Kurt Russellreunion 2: The Reunioning on January 29, 2011!

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Re: Kurt Russellreunion 2: The Reunioning on January 29, 201

Postby Souf Centrol » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:14 pm

Had a ball last night. I sat next to El Hijo who is a cool guy. Gave Helms A LOT of shit, gave vampiro even more shit after the juggulos were cheering for him. Kept calling the one loud juggulo a bitch all night which was fun. After hearing from everybody at the convention how they acted at the roh show I wasn't going to allow them to fuck the show up for me. Atleast on my side. I heard Energy was shutting them up on his side too.

I seemed to be the only one going for Joey....to the point where THE WHOLE CROWD would say "sucks!" Everytime I chanted "Joey Ryan!" I thought someone would help me but more people joined thhe sucks chant. I haven't been hoarse from a show in a while. All in all I enjoyed myself
Souf Centrol

Postby eastbay510 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:21 pm

Any details on the matches? which were good which were bad, that kind of thing?
eastbay510

Postby Souf Centrol » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:36 pm

Cedric Alexander, Brandon Gatson, Candice LeRae, & Willie Mack over "Pretty" Peter Avalon, Caleb Konley, "The Manscout" Jake Manning, & ODB replacing Christina Von Eerie.
This match was better than I expected. Cedric was impressive and I wouldn't mind seeing him again. People still hating on gatson, LeRae is LeRae so you know we loved her. Willie got a BIG pop. Peter smacked ODB on the ass to tag lol The....manscout....um...yeah I would have prefered Malachi sorry. ODB just cruised thru the match barely doing anything just showing her camel toe to the crowd which sadly was enough for me. I kept staring lol

Mr. Aguila over Rey Buccanero
This was a good match, even though a lot of people didn't know who they were. I honestly didn't know who they were until El Hijo put me on game. I've heard of essa rios but never seen him perform

Joey Ryan over Shane Helms, apparently the fans were on Helms with chants such as "Shut the fuck up" and "Don't come back"
Yeah I was one of those that were giving him alot of shit. The bitch ass Juggalos pissed Joey off cuz he was actually wrestling a good technical match like he said. He worked the same arm the whole match but they kept chanting "boring"

Low Ki over Davey Richards in what's said to be a great match
This is match of the year so fkkr(I know its the first show of the year lol). If this happened last year it would've been MOTY IMO

Jake Roberts over Kizarny in his retirement match.
It is what it is. A retirement match so a lot shouldn't have been expected. Kizarny paced the match pretty good. I kept cheering for Kizarny just for the fuck of it lol

Roddy Piper wins Legends Battle Royal
It was hilarious to watch these old guys wrestle at first but we got into it after a while. Honestly they still throw punches better than 80% of the guys that currently wrestle

Chris Hero over Kevin Steen. Steen -"At DDT4, everybody dies!"
This was a good match also. I think we'll be seeing a lot more of Steen which is great for us

The RockNES Monsters win the 4way tag, first team to qualify for DDT4 in March.

Claudio over Generico in the main event, Joey Ryan attacks Claudio after the match.
This match was honestly better than I thought it was going to be. I thought with the crowd being tired and it being obvious Generico wasn't going to be champ and tag champ. They worked their ass off and didn't let the tiredness of the crowd bother them
Souf Centrol

Postby Souf Centrol » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:39 pm

I forgot the 4 way. There was a lot of crazy spots and......total nonstop action lol but seriously everyone did a great job. There was never a dull moment in this match. This is where we started chanting "we want malachi!" Since the young bucks were heals
Souf Centrol

Postby DeadBlueBlazer » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:55 pm

Souf Centrol wrote:I forgot the 4 way. There was a lot of crazy spots and......total nonstop action lol but seriously everyone did a great job. There was never a dull moment in this match. This is where we started chanting "we want malachi!" Since the young bucks were heals

you forgot the part were Steen almost killed the kid from rockness monsters. he ran in started kicking ass.. he got that kid in some kind of packaged powerbomb and threw him backwards into the turnbuckle. the guy hit it hard and fell to the out side. that had to be the sickest bump if the night.
DeadBlueBlazer

Postby ozmania » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:20 pm

Live review from Mike Johnson on PWInsider: http://www.pwinsider.com/article/54802/ ... a.html?p=1

FUNK VS. PIPER, JAKE ROBERTS RETIRES, HERO VS. STEEN, GENERICO VS. CASTAGNOLI AND LOTS MORE: COMPLETE COVERAGE OF PRO WRESTLING GUERRILLA
By Mike Johnson on 2011-01-30 04:25:00
Pro Wrestling Guerrilla started with WrestleReunion promoter Sal Corrente announcing that Ken Patera and Jim Neidhart would not be working the Legends Battle Royal and would instead be replaced by Chavo and Mando Guerrero, who are legitimate legends in the Los Angeles area.

PWG owner Excalibur came to the ring and joked with the crowd that he just arrived from throwing rocks at the military. He noted that the show is starting a little late and "you should be so lucky that we start on time." He thanked everyone for coming and asked everyone to enjoy the show.

Cedric Alexander, Brandon Gatson, Candice LeRae, & Willie Mack vs. Peter Avalon, Caleb Konley,
ozmania

Postby Whoblehwah » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:55 pm

People were giving Shane Helms shit? -_-

God, indy wrestling fans are such big cry babies sometimes. OMG HE WAS IN WWE WAAAAAAH!
Whoblehwah

Postby camstun187 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:38 pm

^hey there IS actually a REASON they did it. Thou shall not fuck with HBK.
camstun187

Postby Matt Flash » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:38 pm

Whoblehwah wrote:People were giving Shane Helms shit? -_-

God, indy wrestling fans are such big cry babies sometimes. OMG HE WAS IN WWE WAAAAAAH!

I hated him when he was in WWE, and WCW, so there's that. I don't care where he's been, he's sucked to me.

This show was really fun, but long as shit. I wanted to be into the 2nd half of the show more, but it was difficult. The Battle Royal was just fun, and I feel bad for anyone who says differently. They definitely do punch better than 80% of the indies. Jake still does, too.

Fuck the juggalos. Jesus Christ fuck them so hard. I lost my voice more yelling at that dirty red haired bitch than I did for the show itself.

Davey/Ki was great, just sad that Davey can never beat him.

Hero/Steen was FANTASTIC. Steen has lost a pretty noticeable amount of weight, which is letting him be more agile again. Springboard Moonsault? REGULAR MOONSAULT? He really hasn't busted that stuff out in a while because of his knee. It made me happy that he took so much pride in getting the crowd to stick with the show. We were all tired, and he knew it was an uphill battle to keep us engaged, and he did exactly that. I can't wait to see who his partner in DDT4 is. It'd be sick if it was Generico (Won't happy), Super Dragon (Won't happen), or maybe... just maybe... Tozawa? I want to see them fight each other again, but that'd be a hilarious and really good dynamic of a team.

4-team Tag match was what it was. It was always going to be a spotfest, and I liked most of the spots. Post match... FUCKING STEENALIZER. Done deal. Show could've ended there and it would be worth my $25.

Claudio/Generico did everything I thought it would, and even though Generico had a slim chance of taking it (He's already been a double champion twice), they did a great job of really pushing the falsies to the absolute limit. And Claudio's finishing submission string was so sick and brutal looking. I loved it.

Great show, I left immediately after the 3-count to try and beat the rush, so I missed whatever Joey did. Can't wait for DDT4, if that is indeed the next show. If not, I'm still looking forward to the next show. Hero vs. Low Ki #1 Contenders match? Joey finally getting his BOLA Title shot? Let's hope so.
Matt Flash

Postby Lord Akiyama » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:45 pm

Everyone went ape-shit when the battle royal came down to Piper and Funk. It was the very first time those two ever squared off in any match, so we were apart of history. And it was bloody awesome.
Lord Akiyama

Postby El Hijo del Generico » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:29 pm

Souf Centrol wrote:Had a ball last night. I sat next to El Hijo who is a cool guy.

Fuck yes I am.

You get a lot of credit from me to be the only one in the building to not turn on Joey at the end. And yelling at the juggalo bitch was awesome.

I really think that it would have been better if the ICP guys themselves were at the show, because they seem to like wrestling and might have checked their followers from being disrespectful. During the battle royale when Vampiro was out in ICP gear, it didn't bother me that they chanted for him in a juggalo way - it made sense. The random yelling the rest of the time was tiresome in the extreme.

With more time to think on it, I think the Claudio-El Generico match was an absolute classic. This show had something like 9 matches on it. We were sitting down before 8 pm, and they started wrestling at about 1 AM. This was a crowd that had been yelling and chanting for five hours, and the crowd was quiet for a while. Not disrespectful quiet, just tired. But by the end the whole crowd was coming unglued and screaming, and that really speaks highly of the quality of this match. It was one of those great matches where you really thought, "holy shit Generico might pull this out!" I don't think anyone expected him to win, but they really made me believe he might, which is the best thing a wrestling match can do.

Joey seems to be back to being solidly heel, which is fine by me because I like to boo him, and I think he makes a much better heel, especially his current gimmick. I like the storyline of Steen going on the warpath, and Joey willing to chase Claudio a little more as a heel. It all works for me.
El Hijo del Generico

Postby Lord Akiyama » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:16 pm

Someone on another board is concerned the battle royal won't make the DVD because of the entrance music used. But dammit if there was a match I want on DVD, especially since Excalibur and Davey Richards did commentary, that's the one.
Lord Akiyama

Postby b2u » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:22 pm

So after a bus ride from West Hills to Van Nuys, a shuttle from Van Nuys to LAX and then another shuttle from LAX to the Hilton, I finally got there. Show was epically long. Steen was right when he said "I know it's midnight, but let's get the real PWG shot started!"

8 Person Tag-Fun, Needed more high flyin' from Willie Mack though.
Essa Rios/Bucanero-Fun while it lasted, probably would have came off better if it were in Reseda.
Helms/Ryan-Wow, lot's can be said about this match, most of which are not good, so let's just leave it at that.
Ki/Davey-Awesome. Probably would have felt more epic if I had a better seat and the front row would sit down, but it's hard to complain when PWG puts on a show like this. Have to watch on DVD again because it is an early MOTYC.
Roberts/Bohdi-I went and got food. 12 bucks for a can of Coke, a hotdog and a bag of chips. Surprisingly, this wasn't Dodger stadium.

Intermission-Blue Moon on tap from the bar. Saw the NWA Hollywood crew watching their show in the lounge area. If someone from NWA Hollywood is reading this, give me a job! I'm an Avid editor!!!

WretleRoyal-Half train wreck, half nostalgia, and half not so s bad. Not surprisingly, no one bumped. All punch and kicks, but Piper and Funk as the final two was pretty cool considering they never faced each other ever. I don't think it should have taken so long though. I'm not even sure this will make DVD because of the entrance music. But whatever, it's one of those moments you'll never forget as a fan. Also surprised that Powers of Pain used their old WWF music.
Steen/Hero-Great, but missed about a 1/3 of the action because they went all over the building, but like the new finisher by Hero. Roaring Yakuza kick?!?
4 Way Tag-Change seats for a better view. This probably should have opened the show after intermission, but thats just me. They could have gone even crazier in this match, but I'm guessing their saving the goods for DDT4. Still a great match and nice to see RockNES monsters get a good tag push in PWG. They're my pick to win DDT4, more on that later.
World Title-Fantastic match. Didn't see Generico tapping to Claudio, but it happened. I guess as a message to Joey Ryan. Awesome match. It will come off so much better on DVD I bet. I thought the match was over when Claudio was going to hit the 2nd rope Ricola bomb but Generico reversed it into a hurricanrana. Smart for Claudio to work the leg because Generico didn't have enough strength to hit the top rope BRAINBUSTAHH! So Joey is in DDT, the Kings of Wrestling, Steen and the RockNES Monsters. Interesting considering Joey and Steen are flyin' solo right now and the Kings are doing their singles thing in PWG, but will see.

Overall, this would be the equivalent of a Supercard of Guerrilla.

DDT 4 Predictions
RockNES Monsters
Kings of Wrestling
Briscoes
Generation Me
Cutler Brothers
Fightin' Taylor Boys
Brandon Gatson/Willie Mack
Joey Ryan/Kevin Steen-Just for kicks considering their history. Plus, Steen clearly said he didn't care who his partner was.
b2u

Postby EnforceTheWorld » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:22 pm

Re: the juggalos.

I found it hilarious that the only "signs" in the entire ballroom were being held by juggalos... and that they were nothing more than the tops of Pizza Hut pizza boxes with sharpie pens. Those assclowns would hold them up even if no one was paying attention for some reason.

