What was the longest fight in history of wrestling

Everything Else, Except for Advertising. Nobody likes a shill.

What was the longest fight in history of wrestling

Postby guerrilla_fan » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:12 pm

I have some doubts about which is the longest fight in history of wrestling, although I'm not sure.

Thanks for your help
guerrilla_fan

Re: What was the longest fight in history of wrestling

Postby BadFurDay » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:40 pm

Many matches in the early century lasted hours. That's how people liked them.

Off the top of my head, Ed Lewis (the guy who trained Lou Thesz) had a match that lasted several hours I believe, about 3 or 4, which is called "the longest match in pro wrestling history".

And there was that 10+ hour greco-roman wrestling match at the 191* olympics.

In the modern day, I'd say go look at some Inoki stuff. He did some half-shoot half-booked matches which lasted a couple hours at times.

And in the last 10 years, there are a couple of CHILARA's ciberneticos which definitely lasted way longer than the longest royal rumbles.
BadFurDay

Postby krayzie Bone » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:13 am

In modern wrestling era the longest match was Chris Hero vs CM Punk in IWA Mid South, it was 90 minutes long. I was at that show live, it was one of the best wrestling matches I have ever seen.
krayzie Bone

Postby BadFurDay » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:01 am

krayzie Bone wrote:In modern wrestling era the longest match was Chris Hero vs CM Punk in IWA Mid South, it was 90 minutes long. I was at that show live, it was one of the best wrestling matches I have ever seen.

I'm pretty sure a couple of CHIKARA's ciberneticos are longer than that.
BadFurDay

Postby dirtydutch » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:29 pm

Honky Tonk Man vs Ultimate Warrior
dirtydutch

Postby krayzie Bone » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:32 pm

Honky Tonk Man and Ultimate Warrior are wrestlers? Anyways I have never seen a Chikara match that is 90 minutes long and I saw a lot of Chikara matches.
krayzie Bone

Postby El Asian » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:52 pm

Chikara had a match years ago between Lance Steel and Darkness Crabtree that lasted for 24 hours
El Asian

Postby Fsportsentertainment » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:11 pm

Fsportsentertainment

Postby krayzie Bone » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:14 pm

Oh yeah that's right I remember that match, that was some funny shit, but still not a legit wrestling match. But yeah that was funny as hell.
krayzie Bone

Postby ktsuki01 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:14 pm

Oh, what a good topic. I only know about current wrestling the longest matches so here are the longest matches I can think of off the top of my head.

As mentioned above, Hero vs. Punk met and had a 90 minute two out of three falls match that actually required extra time to complete. I believe it ends at 95 minute mark. Punk and Hero (and Colt Cabana) have done many one hour broadways, but this is the longest as far I know.
http://www.smartmarkvideo.com/IWA-Mid-S ... sville-IN/

For Ring of Honor, the longest match would have to be the Testing the Limit show from August 7th, 2004, in which Austin Aries faced Bryan Danielson in another two out of three falls that went 75 minutes. This seems endemic of a trend towards longer matches in the early 2000s, thanks to the success of the Punk-Joe Trilogy that have been shied away from recently, but then again looking at recent "one hour draws" Tyler Black and Austin Aries at Final Battle 2009 and Tyler Black and Nigel McGuiness early 2009, I can't blame them for not having as many.
http://www.rohwrestling.com/pastresults.php

And also mentioned above, the longest match in recent years was the Chikara Cibernetico. The 2nd Cibernetico in fact, The Cibernetico Returnth from 2005, and it lasts 103 minutes, almost twice the length of more recent Ciberneticos, which have been coming in shorter and shorter every year ever since. (Maybe, not sure, but its been feeling like that.)
http://www.smartmarkvideo.com/Chikara-D ... ertown-PA/

So, I think the more challenging question is what is the longest match with only one or less falls?
All that I can think of is of one hour matches, but none that have gone over that.
ktsuki01

Postby DjEn3rgy21 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:05 pm

El Asian wrote:Chikara had a match years ago between Lance Steel and Darkness Crabtree that lasted for 24 hours

Holy fuckin ell!!!!!!!!! 24 fucking hours????
DjEn3rgy21

Postby Lord Akiyama » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:48 pm

I think the Ed Lewis match mentioned was five hours. By the last hour, the audience left, two referees had passed out, and the third finally called it quits.
Lord Akiyama

Postby Meltman » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:55 pm

DjEn3rgy21 wrote:
El Asian wrote:Chikara had a match years ago between Lance Steel and Darkness Crabtree that lasted for 24 hours

Holy fuckin ell!!!!!!!!! 24 fucking hours????

Yes, a semi-comedy promotion had a match between 2 masked characters and it lasted 24 hours. Obviously it did.
Meltman

Postby Barbed_Wire_Bored » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:54 pm

I have the '101 strangest wrestling matches' book, and that has a few good ones in it.

The 3 longest ones are:

1) Lance Steel vs Darkness Crabtree (CHIKARA) Very dubious record this one - Series of matches all in one night, each match directly follow each other. Each time Darkness Crabtree issued a rematch to Steel, which he accepted each time of course.

First fall (Normal match) Steel pinned Crabtree in 13 seconds by pinfall
Second fall (Normal match) Steel pinned Crabtree in 10 seconds by pinfall
Third fall (Submission match) Steel used a side headlock to make Crabtree submit in 8 seconds
Forth fall (Hardcore match) Crabtree went to grab a table, but Steel caught him in a backslide before he could even exit the ring, and won by pinfall in 8 seconds
Fifth fall (Falls count anywhere) Steel pinned Crabtree in 27 seconds
Final fall (Falls count anywhere, No Count-Outs) The two fought outside the ring and out of the fire exit, disapearing behind a nearby building along with the referee, and were not seen for the rest of the night. The next night however Chikara ran a show in Nebraska 35 miles away, just after the events first match ended, both Steel and Crabtree crashed through the door, and after a short tustle of chops and throws into the steel steps, Steel made Crabtree submit with a Boston Crab in a total time of 23 hours and 36 minutes.

2) Joe Stecher vs Ed Lewis - Omaha, Nebraska July 1916 - Lasted five hours, from 1:30pm to 6:30pm

3) Antonio Anoki vs Masa Saito - Ganryujima Island, Japan, October 1987 - Jungle Island Deathmatch, Lasted 2 hours and five minutes

I typed all this out by choice, so I hope at least someone else enjoys it too :)
Barbed_Wire_Bored

Postby Meltman » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:06 pm

Barbed_Wire_Bored wrote:I typed all this out by choice, so I hope at least someone else enjoys it too :)

As long as you enjoyed it.
Meltman

Postby Barbed_Wire_Bored » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:49 am

I did, I just hoped that someone else did too. I loved doing research into stuff like that, which is why I got that book to begin with :)
Barbed_Wire_Bored

Postby Lord Akiyama » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:57 am

I enjoyed it. XD
Lord Akiyama

Postby Barbed_Wire_Bored » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:35 pm

Ha, well good :D

Even better, the full Jungle Island Deathmatch is on youtube in about 12 parts..... when I have a spare few hours, I may well watch it. As bad as it probably is (the book at least says they stall, a LOT) it's historic!
Barbed_Wire_Bored

Postby Whoblehwah » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:57 pm

101 Strangest Wrestling matches? Gotta try and find that someday......
Whoblehwah

Postby Barbed_Wire_Bored » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:10 pm

I could post a link to it, although you could easily find it yourself I guess, plus I'm not sure what the rules are like here on linking to sites like Amazon.
If you put that in google though, it's the first link that comes up anyway. :)
Barbed_Wire_Bored

Next

Return to General Discussion