PWG's Camera Filming

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Postby astro_zombie » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:06 am

Rish To The Rosh wrote:The camera work on Astonishing X-Mas was excellent, they handled the very difficult Guerrilla Warfare match really well.

excellent example
astro_zombie

Postby SoCalAndy » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:14 am

theleapinglemur wrote:Has the camera got any better since e.g. closer to the ring without the heads?

Yeah. You should buy a recent show and see for yourself. I'd rank PWG's camera work above all other promotion's camera work.
SoCalAndy

Postby magell » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:22 am

They do a good job of the camera work on the floor but when the action is in the ring the floor cam looks really weird because of the angle they shoot the action at. They shoot from under the bottom rope and it is a weird angle. However I can deal with that much easier than RoH and the differences in the white balance. There is nothing worse than going from the normal hardcam to an orange shaded handcam.
magell

Postby luca brasi » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:10 am

PWG could do better by raising the hard cam higher so it looks more "down" on the ring. Maybe strap the camera to one of the basketball backboards??? A second floor cam would be nice, but maybe not cost effective at this point. Too bad, with PWG always running in Hollywood, some professionals couldn't come in to help clean up and slicken the production.
The good thing is, if the camera work is the worst thing we have to bitch about, then at least they seem to be doing the WRESTLING part pretty right.
luca brasi

Postby astro_zombie » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:26 pm

luca brasi wrote:The good thing is, if the camera work is the worst thing we have to bitch about, then at least they seem to be doing the WRESTLING part pretty right.

even gooder thing about that is, the camera work is not that bad. 8)
astro_zombie

Postby Kamikaze » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:15 pm

Yeah, PWG's camera has been the only thing I don't like about their product. Comparing it to SMV's, which I think is best, I think the camera guy should maybe stand on a chair or the ring steps, which is what SMV does, and it turns out awesome. Also, the hard cam should be way higher up, SMV usually does them from a balcony or if they don't have any elevated surfaces they put the tripod all the way up and point the screen down so they can look up and see what they're filming. PWG's hard cam is too low, and the floor cam is too shaky and akward.
Kamikaze

Postby SoCalAndy » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:35 pm

*Sigh*, the camera work is just fine the way it is. The hardcam level is the same level as the ring apron and are setup on tables, and it does a fine job at getting the action it needs. The floor cam is also steady on the action and has been top notch for the longest time now. It's a lot better than SMV's in my mind, and worlds better than ROH.

Too bad, with PWG always running in Hollywood, some professionals couldn't come in to help clean up and slicken the production.

For an indy wrestling promotion(which is something you people seem to be forgetting), PWG's production is great. No need to get any Hollywood shit right now as PWG isn't producing Hollywood type productions.
SoCalAndy

Postby WannaB » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:29 am

PWG did hire professionals at one point to do their camera work from what I've been told. They just stopped showing up one day, but PWG wasn't too broken up about it because they were paying them & the camera work was crap.
WannaB

Postby ozmania » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:58 am

actually to my knowledge, the only time they hired professionals was at the very first ASW with AJ/Joe on it and that by far is the worst camera worked PWG show. In fact, they fired them before night 2. Not everyone can do a good job filming Pro Wrestling.
ozmania

Postby bford24 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 am

ozmania wrote:actually to my knowledge, the only time they hired professionals was at the very first ASW with AJ/Joe on it and that by far is the worst camera worked PWG show. In fact, they fired them before night 2. Not everyone can do a good job filming Pro Wrestling.

That last part is so true, you can just ask the people who did Ready to Rumble if you want an example of that. It is very true that pro wrestling is a different kind of event to film. PWG is doing a fine enough job with what they have, they use great cameras by the way.
bford24

Postby Paul Burns » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:48 pm

bford24 wrote:
ozmania wrote:actually to my knowledge, the only time they hired professionals was at the very first ASW with AJ/Joe on it and that by far is the worst camera worked PWG show. In fact, they fired them before night 2. Not everyone can do a good job filming Pro Wrestling.

That last part is so true, you can just ask the people who did Ready to Rumble if you want an example of that. It is very true that pro wrestling is a different kind of event to film. PWG is doing a fine enough job with what they have, they use great cameras by the way.

Ahh thats cool to find out. ASW night 1 was freaken HORRENDOUS when I was watching it in terms of filming, it pissed me off alot. I was watching 2YA the other day aswell as After School Special and the camera work there is good, I wasn't distracted by the poor filming and shit and it was good. So PWG must have upped their game after the ASW fizzler. Yay!
Paul Burns

Postby WannaB » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:42 pm

Paul Burns wrote:
bford24 wrote:

Ahh thats cool to find out. ASW night 1 was freaken HORRENDOUS when I was watching it in terms of filming, it pissed me off alot. I was watching 2YA the other day aswell as After School Special and the camera work there is good, I wasn't distracted by the poor filming and shit and it was good. So PWG must have upped their game after the ASW fizzler. Yay!

Haha, no. They just talked the ring crew into doing it cause they know that they already work for free. lol :wink:
WannaB

Postby luca brasi » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:15 pm

SoCalAndy wrote:*Sigh*, the camera work is just fine the way it is. The hardcam level is the same level as the ring apron and are setup on tables, and it does a fine job at getting the action it needs. The floor cam is also steady on the action and has been top notch for the longest time now. It's a lot better than SMV's in my mind, and worlds better than ROH.

Too bad, with PWG always running in Hollywood, some professionals couldn't come in to help clean up and slicken the production.

For an indy wrestling promotion(which is something you people seem to be forgetting), PWG's production is great. No need to get any Hollywood shit right now as PWG isn't producing Hollywood type productions.

Andy feel free to accept the fact that PWG isn't perfect.
There is DEFINITELY room for improvement. Saying their stuff is better than ROH etc. doesn't mean it's "fine the way it is." Indy or not, their production is not great. Good, but not great. I still say raising the hardcam higher would make it look much more pro. Look at the PWG Franks and Son shows last year with the higher hard cam. Looks awesome, much better than the JCC shows.
luca brasi

Postby Ryan! » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:26 pm

luca brasi wrote:
SoCalAndy wrote:*Sigh*, the camera work is just fine the way it is. The hardcam level is the same level as the ring apron and are setup on tables, and it does a fine job at getting the action it needs. The floor cam is also steady on the action and has been top notch for the longest time now. It's a lot better than SMV's in my mind, and worlds better than ROH.

There is DEFINITELY room for improvement. Saying their stuff is better than ROH etc. doesn't mean it's "fine the way it is." Indy or not, their production is not great. Good, but not great. I still say raising the hardcam higher would make it look much more pro. Look at the PWG Franks and Son shows last year with the higher hard cam. Looks awesome, much better than the JCC shows.

Yea PWG should just have George Lucas and Lucasfilm to film their shows. Then their production levels would be great :roll:
Ryan!

Postby SoCalAndy » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:31 pm

Nah, PWG should just get Pixar to produce their shows and to animate PWG shows.
SoCalAndy

Postby Ryan! » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:34 pm

What about using Troublemaker? I would love to see PWG shows in black and white with only Joey Ryan's mustache being in color. PWG MAKE IT HAPPEN!
Ryan!

Postby SoCalAndy » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:41 pm

No way, they should get the people who made The Matrix to do PWG shows. Imagine DVDs pausing when Dragon goes for a Psycho Driver and the camera doing a 360 while Dragon is doing the move.
SoCalAndy

Postby astro_zombie » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:54 pm

Ryan! wrote:
luca brasi wrote:

Yea PWG should just have George Lucas and Lucasfilm to film their shows. Then their production levels would be great :roll:

SoCalAndy wrote:Nah, PWG should just get Pixar to produce their shows and to animate PWG shows.

Ryan! wrote:What about using Troublemaker? I would love to see PWG shows in black and white with only Joey Ryan's mustache being in color. PWG MAKE IT HAPPEN!

SoCalAndy wrote:No way, they should get the people who made The Matrix to do PWG shows. Imagine DVDs pausing when Dragon goes for a Psycho Driver and the camera doing a 360 while Dragon is doing the move.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

awesomeness
astro_zombie

Postby Sillentassasin » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:17 pm

Why not Get Alex Shelly to do it?

LOL
:lol:
Sillentassasin

Previous

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum