The "Which DVDs Should I Get" Super-Thread

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Re: The "Which DVDs Should I Get" Super-Thread

Postby Tarfoo » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:13 pm

I'd like some opinions on The High Cost of Doing Business and It's a Gift... And a Curse. They're both available in the latest Highspots PWG special, but I've heard nothing that great about either show. I just have this burning urge to see Danielson vs. Evans from THCODB, since it's such a clash of styles.

Also, is Free Admission worth the buy?
Tarfoo

Postby Meltman » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:45 pm

High Cost is a lot of fun with some fun matches. I remember Danielson/Evans being good, but the highlight of the DVD is the handicap match. The whole reveal and stuff of Kingston is done really well. Generico/Strong was really good too I remember.

Gift/Curse is a decent show with some good matches. If you're a fan of Joey or Super Dragon I'd recommend it highly because those guys have an awesome brawl on this show. It's totally crazy and probably Dragon's last shining moment. Really good stuff.

Free Admission is a show I'd highly recommend. Daniels/Evans is a very good match, maybe my favorite Daniels match in PWG. (This match is also on PWG Sells Out.) There's also Generico and Steen's debuts on this show, they had a crazy match to get themselves over.
Meltman

Postby Wes2k8 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:52 pm

It's been 1 month and 1 day since I ordered my 5 for $40 DVD's. This is really getting ridiculous :/.
Wes2k8

Postby zombiegeeknecrocult » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:44 am

I'm sifting through the 2009 dvd's and deciding on only getting two. I already have Express written Consent. Out of all the dvd's that came out in 2009, which do you guys prefer?

So far the only ones catching my eyes are DDT, 99 and Gurre Sans (^(&)*#W(*?

Please give me your feed back.
zombiegeeknecrocult

Postby CheMateo » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:22 am

DDT 4 is a must. From there you cannot go wrong with either Guerre Sans Fronti
CheMateo

Postby The Dan » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:22 pm

TBH, apart from The Secret Of Guerrilla Island (which isn't a bad show, just not a great show), all the shows this year have been awesome. 99, 100 and DDT are all fine pick ups, but Threemendous II and Guerre Sans Frontieres are just flat out amazing shows. The 6 man opener on Threemendous II is awesome, as is Davey vs. Roddy, 2SBLG vs. The Young Bucks and The main event. Everything else on the show is good, including an underrated Sabin vs. Danielson match.

Guerre Sans Frontieres is also a great show top to the bottom, but 4 out of the last 5 matches are what really make this show a must buy. Lost and Tornando have a short, but fun match, a decent womens match and a decent Ryan vs Doi match up, but everything else on the cards is great. Anderson and Roddy have a great hard hitting match; El Generico and Shingo tear the house down, and a very good DG style 6 man tag, and of course Danielson's final match up in PWG against Hero, which is a classic in my eyes.

Honestly, the hot run of shows PWG has been on, you can't really go wrong with any shows from last year. Secret Of Guerrilla Island is the only show that is probably skippable, but it still has a great Roddy vs Omega and Nick Jackson vs Davey match up. Unfortually, the main event is really dissapointing between Joey and Nerco and just seems to drag.
The Dan

Postby musdy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:03 am

I haven't been keeping up with PWG since 2007, what are some good shows to get me back in the groove???
musdy

Postby Alex08 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:48 pm

musdy wrote:I haven't been keeping up with PWG since 2007, what are some good shows to get me back in the groove???

Express written consent,ddt4 2009, 99 & 100, threemendous II, and guerres sans frontierres are all great shows from 2009 and I highly reccomend them
Alex08

Postby Meltman » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:34 pm

DDT4, Three II and Guerre are must-haves for 2009. I have a very strong feeling both nights of BOLA will fall into the same category.

Express, 99 and 100 are extremely fun shows that are worth having. I'd also recommend Speed of Sound and Against the Grain, and perhaps The Gentle Art of Making Enemies. Some standout matches on them for sure, but those 3 aren't must-see like the rest.

2008 I'd say has less to choose from, but there are some awesome shows. I'd say these are must-haves from '08:

- All Star Weekend 6 - Night 1
- 1.21 Gigawatts (the best 6-match card ever)
- Life During Wartime (amazing show)
- All Star Weekend 7 - Night 1
- 2008 Battle of Los Angeles - Stage 1
- 2008 Battle of Los Angeles - Stage 2

Then there's stuff to pick and choose from. I thought the Main from
Meltman

Postby musdy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:14 pm

I need to pick three of these for a second grab bag.

Zombies Shouldn't Run
Holy Diver Down
Passive Hostility
Use Your Illusion IV
Threemendous
After School Special
Giant Sized Annual #4
Chanukah Chaos
Beyond the Thunderdome
Enchantment Under The Sea
Based on a True Story
musdy

Postby Meltman » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:42 pm

Giant-Size Annual #4 is a must-buy. The last 3 matches are like an arc that makes sense at the end. Danielson/Generico is a PWG classic. Incredible atmosphere for that match. Necro/Danielson before that match is a sweet unorthodox brawl. The Tag Title match is quick as hell and equally stiff. And also the 6-man early on the show is one of the best most underrated 6-man tags in the fed's history.

Another PWG classic is on Use Your Illusion IV in the form of an Ironman match. A ton of ridiculous spots in probably the fastest-passing hour-long match I've ever watched.

Finally I'd add Zombies Shouldn't Run to the list. One of my personal favorites, a ton of underrated gems on this one. Quicksilver vs. Super Dragon is out of nowhere crazy. They destroy each other. Arrogance vs. Black Guys continues the crazy with some nutty bumps. Joey vs. Claudio I also remember being pretty damn good.

I also gotta say, there are some equally good shows like Threemendous. Arrogance vs. Davey/Steen/Tornado is yet another awesome, awesome 6-Man tag. It's also got Cape Fear vs. KOW, which may be my favorite KOW tag ever. The Main Event is ridiculous (in a good way) cage/hardcore action.

Finally I'd consider Holy Diver Down. PAC vs. Steen is an insane match. Even after having faced Claudio, I think Steen was the best ever base for PAC. This match is an awesome David vs. Goliath type battle with some nutty bumps you wouldn't expect. Steen is a great base; more feds should use him like that. Arrogance vs. MCMG on the show is an excellent tag also.

Whew, long writeup. Hope that helps.
Meltman

Postby Tarfoo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:27 am

Holy Diver Down is a one match show, really.
Tarfoo

Postby Meltman » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:32 am

Yeah, you're kinda right. I also just noticed PAC/Steen is available on PWG Sells Out Vol. 1, so just buy that to see it.
Meltman

Postby Souf Centrol » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:03 pm

Meltman wrote:Yeah, you're kinda right. I also just noticed PAC/Steen is available on PWG Sells Out Vol. 1, so just buy that to see it.

I just ordered this DVD, can't wait for it to get here. Had to get it before I watch part 2 that I got at wrestleunion
Souf Centrol

Postby musdy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:28 pm

Quick Question: Smells Like Teen Spirit or European Vacation UK???
musdy

Postby TigerDriver98 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:46 pm

musdy wrote:Quick Question: Smells Like Teen Spirit or European Vacation UK???

I'd say Steen Spirit. Outside of a few matches and the novelty of seeing PWG in a different setting, the European shows weren't that good.
TigerDriver98

Postby zombiegeeknecrocult » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:21 am

What dvd's have good scott lost matches?
zombiegeeknecrocult

Postby Meltman » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:06 am

That's a loaded question my man. Lost has been on basically every show, so there's a LOT of great matches, especially tags.

Some of my all-time favorites:

Lost vs. Joey Ryan (Against the Grain)
Lost vs. Alex Shelley (Threemendous II)
Lost, Karl Anderson & Joey Ryan vs. Paul London & The Young Bucks (Express Written Consent)
Lost vs. Bryan Danielson (The Gentle Art of Making Enemies)
Lost vs. Chris Hero (2008 Battle of Los Angeles: Stage 2)
Lost & Joey Ryan vs. KAZMA & MIYAWAKI vs. The Young Bucks (Life during Wartime)
Lost & Joey Ryan vs. El Generico & Kevin Steen (1.21 Gigawatts)
Lost & Joey Ryan vs. The Age of the Fall (All Star Weekend 6: Night 1)
Lost, Karl Anderson & Bino Gambino vs. TJ Perkins & The Young Bucks (Giant-Size Annual #4)
Lost & Chris Bosh vs. B-Boy & Homicide vs. The Briscoe Brothers (2006 Battle of Los Angeles: Night 2)
Lost, Chris Bosh & Scorpio Sky vs. Davey Richards, Kevin Steen & Human Tornado (Threemendous)
Lost & Chris Bosh vs. B-Boy & Human Tornado (Fear of a Black Planet)
Lost & Chris Bosh vs. El Generico & Quicksilver (Beyond the Thunderdome)
Lost, Ricky Reyes, Davey Richards & Joey Ryan vs. Super Dragon, Jack Evans, El Generico & Frankie Kazarian (2005 Battle of Los Angeles: Night 2)
Lost & Chris Bosh vs. B-Boy & Super Dragon (Use Your Illusion III)
Meltman

Postby Cuda » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:21 pm

Looking to get four DVD's from 09 soon. Already picked up Gentle Art Of Making Enemies, Express Written Consent, 100, DDT4 & Threemendous II in the 5 for $40 sale (99 was sold out, unfortunately). Guerre Sans Frontieres is an obvious one but I dunno what others to get. Thinking of BOLA and either Against The Grain or Speed Of Sound. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Cuda

Postby TigerDriver98 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:13 pm

Both are good shows, but I'd recommend "Speed Of Sound" over "Against The Grain". The El Generico vs Chuck Taylor Street Fight and the Bucks vs Joey/Anderson match were two of my favorite PWG matches of 2009. The rest of the show was pretty good as well. You can't really go wrong either way though.
TigerDriver98

PreviousNext

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum