Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Presents DIO! on Friday, June 11!

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Postby PWG_Silverback » Wed May 19, 2010 10:00 pm

By Silverback, Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Staff Writer

Silver Mountain, CA - Earlier this week, legendary musician Ronnie James Dio passed away, and that made us here at Pro Wrestling Guerrilla sad. Even worse, it came not long after the death of another legendary musician, Guru (Gifted Unlimited Rhymes Universal), most notably of Gang Starr. These two men were giants of their particular genres, and supremely influential not just within the music industry, but in popular culture and beyond. "Beyond" would most certainly include Pro Wrestling Guerrilla, where both performers played a huge role in shaping not only our musical tastes, but the image of our company as well. Both will live on forever through their music, but we can't help being disappointed by their passing.

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla presents DIO! on Friday, June 11, 2010 at American Legion Post #308 in Reseda, CA, at 8:00PM. Front Row and General Admission tickets for DIO! are on sale now, and this event is scheduled to feature:

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Tag Team Championship Title Match
PWG_Silverback
Site Admin

Re: Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Presents DIO! on Friday, June 11!

Postby El Asian » Wed May 19, 2010 10:40 pm

looks good, disappointed Richards is still overseas though and also surprised that Chuck Taylor or Roderick Strong aren't booked either but I'm glad Los Luchas are back in and good to see Tozawa in PWG as well
El Asian

Postby jacob_burman » Wed May 19, 2010 11:01 pm

The main event was a genius idea. It was a nice tease with London talking about their former partners before their match with the Bucks and this is a match the fans probably wanted to see. It's going to be good seen Steen in person.

Maybe it's me, but I would have much rather seen the Bucks make a return at the anniversary show with the Cutlers getting a big tag match at the show. Though, with the description, there's a lot to go for it. Maybe a Cutler's win here (Ryan is going to be awesome pretending to be a Cutler and the Bucks should have a field day poking fun at that), get a win over the Bucks at the anniversary show (it's in July, right?) and then the Bucks are like screw it, cash their rematch right when the Cutlers get their shot. Be some pretty sick booking right there.

Really happy to see Tozawa coming back and his match with Lost should be highly entertaining. And Candice versus Christina is something that I wanted to see for quite some time. Glad they are back on the card.

Gatson versus Hero, me personally, not feeling it. Not knocking Gatson at all and I see what they are doing with the angle, But I was really hoping for a Hero versus Strong match if Davey wasn't at the show. And after DDT4, was thinking Bonham was going to be higher on the cards with an impressive outing with Hero. Again, not knocking Ryan at all, heck, they could even still have a match, just thought it would have a description and be higher up.
jacob_burman

Postby jacob_burman » Wed May 19, 2010 11:11 pm

And damn, TOTALLY slipped my mind, but great name for the show. You guys do truly listen to the fans and named the show after the late Dio. This is why I love you guys.
jacob_burman

Postby DjEn3rgy21 » Thu May 20, 2010 12:21 am

The DANGER BEES!!!!!! :lol: I still can't get that out of my head. I'm loving the main event. Not to mention Tozawa coming back against Lost, I can't wait for that one.

The Cutlers and Bucks are going to go nuts, especially with Joey in the picture.

I'm also happy to see Los Luchas back, they disappeared for a bit again.

This should be another fun event I'm feeling MOST of these matches.
DjEn3rgy21

Postby Meltman » Thu May 20, 2010 3:10 am

Love the shout-out to Guru. Gang Starr are so underrated. Hip hop of today...

Some of these matches look absolutely sick. After seeing how fired-up Kendrick was at KRM and how his TNA performance has been going, I'm really looking forward to what he brings to this match. Steen, of course, is always a pleasure to watch. Wonder if he'll be silly or beat the piss out of his opponents? This should be a great first defense, very unorthodox match but loving it.

The 6-Man Tag should be nuts with spots. Let's hope the right trio wins.

Gatson/Hero will be AWESOME. That's a great match to book, both guys are on streaks so one's going to come to an end. This one will turns some heads, guaranteed.

Tozawa already being back is great; it appears the petition has worked, fellas. Hearing all I've heard, I can't help but look forward to him facing Lost of all people. Such variety on this card.

LOS LUCHAS! That's fantastic news. I know these guys make sporadic appearances, but they're so extremely fun to watch. This is a first-time match too, so it should be really great. Thanks for bringing Los Luchas back, PWG.

Bonham/R. Taylor should be very good, it'll probably get overlooked because of how good this card looks. But I think they'll put on one hell of an exhibition, should be chock-full of kicks. These kids are the future.

Candice/Von Eerie... Can't complain about that. The more of these ladies, the better.

I don't dwell much on Davey not being there, but it does kinda dampen the mood. Hero's working more now than he did as champion. It's all backwards.
Meltman

Postby Lord Akiyama » Thu May 20, 2010 7:25 am

Wow. That looks like a pretty damn good card.

The main even looks to be wild fun.

The six-man should be crazy fun.

Tozawa vs. Lost should be awesome fun.

Hero and Gatson should be great fun.

Los Luchas returning should be lucha fun.

Now I just have to see if I can go to the sucker since it's on a Friday.
Lord Akiyama

Postby Detroitboi » Thu May 20, 2010 9:12 am

AWESOME! Glad Tozawa is on the card. But on a Friday? Dammit! Gonna have a Real Battle with Traffic if I can make it :mrgreen:
Detroitboi

Postby The_Sharpshooter » Thu May 20, 2010 11:45 am

Excellent.
Joey "Malachi Cutler" Ryan?!?!?? LOL!!!!
A long lost brother from another mother... LOL!!!
This is going to be awesome :mrgreen:
The_Sharpshooter

Postby talley_1986 » Thu May 20, 2010 12:25 pm

While I love Davey, if he can't be at every show, take the belt off of him. With PWG only having 12 or so shows per year, you need a champion who can actually show up. This will now be three shows out of five that the World Champion wasn't booked this year. Give the belt to a local, they may not be as big of a star as Davey, but you'll be able to depend on them more.
talley_1986

Postby PWGnorthern » Thu May 20, 2010 1:56 pm

PWG does it yet again, another great looking show.

Generico/London Vs Kendrick/Steen should be fucking insane, love the Kendrick/Steen team, i wouldnt even be mad if they became new champs
6-man's are always awesome, and Hero Vs Gatson is a match im very looking forward to, hopefully Gatson can continue to hang with the big boys
Lost Vs Tozawa could have the most potential on this show, great call
Luchas back! Bonham vs Taylor!
only blemish is no Chuck Taylor or Roddy but no complaints whatsoever.
PWGnorthern

Postby Madvillian » Thu May 20, 2010 2:18 pm

I hate living in Washington, I'll have to wait till August or September to see this show, Sounds sick as hell. I bet all the entrance music will be either Dio or Guru, hate that the dvds skip the entrances, fuckin highspots.
Madvillian

Postby Whoblehwah » Thu May 20, 2010 3:08 pm

First of all, AWESOME show name! R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio.

This card looks pretty good.The main event should be good. The six-man tag will be lots of fun. I'm curious to see if The Young Bucks will go back to being dominant in PWG or suffer another loss. Hero vs. Gatson should be good. The only thing bothing me (besides Davey not being on the card) is Bonham vs. Taylor. From what I heard Bonham had a great match with Hero so I thought he'd face some more of the upper card guys like maybe Roderick Strong or Joey Ryan or Scott Lost. But instead he's back to opening the show.

Another thing, I think PWG needs to start booking more locals. I've noticed that for quite a while now the lower cards of shows are populated by the same wrestlers:

Ryan Taylor
Johnny Goodtime
LTP
Brandon Bonham
The Cutler Brothers
Christina Von Eerie
Candice LeRae
Malachi Jackson
Los Luchas (when they're around)

I think they should start getting these guys involved in fueds of some sort and move them up the cards and at the same time bring in new lower card guys. Idk though. I don't actually go to the shows so for all I know, maybe the PWG just likes it that way. What do you guys think?
Whoblehwah

Postby jacob_burman » Thu May 20, 2010 3:44 pm

Whoblehwah wrote:First of all, AWESOME show name! R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio.

This card looks pretty good.The main event should be good. The six-man tag will be lots of fun. I'm curious to see if The Young Bucks will go back to being dominant in PWG or suffer another loss. Hero vs. Gatson should be good. The only thing bothing me (besides Davey not being on the card) is Bonham vs. Taylor. From what I heard Bonham had a great match with Hero so I thought he'd face some more of the upper card guys like maybe Roderick Strong or Joey Ryan or Scott Lost. But instead he's back to opening the show.

Another thing, I think PWG needs to start booking more locals. I've noticed that for quite a while now the lower cards of shows are populated by the same wrestlers:

Ryan Taylor
Johnny Goodtime
LTP
Brandon Bonham
The Cutler Brothers
Christina Von Eerie
Candice LeRae
Malachi Jackson
Los Luchas (when they're around)

I think they should start getting these guys involved in fueds of some sort and move them up the cards and at the same time bring in new lower card guys. Idk though. I don't actually go to the shows so for all I know, maybe the PWG just likes it that way. What do you guys think?

That's what I've been thinking. Bonham should be higher on the card after the last show instead of opening. It's like as if his match against Hero really didn't matter to much. And I'm hoping to see the Cutlers and Bucks get into a nice feud within the next few months which leads to something really big.
jacob_burman

Postby Souf Centrol » Thu May 20, 2010 3:49 pm

Buying my tickets tomorrow or saturday
Souf Centrol

Postby Meltman » Thu May 20, 2010 4:30 pm

They've announced matches before where on the show they weren't in that order. I'd imagine Bonham/Taylor won't open, Bonham's being pushed and Taylor is too as evident by DDT4. I think the ladies match or Luchas tag will open.
Meltman

Postby El Hijo del Generico » Thu May 20, 2010 5:01 pm

Looks outstanding. Glad Steen and Spanky will be back.
El Hijo del Generico

Postby El Asian » Thu May 20, 2010 5:08 pm

I agree that I really do hope PWG brings in (and brings back for certain other) some more local guys

personally, one thing I do hope is that a promo of Steen and Kendrick together, either done during the show or before the show to hype said show, maybe it would be Steen and Kendrick trying to figure out a tag team name in response to
El Asian

Postby Matt Flash » Fri May 21, 2010 12:26 am

Only problem with this card, for me, is the lack of at least one huge singles match. DDT4 gets a pass, since it's a tag tourney. Apparently Hero/Bonham was really good, but going into the show nobody really seemed to pay much attention to it. Titannica had London vs. Generico and Strong vs. Davey, As The Worm Turns had Strong vs. Sabin, Shelley vs. Hero and Davey vs. Omega. And so on and so on, you get the idea.

I'm sure this is gonna be another great show, and I don't mean to knock the potential of Gatson/Hero, Lost/Tozawa, Taylor/Bonham or even LeRae/Von Eerie. All should be good matches, maybe even great, but nothing more in the grand scheme of things. None of them have me super excited and itching to see them.

Just to make it clear, though, this isn't me knocking the card. All the tag matches look really fun at worst, and pretty amazing at best. And the singles matches we have will all be fun if nothing else. They just don't have the buzz that other recent singles matches have had.
Matt Flash

Postby jacob_burman » Fri May 21, 2010 5:24 am

Matt Flash wrote:They just don't have the buzz that other recent singles matches have had.

I feel the same way. I'm just glad I'm not the only one cause I felt bad with what I wrote earlier. But it seems like there are others that feel this way. Hopefully this lights a HUGE fire under these guys in the single matches to try to steal the show.

By the way, El Generico and Kevin Steen are hyped to have quite the singles match at the next RoH iPPV a week after this show. It's going to be real interesting to see them in this tag match and then get the iPPV to see them one on one. As a fan of wrestling, I think it's really cool that promotions have the same wrestlers wrestle each other during the same time period. It's too bad promoters don't use what happens at one show and talk about it in a different company. That would probably be a wrestling fans wet dream.
jacob_burman

Next

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum