Trios Titles

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Trios Titles

Postby b2u » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:01 pm

I thought about this for a while and after analyzing the lower end of the roster, it seems that Trios titles would do a lot for the undercard. It would give guys who usually get mixed up in random tag matches something to actually strive for. Look at Dragon Gate and their trios titles, they can have some serious epic title matches and some fun six man matches (Akebono). I can see some many different possible trios champs:
The Cutlers and Ryan Taylor
The Cutlers and Von Eerie
The Cutlers and Scott Lost
Scott Lost, Ryan Taylor and Christina Von Eerie
LTP, Goodtime and Malachi
LTP, Goodtime and Candice
LTP, Goodtime and Gatson
LTP, Goodtime and Bonham
Bonham, Gatson and Joey Ryan
Bonham, Ryan and Candice
The Jackson 3

The point being that it would make the whole undercard of the show's a little more interesting when you have a fun title match to look forward before intermission. Plus all the six man tag this past year have been awesome. Plus, the number of possible title matches would be endless and always something fresh.
b2u

Re: Trios Titles

Postby Souf Centrol » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:19 am

I don't know about that idea, it would take attention off the other 2 titles. Plus there aren't really that many teams to compete for it, we'll see the same 6 or same 4 with 2 different wrestlers. Your example shows what I mean

b2u wrote:The Cutlers and Ryan Taylor
The Cutlers and Von Eerie
The Cutlers and Scott Lost
Scott Lost, Ryan Taylor and Christina Von Eerie
LTP, Goodtime and Malachi
LTP, Goodtime and Candice
LTP, Goodtime and Gatson
LTP, Goodtime and Bonham
Bonham, Gatson and Joey Ryan
Bonham, Ryan and Candice
The Jackson 3

A guerrilla(hardcore) champ would work better because they never take attention away from the main titles
Souf Centrol

Postby tmac9311 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:48 am

I'm kinda 50/50 on this, it would really depend how PWG wanted to go about it. With a set roster like PWG has for the most part, there is just not enough wrestlers to compete for it. If PWG could manage to bring in 1-3 outsiders a show, and wanted to do so, I could possibly see it working in a way. PWG having only 2 Titles I think adds a lot to the shows and the matches, kinda how 2/3rd of the roster is trying to deserve a #1 contenders match, so every 1v1 match has importance. We kind of already have too many thrown together tag title matches, and I can't really see there ever being a build to be a contender for a trios title. It would add a lot more excitement and meaning to some of the under card matches. That is really the only positive thing about it. I just don't think there's any real way PWG could have 3 title matches a show/month. There just isn't enough wrestlers or shows to give meaning to those belts without taking away from the Tag and World belt.
tmac9311

Postby deadmandevilman » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:12 am

In addition, PWG hardcore matches are pretty rare. I dont think doing one a show would be that fun.
deadmandevilman

Postby Souf Centrol » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:33 am

deadmandevilman wrote:In addition, PWG hardcore matches are pretty rare. I dont think doing one a show would be that fun.

True but this way we could have 1 every 2-3 shows, I'm just speaking as an alternative to a trios title. Like Tmac said I think it's fine with 2 titles
Souf Centrol

Postby talley_1986 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:28 am

I wouldn't mind seeing a version of the Young Lions Cup. The division is only for wrestlers who's been in the company a year or under. It could be a fun way to get someone over without having them beat any really established stars. Once they're in the company for a year, they have some credibility to go after one of the other two titles.
talley_1986

Postby deadmandevilman » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:42 am

talley_1986 wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing a version of the Young Lions Cup. The division is only for wrestlers who's been in the company a year or under. It could be a fun way to get someone over without having them beat any really established stars. Once they're in the company for a year, they have some credibility to go after one of the other two titles.

That is actually really interesting. A yearly tournament for the Gorilla Cup?
deadmandevilman

Postby El Hijo del Generico » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:08 am

More titles tend to dilute the prestige of existing titles (singles titles especially). Trios are great, but I feel that is Chikara's thing. It would be like doing a PWG Pure title. If they do another strap, it should be special and reflect something about PWG.

I like the cup idea, but BOLA is already a kind of special title like that.
El Hijo del Generico

Postby shettler » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:56 am

I think it sounds like a fun idea! It could start off as an undercard showcase, but I could definitely see it as a possible main event caliber championship in the future.
shettler

Postby El Asian » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:36 pm

another possible idea, a women's title, of course the problem is that there's only 2 women in PWG, maybe a good time to bring a few more women, maybe even some joshi chicks whenever available
El Asian

Postby talley_1986 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:26 pm

deadmandevilman wrote:That is actually really interesting. A yearly tournament for the Gorilla Cup?

I'd probably hold off on doing a yearly Gorilla Cup just because it'd be too much like CHIKARA. Instead, maybe treat it similarly to ROH's old Number One Contender's Trophy. PWG could hold a tournament (Or some other way to determine a new champion amongst several wrestlers) whenever they don't have a champion. Instead of the Trophy holder cashing in his title shot, a new champion would be needed whenever the current Gorilla Cup holder has surpassed one year (Or however long is the limit) that he can be in the division.
talley_1986

Postby tmac9311 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:48 pm

Actually, I really like the idea of cup/tournament, just for the fact it could give us a march show. Where we can't have a typical PWG show, guys like LTP/Goodtime/Bonham/Gatson/Cutlers/Malachi etc. aren't booked for any ROH or DGUSA shows(at least to my knowledge) you could throw in guys like Lost and Scorpio Sky to add in a bit of drawing power. Now it would most likely be the weakest show every year, and not sure another tourney 3 shows after BOLA is great booking, but it give us PWG fans something to look forward to in March (I won't be in Arizona, and have become too indy to really care about Wrestlemania at all). The local talent probably comes a lot cheaper than the main guys, so where numbers would be down in fans and DVD sales, so would the rates to fly people in a pay the workers. Plus PWG could bring in all the local guys some of you talk about, and us fans not in the LA area haven't had to opportunity to see to see if they can get over on a one night only thing.

Now obviously you couldn't do a 16 man tournament, but maybe you have a 6 man tag (example: Bonham/Gatson/Sky vs Lost/Malachi/Taylor) where the winning team moves on to the main event for a triple threat match, and have a tag team match (example: LTP/Goodtime vs Cutlers) and the eventual winners get a respective PWG World or Tag Title shot at the next show. Then you could fill the rest of the card with Lerae vs Von Eerie, and other local competitors. So yeah a relatively weak card, I'm sure you could book a couple big name guys that won't be at the shows that I'm not sure if they work those days or not (like London doesn't work ROH or DG to my knowledge). to fill out the card a bit better than what I've thrown out there. Guys like Los Lucas also come to mind. The title shots would give a very fresh feel to the title scene, and where we know a guy like Gatson won't beat Davey, PWG could instantly put him over, and the cards have been so stacked lately, PWG could afford to give some kids a title shot one show a year. If you wanted you could even throw in Hero's rematch and make it triple threat.

So March show: Smaller Venue, smaller ticket prices, smaller names, same great PWG fun? It may be possible.
tmac9311

Postby deadmandevilman » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:18 am

It also can be a turney that is not done in one night. It could be across a few shows.
deadmandevilman

Postby El Asian » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:39 pm

to follow up on my women's title idea, probably have an 8 woman and 1 night tournament filled with local and some international women wrestlers that are available with some non-tournament matches with the rest of the male wrestlers
El Asian

Postby Meltman » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:07 am

Trios Titles would be cool but a single missed flight would ruin any title match. Probably too much hassle.

I do however think there should be more Trios matches. At least one per card. PWG puts on the best multi-mans in North America today.
Meltman

Postby El Asian » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:09 pm

honestly I would support a Trios title in PWG as long as PWG books the Birds of War for a shows
El Asian

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum