The Curse of Guerrilla Island takes place October 9, 2010!

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Re: The Curse of Guerrilla Island takes place October 9, 2010!

Postby Meltman » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:11 pm

You know what'd be a great way to end the year?

Peligro Abejas vs. Ricochet and a partner.
Meltman

Postby DjEn3rgy21 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:53 pm

Last night was a lot of fun, I'm glad I got to come back after so long. Made is so sweet.

The opening Joey Ryan Promo: That was great, the iPhone promo app was fucking great. That had to be a fun promo to watch.

Cage vs Yuma: Fun match, loved the Taylor boys coming in and raising hell. I had a ball with this especially watching Cage with his Wolverine chops all he needed was to scream out bub. lol Fun match

Candace vs Avalon: This match was funny, I loved the "GO NINJA GO chants" and The TMNT opening. That match was fun as well.

Ryan Taylor vs Rocky Romero: This was a good match, had a few hits n misses but still fun.

Cutlers vs Briscoes: This match was wikkid too, the beginning took a bit to build up but had it's moments with the sit ups and push ups segment After that they turned up the heat and started kicking ass. I loved it, the match was great, hope to see more of both teams going at it.

Chuck Taylor vs Johnny Goodtime: That was a kick ass match, some real hard bumps and funny moments. The "Catch me Bitch" as Chuck went to dive on Good time. And the Awful waffle from our angle looked fucking brutal. it was a great match, even when the Taylor Boys came out to help.

Ricochet vs Generico: I loved this match, the "Ochet" vs the "Ole" chants were funny. I loved the fact that they played it as Generico was studying new ground and was getting frustrated rather then his usual bouncy self. He turned it up a bit and that was fun to watch. Had some really hard moments in it. Definitely would love to see a rematch of this.

Claudio vs Joey vs Hero vs Gatson: This match was way shorter then I had anticipated. I thought for a four way dance it would have gone longer. The match was nuts though, Ryan even super kicked hero and cut him open. The match was all over the place. Claudio is a beast!!! He deadlifted Joey and threw him out, deadlifted Gatson and took him out then Deadlifted Hero off a pin into an anchored German Suplex!!! Holy hell!!! I wish this match would have been longer though. Seemed way to short for me.

All in all this event was fun, even though it only lasted a few hours. Still can't believe it was done by 10:48pm. But I had fun, got lit, drank some delicious beer and screamed like a madman. Lizzie Valentine was in attendance again. She should pop in for a show sometime. I'd love to see her in person in the ring again.

Some personal highlights:
Bought my DVD Seven.
Dude with the iPad was funny, especially after I said "You went from markers and poster board to an iPad"
Got trapped when Claudio landed on us
laughed at avalon passing me in mid air as he tried to hold to me on while falling as I darted and he missed.
Drank beer like a champion
And loved starting the "We Want AC" chant and getting it 5 minutes later lol

Can't wait until the next one.
DjEn3rgy21

Postby DjEn3rgy21 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:54 pm

Last night was a lot of fun, I'm glad I got to come back after so long. Made is so sweet.

The opening Joey Ryan Promo: That was great, the iPhone promo app was fucking great. That had to be a fun promo to watch.

Cage vs Yuma: Fun match, loved the Taylor boys coming in and raising hell. I had a ball with this especially watching Cage with his Wolverine chops all he needed was to scream out bub. lol Fun match

Candace vs Avalon: This match was funny, I loved the "GO NINJA GO chants" and The TMNT opening. That match was fun as well.

Ryan Taylor vs Rocky Romero: This was a good match, had a few hits n misses but still fun.

Cutlers vs Briscoes: This match was wikkid too, the beginning took a bit to build up but had it's moments with the sit ups and push ups segment After that they turned up the heat and started kicking ass. I loved it, the match was great, hope to see more of both teams going at it.

Chuck Taylor vs Johnny Goodtime: That was a kick ass match, some real hard bumps and funny moments. The "Catch me Bitch" as Chuck went to dive on Good time. And the Awful waffle from our angle looked fucking brutal. it was a great match, even when the Taylor Boys came out to help.

Ricochet vs Generico: I loved this match, the "Ochet" vs the "Ole" chants were funny. I loved the fact that they played it as Generico was studying new ground and was getting frustrated rather then his usual bouncy self. He turned it up a bit and that was fun to watch. Had some really hard moments in it. Definitely would love to see a rematch of this.

Claudio vs Joey vs Hero vs Gatson: This match was way shorter then I had anticipated. I thought for a four way dance it would have gone longer. The match was nuts though, Ryan even super kicked hero and cut him open. The match was all over the place. Claudio is a beast!!! He deadlifted Joey and threw him out, deadlifted Gatson and took him out then Deadlifted Hero off a pin into an anchored German Suplex!!! Holy hell!!! I wish this match would have been longer though. Seemed way to short for me.

All in all this event was fun, even though it only lasted a few hours. Still can't believe it was done by 10:48pm. But I had fun, got lit, drank some delicious beer and screamed like a madman. Lizzie Valentine was in attendance again. She should pop in for a show sometime. I'd love to see her in person in the ring again.

Some personal highlights:
Bought my DVD Seven.
Dude with the iPad was funny, especially after I said "You went from markers and poster board to an iPad"
Got trapped when Claudio landed on us
laughed at avalon passing me in mid air as he tried to hold to me on while falling as I darted and he missed.
Drank beer like a champion
And loved starting the "We Want AC" chant and getting it 5 minutes later lol

Can't wait until the next one.
DjEn3rgy21

Postby Souf Centrol » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:01 pm

DjEn3rgy21 wrote:Ricochet vs Generico: I loved this match, the "Ochet" vs the "Ole" chants were funny. I loved the fact that they played it as Generico was studying new ground and was getting frustrated rather then his usual bouncy self. He turned it up a bit and that was fun to watch. Had some really hard moments in it. Definitely would love to see a rematch of this.

This was the moment of the night for me. I found it hilarious how generico was getting pissed off. I think he just stole his chant lol I know I'll be saying it next time I see Ricochet
Souf Centrol

Postby Detroitboi » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:04 pm

What was with the Ticket Line Switch this time? LOL Pre sale was against the wall. But this was a good show overall

I noticed Generico's questionable heel turn as well. Especially when the crowd started chanting Ochet as well as Ole'. Kinda like "That's MY Chant!" lol. But that was definately match of the night. Cutlers and Briscoes got pretty good as it progressed. I loved the Taylor Boys faction, maybe the bad guy tactics will push Chuck to a title run or something. As far as the Title match, the whole thing was what? 15 Minutes it seems? Maybe a bit more, but it was short. Claudio Winning? I'm not against it, as long as he shows up. Looks like Joey is back to the sleezy ways, or a hint of it with him slapping Claudio and running away. Sucks because he probably wanted a face run, but the crowd was so against him it was probably decided to just go heel. With him having a shot in the bank I wouldn't be surprised if he came out with the title soon. Hero can't catch a break when you hear "Anyone but Hero" chants. Again I'm all for a champ that will show up more than twice a year. Had a great time as usual.
Detroitboi

Postby El Hijo del Generico » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:08 pm

DjEn3rgy21 wrote:And loved starting the "We Want AC" chant and getting it 5 minutes later lol

I'm fine with an AC chant, but I think it was incredibly disrespectful to the talent to chant it during their match. People chanting it while they were wrestling was fucking weak. Chant between matches or at intermission.
El Hijo del Generico

Postby El Hijo del Generico » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:09 pm

El Hijo del Generico wrote: Chant between matches or at intermission.

I mean chant for AC at breaks or intermission.
El Hijo del Generico

Postby DjEn3rgy21 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:55 pm

El Hijo del Generico wrote:
DjEn3rgy21 wrote:And loved starting the "We Want AC" chant and getting it 5 minutes later lol

I'm fine with an AC chant, but I think it was incredibly disrespectful to the talent to chant it during their match. People chanting it while they were wrestling was fucking weak. Chant between matches or at intermission.

Well I started it because we were hot, we didn't take much away from the match because right after I got back into it. Plus people were happy it happened within 5 minutes.

But the ones who kept going after that was retarded, we told them it started so too late, they were the same ones banging on the wall in the back next to the iPad guy.

I started it but I didn't prolong it after it was pointless when they turned it on. It happens and the match still was great and people enjoyed it.
DjEn3rgy21

Postby krayzie Bone » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:50 pm

Good show but way too short, How do you know when PWG is having a small show? No hot dogs that's how. lol

Anyways here are my thoughts match by match;

Johnny Yuma vs Brian Cage, good opener solid match.

Peter Avalon vs Candice, No comment

Ryan Taylor vs Rocky Romero, great match, my favorite match of the night

Cutler Bros. vs Briscoes, good match, but I expected a little more out of that match.

Johnny Goodtime vs Chuck Taylor, the match was really good but I hate interferences especially in PWG, not digging the Taylor Boys gimmick either.

Ricochet vs El Generico, second favorite match of the night. (the chant was funny but it was overdone, so that took away from the match)

Main Event; good match but way too short.
krayzie Bone

Postby bford24 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:28 am

Since I wasn't at the show and only saw the results today, can someone explain to me this whole Taylor Boys thing? I obviously understand the Ryan/Chuck connection but what does Brian Cage have to do with it. It sounds like a good way to use them, I love a good faction.
bford24

Postby Meltman » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:48 am

It stems from when the 3 teamed at BOLA Night 2. Brian "Taylor" Cage went on to become Brian Cage-Taylor.
Meltman

Postby theBZA » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:38 am

Show was a lot of fun and went with a couple of good friends.

Souf Centrol I was gonna go up to you and ask if you wanted to join our session during intermission but than i couldn't find you or I was probably just too faded.
theBZA

Postby jdw » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:16 pm

Generico-Ricochet was a terrific vet/young guy match. Maybe Hero-Tozawa from BOLA was more spectacular, but this was a better "story" match than anything on the two nights of BOLA. It's a sign of the quality of the match when the two guys on either side of me, who've each been watching puroresu for 20+ years, both say, "This is an indy Misawa-Jumbo" halfway through the match... and then Generico gives us the equiv of the Misawa-Jumbo finish.

Can't think of a finish I've enjoyed more since seeing Rey Jr. job to Santo in Tijuana on a night when we were all worried Carlos was going to put Rey over Santo. Ricochet was quite good, but I'm super impressed by what Generico did in and with the match. This really is a match that people should track down and watch the DVD of right after watching BOLA. Big, big, big kudos to Generico.

Joey's opening mic spot was good. The crowd was quite a bit down, not just from BOLA but from the two cards before that. It did seem like a good chunk of the Joey Haters from BOLA stayed home, and Joey did a good job of handling the hecklers in the building. ;)

John
jdw

Postby krayzie Bone » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:51 pm

Actually Ricochet has been wrestling since like 2005 or even earlier so you can't really call it young guy vs vet match. I also wouldn't say that the match was telling a story. These days fans think frequent near pins equals a story, but that's not really what a storyline match is. Two guys have to wrestle multiple times before a match tells a story.
krayzie Bone

Postby luca brasi » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:22 pm

krayzie Bone wrote: Two guys have to wrestle multiple times before a match tells a story.

Wow you've missed out on a lot of good wrestling over the last 50 years
luca brasi

Postby El Asian » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:32 pm

luca brasi wrote:
krayzie Bone wrote: Two guys have to wrestle multiple times before a match tells a story.

Wow you've missed out on a lot of good wrestling over the last 50 years

well he's only been watching wrestling for over 20 years :mrgreen:
El Asian

Postby krayzie Bone » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:15 pm

I missed a lot of bad wrestling because I refused to watch garbage on TV and Indy promotions that are stuck back in the 80's. I watched the old ECW, WCW, IWA, CZW, ROH, Chikara, Dragon Gate, Noah, PWG, so actually I saw many great shows within the past 20 years. I was also fortunate to attend many great shows live. To you Ricochet might be a new guy, but I used to see him wrestle in IWA when his career first started back in 05 I believe.

May be things are different in California but as far as I know a story match is usually based on a feud between two wrestlers, a match usually tries to tell a story about a struggle between two competitors, thus telling a history inside a wrestling ring. Perfect example of a story match would be Generico vs Steen matches in ROH. When a guy just keeps kicking out of near finishers, that's not telling the story. I'm not a big fan of story matches anyway, in my opinion it takes away from wrestling.
krayzie Bone

Postby luca brasi » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:17 am

so... matches are pointless if they are not building a feud?
Maybe we are just differing on definition of "telling a story"....
I have seen countless matches betwen wrestler A and wrestler B, who have no history with one another, randomly wrestling each other. Through working the crowd, using facial expressions, movements in the ring, selling the opponent's moves, establishing who are heels and baby faces through rule bending (subtle and blatant).... yeah, zillions of stories are/have been told. Hell, TV squash matches tell stories.
Sorry if I'm being too literal, not trying to be a dick.
luca brasi

Postby jdw » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:26 pm

krayzie Bone wrote:Actually Ricochet has been wrestling since like 2005 or even earlier so you can't really call it young guy vs vet match.

Misawa debuted on 08/21/81. The match with Jumbo that I referenced was 06/08/90. Misawa was a few days away from his 28th birthday.

Yet he was the "young guy" in the match, while Jumbo obviously was the vet, the big(gest) star in the promotion.

Generico isn't that old, and hasn't been working a ton of years longer tha Ricochet. But in PWG, he *is* the vet. He's been here for half a decade. Ricochet is the "young gun" new to the promotion.

I also wouldn't say that the match was telling a story. These days fans think frequent near pins equals a story, but that's not really what a storyline match is.

I wasn't putting the match over for its nearfalls. There was more to what they were doing than the pin attempts.

Two guys have to wrestle multiple times before a match tells a story.

Two guys can wrestle a story match the first time out. The first Jumbo-Misawa (Tiger Mask II) match in 1988 was a story match. Their second match was a story match.

We've also all seen people who've worked together a ton throw story to the wind and just work a spot match.

John
jdw

Postby jdw » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:39 pm

krayzie Bone wrote:May be things are different in California but as far as I know a story match is usually based on a feud between two wrestlers, a match usually tries to tell a story about a struggle between two competitors, thus telling a history inside a wrestling ring.

A story match is just that: it tells a story.

It doesn't have to be the 50th Dusty-Flair match to have a story. Ricochet-Claudio from BOLA was a story match at its most basic:

Big Guy vs Little Guy

The two did a very good job working it.

When a guy just keeps kicking out of near finishers, that's not telling the story.

Again, Generico and Ricochet did quite a bit before going on their run to the finish.

In addition, how the nearfalls are used is a piece as well. One can get tired of near-fall-o-rama in "modern" wrestling where a ton of spots are tossed out in My Turn, Your Turn fashion and they start having deminishing returns. In this match, Generico did a hell of a job selling that he thought the kid was going to stay down. He'd early gotten across being annoyed/frustrated by the kid, and did a very good job of walking that fine line of a slow build to going heel which he never fully crossed over into.

I have no idea if the cameras are going to catch all of his selling / expressing, but my group was practically on iso-cam watching him when the two were apart (such as Ricochet in the ring while Generico was outside). It was a terrific performance.

I'm not a big fan of story matches anyway, in my opinion it takes away from wrestling.

Pro Wrestling *is* a story. It has been since day one.

John
jdw

PreviousNext

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum