Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Discussion

Tape Review: "Smells Like Steen Spirit," Aug. 19,

Postby ChrisV » Wed May 03, 2006 11:40 am

Tape Review: PWG 081905 results & thoughts

By Chris Vetter

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla returned to Los Angeles, Calif., on Aug. 19, 2005, for
ChrisV

Postby ToddMartin » Wed May 03, 2006 2:37 pm

"Other people do it too" is not a legal defense. If someone saw one of their DVDs and it had someone else's music on it, they could find themselves with a lawsuit that they don't want any part of. It's much less likely someone is going to wander into the JCC and figure it out. It's smart for them to edit the entrances off if they aren't paying for the music. They don't need any potential legal headaches, even if entrances are a fun part of the show.
ToddMartin

Postby onlxn » Wed May 03, 2006 3:14 pm

Yeah, as much as I'd like to see entrances etc. on the DVDs, PWG's absolutely right to exclude music they don't have rights to. They shouldn't be criticized for being smarter than other indy feds.

As a side-note, I wonder if the company actually *could* acquire the rights to some really cheap or public-domain stuff. I'd guess that the Papoose track that Jack Evans comes out to could be had for a pretty small amount, for instance, and you could always have Steen come out to "Ode To Joy" or something. It's obviously not something they should spend a lot of money on, but some legally cleared music would really enhance the enjoyment factor of the DVDs...
onlxn

Postby onlxn » Wed May 03, 2006 3:29 pm

Also, good review. I haven't yet watched the DVD, but I wasn't blown away by the show live. Glad to hear that it transferred well.
onlxn

Postby Big Joe » Wed May 03, 2006 4:50 pm

There were extras on Steen Spirit, but they were DVD-exclusive. A shame for you, because Charles Mercury's promo was tremendously insane.
Big Joe

Postby SoCalAndy » Wed May 03, 2006 4:51 pm

ToddMartin wrote:"Other people do it too" is not a legal defense.

Yeah, shame on a nigga who tried to run game on a nigga.
SoCalAndy

Postby evilpaz » Wed May 03, 2006 10:04 pm

I just noticed Vic the Brick right behind Kobe Bryant in that sig.
evilpaz

Postby ChrisV » Thu May 04, 2006 6:28 am

... I have ordered tapes only when Smart Mark has had a sale... I picked up this tape along with some other tapes that came out recently.

I generally hate DVDs, but I've had no problems with PWG DVDs, and I just placed an order for two shows on DVD. Those reviews will come soon!

Chris
ChrisV

Postby Suicidal Youth » Thu May 04, 2006 7:10 am

Cool review, man. Just for future reference, the move Steen used into the turnbuckle is known as the Steenalizer.
Suicidal Youth

Postby JustJay » Thu May 04, 2006 9:30 pm

ChrisV wrote:... I have ordered tapes only when Smart Mark has had a sale... I picked up this tape along with some other tapes that came out recently.

I generally hate DVDs, but I've had no problems with PWG DVDs, and I just placed an order for two shows on DVD. Those reviews will come soon!

Chris

PWG's DVDs always work because like ROH, Highspots uses top-line DVDs like the ones used for mainstream feature films, unlike the cheapo DVD-Rs SMV uses. They're 5 bucks cheaper than SMV's DVDs too! Good deal all around.
JustJay

Postby ChrisV » Fri May 05, 2006 8:35 am

Just for the record, I've never had problems with DVDs from ROH or FIP.

My problems come from Pittsburgh's IWC (they tend to freeze for a half a second or so), the England promotion 1PW (they don't play at all in three-quarters of all DVD players), and I've even had problems on occasion with Smart Mark Video's stuff.

I had a RF Video DVD that wouldn't play AT ALL in my regular DVD player, but it worked fine in my Playstation 2.

Obviously, the cases are cool for PWG, and I imagine most, if not all, of my future PWG shows will be DVDs.

Chris
ChrisV

thanks

Postby npdavis » Mon May 29, 2006 6:51 pm

I just ordered this from HS and I look forward to watching it this week. I'm finally going to get caught up on Pro Wrestling Guerrilla. Last show I saw was Zombies Shouldn't Run
npdavis

Re: thanks

Postby astro_zombie » Tue May 30, 2006 4:54 am

npdavis wrote:Last show I saw was Zombies Shouldn't Run

best show title ever.

..cause its true. zombies and running just dont mix.
astro_zombie

Return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Forum