The "Which DVDs Should I Get" Super-Thread

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Re: The "Which DVDs Should I Get" Super-Thread

Postby talley_1986 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:28 pm

Any opinions on From Parts Well Known?

I bought it along with All Star Weekend 1 Night 1 and PWG Sells Out 2 from Highspots. ASW looks pretty great, so I doubt I have anything to worry with that. I mainly bought From Parts Well Known for Davey vs Ryan.
talley_1986

Postby Meltman » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:50 am

I remember the Cape Fear tag being real good/funny. Steen and Sabin were called "Tweek and Cartman" at one point.
Meltman

Postby talley_1986 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:57 pm

From Parts Well Known was pretty good. Nothing really blown away, but for five dollars, it's a great deal. Best match was Steen/Sabin vs Cape Fear. I was really surprised how much I loved Ronin/Koslov vs Havana Pitbulls.
talley_1986

Postby Mr. Vegas » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:59 pm

What did you guys think of Hollywood Gobetrotters?

I got it in the mail today along with the new Kendrick and London shoot.
Mr. Vegas

Postby talley_1986 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:04 pm

Mr. Vegas wrote:What did you guys think of Hollywood Gobetrotters?

I've only seen the Generation Next vs Richards/Dragon match, but it was good. The first half or so was boring, but it picked up really good near the end.

Arrogance vs Cape Fear looks like it could be great though.
talley_1986

Postby Meltman » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:58 pm

talley_1986 wrote:
Mr. Vegas wrote:What did you guys think of Hollywood Gobetrotters?

I've only seen the Generation Next vs Richards/Dragon match, but it was good. The first half or so was boring, but it picked up really good near the end.

Arrogance vs Cape Fear looks like it could be great though.

It's good but very inferior to the tag they had on the next show (Beyond the Thunderdome, also on PWG Sells Out II).
Meltman

Postby Mr. Vegas » Sat May 22, 2010 10:23 pm

I just recently ordered all 3 nights of BOLA 2007.

I can't wait until they show up in my mailbox!
Mr. Vegas

Postby Meltman » Sun May 23, 2010 7:10 pm

Night 3 will blow 90% of everything you've seen away.
Meltman

Postby Mr. Vegas » Mon May 24, 2010 4:17 pm

Meltman wrote:Night 3 will blow 90% of everything you've seen away.

That's cool, I heard alot of good things about the 2007 Battle of Los Angeles so I bought it thorugh that $34.95 for all 3 disc special that is being offered.

In your opinions, what is the best BOLA ever?
Mr. Vegas

Postby Meltman » Thu May 27, 2010 7:49 am

Probably 2007. Would rank 'em 2007, 2009, 2006, 2008, 2005.
Meltman

Postby Phoenixsplash » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:51 pm

Anyone else's copy of Kee_ The _ee Out Of Our _ool say April 27, 2004 on the back instead of March 27? Or did I just get a special wrong one?

And are there any opinions as to what PWG's worst show was? May seem like an odd question, but I've wanted to see if they've ever had a truly bad show. So far in the 60+ that I own, they have not.

Lastly, any opinions on It's It (What is it)? Really want to see the main event but I'm not sure if the show is worth it.
Phoenixsplash

Postby TigerDriver98 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:51 pm

Phoenixsplash wrote:Anyone else's copy of Kee_ The _ee Out Of Our _ool say April 27, 2004 on the back instead of March 27? Or did I just get a special wrong one?

And are there any opinions as to what PWG's worst show was? May seem like an odd question, but I've wanted to see if they've ever had a truly bad show. So far in the 60+ that I own, they have not.

Lastly, any opinions on It's It (What is it)? Really want to see the main event but I'm not sure if the show is worth it.

1. Just checked, and mine says April as well.

2. Hmm... I can't say that PWG has ever had a truly bad show without any redeeming qualities. But here are a few that come to mind:

- Debut Show: I hate mentioning this show as one of the worst, but it technically isn't very good in comparison to everything PWG has done since. I can't help but really like the show however. Still my favorite PWG DVD commentary after seven years.

- BAM3K Night One: Some solid stuff here and there, but there is nothing great on the show. The lack of commentary makes it a little hard to watch as well.

- 44-Ways To Kill You With A Pimento: Again, it's ok... but there is nothing too special on this show, well aside from M-Dogg 20's famous "botch".

- Teen Outreach Summit: This also falls into the "It's ok" category". Mainly because there aren't many clean finishes on this show, and Rocky Romero Vs. Christopher Daniels was sleep inducing IMO.

3. I thought "It's It" was one of the weaker shows of 2008, but it isn't bad. The 3-way Main Event is really fun (much better than the similar 4-Way from ASW7), Bosh's return was memorable, undercard has some entertaining stuff on it. I didn't care much for Davey Vs. Bonham or Aries Vs. Generico though.
TigerDriver98

Postby maxx powerz » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:56 pm

I really strongly dislike Jason Takes PWG, but the Guerrilla Warfare match and Generico/Tornado opener might be good enough to keep it from being truly terrible. Maybe.
maxx powerz

Postby Phoenixsplash » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:52 pm

So I'm not the only one who got that, weird.

I agree about 44 ways being one of their bottom shows. I enjoyed Teen Outreach, but it did have a lot of boring points. I'll probably never be able to track down the other shows to find out though. But I guess PWG has never had a truly terrible show, which just goes on to prove how great it really is.

Thanks for the opinions on It's It. Probably going to get it now, sooner or later.
Phoenixsplash

Postby Meltman » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:59 pm

Highspots has 7 different volumes of PWG shows. Each volume has 9 individual shows on it, and it's only 35 bucks.

Biggest bargain of the year easily. I'd jump on this if you're missing shows. Go here.
Meltman

Postby Evil_MJ_Hasselhoff » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:06 am

Hello all. Been big on PWG for 5 years or so, but new to the boards.

I need some help; as big as a fan I am, I severely missed out on the 2008 year. I didn't see much from it. '08 was heavily occupied by school and work and didn't really have too much time for PeeDubGee.

What's truly the best of '08?
Evil_MJ_Hasselhoff

Postby maxx powerz » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:21 am

In all honestly, 2008 wasn't too good, imo. The only must see show of the year is Life During Wartime. If you're looking to pick up a bunch of stuff though, I'd also give mild thumbs up to both nights of ASW6, ASW7 and BOLA although you can probably stay away from Night 1 of ASW7 and watch the awesome six man tag on PWG Sells Out 2, and probably stay away from BOLA Night 1 just because the main event is so god awful. Stay far away from DDT4. As far as B shows, I'm not good remembering names but the one right after ASW6 is th only one that stands out in my mind, the one with Ki/Generico, Hero/Tornado, Strong/Romero and Dynasty/Young Bucks. Actually, there's a pretty good one in there with a four way tag, Dynasty/Steenerico and a hardcore mixed tag main event that might be worth checking out.
maxx powerz

Postby syxxpakk » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:51 pm

What's the best jumping on point for current storylines?

I'm not so much into "great wrestling" as I am "great storylines with great wrestling."
syxxpakk

Postby talley_1986 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:08 pm

syxxpakk wrote:What's the best jumping on point for current storylines?

I'm not so much into "great wrestling" as I am "great storylines with great wrestling."

There really isn't many storylines going on at the moment. Right now, the only storylines I can think of would be:

- The Cutlers vs The Young Bucks - This is more of a series of matches starting at One Hundred though.

- Chris Hero trying to receive his PWG Title rematch.

Probably the last real storyline was El Generico vs The Men of Low Moral Fiber.
talley_1986

Postby El Hijo del Generico » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:28 pm

talley_1986 wrote:
syxxpakk wrote:What's the best jumping on point for current storylines?

There really isn't many storylines going on at the moment. Right now, the only storylines I can think of would be:

- The Cutlers vs The Young Bucks - This is more of a series of matches starting at One Hundred though.

- Chris Hero trying to receive his PWG Title rematch.

Probably the last real storyline was El Generico vs The Men of Low Moral Fiber.

Paul London and El Generico's build up and win has been a storyline too, I'd say.
El Hijo del Generico

PreviousNext

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum