yes! Sean Penn has returned to The Three Stooges movie.

It's almost a lock that Sam Mendes will direct Bond 23, should this MGM bankruptcy issue get settled soon. Some reports say MGM is fasttracking the picture. I personally don't know how when they are in the red. Co-Producer Michael G. Wilson has said right now things are unclear and no start date has been announced.

Spidey 4 is also on hold. Apparently the FX folks got a memo declaring indefinite hiatus. Apparently there are script issues. My main man El Asian told me Raimi wants the Vulture as the villain where as Sony wants another. Sony should learn from their mistake and just let Raimi do what he wants. Last time they twisted his arm he did something he didn't get and it turned out horrid.

The comedy buddy cop flick "A Couple of Dicks" has gotten a name to change to "Cop Out". That's fitting.

Karate Kid. Because you want it.
CheMateo

Postby CheMateo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:27 pm

Wall Street (2): Money Never Sleeps preview.
http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi875627545/

I enjoyed the first one and Douglas always does his best work as a powerful, ruthless, and wealthy individual. I sort of want to see the second installment but I just can't stand Shia LaBeouf. There is just something very unlikeable about Shia.
CheMateo

Previous

Return to General Discussion