2010 Death thread

Everything Else, Except for Advertising. Nobody likes a shill.

Re: 2010 Death thread

Postby Meltman » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:40 am

FORMER CZW CHAMPION, ROH HEADLINER TRENT ACID PASSES AWAY
by Mike Johnson @ 2:27 PM on 6/18/2010

I am extremely sorry to report that Philadelphia-based Northeastern independent wrestler Michael "Trent Acid" Verdi was found dead this morning. He was only 29 years old.

Under his Trent Acid ring name, Verdi was one of the "can't miss" prospects of the Philadelphia independent scene during the early part of the decade, first as one half of the Backseat Boyz with long-time friend and partner Johnny Kashmere and then later as a singles competitor.

Acid held just about every title there was in Combat Zone Wrestling, which was really his home promotion in many respects and later on main evented for Ring of Honor in a great feud against Homicide.

In watching him at that point, there was no doubt he was going to go on to make a lot of money for a larger promotion, but personal problems bogged him down and he never seemed to overcome them.

Acid was arrested and jailed on several drug charges, being given probation. When that probation was violated, he ended up serving time in jail. During that time period, he noted to everyone how he wanted to get clean and get back to his two loves, music (he idolized Eddie Vedder) and pro wrestling.

Unfortunately, his personal issues continued upon his release, including recently being arrested for attempting to take dates with Big Japan Wrestling, which would have violated his probation yet again.

The early belief is that Verdi's death was drug-related, but nothing official has been ruled at this time. I know in recent weeks, he had been trying to get his life in order yet again. When I last spoke to him a few months back at a JAPW event, he was really excited about finally being "clear-headed" and wanted to do an interview discussing everything that had gone on in his life over the last few years.

I'll be writing a lot more about Verdi and his career (he really was one hell of a star locally during the hottest time period the Philadelphia indy scene ever had) in the days to come, but I just don't have the heart to look back on his career right now.

Verdi was someone who, deep down, had a great heart for the business and his friends - all of whom, myself included - were pushing for him to get back to being the performer he used to be and to find some happiness in his life. It really, truly breaks my heart that it's never going to happen on a level I can't even begin to convey in writing.

I am sure a lot of people are going to write about his drug issues and arrests in recent years and use that to paint a picture of who he was, but to me, I'd prefer to remember the Trent Acid who made so many independent shows fun with his antics and in-ring work, the "How is Gee" chants that no one but the old NYC bus trip crew got, the incredible series against Teddy Hart, his CZW feud with Ruckus, the Backseats' great turn in Phoenix Championship Wrestling and the Homicide feud.

I'd like to remember that time period where Trent Acid was poised to take on the world. That's the Michael Verdi I want to remember and the Michael Verdi I'll personally miss like hell.

Like I wrote, I'll have more on this in the days to come, but right now, I just don't have the heart to write anything more.

Our deepest condolences to Michael's family, friends and fans.

Real sad stuff. Acid was very talented, if only he'd kept his head straight.
Meltman

Postby CheMateo » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:54 am

The sad thing is Acid's death is not a surprise. It was only a matter of time. The dude was too young.
CheMateo

Postby TigerDriver98 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:48 pm

Very sad that Acid's life went down the path it did. He was one of the guys that got me into Indy wrestling in the early 2000's. I dug his matches with Homicide especially.

Here is a fun match he had with Ruckus in SoCal's EPIC Pro Wrestling in 2002 (with commentary by Excalibur no less)
TigerDriver98

Postby Meltman » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:00 pm

Add basketball legend Manute Bol to the list. This will indeed be a shitty year.
Meltman

Postby CheMateo » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:09 am

Former WWE wrestler Lance Cade (a/k/a Lance McNaught) is dead at age 29, according to Mike Johnson of PWInsider.com. The cause of death has not been revealed.

World Wrestling Entertainment was informed Friday morning by Lance McNaught
CheMateo

Postby bford24 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:17 pm

29 is way too young. I am turning 29 today and I can't possibly imagine my life ending at that age.
bford24

Postby jacob_burman » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:32 pm

SUch a damn good talent too. I really enjoyed watching Lance wrestle. Such a damn shame...
jacob_burman

Postby El Asian » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:00 am

as posted already, Luna Vachon passed away over the weekend and now JC Bailey recently passed away as well
El Asian

Postby CheMateo » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:32 pm

Knowing the details of Luna's final month is quite sad. Luna never got the proper credit for carrying Sable. Now another death, JC Bailey. The guy was only twenty six years old. That is way too young by any standard. Just a domino of deaths, such a shame.
CheMateo

Postby El Asian » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:57 am

CheMateo wrote:Knowing the details of Luna's final month is quite sad. Luna never got the proper credit for carrying Sable. Now another death, JC Bailey. The guy was only twenty six years old. That is way too young by any standard. Just a domino of deaths, such a shame.

now it gets worse although I should also note that WCCW manager, Skandor Akbar, also passed away recently as well, maybe a week ago, now add in another death as John Zandig's son just recently committed suicide as well
El Asian

Postby TigerDriver98 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:31 pm

This one really bums me out... R.I.P. Leslie Nielsen

Of course everyone remembers his comedy, but he was also pretty good as a serious actor, as seen here in Creepshow:
TigerDriver98

Postby El Asian » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:17 pm

very sad to hear about Nielson, seems like part of my childhood died as well as I really enjoyed many of his movies growing up (his comedies obviously)
El Asian

Postby ASSQUATCH » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:42 pm

Hearing about Leslie Nielsen was like a punch in the gut.
ASSQUATCH

Previous

Return to General Discussion