And during intermission a few of them were going up to their room, but were being crude and disrespectful and loud about it (naturally). At one point I was walking by the elevators and there were about four or five of them in an elevator, chanting or singing some ridiculous shit and jumping up and down IN THE ELEVATOR, making it bounce in a dangerous manner. Mind you, there were regular hotel guests in there and they were freaking out. A security guy came and told them all to get out and being the good little non-conformist anarchists (but really just losers) they did as they were told and tried making unfunny "This is profiling!" jokes afterwards. I personally went up to that security guy and apologized on behalf of all wrestling fans, and said that the rest of us hate them just as much.

He told me he knew what rooms they were staying in, and if there were any other problems, they'd be gone. :lol:
EnforceTheWorld

Postby Souf Centrol » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:05 pm

I wouldn't know why anyone else gave him shit but I personally NEVER liked him. Thesuper hero gimmick was lame as shit to me. So I gave him shit cuz I don't like him
Souf Centrol

Postby ajday » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:06 am

Souf Centrol wrote:

I wouldn't know why anyone else gave him shit but I personally NEVER liked him. Thesuper hero gimmick was lame as shit to me. So I gave him shit cuz I don't like him

I liked the superhero gimmick when they were able to use S.H.I.T. on television for Rosey, that part was always hilarious for me. And 3 Count was alright, too, as it was in the time when boy bands were popular and all you wanted to see was one band get their asses handed to them... But hey, every one has their own opinion about it.
ajday

Postby CP Munk » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:13 pm

Souf Centrol wrote:I seemed to be the only one going for Joey....to the point where THE WHOLE CROWD would say "sucks!" Everytime I chanted "Joey Ryan!" I thought someone would help me but more people joined thhe sucks chant

i guess it was just us 2 then haha.i never liked helms either,honestly that match between him and joey really blew. im a huge joey fan and understand it is not his fault.

after the match i tried to yell "dont come back" over everyone begging helms to "please come back"
CP Munk

Postby El Hijo del Generico » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:53 pm

CP Munk wrote:i never liked helms either,honestly that match between him and joey really blew. im a huge joey fan and understand it is not his fault.

Bullshit. Joey worked the same match he had with Gatson, the same arm-attack to submission gimmick, almost move for move. Helms didn't do much either, to be fair, but Joey was just as responsible. And the God awful long promos to start were unbearable and took the air out of the room. The match didn't necessarily blow, it was just kind of pedestrian, and both were at fault. On most indy shows that would have been a fine match. But in comparison to the incredible rest of the show, it looked much worse.
El Hijo del Generico

Postby eldink » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:22 pm

a couple of random thoughts

odb is awful...ten steps below cve..
i think helms was supposed to be the face...joey did a full blown heel promo and then helms came out and the crowd turned him heel....the first time on the ropes helms backed off and then joey did not...sorry, nothing was going to make helms the face....
terry funk is a god
kevin steen is the modern day terry funk...
sid from ring of honor is not a nice human being...
i really enjoy our champion
pwg never drops the ball
eldink

Postby DjEn3rgy21 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:33 pm

Souf Centrol wrote:Had a ball last night. I sat next to El Hijo who is a cool guy. Gave Helms A LOT of shit, gave vampiro even more shit after the juggulos were cheering for him. Kept calling the one loud juggulo a bitch all night which was fun. After hearing from everybody at the convention how they acted at the roh show I wasn't going to allow them to fuck the show up for me. Atleast on my side. I heard Energy was shutting them up on his side too.

Fuck yeah I shut em down on my side. I cleared out an entire section. I got fed up with their shit and did what I do best. lol

The event was a 50/50 thats all I'll say for now.

To be honest the convention crowd was bland, except for us PWG regulars it was an okay show energy wise. I prefer it back at our home now. Because outside people just don't know what wrestling is anymore. A lot of the guys had great things planned and the crowds threw them off their game.

The battle royal was great though. I loved it. And I was sad to see Jake go with tears in his eyes and no speech. He was great though. For a minute I was a kid again watching him sink the DDT.

And I'll say it, Steen vs Hero, finally a match I can say I enjoyed watching Hero in. I won't take credit from his in ring ability, but in this one, both turned it up like crazy.

Tag match was nuts too and the title match for those who stayed late. That was good too.

It was rough leaving at like 2am and getting home at 3 to wake up and go to work. But for PWG, I don't care. I'd pull an all nighter because that's how much I love this company.
DjEn3rgy21

PreviousNext

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum