Generico / TNA

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Generico / TNA

Postby jdw » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:13 pm

Thoughts on Generico getting a pair of TNA tryout matches?

Mine are twofold:

You pretty much root for all the guys you like to make as good of a living as possible.

But TNA also is something of a hellhole, and you'd really not want to see him sunk by it.

John
jdw

Re: Generico / TNA

Postby TelkEvolon » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:05 pm

I think it is great that he is getting a chance and great that ROH is letting him.

But I don't know if anything will come of it. What happened with the Young Bucks was pretty damn rare. They were also lucky yo get put against Shelley and Sabin. Without that, they probably wouldn't of come off near as good.
TelkEvolon

Postby DjEn3rgy21 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:14 am

I hope not, they would sink him. Honestly that company just doesn't have it and it's just a waste of time there. The indys love Generico, and yes it would be great to see him on a grander stage, but I don't think that would be the best place for him.

The Bucks got lucky they got a great break. But they also have killed some great characters and themes for some of my favorite people.

Honestly, I love watching him in PWG and ROH. He's the one of the real people I still love in wrestling today. I'd hate to see a good thing come to an end.
DjEn3rgy21

Postby BadFurDay » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:10 am

They'd sink him, but he'd get a career and money.

Totally not worth it, yeah, destroying your body on the indies for more and more years is so much better.

I wouldn't blame Generico the least if he went to TNA.
BadFurDay

Postby jdw » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:39 pm

As I said, I root for all the guys I like to make as good of a living as possible. I don't begrudge anyone going to the WWE and making a good living.

The only times I temper that is if it looks like potentially a bad career move. TNA is really quite a mess, and tends to eat people up. I'm not sure if it's a bad career move, simply worry that it could be.
jdw

Postby onlxn » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:12 pm

TNA is hot garbage, but I don't think many indy guys have been particularly hurt by signing with them. Homicide spent several years making decent money for job duty, and moved right back into the ROH title picture upon his release... guys with shorter unsuccessful runs, like Aries and Strong, didn't have trouble re-joining the indies either. A guy like Nigel, who's largely been a bust in TNA (probably not his fault), would be welcomed back with open arms by the indy faithful. Fans seem to give guys mulligans for their TNA tenures, as they understand that it's a nonsensical place. And while there are injury risks in TNA for the spottier types, it's not like Generico's avoided those risks in his indy career... it least TNA would give him some financial upside in exchange for them.

I wouldn't particularly enjoy seeing Generico involved in that shitshow, but it'd be a pretty great thing for his career. If Dixie's gonna keep throwing money away, I'd just as soon see him catch some of it.
onlxn

Postby RobGrayson » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:22 pm

I gave up on TNA ages ago, so it would suck that I would never watch Generico anymore.

But if the money is worth it, then he totally should go.
RobGrayson

Postby DjEn3rgy21 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:07 pm

RobGrayson wrote:I gave up on TNA ages ago, so it would suck that I would never watch Generico anymore.

But if the money is worth it, then he totally should go.

I doubt it's worth it in TNA if your not some old name. They pay shit from what some people say. Some people don't mind the pay doing what they love, but in the long run, Generico fights all over as to over there would just be limited to that brand. Wouldn't seem worth it honestly.

To me Generico stands for the everyday Indie fan. I'd hate to see that image get twisted like we have seen with others. They would limit his moves and his persona. Without all that Generico would be less then Generic.
DjEn3rgy21

Postby Souf Centrol » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:45 pm

I would like for as many bad ass indy stars to go to TNA then maybe they willl make a turn for the good.....wait....they have fallen angel and did nothing. Nevermind I take that back. Only reason I would want him to go is to make more money. He will be missed if he goes
Souf Centrol

Postby jdw » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:52 pm

onlxn wrote:I wouldn't particularly enjoy seeing Generico involved in that shitshow, but it'd be a pretty great thing for his career. If Dixie's gonna keep throwing money away, I'd just as soon see him catch some of it.

Generally agree, and following money for a stretch isn't a bad thing for these guys. It's a tough life.

I just have a slight worry about something along the lines of Great Russo Idea #637: Generico Drops The Mask & "We're Going To Give You A Monster Push After You Drop It". :) And the money being such that Generico thinks, "might as well".

John
jdw

Postby OSKMIA » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:43 pm

Souf Centrol wrote:....they have fallen angel and did nothing.

Whoa slow down there. Winning the NWA world tag team titles 6 times, the X-Division title 3 times, 2004 World X Cup winner and been the only guy of three to win a 5 star match in TNA is hardly nothing.

DjEn3rgy21 wrote:They would limit his moves and his persona.

His persona definitely but I doubt his moves though. That's one of the few things that I like about TNA they don't hold their wrestlers back in the ring.

I'd say go for it, what's he got to lose? he wouldn't miss a beat if he returns in the indies like it was said earlier.
OSKMIA

Postby BadFurDay » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:37 pm

OSKMIA wrote:
Souf Centrol wrote:....they have fallen angel and did nothing.

Whoa slow down there. Winning the NWA world tag team titles 6 times, the X-Division title 3 times, 2004 World X Cup winner and been the only guy of three to win a 5 star match in TNA is hardly nothing.

That. Baffling to call his use "nothing".

Same goes for Homicide, he had a pretty strong career as LAX, then as an X-division midcarder.

And same goes for every indy star that went to TNA. Joe is misused, but he's still considered a main event guy. Nigel seems to be in management's soft spot and could turn into something big after being propelled in a sick feud with Kurt right away.

Obviously they're not used as intensively as they are in the indies - but isn't that the goal of any wrestler's career? To be given some rest time, and only have to haul a serious big match every two or three months?
BadFurDay

Postby Souf Centrol » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:06 pm

We are talking about dixie carter aren't we? I know what he did in the past but what have they done for him recently? He's gotten better and they used him less. Dixie carter isn't doing anything right so I stick by my statement.

Nigel isnt being used, don't know if he's injured or not but he hasn't been seen in a while. They fucked over homocide after they disbanded lax. Also TNA's schedule isn't rough, they don't travel and they don't work as often as wwe so why would they need a break?
Souf Centrol

Postby OSKMIA » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:31 pm

Souf Centrol wrote:We are talking about dixie carter aren't we? I know what he did in the past but what have they done for him recently? He's gotten better and they used him less. Dixie carter isn't doing anything right so I stick by my statement.

Wrong Dixie's been the president since 2003 so I doubt she was the cause for his down fall. I think the people you should direct the finger at is Eric Bischoff. Think about it everything became a complete shithole as soon as he came in, not that it wasn't before, but it's even worse now. Also Nigel was getting a huge push when he first came in to TNA then who came into the company Bischoff and then misusing of Nigel occured... coincidence? I don't think so.
OSKMIA

Postby TelkEvolon » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:29 pm

OSKMIA wrote:
Souf Centrol wrote:We are talking about dixie carter aren't we? I know what he did in the past but what have they done for him recently? He's gotten better and they used him less. Dixie carter isn't doing anything right so I stick by my statement.

Wrong Dixie's been the president since 2003 so I doubt she was the cause for his down fall. I think the people you should direct the finger at is Eric Bischoff. Think about it everything became a complete shithole as soon as he came in, not that it wasn't before, but it's even worse now. Also Nigel was getting a huge push when he first came in to TNA then who came into the company Bischoff and then misusing of Nigel occured... coincidence? I don't think so.

Oh yeah, the final 2 shows before Bischoff came in were very good, AJ vs Joe vs Daniels, AJ vs Daniels, Angle vs Wolfe, and a pretty solid undercard. Then they came in and everything turned into a lame WWE spin-off.
TelkEvolon

Postby BadFurDay » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:24 pm

Souf Centrol wrote:Nigel isnt being used, don't know if he's injured or not but he hasn't been seen in a while

Nigel has been "forced" by TNA to finally do both arms operations so that he can hopefully be 100% again.

Had been cleared to come back last week, but upon further inspections the doctors asked him to take a couple more weeks off to rest before coming back.
BadFurDay

Postby WrestlingFanMatt » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:29 pm

If Nigel did have surgery on his arms that good since he was never the same when he last hurt himself a year or so ago. As for Generico, he might be a good addition to the X-Division but i'm not sure how well he'd fit in overall
WrestlingFanMatt

Postby jacob_burman » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:38 am

I think Dixie still has final say over anything to be honest. It's her father's money being put into the company and the one person that lost the power were the Jarretts', not Carter. Honestly, it'll be good for Generico as he'll be paid more there than the Indys. Plus, he'll still be able to work the Indys anyways, just maybe not RoH. He can still do the PWG shows and other side gigs. The only bad thing is they will probably shit all over his character.
jacob_burman

Postby The_Sharpshooter » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:26 am

According to NoDq.com....

"As noted before, TJ Perkins, El Generico and women's wrestler Divina Fly all received TNA tryout matches before the recent iMPACT tapings. Out of those three, it's said that Divina is the most likely to be signed to a deal
."

Well, looks like El Generico will NOT be joining TNA anytime soon. I have to say, I am a little relieved. :mrgreen:
The_Sharpshooter

Postby ESPINOZA316 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:55 pm

It's crazy how the majority of the people that shit on TNA here are WWE fans. I love the indy scene but when it comes to tv wrestling TNA is far superior to that pg garbage known as WWE.
ESPINOZA316

Next

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum