How did you get onto PWG?

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Re: How did you get onto PWG?

Postby Baaggh?! » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:39 pm

My husband (boyfriend at the time) kept telling me to come to a show with him when PWG was still at the JCC. I used to take him and drop him off all the time but was never interested in going. Until BOLA 2006, he'd finally badgered me enough to get me to go. I went to night two and LOVED IT. So much that I came back for night 3 and brought the kid along. We've been hooked ever since.

I swear I've told that story like five times...I KNOW there is a thread about it somewhere. LOL.
Baaggh?!

Postby Sir Carlin » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:56 pm

It was that of Word of Mouth, I believe.

My friend had told me about BOLA 2007, and how great of a tournament it was. I defiantly had heard of PWG before hand, but never really got into it. I'd watch promos from shows all the time on YouTube, but BOLA completely had me hooked. The lack of Danielson due to injury didn't even get to me.
Sir Carlin

Postby socalstrongstyle » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:26 pm

I went to shows from day 1. I never missed a show until February of last year when I quit going all together. I just got very burned out on the product. As of late I am finding myself wanting to go to shows again, but I am waiting for a venue change before I return. I can't stand the current venue on a slow night, let alone for a packed house.
socalstrongstyle

Postby DjEn3rgy21 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:44 pm

I used to go to a lot of indie shows as a kid. And for a while I stopped going due to working, deejaying and other stuff I used to do. Especially since they were on days I had gigs or other plans. But after a long time I wondered if anyone did indie shows still. To my surprise I googled independent wrestling in Southern California, in to which So Cal Uncensored appeared. I registered and saw PWG was running near my home town. I went to check out THE GENTLE ART OF MAKING ENEMIES. I also started looking up YouTube vids of this wonderland of a promotion.

Since the day I went I was hooked. PWG helped save my faith in wrestling today. If there was ever a chance to see them travel all over I would definitely go to where they would be at.

I am a total PWG fan for life.
DjEn3rgy21

Postby Wes2k8 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:10 pm

Around 2004-05 I started watching wrestling, and in 2005-06, I found out about TNA. Through TNA I found out about Samoa Joe, Aj Styles, Cm Punk, etc. I looked into these guys and found out some of them had worked in ROH. I looked up various wrestling related things on youtube, and found all sorts of MV's for matches in various companies. I didn't really think anything of them until a year ago, when ROH got a show on HDNet. I fell in love. Then I started watching CZW, and IWA, etc., because I remember having found clips of bat-shit crazy spots a year or so before from them. I became obsessed with all that UV Crap, but got bored quickly. Around that time I found some Chikara MV's, and I loved that. Then I found Joey Ryan vs. Human Tornado MV, and got sucked into PWG.Lately I've been trying to get into both companies, I ordered PWG Sells Out, and Best of Chikara 2008, and I enjoyed the PWG DVD way more.
Wes2k8

Postby Souf Centrol » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:14 am

I got hooked on ROH and wanted to see them live then I found out that some wrestle for ROH and PWG so when speed of sound came around I went(along with my girlfriend) and now I'm more of a PWG fan than ROH
Souf Centrol

Postby The Dan » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:21 pm

I've known about PWG for a few years through internet and mags, however I never really had the time to check it out. Then a few months ago, I came across TigerDriver 98's videos on youtube, and watched the recap Hero/Tornado feud video, and man did that look like some heavy stuff. So since around May or June this year, I've been keeping up with the happenings in PWG, and today finally got some spare cash to place a order.
The Dan

Postby CMCoke2010 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:59 pm

Pretty much just hearing the name of the wrestlers which I was familiar with by watching ROH and TNA, mainly Joe/Punk/Styles/Daniels/Kazarian. But the names Super Dragon and Kevin Steen caught my eye when seeing a video package of their feud. 1st dvd I ordered was BOLA 06 and that was pretty good. I live in Maryland so obviously it's hard to go to a PWG Show lol, been to 10 or so ROH Shows but I want something new to freshen up things as a fan so to speak. Ive heard 09 was an amazing year for PWG and ROH has somewhat declined imo so yeah...
CMCoke2010

Postby mhdogg » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:02 pm

My first three PWG DVDs were bought thru a highspots deal a few years ago. I bought Guitarmageddon (mainly for AJ vs Jamie Noble), Astonishing X-Mas, and Hollywood Globetrotters. I was completely disappointed. The crowds were really quiet, I hated the commentary, and didn't care for the overall presentation. There were a few highlights like seeing the start of the Scott Lost/Scorpio Sky feud, but in general I wasn't much of a fan. I had told myself I wouldn't buy a PWG dvd again. I eventually decided on giving BOLA 08 Night One a chance with some extra birthday money I had. I still found the crowds to be really distant, and for some reason still didn't care for the overall presentation. There were a few good matches though, but again I vowed to not buy a PWG DVD for a very long time. When I heard sooooo much hype about DDT4 2009, I decided to give PWG a chance again. After that I was hooked. All of the matches were so enjoyable and I loved the overall presentation. Even though the venue is small, I think the crowd comes across as more lively. Since then I have bought every single DVD from 2009 and plan on getting the Sells Out collections.
mhdogg

Postby Whoblehwah » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:28 pm

Sir Carlin wrote:
It was that of Word of Mouth, I believe.

My friend had told me about BOLA 2007, and how great of a tournament it was. I defiantly had heard of PWG before hand, but never really got into it. I'd watch promos from shows all the time on YouTube, but BOLA completely had me hooked. The lack of Danielson due to injury didn't even get to me.

That'd be a good name for a PWG show. "Word of Mouth". Lol.
Whoblehwah

Postby camstun187 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:14 am

For a good two years or so, I had seen results on another board for a fed called "Pro Wrestling Guerrilla", and really never clicked on them or cared. After a while, the topics started to get more and more conversation, but still, I didn't budge....ROH was the only indy I cared to put time into. Either way, me and my buddy from Texas were talking about all this new wrestling he watches and stuff, and he told me about PWG. Since HE was telling me about it, I figured "shit, it must be pretty damned good", and he showed me the BOLA 2007 hype video:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3vkpu ... ideo_sport

The one he showed me had super dragon, danielson, and someone else in replace for Kozina, Shelley, and i forget, but shit, I got more pumped for that tournament than I ever have for anything in wrestling in years. I kept checking Highspots, seeing when they had it on sale. As soon as I saw it available, I bought all three nights, sat and chilled with my friend on christmas night, watched nights 1 and 2, and was fucking amazed. The next day I got home from work, watched Night 3, and all I can say is that I was a tried and true PWG fan for life after that.

It's my favorite wrestling promotion ever.
camstun187

Postby LBOinyamouf4sho » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:38 am

i saw super dragon and B boy in CZW's best of the best 2002. i was interested so i googled both of them, what i found was the press release for PWG's debut show. i figured why not go check it out and take the kid to universal studios while in socal. been keeping up ever since.
LBOinyamouf4sho

Postby El Horse » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:03 am

I was on the ROH boards in 2008 and there were a few posters talking about the Sells Out DVD. By the time I was done watching that I was hooked. I now have over 35 PWG shows including Bad Ass Mother 3000 and the Tango and Cash Invitational.
El Horse

Postby camstun187 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:46 am

All I can say is...next time I come to a PWG show from MD, I wanna puff an L with SoufCentral.

My treat, of course.
camstun187

Postby Meltman » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:38 am

A friend of mine ordered those weekly NWA-TNA PPVs back in '04-'05. I remember liking Styles and Daniels and looked 'em up. Eventually discovered PWG, watched some footage, instantly became a fan of guys like Super Dragon, AXP, Arrogance, Excalibur and been a fan since.
Meltman

Postby Souf Centrol » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:07 pm

All I can say is...next time I come to a PWG show from MD, I wanna puff an L with SoufCentral.
My treat, of course.

Sounds like a plan to me :D
Souf Centrol

Postby zombiegeeknecrocult » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:44 pm

Bryan Danielson was wearing a Scott Lost shirt in a ROH dvd.
zombiegeeknecrocult

Postby musdy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:55 am

Around the same time I got into all independent wrestling.
musdy

Postby Fawrules » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:00 pm

Chris Bosh and some of the other comedy stuff got me my first look at it. Plus some of the other guys I had enjoyed in ROH and TNA.

I may get bashed but the shows from the last couple of years blow the old ones out of the water.

The live commentary is alot better to, the older taped commentary I don't know what to say about it but it just sounded weird.
Fawrules

Postby Tarfoo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:28 pm

Fawrules wrote:The live commentary is alot better to, the older taped commentary I don't know what to say about it but it just sounded weird.

Yeah, I don't like it either.

The volume levels of the in-ring action and commentary aren't in balance, and you can practically hear how Excal is inside a small room speaking to a shitty mic.
Tarfoo

PreviousNext

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum